Good Wines

chico

I guess, most like to drink good wines at times.

I wonder, what the most expensif wine was, you ever drank?

the most expensif bottle, I ever found, was in a restaurant in Miami Beach.

On a business lunch, one guy said, that we had to look at the wine list :

a book, over 6.000 different wines, and as the waiter explained, except the very old ones, several cases of each!!

top of the list ( we did not drink it!!!) : :D

Chateau Lafitte Rothschild, 1822! price : US $ 35.000 per bottle!! :o

and they showed us in the private part of the cellar, that they still had 5 bottles!

my most expensif was a 24 yr old Aloxe Corton (red burgundy) for 320 euro to celebrate my last working day!! :D:D:D

What about you??

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a book, over 6.000 different wines, and as the waiter explained, except the very old ones, several cases of each!!

and they showed us in the private part of the cellar, that they still had 5 bottles!

my most expensif was a 24 yr old Aloxe Corton (red burgundy) for 320 euro to celebrate my last working day!! :D  :D  :D

What about you??

Hi,

Knowing my wines, your post started to blink immediately as no other did....

Most expensive one I ever had was also a Lafitte, but from 1929, back in 1995 at the Grand Hotel in Stockholm, which has the best collection of Lafitte in the world....

Then 1822.... I doubted your statement and did a google, which turned up that 1 bottle was recently purchased by Le Forge in Miami at the grand price of USD 150.000.

Believe me that you will not be allowed to drink this, its only prestige to have.

I do have a 1949 Lafitte in my fathers' cellar waiting for my retirement :D

Cheers !

just my 2 satang

Nothing quite so grand , a bottle of Penfolds Grange , weighed in at £110( from a wine shop , probably £250 in a poncey restaurant)

Bet it tasted nicer than yours though...... :o

Chon, the next time you are in a good wine shop in soapdoger land, try a kiwi wine called Larose from Stonyridge. The non-vintage goes for about 50squid.

Unless you are a member of the Stonyridge wine club (membership has been chokka for about 10 years), it is almost impossible to get in NZ as 90% of it is exported.

Not as good as a penfolds grange,but very close.

Most exp[ensive wine that I have had here at a resturant, is a bottle of krug. i think it was around THB9000. I wasn't paying! :D

Nothing quite so grand , a bottle of Penfolds Grange , weighed in at £110( from a wine shop , probably £250 in a poncey restaurant)

Chon, the next time you are in a good wine shop in soapdoger land, try a kiwi wine called Larose from Stonyridge. The non-vintage goes for about 50squid.

Unless you are a member of the Stonyridge wine club (membership has been chokka for about 10 years), it is almost impossible to get in NZ as 90% of it is exported.

Most exp[ensive wine that I have had here at a resturant, is a bottle of krug. i think it was around THB9000. I wasn't paying! :D

Cheers for the Heads up , Chuchok :D

I may well head out to ye old Tesco's these arvo... :D

Will let you know my dipso-pinion :D

my most expensif was a 24 yr old Aloxe Corton (red burgundy) for 320 euro to celebrate my last working day!! :D  :D  :D

What about you??

Hi,

Knowing my wines, your post started to blink immediately as no other did....

Most expensive one I ever had was also a Lafitte, but from 1929, back in 1995 at the Grand Hotel in Stockholm, which has the best collection of Lafitte in the world....

Then 1822.... I doubted your statement and did a google, which turned up that 1 bottle was recently purchased by Le Forge in Miami at the grand price of USD 150.000.

Believe me that you will not be allowed to drink this, its only prestige to have.

I do have a 1949 Lafitte in my fathers' cellar waiting for my retirement :D

Cheers !

just my 2 satang

it was 1988, it was the Forge, they definitely had 5 Lafitte 1822, we saw them in the cellar, could have had one, but were advised, that no guarantee that we could drink it, and no refund!!

my best Lafitte was in Manchester, 1989, (name of hotel??) Lafitte 1964 on the list for 25 pounds, we order - sorry, we are out :D - but he promised three bottles for the following day - and had them!! :D

excellent wine, don'e know, how they could sell them for that money??

but although I like french wines, actually burgunds better than bordeaux, my real preference is spain!!

fantastic wines, and value for money!!

CVNE - top :vega sicilia, not easy to be found outside of the country

second : imperial - every good stocked serious wine shop in central europe :D

it was 1988, it was the Forge, they definitely had 5 Lafitte 1822, we saw them in the cellar, could have had one, but were advised, that no guarantee that we could drink it, and no refund!!

my best Lafitte was in Manchester, 1989, (name of hotel??) Lafitte 1964 on the list for 25 pounds, we order - sorry, we are out  - but he promised three bottles for the following day - and had them!! 

but although I like french wines, actually burgunds better than bordeaux, my real preference is spain!!

second : imperial - every good stocked serious wine shop in central europe

You are one lucky bastard to have seen such a wine ! :D

Then again, I would never pay to drink such a bottle, it must be way over the top....

I forgot to mention another top expensive wine : Chateau Cheval Blanc 1933, I was invited, but my host paid 83.000 Bt :o:D

just my 2 satang

Keep your eyes open for Henschke's Hill of Grace Chon. It's a small South Australian Barossa Valley Winery. A classic, and in my HO a better drop than Grange. Similar price.

Keep your eyes open for Henschke's Hill of Grace Chon. It's a small South Australian Barossa Valley Winery. A classic, and in my HO a better drop than Grange. Similar price.

Will do Doc , still looking for that beastie! Just halfway through a cheaper Penfolds right now , Rawsons Retreat , not too bad for a few schekels!

:D

Another very good red wine from the Coonawarra district is Jamieson's Run.

Nowhere near the price of Penfold's Grange Hermitage or the Henschke, but a consistantly good performer. :D

The most expensive bottle of wine I've ever shared was a 1983 Grange Hermitage...

at AUD$300 a bottle :o

Will do Doc , still looking for that beastie! Just halfway through a cheaper Penfolds right now , Rawsons Retreat , not too bad for a few schekels!

Rawsons Retreat runs to $AUD9 a throw in Oz. I saw one on a hotel wine list in Siam Square at a poverty packers discount of 2,800 baht a bottle. I lost my thirst for wine and stuck with the water :D

Rawsons Retreat runs to $AUD9  a throw in Oz. I saw one on a hotel wine list in Siam Square at a poverty packers discount of 2,800 baht a bottle. I lost my thirst for wine and stuck with the water :D

Do you think the new Free Trade Agreement between AUS and LOS will have any effect on these prices? :o

10 times the retail price is pretty steep. :D

Rawsons Retreat runs to $AUD9 a throw in Oz. I saw one on a hotel wine list in Siam Square at a poverty packers discount of 2,800 baht a bottle. I lost my thirst for wine and stuck with the water :D

An outrageous mark up.Does anybody else have the difficulty I have in working out the rip off factor in wine prices in Bangkok? What I mean is understanding the impact shipping costs, import tax and retailers markup has.Thus taking Dr P's example of Rawsons Retreat at $AUD9 in Oz, what would be the reasonable selling price in Bangkok? Surely it should not be more than Bt 600 -at absolute upper limit- representing a 100% markup.

A secondary question where in Bangkok is there a reasonable selection at good value for money?Villa has a wide variety but disorganised and very expensive (but some spendidly silly sales girls).Foodland is ok but rather dull selection.Wine Connection with branches in Covent Road and off Sukhumvit is in my opinion the best but limited range.Any thoughts?

Bangkok Fine Wine is a company that sells a range of good wines from various countries at reasonable (for Thailand) prices. You can also get a 10% discount if buying in case lots.

For example: Brokenhills Estate Colombard/Chardonnay for 4,680 baht / case.

They provided the wine for the Australian Chamber of Commerce AFL Grand Final Party at the Sheraton last year. :o

I'm not sure where their outlet is (as I usually send a driver to pick up my order) but I do have a name and contact number if anyone's interested.

An outrageous mark up.Does anybody else have the difficulty I have in working out the rip off factor in wine prices in Bangkok? What I mean is understanding the impact shipping costs, import tax and retailers markup has.Thus taking Dr P's example of Rawsons Retreat at $AUD9 in Oz, what would be the reasonable selling price in Bangkok? Surely it should not be more than Bt 600 -at absolute upper limit- representing a 100% markup.

A secondary question where in Bangkok is there a reasonable selection at good value for money?Villa has a wide variety but disorganised and very expensive (but some spendidly silly sales girls).Foodland is ok but rather dull selection.Wine Connection with branches in Covent Road and off Sukhumvit is in my opinion the best but limited range.Any thoughts?

The taxes bringing the stuff in to Thailand exceed 300 per cent on product freight and insurance. The FTA will reduce taxes in time. The Penfold's name brings a bit of a premium too. Hotels always go for a big lick.

You are correct Boris.The cost of freight etc should not be that much of a burden on the price of wine.

I would suggest that the actual Importer/distributor is also clipping the ticket in a big way.

It would not take much to set up a wine club from just TV members??

I am sick and tired of paying through the nose for a crap bottle of wine that you would normally use as paint stripper. :o

You are correct Boris.The cost of freight etc should not be that much of a burden on the price of wine.

I would suggest that the actual Importer/distributor is also clipping the ticket in a big way.

I am sick and tired of paying through the nose for a crap bottle of wine that you would normally use as paint stripper. :o

Top on guys!!

I remember being outside of Perth in a nice little vinery, tasting excellent wine (7-9$ the bottle), wanting to buy two cases and send them home to europe :

price for the wine $ 204.-, freight $ 288.-!!

That's when I left!

it wouldn/t take much to set up ..."

can you enlist me as your first customer, and don't orry. I will bring you more!! :D

my best Lafitte was in Manchester, 1989, (name of hotel??) Lafitte 1964 on the list for 25 pounds, we order - sorry, we are out  - but he promised three bottles for the following day - and had them!! 

second : imperial - every good stocked serious wine shop in central europe

You are one lucky bastard to have seen such a wine ! :D

Then again, I would never pay to drink such a bottle, it must be way over the top....

I forgot to mention another top expensive wine : Chateau Cheval Blanc 1933, I was invited, but my host paid 83.000 Bt :D :D

just my 2 satang

Cheval Blanc, 1933 - best ever St Emilion, talking about a lucky bastard!!?? :o

I looked for the year in the JOHNSON, doesn't go that far back, neither does Stevenson (Sotheby's world of wine)

It would not take much to set up a wine club from just TV members??

I am sick and tired of paying through the nose for a crap bottle of wine that you would normally use as paint stripper. :D

Hey I'd be in that...

And I've got quite a few expat mates that would be keen as well. :D

Any takers? :o

Although not an expensive wine - Taylors Cab Sav is well priced in LOS at about 850 baht per bottle. It is available in Angrit as well Chon.

I'll have a looksee for that , cheers Tornie!

(off topic) Thanks again for that info on Peter A in Phukers! My mate was chuffed and slightly amazed that I could find this out through the TV network! If we ever meet I'll buy you a few jars mate!

:o

Bejaasus Doc , that's some rip off , I managed 2 bottles for a tenner even over here. DOc could you pm me a list of recommended SE Oz wines for me to try when you have a minute?

Cheers

:o ...hic!

The oldest and in this case priciest as well in my possession is a pair of 1970 bottle of bordeaux region Chateau Latour - Pauillac. they should be drunk anytime between now and the year 2030. Before 2000 it wouldn't have been that good.

Upon evaluation five years ago it was worth nearly 700 Euro's per bottle!!

Personally, though, my preference goes to Italian wines, mostly from the Piemonte regions.

regards,

The oldest and in this case priciest as well in my possession is a pair of 1970 bottle of bordeaux region Chateau Latour - Pauillac. they should be drunk anytime between now and the year 2030. Before 2000 it wouldn't have been that good.

Personally, though, my preference goes to Italian wines, mostly from the Piemonte regions.

regards,

Chon and I, as super dipso members of TV mostly drink the Chateau Cardboard January vintage :o ( aka 10 buck chuck )

Bangkok Fine Wine is a company that sells a range of good wines from various countries at reasonable (for Thailand) prices.  You can also get a 10% discount if buying in case lots.

For example: Brokenhills Estate Colombard/Chardonnay for 4,680 baht / case.

They provided the wine for the Australian Chamber of Commerce AFL Grand Final Party at the Sheraton last year. :o

I'm not sure where their outlet is (as I usually send a driver to pick up my order) but I do have a name and contact number if anyone's interested.

I am

regards,

Chon and I, as super dipso members of TV mostly drink the Chateau Cardboard January vintage :D ( aka 10 buck chuck )

Isn't the equivilent here that Italian crap in large bottles that you can buy at the super for THB200 per 1.5litre bottle...'course I have never tried it. :D:o