Good Wines

chico

Doc ( and Oz wine fans ) I've just come back from the Wine shop with a couple of mid range Ozzie Shiraz's. Never tried 'em before.

1. Wakefield Clare Valley Shiraz ( S.A) - 2003 Vintage ( a mighty 15 %)

2. Bosworth Shiraz - Mc Laren Vale - 2002 ( A sensible 14.5 % )

I aim to knock 'em both back whilst watching crap video's with wifey.

I'll log back on in a few hours with a review of the wine and the films ( Unless I get lucky  :o)

Anyone had 'em before?  ( wine not wifey... :D  )

Chon the wino........

Where did you pick them up Chon?

Here (LOS) or Oz?

He's in Dodgerland :D Gets on the booze to keep the chill out :D

villa and foodland, have some great selection of wines at bt.500-700 per bottle :D

i just mix and match it fom time to time, why waste good money at inferior products, especially if you dont know nothing about it :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always come in to these late...

Chon and Dr PP - I was initially surprised, but then not.

Penfolds Grange - out of most people's price range - and Henschke's Hill of Grace!! OMG what a drop

LOVE MY WINES

greetings to you both - I'm actually in Oz for a few weeks. Hope you are both well.

:o

I always come in to these late...

Chon and Dr PP - I was initially surprised, but then not.

Penfolds Grange  - out of most people's price range - and Henschke's Hill of Grace!!  OMG  what a drop

LOVE MY WINES

greetings to you both - I'm actually in Oz for a few weeks.  Hope you are both well.

Greetings SVB. I agree. Hill of Grace has to be in the finals of the worlds best. Get plenty of red ned into you while iin Oz, Cheap and plentiful. Good holidays :D

Although not an expensive wine - Taylors Cab Sav is well priced in LOS at about 850 baht per bottle. It is available in Angrit as well Chon.

I'll have a looksee for that , cheers Tornie!

(off topic) Thanks again for that info on Peter A in Phukers! My mate was chuffed and slightly amazed that I could find this out through the TV network! If we ever meet I'll buy you a few jars mate!

A mate of mine in Pattaya swears by Jacobs Creek??

Mind you he is from Yorkshire!!!!

Although not an expensive wine - Taylors Cab Sav is well priced in LOS at about 850 baht per bottle. It is available in Angrit as well Chon.

(off topic) Thanks again for that info on Peter A in Phukers! My mate was chuffed and slightly amazed that I could find this out through the TV network! If we ever meet I'll buy you a few jars mate!

If you can lay your hands on 2001 Jacob's Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon buy what you can. Superb stuff. About $AUD16 each in Oz

This thread has been an eye opener.I had hoped there might be a few people who would show understanding and knowledge about wine, and the challenges presented by its lovers in Thailand.Instead we have had really nothing at all of interest and a great deal of ignorance.To take an example Jacobs Creek is almost always a first choice for those who know nothing about wine because it is inexpensive,reliable with minimum vintage variation,can be drunk on day of purchase, no decanting required and no-one will laugh at you or pour scorn on your choice.There is no crime in being ignorant about wine and the snobbery often associated with the business should be avoided.However there are some simple ground rules that can be absorbed without much difficulty.But it is ridiculous to present any Jacobs Creek variety as a great wine or "a good drop" in the rather vulgar phrase of some posters.

This thread has been an eye opener.I had hoped there might be a few people who would show understanding and knowledge about wine, and the challenges presented by its lovers in Thailand.Instead we have had really nothing at all of interest and a great deal of ignorance.

Hey boris,

Where is your sense of humour? :o

And please excuse the ignorance.... :D

Some "great wines" or "good drops" (by world standard definitions) are simply not available here in Thailand.

We make good with what we can get... so available wines are described favourably by comparison (by local standard definitions).

I happen to be a member of the Royal Cliff Wine Club in Pattaya where we regularly meet and sample wines from all over the world... all presented by either a representative of the winery or their distributor here in Thailand, and quaffed in liveral (sorry I meant liberal) amounts over an an excellent 5 course meal prepared by the hotel. It's always a great evening. :D

So please do not display your own ignorance by making negative remarks about the lack of interesting posts in this thread. If you are so understanding and knowledgable about wine, why not be a bit more positive and post something of value rather than negative criticism? :D

This thread has been an eye opener.I had hoped there might be a few people who would show understanding and knowledge about wine, and the challenges presented by its lovers in Thailand.Instead we have had really nothing at all of interest and a great deal of ignorance.To take an example Jacobs Creek is almost always a first choice for those who know nothing about wine because it is inexpensive,reliable with minimum vintage variation,can be drunk on day of purchase, no decanting required and no-one will laugh at you or pour scorn on your choice.There is no crime in being ignorant about wine and the snobbery often associated with the business should be avoided.However there are some simple ground rules that can be absorbed without much difficulty.But it is ridiculous to present any Jacobs Creek variety as a great wine or "a good drop" in the rather vulgar phrase of some posters.

Your post smacks of being a wine snob, even though you deny it.

I had a customer who is a Wine Master.He was a large wine importer into NZ.I invited him to my work to give our staff a wine tasting and an insight as to what was good and what was bad in wines and what to look for etc.

The first and most important fact that he said, was that if you enjoyed the wine then it was GOOD, regardless of what ANY other person told you. :o

He gave a perfect example of how a $12 NZ bubbly won a competition in Europe.I used to think it was <deleted>. The wine jumped up 200% in value over night.

Edited by chuchok

If you can lay your hands on 2001 Jacob's Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon buy what you can. Superb stuff. About $AUD16 each in Oz

For our consulting knowall Khun Boris. I REITERATE. There's an old adage that suggests saying nothing and being thought a fool beats opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

For our consulting knowall Khun Boris. I REITERATE. There's an old adage that suggests saying nothing and being thought a fool beats opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

A neat though rather familiar piece of repartee, Dr P.Best use it next time for a relevant occasion.

I always enjoy finding a great wine on a beer budget. In Poland, I enjoyed a nice bottle of Tokaji that I purchased for about 30 zloty (about THB300), later I saw the same exact bottle in the US for US$60! Back in the US my favorite liquor store was run by an old Polish man named Harry, who would sometimes get so excited about one of the bottles he had out, he'd open one up right there in the aisles and we'd pass it around. He liked to play a "hide 'n seek" game for those who were in the know--old, unusual bottles hidden among the muscatel--and selling at muscatel prices. Every week we'd go hunting for Harry's hidden treasures, and always on my birthday go to find a bottle with a '59 vintage, my birth year. Got a bottle of '59 Lafitte there for one birthday, found it hidden behind the malt liquor, think I paid something like US$20 for it.

A neat though rather familiar piece of repartee, Dr P.Best use it next time for a relevant occasion.

That was relevant. It is you that is not.

That was relevant. It is you that is not.

Dr P, I'm disappointed in you.Can't you do better than this schoolboy stuff.You don't seem too bad an old codger although you obviously don't know much about wine.I had a little tease at your liking for Jacobs Creek.Get over it.

I stick to my advice on that particular wine. NOT Jacobs Creek generally. It is a shame that some limited knowledge wine snob bags a wine he has never tried.

Yo Doc , I was trawling through the Ozzie wines in Tescos yesterday and noticed a bottle of Henschke ( as of Hill of Grace) the first time I've seen this winemaker in UK.

Anyway it was £15 , Henry's Seven , a Shiz/Grenache/Viognier combo 14.5 %

Bloody nice too , I'm going back today to buy the rest of them. Got me wondering what the Hill of Grace would taste like..... :o

Yo Doc , I was trawling through the Ozzie wines in Tescos yesterday and noticed a bottle of  Henschke ( as of Hill of Grace) the first time I've seen this winemaker in UK.

Bloody nice too , I'm going back today to buy the rest of them. Got me wondering what the Hill of Grace would taste like..... :D

The 1999 Henschke costs around $AUD400 a go in Oz :o

Yo Doc , I was trawling through the Ozzie wines in Tescos yesterday and noticed a bottle of  Henschke ( as of Hill of Grace) the first time I've seen this winemaker in UK.

Bloody nice too , I'm going back today to buy the rest of them. Got me wondering what the Hill of Grace would taste like..... :D

Ouch! Wonder how much here?

Guess what I found at Foodland Pattaya last night?

Xanadu Merlot for 425 baht/bottle.

Not a great Aussi wine by any means, but a good blend none the less, and at that price, pretty reasonable.

Ouch! Wonder how much here?

Ask...just for fun :D