Best Indian Restaurant In Bangkok?

RoadRash

Chicken Biryani was decent - I find most Biryani's boring anyways, but this was good.

Then get thee to Curry Pot for the lobster biryani! Ooh mama! Then again, you'll never shell out for it... get Bkkjames to take you. Or Sabaijai - he big man, many money.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for merging. And now I must criticize your taste!

I went to Royal about a year ago, and found it very mediocre. Can't remember what we had, but I do remember it being rather unpleasant. I do remember not saying anything at the time as my girlfriend was enjoying it, but after eating the leftovers the next day, she said (unprompted by me) that it wasn't very good at all.

Seriously 'though, any restaurant can have up and down days, so just kidding about your sense of taste!

===

Update on our Indian adventures this week. When we come to Bkk, we try to eat exclusively Indian, as we get lots of great Thai where we live (Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sri Thamarat). Also, my girlfriend is really interested in going to India (how's that for a great Thai girlfriend!).

---

Went back to Al Hussain last night with two friends, and it was a great experience again. Firstly i have to correct my previous post - the Seekh Kebabs were beef, not lamb. So yesterday we had Lamb Tikka, which my GF did like, so she is still in my good books!

The lamb was chewy and tough, but not way too much, and the flavour was great. We had Keema Paratha (minced beef in fried bread - crappy description, I know), and it was so good we ordered another.

Chicken Masala was excellent - a little oily and a little salty, but not over the top like so many other places.

Chicken Biryani was decent - I find most Biryani's boring anyways, but this was good.

Sag (green leaf - spinach) was still a vegetable and not creamed and had a light delicate taste.

The Shrimp Khorma (my GF's fav last night) was light yet creamy. The waiter called it 'sweet' but it certainly was not overly so. Not cloying at all. Lots of shrimp. Great with the Paratha!

Salad was salad - lots of cucs tomatoes and onions.

They forgot the dhal, but that was ok - we were stuffed. Oh yes, the Nan was good.

Funny place - they also have lots of Arabic foods, and they don't have Spiced Tea (ever been on an Indian train? "Chai chai chai chai chai..." echoing through the carriages.

Total, including 4 water - 1230 baht. And they deliver. And they are open 24 hours.

---

Went looking for Auntie Malaysia's today, and finally found it. Looked a little dingy (which doesn't bug me - I have been to India, you know), but it only has South Indian snacks (Dosa, idli, etc etc). The rest of the menu was Northern...

Ended up just a hundred yards away at a new (6 months) Tamil Pure-Veg restaurant.

Had Masala Ghee Dosa - huge, crispy and fantastic Sambar. Also had Dahi Vada - incredibly light and fluffy lentil balls with tamarind, yoghurt and cilantro sauces (chat) - a little sweet for my GF, but I loved it.

Split one Thali - real S. Indian taste - Sambar, Rassam, a vegie dish, dahl (with a light smoky taste), lime pickle, yoghurt, one roti (chapati), one S Indian Papad (made from wheat), and Kessari (a semolina pudding).

I love my girlfriend - the only thing she wouldn't taste a second time was the lime pickle! She loved the Sambar.

Also had Tomato Uttapam - a rice/lentil pancake thicker than a dosa. Fantastic. Crunchy and still creamy.

Yes, we eat too much in Bkk!

The name of this little gem is Saravana Bhavan, and it is on that little street that is parallel to and just north of Suriwong road. Near the Hotel Manohra at the Charoen Krung end of Suriwong.

Also they have 100% Pure Veg Jain food (no onions or garlic) and a selection of N. Indian dishes too.

---

Stopped to look at the India King's menu - to me it is really expensive. Almost 300 baht for a Chicken Kebab - too steep for my tastes. So unless someone can convince me that it is really a 'haute cuisine' Indian restaurant, then I will forgo the super fancy table-clothes, and eat at the more 'pedestrian' restaurants.

For what it is worth, the only really great 'haute cuisine' Indian I have ever had was at Moti Mahal in Rapongi Tokyo. Fresh herbs and spices in everything. A step above anything I have ever had. But I have eaten in plenty of super-expensive yet mediocre Indian places.

you sound like our tastes are similar...i'll have to try Malaysian Aunty's area and the place in Soi 3/1. I've eaten at a few of those places near the Royal in Chakrapret Rd, very authentic and local and cheap, nothing special though with taste. In my opinion, all the places on Sukhumvit and well known northern Indian places in Bangkok are outrageously overpriced and nothing special. I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the area near the Bayoke Tower. Walk from Petchaburi up towards the Bayoke Tower (Pratunam). When on the soi coming to the Tower, turn left about 2-300 meters before the tower, on a busy little road packed with Indians. When you reach the 7-11 (on your left), there are several subsois on your right with small places featuring Indian, Pakistani, and Nepali restaurants, very local. I have eaten in a few there that were pretty good, reasonably priced. There is also an African restaurant there.

My ex was pretty game for Indian food, we traveled together in India and she managed very well. Thanks to all for sharing their recommendations.

Then get thee to Curry Pot for the lobster biryani! Ooh mama! Then again, you'll never shell out for it... get Bkkjames to take you. Or Sabaijai - he big man, many money.

OK - I'll bite!

Where? And, how much?

Thanks for merging. And now I must criticize your taste!

I went to Royal about a year ago, and found it very mediocre. Can't remember what we had, but I do remember it being rather unpleasant. I do remember not saying anything at the time as my girlfriend was enjoying it, but after eating the leftovers the next day, she said (unprompted by me) that it wasn't very good at all.

Seriously 'though, any restaurant can have up and down days, so just kidding about your sense of taste!

===

Update on our Indian adventures this week. When we come to Bkk, we try to eat exclusively Indian, as we get lots of great Thai where we live (Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sri Thamarat). Also, my girlfriend is really interested in going to India (how's that for a great Thai girlfriend!).

---

Went back to Al Hussain last night with two friends, and it was a great experience again. Firstly i have to correct my previous post - the Seekh Kebabs were beef, not lamb. So yesterday we had Lamb Tikka, which my GF did like, so she is still in my good books!

The lamb was chewy and tough, but not way too much, and the flavour was great. We had Keema Paratha (minced beef in fried bread - crappy description, I know), and it was so good we ordered another.

Chicken Masala was excellent - a little oily and a little salty, but not over the top like so many other places.

Sag (green leaf - spinach) was still a vegetable and not creamed and had a light delicate taste.

The Shrimp Khorma (my GF's fav last night) was light yet creamy. The waiter called it 'sweet' but it certainly was not overly so. Not cloying at all. Lots of shrimp. Great with the Paratha!

Salad was salad - lots of cucs tomatoes and onions.

They forgot the dhal, but that was ok - we were stuffed. Oh yes, the Nan was good.

Funny place - they also have lots of Arabic foods, and they don't have Spiced Tea (ever been on an Indian train? "Chai chai chai chai chai..." echoing through the carriages.

Total, including 4 water - 1230 baht. And they deliver. And they are open 24 hours.

---

Went looking for Auntie Malaysia's today, and finally found it. Looked a little dingy (which doesn't bug me - I have been to India, you know), but it only has South Indian snacks (Dosa, idli, etc etc). The rest of the menu was Northern...

Ended up just a hundred yards away at a new (6 months) Tamil Pure-Veg restaurant.

Had Masala Ghee Dosa - huge, crispy and fantastic Sambar. Also had Dahi Vada - incredibly light and fluffy lentil balls with tamarind, yoghurt and cilantro sauces (chat) - a little sweet for my GF, but I loved it.

Split one Thali - real S. Indian taste - Sambar, Rassam, a vegie dish, dahl (with a light smoky taste), lime pickle, yoghurt, one roti (chapati), one S Indian Papad (made from wheat), and Kessari (a semolina pudding).

I love my girlfriend - the only thing she wouldn't taste a second time was the lime pickle! She loved the Sambar.

Also had Tomato Uttapam - a rice/lentil pancake thicker than a dosa. Fantastic. Crunchy and still creamy.

Yes, we eat too much in Bkk!

The name of this little gem is Saravana Bhavan, and it is on that little street that is parallel to and just north of Suriwong road. Near the Hotel Manohra at the Charoen Krung end of Suriwong.

Also they have 100% Pure Veg Jain food (no onions or garlic) and a selection of N. Indian dishes too.

---

Stopped to look at the India King's menu - to me it is really expensive. Almost 300 baht for a Chicken Kebab - too steep for my tastes. So unless someone can convince me that it is really a 'haute cuisine' Indian restaurant, then I will forgo the super fancy table-clothes, and eat at the more 'pedestrian' restaurants.

For what it is worth, the only really great 'haute cuisine' Indian I have ever had was at Moti Mahal in Rapongi Tokyo. Fresh herbs and spices in everything. A step above anything I have ever had. But I have eaten in plenty of super-expensive yet mediocre Indian places.

Personally I don't consider Al Hossain 'Indian' food except in the most remote sense, ie, the Persian origins of Moghul cuisine, which informs northern Indian cooking but not most of the rest of India. I find Al Hossain extremely bland. To me everything tastes the same there. Royal India, for my palate, is good middle-class Indian cooking (albeit northern Indian cooking). Look who is eating at Al Hossain, by the way - very few Indians. Mostly Arabs, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. Not knocking the food, it's to their taste, not Indians', in my observation. Your mileage may vary :) For north Indian, Rang Mahal is probably the best in the city, but it's not my style.

Most southern Indian residents I know in Bangkok recommend Dosa King or Sri Ganesha (Sukhumvit Soi 20/1, very good spot, almost all-Indian clientele, as at Dosa King). I prefer Dosa King to both Royal India and Al Hossain, for what it's worth. YMMV. Dosas, idlis, vadas, etc - they are S Indian staples, whether 'snacks' or not. It's a bit like Mexican food in the USA. By far most Mexican dishes served in Mexican restos in the USA are antojitos, ie appetisers/snacks, but it's still Mexican food, of a kind. For S Indian, that's what you get in Bkk. If you can find a S Indian food that goes beyond that, let us know. Enlighten us about S Indian food while you're at it :D I have several S Indian cookbooks I bought in southern India, and the dishes match up pretty well with what's served at Dosa King, Madras Lodge and Sri Ganesha.

Our credentials are similar, but different tastes. Hey that makes it all interesting. Eat where you enjoy the cooking, to each his own, etc :D

Saravana Bhavan

Personally I don't consider Al Hossain 'Indian' food except in the most remote sense, ie, the Persian origins of Moghul cuisine, which informs northern Indian cooking but not most of the rest of India. I find Al Hossain extremely bland. To me everything tastes the same there. Royal India, for my palate, is good middle-class Indian cooking (albeit northern Indian cooking).

Dosas, idlis, vadas, etc - they are S Indian staples, whether 'snacks' or not.

For S Indian, that's what you get in Bkk. If you can find a S Indian food that goes beyond that, let us know.

Our credentials are similar, but different tastes. Hey that makes it all interesting. Eat where you enjoy the cooking, to each his own, etc :)

It's not interesting - it is just time to duke it out!

Rather than that, I'd be happy to try Royal again - sometimes restaurants have an off day (or the chef has a day off). I'll be back from Canada in 3 months, and would love to try a few places with you - goes for anybody - not just my sparring partner ;<}

I'd even try an expensive place!

And as for the South Indian - yes, I love the snacks - don't get me wrong. But I also love the southern curries as well, and the place I mentioned had a very South Indian taste to its thali.

Gotta catch a plane back to the Winnipeg - a city with only one decent Indian restaurant. At least we have one. But we sure do have great Chinese food...

Cheers, Mark

I miss Komalas, a place on Sukhumvit Soi 20 where the long menu was predominantly south Indian, including a choice of different southern thalis. It had a strange layout, mimicking a plastic fastfood joint, didn't quite work. But food was decent and inexpensive.

Sri Ganesha on Soi 20/1 has plenty of S Indian dishes though, including thalis. I thought I recalled having S Indian thali at Dosa King as well, but I mostly order the dosa and chaat there.

There's a place on a soi between Surawong and Silom - Mahesak? - that is Sri Lankan, reminiscent of S Indian styles.

India Hut does Lucknow cuisine. It used to be very good but I haven't been there in at least three years, so don't know how it is now.

slightly off topic but...wjmark i was in toronto last year and we stumbled across this place called moti mahal on gerrard street, and their non veg thali was one of the best i've had. you should check it out.

Absolutely no relation to the Moti Mahal in Tokyo - which is in a class by itself.

But Moti Mahal in Toronto is my favourite Indian restaurant in Canada. I spent 4 years in Toronto, and often went down to the Gerrard St. Bazaar area. Some decent (not great) S Indian there too.

Did you know that greater Toronto has over 1/2 million Indians living there. I have heard that sometimes people travel from India to Toronto to buy their saris. (But that is just a rumour).

Ya - Toronto for great cheap food. Except Thai - have yet to find any really decent Thai food anywhere in Canada - good thing it is easy enough to cook!

Still curious about Gujarati foods in Bkk. Anyone know?

See ya'll in 3 months. I'm in transit in Vancouver now, and if I had enough time I would shoot down to Samurai Sushi - big slabs of good quality fish for a buck (Canadian - 30 baht) each. BIG slabs. Not enough time...

sigh.

One thing we both didn't mention about Moti Mahal in Toronto is its incredible decor.

This place really is the MacDonalds of Indian food; plastic booths with seats fixed to the floor, a self-serve counter, and paper plates!

Cheap like borscht too. 2 1/2 to 4 bucks a dish.

Need one in Bangkok. And Chiang Mai.

post-55564-1244735440_thumb.jpg

Edited by wjmark

One thing we both didn't mention about Moti Mahal in Toronto is its incredible decor.

This place really is the MacDonalds of Indian food; plastic booths with seats fixed to the floor, a self-serve counter, and paper plates!

absolute true. this place is the bomb, we were only in town for 4 days and just discovered it by luck and we were so happy too as well.

about thai food, i forgot the name of the hotel we stayed in toronto, it was a fairly nice cosy place so the name wasn't a big franchise or anything, but we were parallel to yonge st, and i remember we went to this thai place that was on the opposite side of 'zanzibar' on yonge st and the food was pretty good actually.

the food wasn't your 100% authentic thai food, but it was pretty close and they had dressed it up really nicely. the staff were thai and very nice, and they had a good set of drinks too.

• 5 months later...
geee

tough crowd in here :)

try the sunday brunch buffet at Rang Mahal in Rembrandt hotel (sukhumvit soi 18)

a bit pricey compared to smaller shops, but well worth it.

they also have classical indian music playing.........

there do i get bonus points now? :D

I WAS trying to keep Royal India on Chakkraphet road a secret, but obviously that didnt happen :D

they opened branches in Khaosarn, and I think also at Paragon now. tried the one in KhaoSarn. no where near as good as the original branch. Sabaijai mentioned going there 30 years ago...I cant claim to go back as far :D but been there since I was perhaps 4 or 5 years old....and its still as good today (changed the decor, tried to do the wine thing to be more hip at some point, but now they are back to basic again) the sweets arent too bad either, but you can find better sweets in one of the shops on the main road. their food, in particular, keema muttar (minced lamb with peas) is absolutely yummy!

the reason I like Royal India (as opposed to places like Indus - which granted has good food) is that at Royal its more 'homely' cooking. what one would get when you go to a punjabi family meal at someone's house. while the Indus and others in Sukhumvit area are rich with ghee (indian butter) and while it tastes great, tends to make you feel bloated by end of the evening!

The restaurant at the Rembrandt hotel is meant to the best by a long shot according to most of the expats I've asked. It's one of the most expensive too, but well worth it apparently.

Agreed... and especially for their Sunday brunch buffet!

Nice place as well to socialize with the Bunnag, Nana & co families and heirs :)

I was going to quote one of Mig's earlier posts where she talked about ambiance, but yours works too! I find the best Indian restaurants are the ones with the worst decor! If you want really good Indian in Toronto, and you're brave enough to venture into the junction (south-western part of metro T.O. where all the railways meet), you may find some of the best Indian in Toronto. (mind you that was almost 15 years ago when I used to live in Toronto, it may have changed)

The best Indian food I've ever tasted (that goes for food in India as well), came from this little hole in the wall in the junction that was run by this little Indian family. Father took the orders, and dealt with the till, mother served the food, (and bless her heart, she would always try to make conversation with me in her broken English, the rest of the family spoke no English as far as I could tell), and grandfather cooked. He must have been in his 90's, he was a tiny, long-bearded old man, but he made the best curries I've ever had. Now if only I could find a place like that in Bangkok!

Does anyone know where the best paneer is (a nice shahi or saag)? I've been craving Bhajias (sp?) too!

Edited by Meridian007

The restaurant at the Rembrandt hotel is meant to the best by a long shot according to most of the expats I've asked. It's one of the most expensive too, but well worth it apparently.

Nice place as well to socialize with the Bunnag, Nana & co families and heirs :)

Best Indian food I have had in Thailand. What do they charge these days for the buffet?

Best Indian food I have had in Thailand. What do they charge these days for the buffet?

Rang Mahal is the name of the outlet...

Last time I've been there (8 months or so) that was around THB 800 for Sunday Brunch buffet/person

Rang Mahal is the name of the outlet...

Last time I've been there (8 months or so) that was around THB 800 for Sunday Brunch buffet/person

800 baht and still with free wine as of 3 months ago also serving pasta/pizza slices salad bar and desserts. Good value.

Following extensive research and testing, I've finally concluded Mrs Balbir's is the clear winner. Can't remember where it is because I always get the stuff delivered. Be sure to order from ChefsXP (sorry Food by Phone, but your prices suck).

Following extensive research and testing, I've finally concluded Mrs Balbir's is the clear winner. Can't remember where it is because I always get the stuff delivered. Be sure to order from ChefsXP (sorry Food by Phone, but your prices suck).

They are located on a small sub soi off Sukhumvit Soi 11.

They are located on a small sub soi off Sukhumvit Soi 11.

Map from their website http://www.mrsbalbir.com/

map.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ref emporium india food court. No where near as good as the indian (face outlet) before the renovation.

Overall I feel they have made a huge mistake with the new style of food court. Last one was much better so much easier to order from different outlets and pay on exit.

Another brainless idea by the emporium.

Edited by namoo

ref emporium india food court. No where near as good as the indian (face outlet) before the renovation.

Overall I feel they have made a huge mistake with the new style of food court. Last one was much better so much easier to order from different outlets and pay on exit.

Another brainless idea by the emporium.

Are talking about the same place, on Chakkaphet Rd in Little India?

• 3 weeks later...
what about Auntie Malaysia??? Open or closed and where is it?

I didn't try Auntie Malaysia - but ended up at a great Tamil place just down the road from it called Saravana Bhavan, and it is on that little street that is parallel to and just north of Suriwong road. Near the Hotel Manohra at the Charoen Krung end of Suriwong.

So if you find the Tamil place just keep going about 100 yards, and you will find Auntie M's - don't know if it is still open...

Try Saravana Bhavan!

Me personally and my curry eating mates here in BKK quite enjoy Mrs Balbirs in soi 11/1.

Ditto on Mrs Balbirs. I've tried many others but her food comes out on top and is the most consistent.

Also, I can order via chefx, saving the fight through BKK traffic (I live north).

what about Auntie Malaysia??? Open or closed and where is it?

I didn't try Auntie Malaysia - but ended up at a great Tamil place just down the road from it called Saravana Bhavan, and it is on that little street that is parallel to and just north of Suriwong road. Near the Hotel Manohra at the Charoen Krung end of Suriwong.

So if you find the Tamil place just keep going about 100 yards, and you will find Auntie M's - don't know if it is still open...

Try Saravana Bhavan!

will do. a south indian fare is always welcomed :) would be lovely if they did it Malaysian south indian style. and for those of you who think eating off a banana leaf is like dining in the jungle, try it. the food tastes a lot better.

Me personally and my curry eating mates here in BKK quite enjoy Mrs Balbirs in soi 11/1.

Ditto on Mrs Balbirs. I've tried many others but her food comes out on top and is the most consistent.

Also, I can order via chefx, saving the fight through BKK traffic (I live north).

she is he one that supplies indian food to Thai airways if not mistaken. have only heard good reviews on her place.