Good Wines

chico

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc ( and Oz wine fans ) I've just come back from the Wine shop with a couple of mid range Ozzie Shiraz's. Never tried 'em before.

1. Wakefield Clare Valley Shiraz ( S.A) - 2003 Vintage ( a mighty 15 %)

2. Bosworth Shiraz - Mc Laren Vale - 2002 ( A sensible 14.5 % )

I aim to knock 'em both back whilst watching crap video's with wifey.

I'll log back on in a few hours with a review of the wine and the films ( Unless I get lucky :o)

Anyone had 'em before? ( wine not wifey... :D )

Chon the wino........

Doc ( and Oz wine fans ) I've just come back from the Wine shop with a couple of mid range Ozzie Shiraz's. Never tried 'em before.

I'll log back on in a few hours with a review of the wine and the films ( Unless I get lucky  :o)

Anyone had 'em before?  ( wine not wifey... :D  )

Chon the wino........

Both small wineries Chon. I haven't tried 'em. Let's know how they go :D

I'll log back on in a few hours with a review of the wine and the films ( Unless I get lucky  :o)

Chon the wino........

Where did you pick them up Chon?

Here (LOS) or Oz?

Chon the wino........

Where did you pick them up Chon?

Here (LOS) or Oz?

He's in Dodgerland :D Gets on the booze to keep the chill out :D

Most expansive wine I ever drank was a bottle of Chateau Migraine that in a fit of rage went out of the window after a few sips, unfortunately smashing itself on a Porsche which was parked below. The paint job and damages set me back a couple of thousand quid.

I learned my lesson though; never drink wine straight from the bottle anymore but use a glass instead.

Most expansive wine I ever drank was a bottle of Chateau Migraine that in a fit of rage went out of the window after a few sips, unfortunately smashing itself on a Porsche which was parked below. The paint job and damages set me back a couple of thousand quid.

I learned my lesson though; never drink wine straight from the bottle anymore but use a glass instead.

Did you get the cat :-)

B

Well , fellow wine fans. I awoke at approx noon ( 20 mins ago Dodger time)

The Mother of Hangovers was and is and will still be upon me.

The House bereft of Wifie and Rugrats , Washing and Drying machines on full blast , a buzzing noise somewhere , unable to locate and terminate.

I found 2 the empty bottles of grog , found a few scribblings on a scrap of paper , the words - Lush , Strong, Peppery, Bloody decent were scrawled across the sheet.

Still surprised by the tenacity of my condition , stumbling to the Cereal cupboard I revealed the culprit and reason for my state of ill- being.

A Half- emplty bottle of Cask Conditioned ( 60 % ) Laphroaig.

:o

Well , fellow wine fans. I awoke at approx noon ( 20 mins ago Dodger time)

The Mother of Hangovers was and is and will still be upon me.

The House bereft of Wifie and Rugrats , Washing and Drying machines on full blast , a buzzing noise somewhere , unable to locate and terminate.

I found 2 the empty bottles of grog , found a few scribblings on a scrap of paper , the words - Lush , Strong, Peppery, Bloody decent were scrawled across the sheet.

Still surprised by the tenacity of my condition , stumbling to the Cereal cupboard I revealed the culprit and reason for my state of ill- being.

A Half- emplty bottle of Cask Conditioned ( 60 % ) Laphroaig.

:o

:D Piss'ead

Nothing quite so grand , a bottle of Penfolds Grange , weighed in at £110( from a wine shop , probably £250 in a poncey restaurant)

Bet it tasted nicer than yours though...... :o

Chon, the next time you are in a good wine shop in soapdoger land, try a kiwi wine called Larose from Stonyridge. The non-vintage goes for about 50squid.

Unless you are a member of the Stonyridge wine club (membership has been chokka for about 10 years), it is almost impossible to get in NZ as 90% of it is exported.

Not as good as a penfolds grange,but very close.

Most exp[ensive wine that I have had here at a resturant, is a bottle of krug. i think it was around THB9000. I wasn't paying! :D

Cheers for the Heads up , Chuchok :D

I may well head out to ye old Tesco's these arvo... :D

Will let you know my dipso-pinion :D

Keep your eyes open for Henschke's Hill of Grace Chon. It's a small South Australian Barossa Valley Winery. A classic, and in my HO a better drop than Grange. Similar price.

Will do Doc , still looking for that beastie! Just halfway through a cheaper Penfolds right now , Rawsons Retreat , not too bad for a few schekels!

:D

Rawsons Retreat runs to $AUD9 a throw in Oz. I saw one on a hotel wine list in Siam Square at a poverty packers discount of 2,800 baht a bottle. I lost my thirst for wine and stuck with the water :D

An outrageous mark up.Does anybody else have the difficulty I have in working out the rip off factor in wine prices in Bangkok? What I mean is understanding the impact shipping costs, import tax and retailers markup has.Thus taking Dr P's example of Rawsons Retreat at $AUD9 in Oz, what would be the reasonable selling price in Bangkok? Surely it should not be more than Bt 600 -at absolute upper limit- representing a 100% markup.

A secondary question where in Bangkok is there a reasonable selection at good value for money?Villa has a wide variety but disorganised and very expensive (but some spendidly silly sales girls).Foodland is ok but rather dull selection.Wine Connection with branches in Covent Road and off Sukhumvit is in my opinion the best but limited range.Any thoughts?

It is much like the imported beer rip off scam going on here in Thailand

Nothing quite so grand , a bottle of Penfolds Grange , weighed in at £110( from a wine shop , probably £250 in a poncey restaurant)

Bet it tasted nicer than yours though...... :o

Chon, the next time you are in a good wine shop in soapdoger land, try a kiwi wine called Larose from Stonyridge. The non-vintage goes for about 50squid.

Unless you are a member of the Stonyridge wine club (membership has been chokka for about 10 years), it is almost impossible to get in NZ as 90% of it is exported.

Not as good as a penfolds grange,but very close.

Most exp[ensive wine that I have had here at a resturant, is a bottle of krug. i think it was around THB9000. I wasn't paying! :D

Cheers for the Heads up , Chuchok :D

I may well head out to ye old Tesco's these arvo... :D

Will let you know my dipso-pinion :D

Keep your eyes open for Henschke's Hill of Grace Chon. It's a small South Australian Barossa Valley Winery. A classic, and in my HO a better drop than Grange. Similar price.

Will do Doc , still looking for that beastie! Just halfway through a cheaper Penfolds right now , Rawsons Retreat , not too bad for a few schekels!

:D

Rawsons Retreat runs to $AUD9 a throw in Oz. I saw one on a hotel wine list in Siam Square at a poverty packers discount of 2,800 baht a bottle. I lost my thirst for wine and stuck with the water :D

An outrageous mark up.Does anybody else have the difficulty I have in working out the rip off factor in wine prices in Bangkok? What I mean is understanding the impact shipping costs, import tax and retailers markup has.Thus taking Dr P's example of Rawsons Retreat at $AUD9 in Oz, what would be the reasonable selling price in Bangkok? Surely it should not be more than Bt 600 -at absolute upper limit- representing a 100% markup.

A secondary question where in Bangkok is there a reasonable selection at good value for money?Villa has a wide variety but disorganised and very expensive (but some spendidly silly sales girls).Foodland is ok but rather dull selection.Wine Connection with branches in Covent Road and off Sukhumvit is in my opinion the best but limited range.Any thoughts?

It is much like the imported beer rip off scam going on here in Thailand

Some muvvers do 'ave 'em. Phillistines don't rule.

O well hello, I bet I have drunk more expensive bottles than all of you and not even realised.

B

Only because you know nothing about wine and got ripped off!!!! :o

I love wine more than you know (you may know more about wine than me)!

But when someone else is paying the bill, I would never, in any cricumstance, enquire as to how much the bottle cost, I would just be enjoying the company firstmost and foremost!

Manners cost nothing especially at the most basic level.

I know that I would rather give my money to a worthy charity than to spunk it on very expensive wines.

B

O well hello, I bet I have drunk more expensive bottles than all of you and not even realised.

B

But when someone else is paying the bill, I would never, in any cricumstance, enquire as to how much the bottle cost, I would just be enjoying the company firstmost and foremost!

I know that I would rather give my money to a worthy charity than to spunk it on very expensive wines.

B

Come again? :D

B

B

Come again? :D

I thought that it was cum again. :D

B

B

Why not add something to this thread instead of making snobby empty gestures.

Name some names , that's the point of the thread , or is it bad manners to enquire as to the origins of the grape juice what you be ingesting squire ?