Helping Suu Kyi Through Mouse Clicks

george

NET CAMPAIGN FOR IRON LADY

Helping Suu Kyi through mouse clicks

A global internet campaign kicks off today, with support from world celebrities, to express support for Burma's detained political leader

A new website calling for the release of Burma's democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, and all of Burma's political prisoners, launches today with the backing of major celebrities and a coalition of NGOs and trade unions. The website will become the global hub of the international campaign to release the world's most famous political prisoner.

The launch coincides with the day that, according to the Burmese regime, Aung San Suu Kyi's house arrest expires. The UN has already ruled that her detention is illegal. More than 2,100 political prisoners are being held in Burma's jails.

http://www.64forSuu.org allows anyone to upload video, text, image or twitter messages of support to Burma's imprisoned democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi. http://www.64forSuu.org aims to demonstrate the scale of outrage over her continued detention by encouraging high profile individuals and the public around the world to write a 64 word message, a "64", that will be delivered on Aung San Suu Kyi's 64th birthday on June 19th.

Organisations supporting the website include; Burma Campaign UK, Amnesty International, the Trades Union Congress, Not On Our Watch, Christian Solidarity Worldwide, Open Society Institute and Avaaz. The site will launch with messages from high-profile supporters including George Clooney, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Vaclav Havel, David Beckham, Daniel Craig, and the British Prime Minster, Gordon Brown.

British Prime Minister, Gordon Brown's "64":

"I add my voice to the growing chorus of those demanding your release. For too long the world has failed to act in the face of this intolerable injustice. That is now changing. The clamour for your release is growing across Europe, Asia, and the entire world. We must do all we can to make this Birthday the last you spend without your freedom."

Not On Our Watch's "64":

"Nineteen years ago, the Burmese people chose Aung San Suu Kyi as their next leader. For most of those 19 years she has been kept under house arrest by the military junta that runs the country. We must not stand by as she is silenced again. Now is the time for the international community to speak with one voice: Free Aung San Suu Kyi."

Signed by: George Clooney, Sec. Madeleine Albright, Wes Anderson, Drew Barrymore, David Beckham, Bono, Matthew Broderick, Sandra Bullock, James Carville, Michael Chabon, Daniel Craig, John Cusack, Matt Damon, Robert De Niro, Dave Eggers, Jake Gyllenhaal, Vแclav Havel, Helen Hunt, Anjelica Huston, Scarlett Johansson, Nicole Kidman, Ashton Kutcher, Norman Lear, Madonna, Mary Matalin, Sen. John & Cindy McCain, Rose McGowan, Orhan Pamuk, Sarah Jessica Parker, Paulo Sergio Pinheiro, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Robert Rodriguez, Meg Ryan, Liev Schreiber, George Soros, Steven Spielberg, Meryl Streep, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Naomi Watts, Prof. Elie Wiesel, Owen Wilson.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-27

I just wrote my "64", who's next.

"Happy Birthday Iron Lady,

I hope that by June 19th this will all be over and you will be free to be you. Wish I could do more to help you and the people of Burma to live a free life in 2009 with a new future.

The world needs to help China to except that not all peoples want to live in China."

Edited by Burr

Sad to say, but the verdict is already assured. What is going on now is window dressing. The junta in Burma have clearly demonstraded after last years typhoon that they don't give a toss what the rest of the world thinks.

I just wrote my "64", who's next.

"Happy Birthday Iron Lady,

I hope that by June 19th this will all be over and you will be free to be you. Wish I could do more to help you and the people of Burma to live a free life in 2009 with a new future.

The world needs to help China to except that not all peoples want to live in China."

Although I totally understand where Mosha is coming from--only military-style intervention would change the generals attitude [ and, what with China's views on Burma this is never a possibility]--why not send the poor woman some sort of encouragement--futile though this may be.

For what it's worth, I too have sent my 64 words--the Burmese generals are probably too illiterate to read this though!

Sad to say, but the verdict is already assured. What is going on now is window dressing. The junta in Burma have clearly demonstraded after last years typhoon that they don't give a toss what the rest of the world thinks.

Whilst that is true its not a reason to do nothing.

“Each time a man stands for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.”

Robert Kennedy.

Whilst that is true its not a reason to do nothing.

"Each time a man stands for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Robert Kennedy.

Getting China to cut Military and Financial aid to the Burmese Generals might do the trick. But I fear China will turn a blind eye as usual as they wont want a Democratic free state next to a communist one. I fear all Asean Countries will just voice their disapproval and move on as it's only One Women. :)

(CNN) -- The global drumbeat against what is widely considered the unlawful detention of Aung San Suu Kyi in Myanmar grew louder Wednesday with the launch of an online campaign to let supporters leave 64-word messages of support for her.

It's funny. on all the other post about a lot of crap there are loads of replies buy only 6 here where we could be doing some good in the world!!

(CNN) -- The global drumbeat against what is widely considered the unlawful detention of Aung San Suu Kyi in Myanmar grew louder Wednesday with the launch of an online campaign to let supporters leave 64-word messages of support for her.

It's funny. on all the other post about a lot of crap there are loads of replies buy only 6 here where we could be doing some good in the world!!

Burr, I agree roi percent. It's sad, bitching and self interest dominate most forum topics.

From Not The Nation (The website you can trust):

YANGON – Over 20 years of oppressive military rule by Burma’s unelected military junta came to an abrupt end Tuesday as the mass signing of a strongly-worded online petition to the United Nations created “irresistible pressure,” according to former supreme commander Than Shwe, who announced the peaceful surrender of power at a press conference...

I understand people have good intentions when filing such petitions, but what does it really achieve except making you feel good?

Mosha,

Thats only 40 words, you are missing the point!

I know this is the Expats forum but please try harder!

• 4 weeks later...