We sent two parcels to relatives in the USA six weeks ago by registered air

mail and they have gone missing. No amount of talking to the post office

seems to help. They say that they can trace them but it will take two

months.

Basically I think that they will make us wait a long time and hope we go

away. The postal service is a distaster, if each depot signs for the parcels

it receives why cant they trace the depot where theft occurs within a

single day ? Do they really want to catch the people involved or is this

kind of theft organised at a higher level ?

Grrrrr

Though the theft could likely be at the airport, you might want to try a personal visit to your local postmaster. We had a farang neighbor with some similar experiences, and things got much better after a little chat... If things also improve for you after your chat, don't forget to show some appreciation at New Year time via some fruit or something. :o

Personally, I've 'lost' one package in twenty years...

I have only temporarily lost one in 12 years.

That was a letter on my 30th birthday. My Aunt sent me $100, why I don't know as she is in the UK and TIT(no US dollars). I neever got the letter and gave it up for lost as sending cash in an envelope is not wise. On my 31st birthday, guess what came through the post? That letter from my Aunt!

I still don't understand it. And it wasn't a new letter, postmark 1 year old!

I had a parcel sent from Australia to Thailand, registered post

Took one month (to the day) for it to arrive, i was on the phone once a week hassleing them about it, i dont know if that made any difference.

If its something thats important to you, spend a little extra cash and get it sent via UPS/DHL or similar.

I have only temporarily lost one in 12 years.

That was a letter on my 30th birthday. My Aunt sent me $100, why I don't know as she is in the UK and TIT(no US dollars). I neever got the letter and gave it up for lost as sending cash in an envelope is not wise. On my 31st birthday, guess what came through the post? That letter from my Aunt!

I still don't understand it. And it wasn't a new letter, postmark 1 year old!

I used to send my GF, (Now my Wife) what money I had left when I returned to Scotland. It wasn't a lot but everytime I sent the money she didn't get the full amount which I had put in the envelope. If I had sent 3000 Baht she would get 1500 Baht, I did this about 3 times. We found out that it was the post woman in our next village who was into all the mail. We never found out what happened to her though. Thai ********

I used to send my GF, (Now my Wife) what money I had left when I returned to Scotland. It wasn't a lot but everytime I sent the money she didn't get the full amount which I had put in the envelope. If I had sent 3000 Baht she would get 1500 Baht, I did this about 3 times. We found out that it was the post woman in our next village who was into all the mail. We never found out what happened to her though. Thai ********

Maybe doing 30 years in Lad Prao jail.

Probably working for TRT.

I wonder if Post Office fraud is as serious here as it is in Scotland.

There was that guy on the toll-way booth recently that got over 40 years for pocketing about 1000 quid.

Her boss probably said, "it was only a farang's money, mai pen rai"

In this country it is not how much you steal that is important, but how important the person you stole from is!

About ten years ago I had a package go to Malaysia. There were food items in it. When I got it it was smashed open and ants where in the whole thing.

My sister send me a package last year which disappeared for three weeks. It was express mail. Because I was never home I expected to get a little pink card which told me to go pick it up at the post office. I waited and waited and it never came. Finally after the three weeks I got the card which had a checked box indicating that this was my third notice to go pick it up. I got it. I never figured out what happened to the other two parcel pickup notification cards.

Finally I got my Absentee ballot for the US election after the election. I expected it but it never came then I started to doubt myself thinking that maybe I screwed up when I applied for it so I wouldn't get one. I'm not registered in Ohio or Florida so my vote wouldn't have had an effect there.

My wife was waiting for a parcel from Brisbane, sent last November, not insured.

Gave up on it. A few days arrived safely back in Brisbane with the remark by the Thai post-office: 'address insufficient'.

The address was actually perfectly ok, but Sukhumvit was written as

Suk humvit (the gap covered by a string).

Wonder what that was all about.

Though the theft could likely be at the airport, you might want to try a personal visit to your local postmaster. We had a farang neighbor with some similar experiences, and things got much better after a little chat... If things also improve for you after your chat, don't forget to show some appreciation at New Year time via some fruit or something.  :o

Hi Ajarn

Yes weve done all the personal visits and presents to solve the last lot of theft. We think it is local because three parcels on differnet days now have gone mising. We know both the local post mistress and the postal bosses at the central (local) post office.

But, how much can you really know these people. We suspect its a local problem because its all our parcels. My wife went in to 'talk' to the boss at the area post office and he was aparently very polite and said he would do what he could.

But then he might be the one ripping off the mail to pay his car payments, how can you know. I decided to complain via the Thai Post web site as well in case the local people dont proceed with the checking.

Grrrr Frustrated in Isaan

My wife was waiting for a parcel from Brisbane, sent last November, not insured.

Gave up on it. A few days arrived safely back in Brisbane with the remark by the Thai post-office: 'address insufficient'.

The address was actually perfectly ok, but Sukhumvit was written as

Suk humvit (the gap covered by a string).

Wonder what that was all about.

Looks like Bernard Trink got to it first Axel..........definitely a case of (hu)man(nat)ure, me ol' mucker.

Only ever lost one package in 15 years. And I wouldn't be surprised if that disappeared in the UK. I used to know a lot of PO employees back home and they told a few stories.

Put a 43000 baht Bank cheque in the post once and it went missing.....cancelled the cheque after 2 weeks...and resent through the bank.....never found out what happened to it....

Edited by gburns57au

Using a courier like DHL or FedEx is the worst thing you can do, it will cost you a fortune to get the parcel. They take the value of the parcel, add the shipping fees to it, then charge you around 40% on average in "taxes".

The best way to send small items is using EMS from OZ, or Global Express in the USA, Europe has a traceable Express Mail service also. EMS Australia to Bangkok usually 3-5 days max, EMS bangkok to OZ the same time.

Another very good method is to send insured airmail, insure it for under $100.00 and it will usually get to you without being stopped at customs, and it seems that noone wants to risk touching insured items due to the ease you can claim for loss, and the subsequent shit storm that will happen inside the postal system when they have to pay out on a claim.

I sent 6 of the largest cartons from BKK to OZ using insured economy air and surface mail, and they all arrived intact without being touched. Took a month to 3 months for the different methods of shipping. Only time I ever lost a package was from Singapore to Bkk and it was sent regular mail, I told them it would get lost but they didnt believe me! :o

Well me too,I supposed to get my Credit Card pin number from SCB bank 3 month ago but never received it...Called up th SCB head office it says that they have sent it to me via my home address ...up till now nver received any pin number ...but i dont need a pin number anyway coz im not taking any cash from the atm...Give up on it....

But atleast my Credit card is safe delivered via registered mail...

Only ever lost one package in 15 years. And I wouldn't be surprised if that disappeared in the UK. I used to know a lot of PO employees back home and they told a few stories.

Yep, I knew a lot of guys that worked on the Post in the UK and these guys where robbing everything they could get away with. :o

Whats a "lot of guys"?

Though the theft could likely be at the airport, you might want to try a personal visit to your local postmaster. We had a farang neighbor with some similar experiences, and things got much better after a little chat... If things also improve for you after your chat, don't forget to show some appreciation at New Year time via some fruit or something.  :o

Hi Ajarn

Yes weve done all the personal visits and presents to solve the last lot of theft. We think it is local because three parcels on differnet days now have gone mising. We know both the local post mistress and the postal bosses at the central (local) post office.

But, how much can you really know these people. We suspect its a local problem because its all our parcels. My wife went in to 'talk' to the boss at the area post office and he was aparently very polite and said he would do what he could.

But then he might be the one ripping off the mail to pay his car payments, how can you know. I decided to complain via the Thai Post web site as well in case the local people don't proceed with the checking.

Grrrr Frustrated in Isaan

issan2, I know that feeling of frusration because you feel so powerless... I recognize that the only reason I'm not in your boat is out of pure luck, and sometimes the 'visits' help, but what about when they don't, like in this case?

There is also a box in front of the PM's residence in Bangkok, as well as a government PO Box to report such stuff anonymously. Good luck :D

Two birthday cards never made it here.

My mum's Christmas card never made it to here :o

My brother's letter took 47 days. :D

My International Driving Permit never made it either. :D

I now tell my brother to photocopy anything important and (1) send the copy and (2) scan the original and email it.

Using a courier like DHL or FedEx is the worst thing you can do, it will cost you a fortune to get the parcel. They take the value of the parcel, add the shipping fees to it, then charge you around 40% on average in "taxes".

The

Today I sent a package to my Dad, 132 Baht by regular airmail, 1045 Baht for DHL :o

I chose air mail!

First thing to remember is that incoming parcels are x-rayed for drugs and other types of contraband so if theres anything that shouldnt be in there it will be pulled out for inspection . theres supposed to be CCTV in these places . :o

Delivery of parcels is very insecure with open trucks and even open bags so anyone could snatch a handfull of mail somewhere along the line .

Pattaya and Patong are said to be the worst as the posties know theres likely to be money or cheques in letters.

The more hops it takes from BKK the more chance it has of being stolen or interfered with.

I have had numerous parcels go missing over the years ,registered and unregistered .

Over the last 20 years there have been regular complaints about mail theft in theletters page of the BKK Post ,and they have done reports about mail theft in the Post .

There is a post office number you can call about mail theft and it is said you could get some sort of reply but i dont recall the number. The postal authorities seem to deny that there is a problem of mail theft .

They do investigate thieving posties and they do get arrested from time to time

In a letter to the post some Brit once said he posted some monopoly money to test out the posties in LOS and it never arrived !

In another report in the Post it was said that 25% of registered mail gets stolen at the airport before it even reaches the sorting office . This report was before online Post so its not available online.

A good place to start is aletter to the BKK post or Nation to draw their attention to your problem

I no how it feels,

have had 3 letters and 1 parcel go missing when sent from uk to los no real value but when you are sending a present or letter to the person you love it does p**s you off.

dont no if stolen in uk or los but a thief is a thief!!!