Best Indian Restaurant In Bangkok?

RoadRash

Where do you think you can get the best Indian food at the right price.

My fave at the moment is a place called the Rainbow near Khao Sarn.

Takes me about an hour to get there, but it's just to good and real cheap, another great thing is they'll make things that aren't on the menu, just ask. :o

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know one...the best best best indian in bkk :D

but am keeping it a secret :o

Very mature...

Meanwhile, one of the Himali Cha-Cha outlets (most recent being Sukhumvit, between soi 3/1 and soi 5).

I like it because it is one of the least oily North Indian restaurants I have found, using little or no ghee.

For South Indian, Dosa King, formerly on Sukhumvit soi 19, but relocated to the old Hair Design digs on Soi 11/1, or Malaysian Aunty, who was a victim of the Great Soi 10 Bulldozing and Liquor Grab. She now has a tiny place off Surawong, almost to the river. I can't think of the name of the road, but it runs parallel to Surawong, and just north of it. She has dosa, and many South Indian dishes, EXTREMELY reasonable pricing.

Yeah, keep the good one secret, so it will dry up and disappear. Good MiG16...good.

Sateev

This is NOT to be kept secret! In the Sukhumvit Nana area, there are about 15 Indian restaurants (most generic & some pretty bad!). Have tried most of them. Strongly and highly recommend a new slightly off the beaten track place, with a unique menu and very reasonable prices, on Soi 13 in the Sukhumvit Suites building further down the road from the back of Ambassador Hotel, with plenty of easy parking, on the 2nd floor, called 'Mumbai's Great Punjab'. Really incredible variations by a Master Chef from Mumbai, also will make any suggestions, lots of unusual vegetarian creations and variations. They also deliver, 02 651-0988. If agreed, second this recommendation here!

Keep on Reveling, Ravishing, Cherishing, Savoring, Sharing and Celebrating all the treats and abundant blessings that abound!!!

michael

I ate at the Spicy Maharja Restaurant on the 7th floor of Central World (BTS Chit Lom) yesterday. Indian Menu; I ordered the Spicy Cannonball-Kofta Curry and some garlic naan bread. It was delicious. While the giant shopping center location didn't lend itself to being a place with much of an atmosphere, it was pleasantly cool and very clean and convenient. The bowl of curry was 170 baht and the naan was 90, I also had a canned soft drink for 35 baht for a total of 295 baht which I though was reasonable. The service was prompt and polite.

It's difficult to fairly review any restaurant after only one visit and having ordered only one entree, but my initial impression of the place was really good. I'll be back to try some other items on the menu next time I'm feeling like Indian food.

• 3 weeks later...

Akhbar,don't know the number of the soi,(possibly 3),but its directly opposite/other side of sukhumvit to the nana plaza,there's two indian restaraunts next to each other,but i always eat at akhbar.

PST.

• 2 weeks later...
If you like UK style Indian Bollywood on Sukhumvit Soi 4 is good best i have had here in 22 years in Thailand

Can you explain what you mean by UK style? Different dishes? Different spice levels? I have been to the UK and had bad examples of UK style curries in Thailand, I have had good curries in London including baltis, but I still don't really understand what people mean when they say UK style Indian.

I know one...the best best best indian in bkk :D

but am keeping it a secret :o

good on ya mate...keeping your favourite place a secret will definately help keep it alive and afloat....FOOL!!

Ive all but given up on Indian over here,even australias version of Indian is better..

Im tempted to try some that you have all mentioned,you sound very enthusiastic, but can someone advise of a place that dishes with a decent meat content.

Every dish ive had at every place has been underspiced, overpriced and usually contains half a cup of sauce with three lonely bits of bubblegum meat floating in it.

I dont expect to see beef on the menu and i dont expect a mountain of mutton in a dish,but even with chicken dishes, which is relatively cheap to buy in Thailand, will be around 180 bht a dish and the chicken is used very sparingly and sparsely

Indian food in Thailand....MEAN!!!!!!!!!

geee

tough crowd in here :o

try the sunday brunch buffet at Rang Mahal in Rembrandt hotel (sukhumvit soi 18)

a bit pricey compared to smaller shops, but well worth it.

they also have classical indian music playing.........

there do i get bonus points now? :D

geee

tough crowd in here :o

try the sunday brunch buffet at Rang Mahal in Rembrandt hotel (sukhumvit soi 18)

a bit pricey compared to smaller shops, but well worth it.

they also have classical indian music playing.........

there do i get bonus points now? :D

I agree. They have the best Indian food I have had in Thailand. I also like the Sunday brunch food at the Indian restaurant at the Holiday Inn, Silom. Both well worth the money if you come hungry.

Edited by Jingthing

Planet Bollywood Sathorn soi 1 and Rang Mahal @ Rembrant hotel.

Don't be intimidated by Rang Mahal being in a fancy hotel. This place has earned its well-deserved reputation for no other reason that its excellence. Live Indian music every day until 11 pm except Mondays, absolutely great service and very attentive waiters.

The food is no doubt THE best in Bangkok (in my opinion). Everything from starters to desserts, if you like your food a little more bland or a little more spicy, requesting so wouldn't be a problem.

Lunch buffet every Sunday, not worth missing :o

As for Planet Bollywood, awesome food also, as well as the cocktails. No live music, but certainly an ideal place for a more casual dining.

Indian food is the kind of cuisine that uses a lot of spices and authentic ingredients to enhance the richness, you can't possibly expect to pay the amount you would for Thai food or something likewise. So are these places providing good food for reasonable prices? In my opinion, absolutely.

Give them both a try, I doubt you will find anything to be disappointed about :D

Indian food is the kind of cuisine that uses a lot of spices and authentic ingredients to enhance the richness

Interesting. In the US, Indian food at the same level of restaurant is almost always CHEAPER than Thai food.

Another interesting factoid: I was told by an Indian restaurant owner in Pattaya that the Indian ingredients they must buy are 50 percent more expensive in Pattaya than in Bangkok. That may explain why decent Indian food at a good price is so hard to find in Pattaya. But it doesn't explain the problem so well in Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing

word of caution

many have (perhaps not on this thread) raved about Indian Hut near surawong.

it is one place i would NOT try. never been there, and wouldnt want to just based on its ambience.

however, someone who knows her indian food very well did try it about 3 years ago. and found it to be very disappointing.

I ate at the Spicy Maharja Restaurant on the 7th floor of Central World (BTS Chit Lom) yesterday. Indian Menu; I ordered the Spicy Cannonball-Kofta Curry and some garlic naan bread. It was delicious. While the giant shopping center location didn't lend itself to being a place with much of an atmosphere, it was pleasantly cool and very clean and convenient. The bowl of curry was 170 baht and the naan was 90, I also had a canned soft drink for 35 baht for a total of 295 baht which I though was reasonable. The service was prompt and polite.

It's difficult to fairly review any restaurant after only one visit and having ordered only one entree, but my initial impression of the place was really good. I'll be back to try some other items on the menu next time I'm feeling like Indian food.

I avoid this place at all costs... One day I was going to eat there, and stopped in the mall bathroom first, when I saw a guy in a chef uniform leaving a stall (not the urinal) and left without washing his hands... He then walked straight to that restaurant... I have seen a lot of people not washing there hands in the bathrooms, but considering that he was a chef and what he was doing in the bathroom I will never eat there...

Where do you think you can get the best Indian food at the right price.

My fave at the moment is a place called the Rainbow near Khao Sarn.

Takes me about an hour to get there, but it's just to good and real cheap, another great thing is they'll make things that aren't on the menu, just ask. :o

I went a couple of days ago on this recommendation, and the poster is absolutely right. The food was fantastic, and the staff were exceptionally courteous. I could have eaten the nan on its own, it was so tasty. And it was c-h-e-a-p :D

best south indian food a short flight on Airasia to Penang Island in Malaysia :o Top notch ! .

BTW, i saw in another thread that this Aunty Malaysia thing is closed down? Can anyone confirm this?? I live in Chiang Mai but would love to check out the food at this place when I come down to Bkk. Is it Malaysian Indian style cooking??

• 1 month later...
Can you explain what you mean by UK style? Different dishes? Different spice levels? I have been to the UK and had bad examples of UK style curries in Thailand, I have had good curries in London including baltis, but I still don't really understand what people mean when they say UK style Indian.

In my experience, when people refer to 'UK style' curries, they generally mean Bangladeshi style cooking. Very rich, very spicy (depends on the dish, yes), quite 'heavy,' usually pretty oily. It's not for everyone, but I love it, as, I believe, do most Brits.

Namuskar soi 8

I second this recommendation, certainly it's the best in that area (and there's plenty of competition).

For KSR area Bombay Blues soi Rambuttri hidden on the soi on the way to DDM

This place has probably the worst Indian food I've had in Bangkok.

Somewhere I quite often frequent which is surprisingly OK is the Indian food counter in the MBK Food Centre. OK, it's not as good as a proper sit down Indian restaurant such as Namuskar, but it's cheap and considering it's in a Thai shopping mall food court, is actually not bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I realise this is subjective and that everyone will have their own opinion so please,no squabbling! :)

I've found that around the Nana skytrain there seems to be a lot of good ones,I think it's called the Himali Cha Cha or something like that but I was in there last week and the food was excellent.

I'm originally from Birmingham so I do know a thing or two about curries! :D

Now I realise this is subjective and that everyone will have their own opinion so please,no squabbling! :)

I've found that around the Nana skytrain there seems to be a lot of good ones,I think it's called the Himali Cha Cha or something like that but I was in there last week and the food was excellent.

I'm originally from Birmingham so I do know a thing or two about curries! :D

For Good Indian Vegetarian Food...

Sri Ganesh Restaurant in Sukhumvit Soi 20/1 (Cheap, good, clean food)... THB150 for a Full Set Meal

Chennai Kitchen, Thanon Pan, Silom (Near Wat Khek Temple)... THB150 for a Full Set Meal... (Cheap, good, clean food)... but, the owner's attitude is very bad.

I'm originally from Birmingham so I do know a thing or two about curries!

It's quite possible that you can't stand Indian food unless it's prepared by British Indian chefs for Birmingham tastes. We had this situation in Pattaya forum a couple of years ago - people were demanding to import chefs from England to cook Indian food here.

India is a countlry of nearly a billion people and most of them have never tried Birmingham curries and still call their cuisine "Indian" (imagine that!).

>>>

Local restaurants are very predictable, it's always Northern, "mughal" food with menus apparently copied from one shop to another. There are South Indian places but there's little difference between them. too.

I like coftas at Himali Cha cha, and I like Indian Hut at the end of Suriwong for offering something different, but most of the time settle on generic Indian shops around Sukhumwit. It's not bad and I don't eat it too often to get bored.

There are a couple of really simple places in the sois off Silom near Wat Kaek, they are like Thai street food - noting fancy but irresistible. One offers 60baht set lunch, I think.