Precision Wood Turning And Boring

JuniorExPat

I'm looking for a really experienced hand turner, or possibly a CNC turner, to turn items in rosewood to an accuracy of ±0.005. I also need to bore a central hole in the pieces, think along the lines of lamp stands but with a low tolerance for off-centre drilling.

If anyone has any recommendations I would be very interested to learn about them.

Many thanks is advance,

JxP

Are you trying to make bagpipes?

Accurate boring in wood by hand is a no no, any reasonably lengthed auger will go off centre.

You really need a metalwork lathe, I'm sure I've seen one along the river road somewhere.

David

Are you trying to make bagpipes?

Accurate boring in wood by hand is a no no, any reasonably lengthed auger will go off centre.

You really need a metalwork lathe, I'm sure I've seen one along the river road somewhere.

David

Agreed, the turning and boring may not necessarily need to be done by the same craftsman and I certainly can't see how the boring could be done by hand. The turning however could be done to the required accuracy by a very experienced wood turner.

If you recall where you saw that lathe I'd be keen to know.

Cheers,

JxP

JxP, is that ±0.005 microns, millimetres, centimetres, metres, kilometres, inches, feet, yards, miles or otherwise?

An old friend once told me that size was important, especially when it comes to boring a central hole in the piece.

JxP, is that ±0.005 microns, millimetres, centimetres, metres, kilometres, inches, feet, yards, miles or otherwise?

An old friend once told me that size was important, especially when it comes to boring a central hole in the piece.

Well spotted my little furry friend, thanks; the missing word is inches.

JxP

Well spotted my little furry friend, thanks; the missing word is inches.

JxP

5555555 Funniest thing I've ever heard...... he called Blinky " little & Furry"

Withe the tolerance that close he has to be making " Bongs"

I turned a replacement spindle once , quite a few years back..... and got about 4 times the value from a biker friend of mine who said it was the perfect bong

Thats life

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I'm happy to have brought a laugh into your day Gonzo . . . when I wrote those words I was thinking more of the most famous resident of Greenpatch and less of the man behind the avatar whom I agree can hardly be described as little although his personality does have a certain cute furriness to it that is almost befitting.

As a correction to my earlier correction and in anticipation of some koala-like pedantry, the missing word is obviously not "inches" it is in fact a missing phrase: "of an inch".

"Bagpipes & Bongs", yes that is most definitely inspiration for the name of my next venture!

So, no CNC or hand turners to recommend?

JxP

As a correction to my earlier correction and in anticipation of some koala-like pedantry, the missing word is obviously not "inches" it is in fact a missing phrase: "of an inch".

JxP

And as a correction to the correction of your earlier correction it should read: ±0.005 inches or 1/5000th of an inch.

I think. :)

Hey JxP, I like the my "little furry friend" bit. I reckon it is most apt. Thank you my pony-tailed pal.

And as a correction to the correction of your earlier correction it should read: ±0.005 inches or 1/5000th of an inch.

I think you will find ±0.005 inches = 1/200th of an inch

A correction to the correction to the correction of an earlier correction

Bugger. I hate it when I'm wrong. Rarely happens. :D

Hey JxP, I like the my "little furry friend" bit. I reckon it is most apt. Thank you my pony-tailed pal.

Me and my big mouth.

±0.005" it is then.

Thanks for the opportunity to bump this thread one final time, my marsupial mate.

I know some great wood turning craftsmen but I am having a little difficulty finding wood turning to the tolerances I need, do any TVers know of anyone with experience in this field in Chiang Mai (or further afield but ideally local to Chiang Mai).

Thanks,

JxP

Is it possible to turn wood to this kind of tolerece?

It would have to be a really hard close grained wood.

I mean, wet and dry would take off .005 in a couple of turns!

David

P.S. Give us all a clue what your making then . . . pretty please :)

I don't know anything about woodworking but I've never had to drive around for more than 15 minutes to find a standard metal turning lathe in Chiangmai. There are probably more CNC lathes around Lamphun but nobody is going to program them unless you have several hundred pieces to do.

The machine shop with one of the best reputations in Chiangmai is Yontakij in Sri Donchai road but they are usually very busy and may not want to fool around with wood. They may be able to recommend somebody though.

I think.

Yes it is but what BB meant to say was 5 thou (1/100th of an inch being 10 thou), which is the correct terminology in turning speak. However, you would be better off asking for the metric equivalent over here... something like plus or minus 0.13mm.

Could be a long shot, but PM technocracy as he's big into wood.

Is it possible to turn wood to this kind of tolerece?

It would have to be a really hard close grained wood.

I mean, wet and dry would take off .005 in a couple of turns!

David

P.S. Give us all a clue what your making then . . . pretty please :)

I guess this is part of the research really, certain woods (ironwood/blackwood immediately come to mind) can be turned to this accuracy but by very experienced craftsmen and I would have hoped that such an expert could be found in these parts.

The wood I have in mind is a local rosewood (dalbergia cochinchinensis) which I believe is suitable for this work.

Sorry to have piqued your interest and not given the whole story; I can't share right now but I do promise to make a thread about the finished items once they have been made - it won't be a sales pitch but should be interesting and a little different.

JxP

I don't know anything about woodworking but I've never had to drive around for more than 15 minutes to find a standard metal turning lathe in Chiangmai. There are probably more CNC lathes around Lamphun but nobody is going to program them unless you have several hundred pieces to do.

The machine shop with one of the best reputations in Chiangmai is Yontakij in Sri Donchai road but they are usually very busy and may not want to fool around with wood. They may be able to recommend somebody though.

Yes, metal turning can easily be found but so far none have been interested in a precision wood turning project.

I will keep trying and will certainly visit Yontakij, thank you for that recommendation.

JxP

I think.

Yes it is but what BB meant to say was 5 thou (1/100th of an inch being 10 thou), which is the correct terminology in turning speak. However, you would be better off asking for the metric equivalent over here... something like plus or minus 0.13mm.

You're absolutely right, I need to metricate my drawings, good point.

Technocracy's wooden guitar thread is great, I've been following it and did have a note to get in touch with him - thanks for the reminder, that's a very good idea.

JxP

I think.

Technocracy's wooden guitar thread is great, I've been following it and did have a note to get in touch with him - thanks for the reminder, that's a very good idea.

JxP

No worries.

Just to correct a correction, and after I use the correct terminology for thou and then quote in millimetres, doh. Should be ± 5 thou/125 microns. :)

I think.

JxP

No worries.

Just to correct a correction, and after I use the correct terminology for thou and then quote in millimetres, doh. Should be ± 5 thou/125 microns. :)

Let's get accurate now Jack, how about 1,250,000 angstroms!