New Look At Immigration

rohitsuk

I did my annual visa extension last Thursday which, at about forty minutes, was by far the swiftest and also the most pleasant renewal I have enjoyed, in nearly twenty-five years, in Bangkok and Pattaya as well as CM.

A lot of new fresh young faces amongst the staff and very pleasant, chatty and polite they were too as well as jolly efficient. No today’s new rule, no two copies of everything that I had only one copy of, no birth certificate for my Grandmother’s cat showing its blood group and no tee hee hee we give farang the run around. I have had good service here in CM for the past two years but the big change last Thursday was service with a nice smile and a good grace, which seemed to make everybody happy.

I suggest that the new Honorary British Counsel organizes a “Thank You” party for our new Immigration Staff at The British Council and Consulate Office, funded by contributions from appreciative customers of all nationalities. It must surely be in everybody’s interest to foster the closest, most amiable, happy and effective relationship between the foreign community and the Immigration Service, in our lovely city of Chiang Mai.

I did my annual visa extension last Thursday which, at about forty minutes, was by far the swiftest and also the most pleasant renewal I have enjoyed, in nearly twenty-five years, in Bangkok and Pattaya as well as CM.

A lot of new fresh young faces amongst the staff and very pleasant, chatty and polite they were too as well as jolly efficient. No today's new rule, no two copies of everything that I had only one copy of, no birth certificate for my Grandmother's cat showing its blood group and no tee hee hee we give farang the run around. I have had good service here in CM for the past two years but the big change last Thursday was service with a nice smile and a good grace, which seemed to make everybody happy.

I suggest that the new Honorary British Counsel organizes a "Thank You" party for our new Immigration Staff at The British Council and Consulate Office, funded by contributions from appreciative customers of all nationalities. It must surely be in everybody's interest to foster the closest, most amiable, happy and effective relationship between the foreign community and the Immigration Service, in our lovely city of Chiang Mai.

Chiangmai Immigration has always been like this. Ten years ago the Immigration Chief often went down to the Gymkhana club and asked the many expatriates there if he could help them in way

A lot of new fresh young faces amongst the staff and very pleasant, chatty and polite they were too as well as jolly efficient. No today's new rule, no two copies of everything that I had only one copy of, no birth certificate for my Grandmother's cat showing its blood group and no tee hee hee we give farang the run around. I have had good service here in CM for the past two years but the big change last Thursday was service with a nice smile and a good grace, which seemed to make everybody happy.

I suggest that the new Honorary British Counsel organizes a "Thank You" party for our new Immigration Staff at The British Council and Consulate Office, funded by contributions from appreciative customers of all nationalities. It must surely be in everybody's interest to foster the closest, most amiable, happy and effective relationship between the foreign community and the Immigration Service, in our lovely city of Chiang Mai.

Chiangmai Immigration has always been like this. Ten years ago the Immigration Chief often went down to the Gymkhana club and asked the many expatriates there if he could help them in way

No, it hasn't always been like this. A few years ago, under the old management, it was 'suggested' to me that if I were to 'give' my case worker 100,000 baht, my visa would be no problem. As a result, I complained to a friend who had some influence, and was invited by management to get my visa in 10 minutes, no hassle. And the case worker was quickly replaced... It is not going to be great at immigration for everyone, but in my experience they do take care of problems that can happen to you.

Edited by Ajarn

I've always enjoyed efficient, courteous, corruption-free service for the past several years. Even once when they were following the rules and fined me heavily for an overstay that was entirely my fault, they were apologetic, although one of them did give off an ever so slight "woo-hoo! Ka-chink!" vibe. But maybe that's just me.

Three years later and one of them remembered the fine as soon as she saw me. I guess I have one of those faces that people don't easily forget. I'd never make it as a con artist.

Tip: don't go in the afternoon and don't go on a Friday. My latest trip was last week, on a Friday afternoon. It was crowded, the officers were tired, harried and eager to begin their weekend. The officer advised me to avoid afternoons, Fridays and ESPECIALLY Friday afternoons.

I've always enjoyed efficient, courteous, corruption-free service for the past several years. Even once when they were following the rules and fined me heavily for an overstay that was entirely my fault, they were apologetic, although one of them did give off an ever so slight "woo-hoo! Ka-chink!" vibe. But maybe that's just me.

Three years later and one of them remembered the fine as soon as she saw me. I guess I have one of those faces that people don't easily forget. I'd never make it as a con artist.

Tip: don't go in the afternoon and don't go on a Friday. My latest trip was last week, on a Friday afternoon. It was crowded, the officers were tired, harried and eager to begin their weekend. The officer advised me to avoid afternoons, Fridays and ESPECIALLY Friday afternoons.

Friday afternoon should be the worst time to visit and you have obviously experienced this. However, I was due to pick up my annual extension stamp last Friday and was unable to get to their offices until the afternoon. Having mentally prepared myself for a long wait and rows of parked people in the seats I was very pleasantly surprised to find the car park half empty and maybe half a dozen people in the waiting area. I barely had time to sip on my iced coffee before I was called up to collect my passport.

The general atmosphere and levels of service have definitely improved in the last year or two but, having said that, I have never had a major problem with the service provided, the only problems I have had have been minor ones of my own making and the officers at Immigration have always been helpful in sorting them out.

I find that it does help a lot if you have a friendly outgoing wife and a couple of cute children!

JxP

Last year when i did my one year retirement renewal, they kept the original copy of proof of income(pension) and said i have to have a new one each year (previous 3 years i used same one) . I have no problem with this BUT he also said i had to get the POI paper 3 months before i come in ..i asked him if he meant the 800,000 (which i am not doing). He did not reply.

Has anyone run into this ??

Thanks Chorizo

Last year when i did my one year retirement renewal, they kept the original copy of proof of income(pension) and said i have to have a new one each year (previous 3 years i used same one) . I have no problem with this BUT he also said i had to get the POI paper 3 months before i come in ..i asked him if he meant the 800,000 (which i am not doing). He did not reply.

Thanks Chorizo

I got my POI a week before I came in for my 1st retirement extension December 2008. There was no mention of getting the doc 3 months in advance.

Thanks Chorizo

I got my POI a week before I came in for my 1st retirement extension December 2008. There was no mention of getting the doc 3 months in advance.

I think what they mean is that the POI must not be older than three months. That would make sense, anyway :)

/ Priceless