My Perceptions Of The Way Farang Are Treated In Thailand

JohnGotti

I feel like being young, or a farang-noi if you will, still puts me in a bit of a novelty category in terms of my interaction with Thais. Sometimes I will go somewhere, be it a shop or restaurant or hotel and I observe that Thai people are much more friendly towards me than they are to you, a 40,50,60 year old farang.

Now, there are likely a couple of reasons for this:

1. There are more of you around so they are more likely to have experienced a problem with one of you. You are not at all a novelty.

2. There are so many of you around that its like "Oh god, here comes another farang and his mia"

3. Simply being precieved as attractive is very valuable in the eyes of Thai people. So they look at me and think "Oh he looks like David Beckman/Tom Cruise/etc"... whereas with you, its like "Oh god, he's gonna ask me a million dumb questions and make me speak English".

4. I dress well, so might continue them in their line of thinking "Is he a famous athlete or model or movie star?", whereas when they see you they are thinking "Why does that farang sweat so much?"

Now, sometimes I am kinda scared for the future, how I will be treated in Thailand. To be honest, again, I really don't feel like you guys get treated very well. I border on the line of saying that Thai people more or less hate you. Its not fair to many of you who fall into the minority and do behave, dress and act well... Because you are simply a victim of the overall perception earned by farang in Thailand. Its as though you were to walk through the ghetto and see a young black male with baggy pants and tattoos. Maybe he is a law student but you will probably assume he is to be avoided and perhaps selling crack...

The perception of farang in Thailand, is again, "Oh god, xxxxxxxx" or "Oh god, xxxxxxxx + I hope I can get some money out of him".

Thoughts? Has the ship sailed? Is there any way to save the farang image in Thailand? In 30 years, will I receive the same eye rolling, "please someone blow my brains out", sighing, "why god me" reaction from Thai people where ever I go that you guys are receiving now? Will I be the one posting about how much Thai people hate me and how all they are interested in is my money? Will I be the one inquiring about sin sot and complaining about the sick buffalo stories?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel like being young, or a farang-noi if you will, still puts me in a bit of a novelty category in terms of my interaction with Thais. Sometimes I will go somewhere, be it a shop or restaurant or hotel and I observe that Thai people are much more friendly towards me than they are to you, a 40,50,60 year old farang.

1. There are more of you around so they are more likely to have experienced a problem with one of you. You are not at all a novelty.

2. There are so many of you around that its like "Oh god, here comes another farang and his mia"

3. Simply being precieved as attractive is very valuable in the eyes of Thai people. So they look at me and think "Oh he looks like David Beckman/Tom Cruise/etc"... whereas with you, its like "Oh god, he's gonna ask me a million dumb questions and make me speak English".

4. I dress well, so might continue them in their line of thinking "Is he a famous athlete or model or movie star?", whereas when they see you they are thinking "Why does that farang sweat so much?"

Now, sometimes I am kinda scared for the future, how I will be treated in Thailand. To be honest, again, I really don't feel like you guys get treated very well. I border on the line of saying that Thai people more or less hate you. Its not fair to many of you who fall into the minority and do behave, dress and act well... Because you are simply a victim of the overall perception earned by farang in Thailand. Its as though you were to walk through the ghetto and see a young black male with baggy pants and tattoos. Maybe he is a law student but you will probably assume he is to be avoided and perhaps selling crack...

The perception of farang in Thailand, is again, "Oh god, xxxxxxxx" or "Oh god, xxxxxxxx + I hope I can get some money out of him".

Thoughts? Has the ship sailed? Is there any way to save the farang image in Thailand? In 30 years, will I receive the same eye rolling, "please someone blow my brains out", sighing, "why god me" reaction from Thai people where ever I go that you guys are receiving now? Will I be the one posting about how much Thai people hate me and how all they are interested in is my money? Will I be the one inquiring about sin sot and complaining about the sick buffalo stories?

John - don't take this personally - I hope you didn't spend all afternoon writing this. I know what you are getting at, but really, been done before, and as usual, to no avail. Save your breath mate. :)

No worries, it took about 4 minutes to write.

I could tell! (From another fast writer.)

Yeah, its really nothing new and there's nothing we can do. This places is what it is, take it or leave it, we are not in a position to change it or even make a dent in general public prejudices.

Edited by Jingthing

Simply being precieved as attractive is very valuable in the eyes of Thai people. So they look at me and think "Oh he looks like David Beckman/Tom Cruise/etc"...

Well I find it strange that a young playboy like you has nothing better to do than writing an average of 14 post/day on Thaivisa...

The phrase 'opening a can of worms' springs to mind.

But to be honest, and speaking as a younger farang, I've found that some of the more senior gentleman that I know have the most solid relationships with their ex working girl and their adopted familes.

The local women that have had a couple of kids, a failed marriage in the past and a questionable CV need stability not a fly by night young stud such as yourself. And they know its only for a matter of time.

Respect your elders.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Is it me, or is this moron a complete weapon???

Im 40 and no one looks at me or treats me with any disrespect granted i am a handsome well dressed gent unlike yourself, perhaps we can meet up and i will show you the ropes shandy pants!

Good grief!!!!!!!!

Is it me, or is this moron a complete weapon???

Im 40 and no one looks at me or treats me with any disrespect granted i am a handsome well dressed gent unlike yourself, perhaps we can meet up and i will show you the ropes shandy pants!

Good grief!!!!!!!!

sounds to me that his young boy act is wearing thin with the ladies and is jealous of us more mature folk. :)

I could be wrong of course - but I see Mr.GO6 has beat me to it.

I think he needs to get away from Sukhumvit. His entire perception of Thailand seems to be completely based on that.

If he were to do so, he would find that the opposite is actually true, and Thai people are very respective of older people, even farangs.

TH

My shrink can help - he has worked on my dumb dog who had visions of grandeur - thought he was Brad Pitt instead of Pitt Bull.

You are prolly one of those horrific fat guys who frequent the chat rooms on the prowl for anything that breathes ...

Maybe we run your ISP and report you to the Ego Police.

Take one dumb pill per day, not all 365 in one swallow.

Dont get high on your own supply - still applies.

Thais have always treated me very well.

All of them, male & female. Peace.

BR>Jack

So funny I spit out my "choppers" right into my bedpan. But that's okay, my 18 year old hunny-pie likes it when I gum her. She giggles a lot.

Keep 'em comin' young stud! Are you realated to that bad man in Rhode Island?

God, I wish I could keep comin' ... but at least I have my penile implant set to max! She likes that, too. She moans a lot.

The op came across to me as being somewhat vain. So I would think he/she would fit right in with the like minded people in whatever country he happens to visit. Look for the motor bike riders who comb hair at each traffic light, and/or pop zits. Hang around in front of the schools where the youngsters go and maybe try to impress them with you latest fashion clothing, dark glasses and please do not forget the earring and if your real uptown a nipple ring, showing of course. The only person who has been rude to me was a farang who seemed quite put off when I asked him "did your mother dress you when you last left the house"?

The King of New York is showing his colours...

JG, why do you think that all other members here are not "young"?

Just to get things clear, how old are you?

It will not help being conceited here. If fact, you will become just as notorious as Mr. Maigo6 and his buddy patklang.

To go ontopic, I have not observed what you refer to. ou see, I am assimilating Thai ways, I just observe what I wish to.

:D:D:D:):D:D

It's funny when younger guys have a lesson to teach the older guys.

Trust me in 5 years you'll think all your current opinions are embarassing.

A can of worms is a understatement or maybe you just enjoy abuse, I think you are about to get shit loads mate, need to grow up a little (mentally that is co's you talk like your a big boy)

I will leave the rest to the more articulate on the forum who can write without getting banned, me, well all I can think of is what a kinwanke_r

:D:D:D:):D:D

It's funny when younger guys have a lesson to teach the older guys.

Trust me in 5 years you'll think all your current opinions are embarassing.

I would hazard to guess that he doesn't have to wait 5 years - the last 30 mins must have been excrutiating.

Simply being precieved as attractive is very valuable in the eyes of Thai people. So they look at me and think "Oh he looks like David Beckman/Tom Cruise/etc"...

Well I find it strange that a young playboy like you has nothing better to do than writing an average of 14 post/day on Thaivisa...

Maybe he's waiting for the results to come back on his full health check-up. Hidden std's etc. can be painful for a young pretty boy:)

My ignorance is bliss cus the only time i get paranoid is when i come onto TV and then start looking at my mrs and thinking "ummm"

Well still here after 6 years with her, so she hasn't topped me yet.

:)

I was told I look like one of the most famous footballers of the moment only yesterday while sweating profusely playing badminton.

He'll be playing against Barcelona tonight too... :D

But not saying who!

:D Great post and I'll back to it later but now i've got a date with a bunch of Thais who apparently hate me but constantly invite me out, and its not to pay the bill cus we split it like any normal bunch of mates back home.

:) What a load of <deleted>.

JohnGotti got enough attention today. H is now assured enough of his being to dress up calmly and drive his most shiny Ferrari to the usual bar beer.

Can't help if you envy him a lot.

PS: Charity is still expected tomorrow from all you good TV members.

Do you bat for the other team ?