Koh Chang

Koh_Falang

Afternoon All

Im planning a trip to Koh Chang however i dont know anything about it. Ive been to a few sites that seem to have a bit of information however i would like more

Whos been?? Where did you stay?? where would you say is the top beaches/spots.. Any tips or precautions or just opinions in general.

Any information would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers :o

Afternoon All

Im planning a trip to Koh Chang however i dont know anything about it. Ive been to a few sites that seem to have a bit of information however i would like more

Whos been?? Where did you stay?? where would you say is the top beaches/spots.. Any tips or precautions or just opinions in general.

Any information would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers :o

Ahh yes my absolute fave island! I've only managed to get there 4 or 5 times but I love it, very unspoiled and not very touristy, (as in bars and loud music on the beaches).

Most of the time me and my hubby stay at 'Coconut Beach Resort' which very reasonbly priced, has a fab quite beach and does the most amazing seafood BBQ in the evenings!

Weve also stayed at Khlong Prao (spelling) resort which IS pricey but you get all the luxerys, free breakfast, room service, UBC ect, you can even fish in the lake they've made if you get one of the bungalows situated there!

But my fave in Coconut Beach, even though it's not as luxerious, it's the best for quieter/ relaxing/ romantic time!

Heres a web site all about Koh Chang.

Make sure you take snorkelling gear and plenty of mossy spray!

Have a good time :D !

(Ooooh I'm so jealous now!) :D

Ahh sounds good...

I had the same idea about Koh Samet a few years ago.. It was paradise... the main beach was so white and unspoilt, I also enjoyed dinner under the trees at Jeps restraunt.. But i went there last year and it had changed alot since i last went there... There was rubbish on the beach, too many chairs cluttering the sand and i couldnt find the roti man... :o Im sure i will go there again but its definantly not as good as it used to be...

Koh Chang sounds like my kind of place.. A few drinks and dinner with the mrs.. :D

Mossies aye?? :D

The mozzies are the size of birds.I am still getting over the bites from 10 days ago.

I know!!! They're huge! Really can be painfull to be bitten by those ones too so I know what your going through Echino'! :o

I really have to slather on the deet in the evenings when I'm there! :D

Are you sure they are mozzies.

I read in the Bkk Post that Koh Chang gets infested with Tongue Flies ( well thats the thai translation)  and they have a nasty bite,  Much worse than a mozzy.

Hmm, don't know how simalar do tongue flies look to mossys?

As these b*ggers just look the same, but like they've been working out or something!

this is all starting to sound bad...  :D

Ill keep this in mind... boy am i gonna stink like insect repellent... LOL

Don't let the mossys scare you away from Koh Chang! They're like vampires, they only come out at night! :D:D (But garlic won't work, unless you cook them first! :o )

this is all starting to sound bad...  :o

Ill keep this in mind... boy am i gonna stink like insect repellent... LOL

These "tongue flies" are not there all the time, just a couple of months each year. I went to Koh Chang and never got bitten by anything.

Sorry I cannot remember which months it was a problem.

I stayed in a beachside bungalow at Koh Chang Resort & Spa... about 2,000 baht per night. Air conditioned, hot & cold running water, TV (not used much), just perfect... and the beach was only 10-15 paces away! :o

And the sunsets are magnificent. :D

Take me back.................

Keep spreading the mozzie info, it'll keep the riffraff out!

I recommend Cookie Bungalows right on White Sand Beach under the trees.

1000 a night, a/c and cable tv for the hard of thinking. Has a very good restaurant, open sides & wood floor where you can eat in or they will bring the menu and food to your bungalow where you can eat on the veranda with your TG. Nice for brekkie when you don't want to wake up fast and nice for intimate dinner before beddie-bye.

Shops and internet across the road. Couple of decent bars within a few yards either direction, one bar had a band that played Stones and Doors covers which I, as an old fart, like.

If you plan to go to Koh Chang on a National holiday, I recommend you leave the car on the mainland and walk onto the ferry. We were there for Songkran 2 years ago and had to sit in the car for 4 hours before getting onto the ferry back to the mainland.

Last time I checked a guide book (...might've been a Lonely P]sshead or Rough Gripe) there was more than a low risk malaria warning for KC. Same guide also said of Samet that the old malaria warnings no longer applied.

So what's the malaria deal in KC now? Is really it as low risk as Samet - i.e. non existent?

The odd google search states otherwise... e.g.:

http://www.se-asia.com/thailand/koh_chang.php

... not exactly confidence inspiring either: " MALARIA: does exist in a small way, mostly in the rainy season."

Thx v much, but even if it's a 100/1 shot, it's not something I'd care to mess with...

And what of this?:

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/malaria...h_east_asia.htm

"There is a high risk in Koh Chang in Thailand, and preventive medicines are recommended, as below..."

High risk, eh!?

Well ive been to Samet 3 times now and ive never had a problem or never heard of it before.... Ive been in Rainy and Dry season and its never posed a problem for me.

Still.. dont want to dull a good warning. You can never be too carefull.

I would HATE to get sick and be stuck in bed for any amount of time in Thailand. I would be definantly missing out on something good, whatever the season. And in the land of smiles there is always something that is worth not missing. :o

Keep spreading the mozzie info, it'll keep the riffraff out!

I recommend Cookie Bungalows right on White Sand Beach under the trees.

1000 a night, a/c and cable tv for the hard of thinking. Has a very good restaurant, open sides & wood floor where you can eat in or they will bring the menu and food to your bungalow where you can eat on the veranda with your TG. Nice for brekkie when you don't want to wake up fast and nice for intimate dinner before beddie-bye.

Shops and internet across the road. Couple of decent bars within a few yards either direction, one bar had a band that played Stones and Doors covers which I, as an old fart, like.

Yes agree with that johnnyk btw, i think the bar with the stones is called "oodies bar" they do fantastic steaks, i would definately go to cookie , just take some mozzy repelant and you will be fine :o

Ko Chang is a mossie hotspot but nothing compared to Ko Samet!!

I've been to both K.Chang and K.Samet quite few times each and I'd rate them both equall in mosquito warfare!

They seem to both be inhabited by the same species aswell, those extra large, lumbering mossys that are easy to catch, but when they bite you they leave an extra large lump! :o (Ouch!)

sorry to be rude: IF u have a mozzie problem don't come to thailand anyway! KC is - imho - not different from other southern spots (don't know a lot about the northern territories though). Have been to KC more than 10 times now and changes are fast but not at all that fast i.e. compared to Samui. IF u decide to stay in White Sands....u got all the entertainment u might/might not be looking for. Any other place more south is my recommendation though. Klong Phrao still got resorts with less than 1000 Bht a day and even KaiBee you might be lucky unless u decide to arrive on weekend (Bkk residents tend to go KC on weekends). Whatever your decision might be: don't let Mosquito arguments interfere. A swiss citizen and friend of mine used to do tourist related business on KC (KlongPhrao) now for more than 5 years. IF u wanna hear REAL insider information, do not hesitate to get in touch with him on www.ko-chang.ch **** his internet, motobike and affordable accomodation-rentals are almost unbeatable...

Heres my first post the link is there, its koh-chang.com!

Ahh yes my absolute fave island! I've only managed to get there 4 or 5 times but I love it, very unspoiled and not very touristy, (as in bars and loud music on the beaches).

Most of the time me and my hubby stay at 'Coconut Beach Resort' which very reasonbly priced, has a fab quite beach and does the most amazing seafood BBQ in the evenings!

Weve also stayed at Khlong Prao (spelling) resort which IS pricey but you get all the luxerys, free breakfast, room service, UBC ect, you can even fish in the lake they've made if you get one of the bungalows situated there!

But my fave in Coconut Beach, even though it's not as luxerious, it's the best for quieter/ relaxing/ romantic time!

Heres a web site all about Koh Chang.

Make sure you take snorkelling gear and plenty of mossy spray!

Have a good time :o !

(Ooooh I'm so jealous now!) :D

IamKohChang.com

Good site for info on Koh Chang and sounds like a good place to stay too!

I've been to Koh Chang many times over the past three years, largely because it's near to Pattaya where I live.

(Deep breath)

Koh Chang is a dull, badly developed, overpriced pit of a place and it's going down hill at a rate of knots......

Why? The land for developement was al bought up by bigwig friends oif the PM and now anyone who wants to set up a business there has to pay tghrough the nose for it. All the hotels are overpriced especially when you compare with Phuket and Samui.

Almost all the west coast is now covered with these awful self-contained resorts, which are for the most part badly designed ansd ill finnished. Frequently you can find your room is on a building site.

If you're coming from Europe or the States you'll find theat the cost of living and rooms is cheap but not compared to elsewhere in Thailand. You'll love the sunsets and the white sand, you won't wonder where all the sewage is going and what happened to the mangroves or the fishing industry that gets smaller catches every year, or the fishing villages being turned into a souvenir arcade cum hotel.

The centre of Koh Chang is a national park , but unlike all of Thailand's other National Parks, apart from the odd waterfall, no-one is allowed inside, you can get a guide who will take you in but strictly speaking that's against the law.

There is only one road around KC and it doesn't go all the way round, it's a horse-shoe affair. There is a motorbike track that connects the two ends but it's not for the faint of heart!

KC is the second biggest island in Thailand and walking around it in a day is not an option, KC is also very mountainous and the roads are very windy and hilly and as the resorts are all a long way from any shops etc its essential to hire a motorbike or car. These of course are about 50 to 100 % more than on the mainland. the baht taxxi service is very patchy.

The main town, if you could call it that is WhiteSands a long strip of hotels ,resorts and mottley bars about 3 km long. If you arrive on foot a baht taxi will take you from the ferry to Whitesands and drop you there. You will then have to find somewhere to stay this is impossible on foot and with luggage So book in advance at least for the first night. Then get some wheels.

There is no airport on KC itself, if you go by plane you'll land at Trat airport which is quite near to the ferries to KC. get a taxi to the ferry - only a few baht. There are several ferries across, the crossing takes 45 to 90 min, depending on which ferry you take. On one ferry I paid 30 e/w for me and my car, on another I paid 360 baht for my car an five people return.

Now you may think I hate the place, well I don't, I just get very dissapointed in the direction the powers-that-be have taken KC, it's lack of infrastructure and forward planning will mean that soooner reather than later this place will become a collection of overprice resorts and nothing else.

Where to stay? - Klong Prao Beach is probably as good as it gets, there are about 4 resorts there actually with beach fromntage, The Paradise is all nicely built new bungalows, Coconut and Royal Cocnut are next to that and Klong Prao resort has a long beach front and good pool beside the sea, watch out for the older cabins though. Prices at these places are about 2k to 3k high season.

Remember that it is now high season and what with the tsunami driving many extra visitors over from thee west coast, you may find many places fully booked.

PS - Do NOT stay at the Ramayana or the Boutique resorts!

IamKohChang.com

Good site for info on Koh Chang and sounds like a good place to stay too!

I've been to Koh Chang many times over the past three years, largely because it's near to Pattaya where I live.

(Deep breath)

Koh Chang is a dull, badly developed, overpriced pit of a place and it's going down hill at a rate of knots......

Why? The land for developement was al bought up by bigwig friends oif the PM and now anyone who wants to set up a business there has to pay tghrough the nose for it. All the hotels are overpriced especially when you compare with Phuket and Samui.

Almost all the west coast is now covered with these awful self-contained resorts, which are for the most part badly designed ansd ill finnished. Frequently you can find your room is on a building site.

If you're coming from Europe or the States you'll find theat the cost of living and rooms is cheap but not compared to elsewhere in Thailand.  You'll love the sunsets and the white sand, you won't wonder where all the sewage is going and what happened to the mangroves or the fishing industry that gets smaller catches every year, or the fishing villages being turned into a souvenir arcade cum hotel.

The centre of Koh Chang is a national park , but unlike all of Thailand's other National Parks, apart from the odd waterfall, no-one is allowed inside, you can get a guide who will take you in but strictly speaking that's against the law.

There is only one road around KC and it doesn't go all the way round, it's a horse-shoe affair. There is a motorbike track that connects the two ends but it's not for the faint of heart!

KC is the second biggest island in Thailand and walking around it in a day is not an option, KC is also very mountainous and the roads are very windy and hilly and as the resorts are all a long way from any shops etc its essential to hire a motorbike or car. These of course are about 50 to 100 % more than on the mainland. the baht taxxi service is very patchy.

The main town, if you could call it that is WhiteSands a long strip of hotels ,resorts and mottley bars about 3 km long. If you arrive on foot a baht taxi will take you from the ferry to Whitesands and drop you there. You will then have to find somewhere to stay this is impossible on foot and with luggage So book in advance at least for the first night. Then get some wheels.

There is no airport on KC itself, if you go by plane you'll land at Trat airport which is quite near to the ferries to KC. get a taxi to the ferry - only a few baht. There are several ferries across, the crossing takes 45 to 90 min, depending on which ferry you take. On one ferry I paid 30 e/w for me and my car, on another I paid 360 baht for my car an five people return.

Now you may think I hate the place, well I don't, I just get very dissapointed in the direction the powers-that-be have taken KC, it's lack of infrastructure and forward planning will mean that soooner reather than later this place will become a collection of overprice resorts and nothing else.

Where to stay? - Klong Prao Beach is probably as good as it gets, there are about 4 resorts there actually with beach fromntage, The Paradise is all nicely built new bungalows, Coconut and Royal Cocnut are next to that and Klong Prao resort has a long beach front and good pool beside the sea, watch out for the older cabins though. Prices at these places are about 2k to 3k high season.

Remember that it is now high season and what with the tsunami driving many extra visitors over from thee west coast, you may find many places fully booked.

PS - Do NOT stay at the Ramayana or the Boutique resorts!

Very interesting observation and I have to agree with all except for road, which will be finished soon connecting both east and west sides of the island; I have this on good authority.

As for property there is some available and now getting a bit overpriced even compared to Phuket. Maybe the authorities will eventually see the light. “AND PIGS CAN FLY

My experience there sure rang true with what Wilko posted. I had the pleasure of enjoying an idyllic week at the Bang Pu Koh Chang Hotel a year ago. Driving by motorbike from there to the Bang Bao fishing village induced a bit of depression just on account of you *knew* the rate of change was coming too fast and the money folks were bent on milking the place.

The beach at where Ban Pu Koh Chang is situated is some of the best along that side of the island. And the hotel itself is situate at the best spot there is.

Well Peeps i think i have a general idea about Koh Chang.... And i thank you all for your imput...

Wilko.. in regards to your post... I agree its quite frustrating to see each Island on the Thai coast go down hill... I have been to Koh samet every time i have been to thailand i think and its quite depressing to see that island go down hill... Alot of it had to do with rubbish which was strewn on the beach... Quite sad actually..

I think Thailand could do with a clean up day... They would do wonders for their tourisim if they cleaned up all the rubbish.