Best Indian Restaurant In Bangkok?

RoadRash

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I lived in India, ages ago, the restaurants were generally crap, real crap, but they were very big on catering.

People didn't book best hotels for weddings or went to best restaurants for birthdays, they just tried to get the best catering company possible.

I've been to quite a few functions and never had the same curry twice, or gulabjamuns out of a tin can.

When I went to Indian restaurants in Bangkok I was surprised by both food and service, but disappointed that they all had the same menu, but I already mentioned that here.

Now I'd like to hear any particular restaurant specialty. I mentioned koftas, spinach sauce, at Himali Cha Cha, for example. Dosa King makes South Indian food, not many Sukhumwit restaurants do. Sri Ganesh used to be Indian fast food joint, I don't think the concept has changed, just menu got shorter.

Rang Mahal is a well known name, don't remember any special food there. Very forgettable in my opinion.

There's a "hip" place in soi26, same food but free wifi and cocktail bar, outdoor sitting area, and I think they do dancing late at night.

Most of the places recommended here have only "good" or "best" labels. They are probably ok, but if it's your average townhouse shop with "navaratna curry", I'd probably pass. They are dime a dozen on Sukhumwit.

Like many others, Namsukar in alley off soi 8 is probably my favourite, although if I'm dining to impress then I'm far more likely to head to Hazara at the Face Bar venue on Sukhumvit 38.

I've got to agree with 'tigerbeer' previous post though, for a real Indian fix, Penang cannot be beaten.

post-61198-1243624218_thumb.jpg

:)

Edited by thecatman

i would say the best indian food i've had that was worth it is at indian hut, someone mentioned it earlier here i don't know the address but i'm sure you can look it up.

rang mahal is excellent, but i feel the quantity is too less for the price, therefore a little too expensive and less worth it than indian hut.

Indian Hut is at the end of Suriwong road, parallel to Silom.

Not exactly at the end, but when it comes to the intersection with Charoen Krung. If for some reason you are not full, there's another branch of Himali Cha Cha just around the corner on Charoen Krung. The original branch, I believe.

I like Indus for free wi fi and outdoor settings. It's kind of modern place with Indian food. Not cheap.

Now I realise this is subjective and that everyone will have their own opinion so please,no squabbling! :)

I've found that around the Nana skytrain there seems to be a lot of good ones,I think it's called the Himali Cha Cha or something like that but I was in there last week and the food was excellent.

I'm originally from Birmingham so I do know a thing or two about curries! :D

I know what you're looking for mate, had the same problem for years, used to live on rubies back home (UK),

But here you got to look and it costs you loads trying to find one that comes anywhere near a ruby (as we know it) believe me I've eaten some crap here looking. Used to eat at Himali Cha Cha but it went down hill when I became a regular and my son went there a year ago and vowed never to go back. You can basically go anywhere in the UK and get a descent one. London and the north of England are the best

Me personally and my curry eating mates here in BKK quite enjoy Mrs Balbirs in soi 11/1, she has just opened a very nice larger restaurant still in 11/1. since opening a couple of months ago I can honestly say the food has gotten allot better and with nice help full staff who will do their best if you want a dish cooked your way.Not the cheapest around but as always you get what you pay for

I cannot comment on all the food as I tend to stick to what I know and like..but what I can say is

they only uses nice chicken with no bits attached, no what I mean,

unlike most restaurants they tend to throw it all in, (Thai way)

The chicken vindaloo is spot on and only a little aloo, just ask for it not too bitter

The chicken tika Marsala excellent, my daughter loves it

Chicken Tika pieces, very nice

The nann breads OK, I miss the UK ones big time, you never get the same aroma and fluffiness here

Saffron rice is very nice

Gobi Marsala, love it

Rogan josh and jallfreezi is coming along

I know Mrs Balbir and have been giving her my input for sometime now, she welcomes it and makes the changes, she wants to continually improve the quality by listening to her customers, she knows us Brits know a bit about Rubies so if you don't get what you want tell her or her staff, that way all us curry loving expats will have at least one descent Indian to go to.

Starvin now, gota go tonight after writing that

Now I realise this is subjective and that everyone will have their own opinion so please,no squabbling! :)

I've found that around the Nana skytrain there seems to be a lot of good ones,I think it's called the Himali Cha Cha or something like that but I was in there last week and the food was excellent.

I know what you're looking for mate, had the same problem for years, used to live on rubies back home (UK),

But here you got to look and it costs you loads trying to find one that comes anywhere near a ruby (as we know it) believe me I've eaten some crap here looking. Used to eat at Himali Cha Cha but it went down hill when I became a regular and my son went there a year ago and vowed never to go back. You can basically go anywhere in the UK and get a descent one. London and the north of England are the best

Me personally and my curry eating mates here in BKK quite enjoy Mrs Balbirs in soi 11/1, she has just opened a very nice larger restaurant still in 11/1. since opening a couple of months ago I can honestly say the food has gotten allot better and with nice help full staff who will do their best if you want a dish cooked your way.Not the cheapest around but as always you get what you pay for

I cannot comment on all the food as I tend to stick to what I know and like..but what I can say is

The chicken vindaloo is spot on and only a little aloo, just ask for it not too bitter

The nann breads OK, I miss the UK ones big time, you never get the same aroma and fluffiness here

Gobi Marsala, love it

I know Mrs Balbir and have been giving her my input for sometime now, she welcomes it and makes the changes, she wants to continually improve the quality by listening to her customers, she knows us Brits know a bit about Rubies so if you don't get what you want tell her or her staff, that way all us curry loving expats will have at least one descent Indian to go to.

Mrs Balbir is a good choice, she used to be a TV chef on Thai TV I believe. They do a great lamb spinich dish. I guess it should be called a 'sag' but it has a different name on the menu.

The best Indian meal I have had is in Pratunam district Phetchiburi Road soi 17, If I recall. It is attached to a hotel, two great menus, clean resturant. They also do Thai food and seafood. I'll recalll the name of the place once I've posted this.

I would agree with that. Rang Mahal at the Rembrant is excellent. Try the Sunday buffet for around 800bt expensive but worth it IMHO

I think that includes house wine as well, so it's not a bad deal for the drinkers

Dosa King, Soi 11 Sukhumvit.

i am sorry but i have diffrent idea for dosa king,the dosas they make are no way close to orignal dosa,i tried other dishes also it was like shit,

i will never ever go there again

To me the dosas are very close to the many I've eaten in India. To each his own :)

Not exactly at the end, but when it comes to the intersection with Charoen Krung. If for some reason you are not full, there's another branch of Himali Cha Cha just around the corner on Charoen Krung. The original branch, I believe.

I like Indus for free wi fi and outdoor settings. It's kind of modern place with Indian food. Not cheap.

+1 for India Hut. Unlike 99% of the Indian restos in the city they serve Lucknow cuisine, something different from the usual Punjabi cuisine.

+1 for India Hut. Unlike 99% of the Indian restos in the city they have something different from the usual Punjabi cuisine.

i don't know how many of you have been here for a while, but there used to be a restaurant called "maharajas" in soi 8, but it closed down. basically, if you've ever eaten at maharajas, you know that during that time that place had the best indian food in town. me and my family were regulars there and we got to know the manager, he went back to india, came back and took over indian hut, and that's why it's regarded as one of the best. the manager is great, and he'll be happy to customize your food to your tastes.

My turn. Two reviews - Rainbow, and Al Hussain.

My experiences with Indian food in Thailand have generally been pretty crappy.

Have tried over a dozen places - maybe 5 or 6 in Chiang Mai, and 7 or 8 in Bangkok.

Firstly, I want to give some 'credentials' about my food knowledge. I was raised going to France on eating holidays every summer. I have been eating authentic Chinese (including dim sum) since the mid 1960's. Started eating Indian food in Britain in 1972. Have taken cooking courses in Chinese, Indian and Thai foods. I used to teach cooking classes in 'ethnic' cuisines (including S Indian). I have written a small cook-book on world-cuisines. I was also a festival and movie caterer for fifteen years, and my mum is a restaurant critic (I accompany her often). Plus I have spent more than a year in India, eating everything everywhere (usually the cheap dhabas where all the Indians eat).

That is me, and you can take my opinion for whatever you think it is worth!

So,

Went to Rainbow (KSR) last night - disappointing. Service was pleasant, but the server made a mistake. We asked if the Spinach Kofta had the same gravy as the Palak Paneer. He said no - the spinach was in the kofta. Well, we ended up with two virtually identical dishes - one had vegie koftas in it, the other had cheese. I say that the server made the mistake, rather than it being down to a communication breakdown, because he said, in very good English, "the gravies are not the same".

Would not have been much of an issue (I can accept all sorts of minor problems when the food is great), but the spinach was a little bitter and tasted like mud (my girlfriend's words, which I agree with). The koftas were ok - a little too potato-ish, and too much cardamom.

The Seekh Kebabs (chicken) were only ok - rubbery, and also too much cardamom.

Chicken Do Piaza (two types of onion) had very soft and juicy chicken, but the gravy was too sweet and cloying. And not quite enough chicken. But not bad.

Saffron rice (of course not real saffron - no problem!) was good, and the lassi (salt with jeera - cumin) was very good.

Oh yes, we started with Aloo Tikki (potato cakes), and they were the highlight (oddly enough, they came garnished with french fries!). Fluffy inside, a little crunchy outside - nice flavour - good side sauces.

700 baht - Chicken Do Piaza, Aloo Tikki, Spinach Kofta, Palak Paneer, Chicken Seekh Kebabs, one rice, Lassi, Lemon Juice. Barely touched the spinach dishes, and couldn't face finishing the chicken gravy...

---

I disagree with people who accept the high price for Indian foods here (I resent it with Farang food too). Virtually the same ingredients in a similar (kinda grubby) Thai restaurant would be 200-300 baht.

I don't mind paying a premium, but the food had better be special. Really special. For us, last night, Rainbow was not.

---

BUT - We have finally found the Indian restaurant that does it for us. And it is not Indian, but rather Bangladeshi (if that is the word. Perhaps Bengali?). Whatever - it is all Indian subcontinent.

It is called Al Hussain, and it is on Sukhumvit 3/1 - about 100 meters up on the left. Suk 3/1 is right across from the Nana Post Office.

In front is a big table full of prepared foods, and they look great. The man there gave my girlfriend a taste of one of the gravies, and she said that this was the place!

We ordered the Chicken Kharai, Lamb Seekh Kebabs, and Aloo Paratha.

The Chicken Kharai (160 baht) was fantastic - rich, but not too oily. Lots of chicken - lots! Tender, and what an authentic taste. They said it was spicy, but it was not killer hot at all - just a nice little burn.

The Lamb Seekh Kebabs (120 baht) finally showed my girlfriend that she can indeed love lamb. They were meaty, chewy and tender all at the same time. And what a lovely grilled flavour. Really top class (cheaper and bigger than the chicken ones at Rainbow too).

The Aloo Paratha was ok - nothing fancy, but nicely balanced. Also, for 70 baht, it was thick - just stuffed full with potato!

365 baht, including one water, and not the slightest feeling of being ripped off. Fine food, large portions, very pleasant service, and for sure the feeling that we had to return.

For South Indian, Dosa King, formerly on Sukhumvit soi 19, but relocated to the old Hair Design digs on Soi 11/1,

or Malaysian Aunty, who was a victim of the Great Soi 10 Bulldozing and Liquor Grab. She now has a tiny place off Surawong, almost to the river. I can't think of the name of the road, but it runs parallel to Surawong, and just north of it. She has dosa, and many South Indian dishes, EXTREMELY reasonable pricing.

Sateev

Tried a dosa at Dosa King - very nice. But their food is basically North Indian - no South Indian dishes - just the snacks (dosas, idlis, vadas, etc.). It also seemed pretty expensive for vegie food, but that is also my pet peeve!

Can you give better directions to Malaysian Auntie? I would love to have some real South Indian food. Especially Keralan food, You know: aviyal, fish molee, pongal, etc.

Do they have a real South Indian thali?

Also, does anybody know if there is a Gujarati restaurant around - I love peanut curry! And Khadi (yogurt curry). And dhokla. And please don't forget the slab of butter on their thali! Yes, a Gujarati thali is heavier than a South Indian one.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for the replies,I will be checking out a few of these suggestions,the Indian Hut,Mrs Balbirs and Hazara seem the favourites so far. :D

As for the misery guts telling me how different "Indian" curries are to those in Birmingham.I was eating Prawn Puris and Crab Bhajis for breakfast in Mapuca market,Goa over 20 years ago,before you even knew where India was,so don't presume you know everything about everyone! :)

Gobi Marsala, love it

Mrs Balbir is a good choice, she used to be a TV chef on Thai TV I believe. They do a great lamb spinich dish. I guess it should be called a 'sag' but it has a different name on the menu.

The best Indian meal I have had is in Pratunam district Phetchiburi Road soi 17, If I recall. It is attached to a hotel, two great menus, clean resturant. They also do Thai food and seafood. I'll recalll the name of the place once I've posted this.

:D

Nest to the 'First One hotel' which is soi 19.

Akhbar,don't know the number of the soi,(possibly 3),but its directly opposite/other side of sukhumvit to the nana plaza,there's two indian restaraunts next to each other,but i always eat at akhbar.

PST.

Yes, Akhbar is on Sukhumvit Soi 3. Coming down soi 3 from Sukhumvit it is about 50 m on the left. Excellent food.

Another one worth mentioning is Royal India, on Chakkaphet Rd in the Phahurat district. I first are there over 30 years ago, and it's still one of the most reliable places if you don't mind the trek to Phahurat, Bangkok's 'Little India.' There are dozens of other Indian restos in that area, including tea-and-chapati shops along Soi ATM.

Another one worth mentioning is Royal India, on Chakkaphet Rd in the Phahurat district. I first are there over 30 years ago, and it's still one of the most reliable places if you don't mind the trek to Phahurat, Bangkok's 'Little India.' There are dozens of other Indian restos in that area, including tea-and-chapati shops along Soi ATM.

+1 on that. i remember since i was kid going to that place. their tandoori chicken is the best in town.

Thanks for merging. And now I must criticize your taste!

I went to Royal about a year ago, and found it very mediocre. Can't remember what we had, but I do remember it being rather unpleasant. I do remember not saying anything at the time as my girlfriend was enjoying it, but after eating the leftovers the next day, she said (unprompted by me) that it wasn't very good at all.

Seriously 'though, any restaurant can have up and down days, so just kidding about your sense of taste!

===

Update on our Indian adventures this week. When we come to Bkk, we try to eat exclusively Indian, as we get lots of great Thai where we live (Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sri Thamarat). Also, my girlfriend is really interested in going to India (how's that for a great Thai girlfriend!).

---

Went back to Al Hussain last night with two friends, and it was a great experience again. Firstly i have to correct my previous post - the Seekh Kebabs were beef, not lamb. So yesterday we had Lamb Tikka, which my GF did like, so she is still in my good books!

The lamb was chewy and tough, but not way too much, and the flavour was great. We had Keema Paratha (minced beef in fried bread - crappy description, I know), and it was so good we ordered another.

Chicken Masala was excellent - a little oily and a little salty, but not over the top like so many other places.

Chicken Biryani was decent - I find most Biryani's boring anyways, but this was good.

Sag (green leaf - spinach) was still a vegetable and not creamed and had a light delicate taste.

The Shrimp Khorma (my GF's fav last night) was light yet creamy. The waiter called it 'sweet' but it certainly was not overly so. Not cloying at all. Lots of shrimp. Great with the Paratha!

Salad was salad - lots of cucs tomatoes and onions.

They forgot the dhal, but that was ok - we were stuffed. Oh yes, the Nan was good.

Funny place - they also have lots of Arabic foods, and they don't have Spiced Tea (ever been on an Indian train? "Chai chai chai chai chai..." echoing through the carriages.

Total, including 4 water - 1230 baht. And they deliver. And they are open 24 hours.

---

Went looking for Auntie Malaysia's today, and finally found it. Looked a little dingy (which doesn't bug me - I have been to India, you know), but it only has South Indian snacks (Dosa, idli, etc etc). The rest of the menu was Northern...

Ended up just a hundred yards away at a new (6 months) Tamil Pure-Veg restaurant.

Had Masala Ghee Dosa - huge, crispy and fantastic Sambar. Also had Dahi Vada - incredibly light and fluffy lentil balls with tamarind, yoghurt and cilantro sauces (chat) - a little sweet for my GF, but I loved it.

Split one Thali - real S. Indian taste - Sambar, Rassam, a vegie dish, dahl (with a light smoky taste), lime pickle, yoghurt, one roti (chapati), one S Indian Papad (made from wheat), and Kessari (a semolina pudding).

I love my girlfriend - the only thing she wouldn't taste a second time was the lime pickle! She loved the Sambar.

Also had Tomato Uttapam - a rice/lentil pancake thicker than a dosa. Fantastic. Crunchy and still creamy.

Yes, we eat too much in Bkk!

The name of this little gem is Saravana Bhavan, and it is on that little street that is parallel to and just north of Suriwong road. Near the Hotel Manohra at the Charoen Krung end of Suriwong.

Also they have 100% Pure Veg Jain food (no onions or garlic) and a selection of N. Indian dishes too.

---

Stopped to look at the India King's menu - to me it is really expensive. Almost 300 baht for a Chicken Kebab - too steep for my tastes. So unless someone can convince me that it is really a 'haute cuisine' Indian restaurant, then I will forgo the super fancy table-clothes, and eat at the more 'pedestrian' restaurants.

For what it is worth, the only really great 'haute cuisine' Indian I have ever had was at Moti Mahal in Rapongi Tokyo. Fresh herbs and spices in everything. A step above anything I have ever had. But I have eaten in plenty of super-expensive yet mediocre Indian places.