Immigration At Suvarnabhumi

I arrived at the airport on Tuesday 26th May around 8.30pm on TG 990 direct from Auckland, New Zealand and the flight was around 60 to 70% full.

The flight was actually 30 minutes early and I slowly walked up to the Immigration desks.

There was a nurse handing out the check lists if you didn't get one on the flight.

When I got to the desks the guy at the front said take any desk, I went to the desk which was empty, the guy check my passport and visa, said welcome to Thailand and I went off to baggage claim.

My bags were through in around 5 minutes, customs were not bothered with me but I had to wait 15 minutes for my brother in law to pick me up as the flight was early.

It was nice, simple and uneventful.

No problems or hassle at all.

Much better than Sydney, Auckland or London the last time I was there.

So thank you very much Suvarnabhumi for a pleasant arrival.

:):D :D

I arrived at the airport on Tuesday 26th May around 8.30pm on TG 990 direct from Auckland, New Zealand and the flight was around 60 to 70% full.

The flight was actually 30 minutes early and I slowly walked up to the Immigration desks.

There was a nurse handing out the check lists if you didn't get one on the flight.

When I got to the desks the guy at the front said take any desk, I went to the desk which was empty, the guy check my passport and visa, said welcome to Thailand and I went off to baggage claim.

My bags were through in around 5 minutes, customs were not bothered with me but I had to wait 15 minutes for my brother in law to pick me up as the flight was early.

:):D:D

Nice to hear a positive story like this! Here's hoping the tide is turning (holding my breath)...

I think you are winding us up " Welcome to Thailand' My Backside

If that is true, And I find it hard to belive. Someone high up has been giving them the hard word

I wonder if you get a ,Thank you for visiting Thailand please come back soon, when you leave.

I cant wait to find out.

:D :D :D

Good to hear you had a quiet arrival Pinocchio; no need for the confabulated report though! :)

About 30% of the time the Immi officer says something nice to me along those lines. And I have had one guy 3-4 times in the past few months and he chats with me each time.

As for waiting times they are dramatically down in the last 8 months, at least 3 times have walked straight up to the officer. I will not be flying these next fewmonths by choice so think waiting times will be even shorter.

I've been visiting Thailand for the past 6 years and have been staying here for the past 2 years going to and from work outside Thailand in that time I've never seen at passport control any Thai officials crack a smile,plenty of scowling and huffing and puffing,ah first impressions.

My parents came over in Feb for a month to visit me, they had also come over 2 years previous. The officer on immigration looked in my Father's passport, noticed that he has stamps from his previous visit to Thailand and welcomed him back again whilst also joking that he had a different, and much younger lady with him this time (he hadn't, he was with my Mum again).

Some people just want things to be negative and will hammer down any positive experience by others.

Ever thought of the fact that this attitude also shows in body language and therefor you probably get the answer and treatment you expect and deserve?

Some people just want things to be negative and will hammer down any positive experience by others.

Ever thought of the fact that this attitude also shows in body language and therefor you probably get the answer and treatment you expect and deserve?

Oddly enough I was expecting more negative replies.

As you say be positive, friendly and polite and som nam na.

The same for a negative reaction.

I have been through Thai immigration more times than I can remember and no official has ever said 'Welcome to Thailand' or any such friendly phrase.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just think it is a very rare event.

I would probably stand more chance if I were a 21 year old young lady with a sylph body instead of an aging, beer-bellied, sweating Londoner with halitosis and jam-jar glasses. :)

I think you are winding us up " Welcome to Thailand' My Backside

If that is true, And I find it hard to belive. Someone high up has been giving them the hard word

I wonder if you get a ,Thank you for visiting Thailand please come back soon, when you leave.

I cant wait to find out.

On my arrival I was at an empty immigration desk, invited by a hand gesture to approach the hallowed desk where the immigration officer treated the swine flu form with the distain it deserved and was through like a dose of salts. No 'Welcome to Thailand' or brass bands but a swift and pain free arrival. Can't wait till november/ december.

I arrived just a few days ago and had very much the same experience. I guess it was quite a long walk from the arrival gate to immigration, but there were quite a few of the electronic walkways to smooth that. I experienced no swine flu check, although I know most have...perhaps because I had a very early arrival time? Immigration was very fast...maybe 3 minutes. Baggage rather quick. No stoppage at customs clearance. And off in a taxi almost immediately. And, even though by that time it was the beginning of rush hour, got from the airport to Thanon Phetburi, Soi 15 in less than 30 minutes. I was extremely pleased with the smoothness.

Very perceptive, and although I hadn't quite thought of the body language issue, you're right. At LAX as I was waiting for my flight I wondered who my seat mate would be, and it was body language that would most often lead me to think that I hoped it would not be that person. As it turned out it was a very nice young Thai fellow, and although we didn't chat he was very pleasant. Meanwhile, a couple of seats back was a farang couple who were the nagging each other type. Far enough away to be humorous.

I have been through Thai immigration more times than I can remember and no official has ever said 'Welcome to Thailand' or any such friendly phrase.

I would probably stand more chance if I were a 21 year old young lady with a sylph body instead of an aging, beer-bellied, sweating Londoner with halitosis and jam-jar glasses. :D

Well you were fairly close in your description except that I am fat (too much food in NZ) but don't drink beer, sweating after a 12 1/2 hour flight, I do wear spectacles but not jam jar style, no halitosis and from Poole in Dorset 65 years ago.

On the other hand I was polite, as well dressed as I could be after a long flight and very happy to be back home in Thailand :D .

Oh also I think I had a positive attitude but that is me most of the time. :)

I will check it out in the next days.

Last October I had no long waiting time because i was with my Thai son arriving and could use the Thai section of controls.

But at my last arrival from Europe in Jan. 2008 it was a terrible mess.

Hundreds of people in waiting, no nice welcome to wait for a long time in line after a long flight.

I would probably stand more chance if I were a 21 year old young lady with a sylph body instead of an aging, beer-bellied, sweating Londoner with halitosis and jam-jar glasses. :D

Well you were fairly close in your description except that I am fat (too much food in NZ) but don't drink beer, sweating after a 12 1/2 hour flight, I do wear spectacles but not jam jar style, no halitosis and from Poole in Dorset 65 years ago.

On the other hand I was polite, as well dressed as I could be after a long flight and very happy to be back home in Thailand :D .

Oh also I think I had a positive attitude but that is me most of the time. :)

I can vouch for Bill, happy go lucky polite guy and what he says is rite.

Myself, I have entered thru' Swampy many times more than I can recall, never more than half an hour getting landside.

I love Swampy, dam-ned good airport, despite big welcome........from touts, not as bad as it used to be.

Not many do welcome people physically..

Mind you, the day may come when I hit a wall of bodies.

(Edit for spell check.)

Edited by Zpete

I would probably stand more chance if I were a 21 year old young lady with a sylph body instead of an aging, beer-bellied, sweating Londoner with halitosis and jam-jar glasses. :)

Had a funny one today. Most of the passport lines were 8 to 10 deep. Naturally, I stood in the very short thai passport line with only one lady in front of me (naturally as I have a thai passport). However, I look far from Thai...

While she was stamping the lady in front of me, the immigration lady started repeating loudly 'thai passport only, thai passport only'. On and on she went, I think deliberately taking her time with the lady, probably she though I'd get the message and change lines.

I just smiled, hid my passport behind my back, and just nodded politely. On she went...

She eventually had to finish with the lady in front of me. I walked up with a grin on my face and placed my thai passport down. As I did that, she gave a 'khor thort ka'. I just smiled and she stamped me in. Needless to say I got proccessed in record time, and I was off.

I don't recall ever getting a welcome but I haven't encountered overt nastiness either (sometimes a generalized grumpiness that I don't take personally, its a crappy job). Anyway, I could care less, just stamp my passport correctly and I am happy!

I always give them a smile and a swasdee krab, but usually I'm ignored and treated with indifference as if I did not exist. The most polite Immigration officials I've met were in Hong Kong. Singapore can be OK too.

Worldwide, most Immigration officers could care less if entrants have a pleasant experience or not. Its not like they are competiting for your business if you want to enter the country :)

• 2 weeks later...

I flew into Suvarnabhumi yesterday - first time in 14 months - arrived at 0730. Only 20% of the Immigration booths (for Foreign Passport) manned. All the Thai Passport booths manned. Queue was 10 deep and moved very slowly. Very bored Immigration officer looked at every stamped page on my (Australian) passport - asked why I only spent 1 day in Singapore (I arrived at 0330, departed at 0630 yesterday).

I explained I was only in-transit in Singapore as I flew with Tiger Airways (a point-to-point LCC). No smile, no welcome from Immigration officer.

Walked to Belt 9, collected my bag, put it on a (free) trolley (better than PER which costs $AUD4) and exited via Gate 4. Only accosted by 1 taxi tout on the way out. No problems getting a taxi - got caught in peak-hour traffic - but it was still a good trip to the hotel in Saphan Kwai.

Please Immigration - more smiles and at least a word of welcome.

Serioulsy, if you were sat behind a desk stamping passports all day, would you have a big grin as the next spaced out, sweaty, yawning, bad breathed long haul passenger dumped his passport and incorrectly filled out immigration form on your desk for the 500th time that day, at the end of your 10 hour shift, at 4am! I think not. These guys are human and do a thankless task. Think about it!!

I have always had a nice smile and very often a greeting of some description from the immigration desk. Perhaps that is because, as another user quite rightly commented, i have a friendly and open body language however tired i am from my trip. Rather than thinking that Thailand owes me a favour for my being there.

Does all of you who have left a negative comment have only good days at the office? Jesus, why do so many people have to be negative about others positive comments.

:D:D:D

Good to hear you had a quiet arrival Pinocchio; no need for the confabulated report though! :)

So, then don't react though :D

Serioulsy, if you were sat behind a desk stamping passports all day, would you have a big grin as the next spaced out, sweaty, yawning, bad breathed long haul passenger dumped his passport and incorrectly filled out immigration form on your desk for the 500th time that day, at the end of your 10 hour shift, at 4am! I think not. These guys are human and do a thankless task. Think about it!!

I have always had a nice smile and very often a greeting of some description from the immigration desk. Perhaps that is because, as another user quite rightly commented, i have a friendly and open body language however tired i am from my trip. Rather than thinking that Thailand owes me a favour for my being there.

Does all of you who have left a negative comment have only good days at the office? Jesus, why do so many people have to be negative about others positive comments.

:)

:D:D:D

Oh I love the airport. I find it really pleasant as well after a tiring flight. Someone commented on the immigration to smile, I do understand them, you can imagine they are dealing with not just more than 10 but maybe more passports at a time. I have no idea how long do they sit there but I think it ain't easy if the work is on a regular basis. The quality and the quick service is enough, definitely makes anyone smile! :) Keep it up Suvarnabhumi people! ")

Someone commented on the immigration to smile, I do understand them, you can imagine they are dealing with not just more than 10 but maybe more passports at a time. I have no idea how long do they sit there but I think it ain't easy if the work is on a regular basis. The quality and the quick service is enough, definitely makes anyone smile! :) Keep it up Suvarnabhumi people! ")

Came in today. VoA was free. Immigration was fast - couldn't see the smiles though as most of them were behind face masks.

:D