My Perceptions Of The Way Farang Are Treated In Thailand

JohnGotti

Youth is favoured in most western countries as well, no surprise it's the same here.

Of course, its human nature.

I pulled up in my car at the bottom of a skytrain station this morning to pick up my friends, a group of Thai female University students. There was a farang lugging his mia up the street towards the bus stop and I really cannot express the sense of defeat/hatred in his eyes as he watched these micro-skirted vixens pile themselves into my car. He kept shaking his head as if to say, "Where God did I go wrong?". I had to pull over at the side of the road a little ways down because the emotions this farang poured out towards me were so powerful and they so clearly invoked the humility of humanity, that I was overwhelmed and afraid that I would crash. I was rocked back into reality when I realized what one of these girls was doing in my lap, she called it "practicing changing gears".

:) Step aside oldies cus us youngsters are coming through like a ten ton truck :D

So much better reading ones obvious fantasy than most peoples supposed reality on here :D

That practicing changing gear is normally called "gear hok" :D

I bow in the presence of the master sex machine and our ever present omnipotent guru with his understanding and infinite wisdom of all things Thai and farangisms :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Youth is favoured in most western countries as well, no surprise it's the same here.

I pulled up in my car at the bottom of a skytrain station this morning to pick up my friends, a group of Thai female University students. There was a farang lugging his mia up the street towards the bus stop and I really cannot express the sense of defeat/hatred in his eyes as he watched these micro-skirted vixens pile themselves into my car. He kept shaking his head as if to say, "Where God did I go wrong?". I had to pull over at the side of the road a little ways down because the emotions this farang poured out towards me were so powerful and they so clearly invoked the humility of humanity, that I was overwhelmed and afraid that I would crash. I was rocked back into reality when I realized what one of these girls was doing in my lap, she called it "practicing changing gears".

Well, she was sitting next to a knob.

I almost spewed a little Pepsi Max out my nose when I read this one!

Old men in a country like this will always be jealous of something they can never have again. Youth. True youth not youth at heart. Theres a huge difference. I am younger than alot of guys on here(28) but we all get old man. I will tell you honestly that when im 50+ and i see a snot nosed brat such as the way we act. We will both say the exact same things as some of these guys have said out of anger, jealousy, or what have you. Its a cycle. Some of these guys could get any woman they wanted when they were our age, but thier times have changed and our time will change as well. Enjoy it while you can :)

I don't know how many people watched this last rendition of "Survivor" on the television.  But I just realized that John Gotti reminds me so much of the contestant who went by the name of "Coach."  Coach might be a little nicer of a person with regards to how he treats others, but the outlandish, buffoonish ego is certainly in the same vein.

As far as the premise of the original post, well, I haven't seen it.  I live n Thon Buri, so we don't have many farangs hanging about, and most of them whom I have seen are on the young side.  But I don't see how they are treated any differently than I am at 51.  And on my few forays into Issan when I have met older foreigners, they seemed to be quite well accepted and even respected by the local community.  For example, I was in Loei once when an older American gent rode up on his Harley, and I was impressed by how many of the Thais went out of their way to wai him, say hello, drop by for a few words, etc.  This is only one example, but the Thais certainly were not rolling their eyes and trying to avoid him.

Edited by bonobo

Old men in a country like this will always be jealous of something they can never have again. Youth. True youth not youth at heart. Theres a huge difference. I am younger than alot of guys on here(28) but we all get old man. I will tell you honestly that when im 50+ and i see a snot nosed brat such as the way we act. We will both say the exact same things as some of these guys have said out of anger, jealousy, or what have you. Its a cycle. Some of these guys could get any woman they wanted when they were our age, but thier times have changed and our time will change as well. Enjoy it while you can :D

:) This is Thailand age is of no concern - wallet size is where the power is my friend.

Have you not seen the older wealthy Chinese business men with their movie star looking Hi-So mia nois in tow.

These girls are breath taking and no farang young or old gets a look in.

In Thailand money is power not youth i'm afraid.

You get a hard one from watching other foreigners?

Edited by basjke

Someone young, wealthy, handsome, popular,..., who has to prove that to himself by condescending provocations on a well known public forum daily for hours has a schizophrenic anankastic personality.

Someone young, wealthy, handsome, popular,..., who has to prove that to himself by condescending provocations on a well known public forum daily for hours has a schizophrenic anankastic personality.

Great word!  I had to look it up in the dictionary, I am embarrassed to say, but I am glad to have it in my vocabulary now!

Edited by bonobo

Bottom line, Thailand is A-OK for old guys with some money. Young guys, you don't need so much money if you are easy on the eyes. Of course, old guys are jealous of virile young guys, just as young guys are jealous of monied older guys. Young guys with lots of money, Gods on earth, old guys without money, OK, that is sad.

Great word!  I had to look it up in the dictionary, I am embarrassed to say, but I am glad to have it in my vocabulary now!

Cannot understand why this thread continues, can only be ????

Its not fair to many of you who fall into the minority and do behave, dress and act well...

MANY of us fall into the MINORITY and do BEHAVE, DRESS and ACT WELL????

What have you been smoking lately???

Please take note last week I walked down Nieuwstraat (the shopping street), Brussels, Belgium and did notice I was the ONLY farang shopping around, all Arab faces around me.

Now what do you think my perception of people living in Brussels was?

I don't give a hoot for perception and am happy to be the ONLY farang amid Thai faces in the village here :)

Its not fair to many of you who fall into the minority and do behave, dress and act well...
MANY of us fall into the MINORITY and do BEHAVE, DRESS and ACT WELL????What have you been smoking lately???Please take note last week I walked down Nieuwstraat (the shopping street), Brussels, Belgium and did notice I was the ONLY farang shopping around, all Arab faces around me.Now what do you think my perception of people living in Brussels was?I don't give a hoot for perception and am happy to be the ONLY farang amid Thai faces in the village here :)
Hi A  I agree,regards, M. :D

I feel like being young, or a farang-noi if you will, still puts me in a bit of a novelty category in terms of my interaction with Thais. Sometimes I will go somewhere, be it a shop or restaurant or hotel and I observe that Thai people are much more friendly towards me than they are to you, a 40,50,60 year old farang.

Now, there are likely a couple of reasons for this:

1. There are more of you around so they are more likely to have experienced a problem with one of you. You are not at all a novelty.

2. There are so many of you around that its like "Oh god, here comes another farang and his mia"

3. Simply being precieved as attractive is very valuable in the eyes of Thai people. So they look at me and think "Oh he looks like David Beckman/Tom Cruise/etc"... whereas with you, its like "Oh god, he's gonna ask me a million dumb questions and make me speak English".

4. I dress well, so might continue them in their line of thinking "Is he a famous athlete or model or movie star?", whereas when they see you they are thinking "Why does that farang sweat so much?"

Now, sometimes I am kinda scared for the future, how I will be treated in Thailand. To be honest, again, I really don't feel like you guys get treated very well. I border on the line of saying that Thai people more or less hate you. Its not fair to many of you who fall into the minority and do behave, dress and act well... Because you are simply a victim of the overall perception earned by farang in Thailand. Its as though you were to walk through the ghetto and see a young black male with baggy pants and tattoos. Maybe he is a law student but you will probably assume he is to be avoided and perhaps selling crack...

The perception of farang in Thailand, is again, "Oh god, xxxxxxxx" or "Oh god, xxxxxxxx + I hope I can get some money out of him".

Thoughts? Has the ship sailed? Is there any way to save the farang image in Thailand? In 30 years, will I receive the same eye rolling, "please someone blow my brains out", sighing, "why god me" reaction from Thai people where ever I go that you guys are receiving now? Will I be the one posting about how much Thai people hate me and how all they are interested in is my money? Will I be the one inquiring about sin sot and complaining about the sick buffalo stories?

you're that good looking eh teflon that you left your home country to chase women in thailand....... :)

was you running away as the demand for you was so high or something :D

Well, she was sitting next to a knob.

:)

Have you not seen the older wealthy Chinese business men with their movie star looking Hi-So mia nois in tow.

And why wait until one is old? Plenty have built or inherited theirs by their early to mid 20's. As Tony Montana said... first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women...

Real alphas by the way IMO are indifferent, which surely Tony/JG is in real life if he is one... and just having fun with you guys here in the networld.

:)

Is it me, or is this moron a complete weapon???

Im 40 and no one looks at me or treats me with any disrespect granted i am a handsome well dressed gent unlike yourself, perhaps we can meet up and i will show you the ropes shandy pants!

Good grief!!!!!!!!

A Moron I think with gay tendencies :)

Its a two way street. Kinda like if I were to imply that you were gay/an English teacher/unemployed/a participant in the special Olympics/bald you would come back and say "Well not that it matters, but I am not this thing" or "Not that I care at all what you or anyone else thinks, but I am not this thing" or the most common "I don't care what you or anyone else thinks, but I am not this thing. You are!"... Basically, if you did not care, or if you were not interested in this thread, you would have not responded, or better yet, responded with a joke. The moment you take the bait, it proves that you are in fact interested in the theories presented.

As to the theory that anytime someone says "hey, i am killing life" it means that they are on the verge of suicide and secretly miserable sounds a bit iffy. What about when someone goes out and buys a new car? Is it because they are trying to prove themselves to the world? What about someone who is going through girls by the dozens? Do they have mommy issues and an inability to commit? Is every rapper and every rap song just an expression of desperate insecurity? At the end of the day, this theory seems more like a way for you to rationalize your own short comings... "I don't need a Ferrari, I'm confident enough to take the bus!"

Edited by JohnGotti

.. i loved SuperBad ..but thats beside the point :D

..I do agree that a person can really change themselves physically, I also believe a person can change themselves inside too. Such as egotistical to humble, for example. :)

Its a two way street. Kinda like if I were to imply that you were gay/an English teacher/unemployed/a participant in the special Olympics/bald you would come back and say "Well not that it matters, but I am not this thing" or "Not that I care at all what you or anyone else thinks, but I am not this thing" or the most common "I don't care what you or anyone else thinks, but I am not this thing. You are!"... Basically, if you did not care, or if you were not interested in this thread, you would have not responded, or better yet, responded with a joke. The moment you take the bait, it proves that you are in fact interested in the theories presented.

As to the theory that anytime someone says "hey, i am killing life" it means that they are on the verge of suicide and secretly miserable sounds a bit iffy. What about when someone goes out and buys a new car? Is it because they are trying to prove themselves to the world? What about someone who is going through girls by the dozens? Do they have mommy issues and an inability to commit? Is every rapper and every rap song just an expression of desperate insecurity? At the end of the day, this theory seems more like a way for you to rationalize your own short comings... "I don't need a Ferrari, I'm confident enough to take the bus!"

All I got to say is, Ive been to all the YHSA (Young Handsome Stud Association) meetings here in Bangkok and you were never at any of the meetings.