Koh Chang

Koh_Falang

Afternoon All

Im planning a trip to Koh Chang however i dont know anything about it. Ive been to a few sites that seem to have a bit of information however i would like more

Whos been?? Where did you stay?? where would you say is the top beaches/spots.. Any tips or precautions or just opinions in general.

Any information would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers :o

Never been myself, but my Sister-in-law visits every other weekend. She has sussed out some resorts for me to stay at. I've opted for Banpu Koh Chang on Whitesands Beach. Looks really nice and she seems to think it's ideal for a tourist.

On the Mossie thread, the KC clinic's website quotes "Malaria chemoprophylaxis is not recommended. No drugs can protect you against malaria infection. More over, side effect of the drugs may cause unnecessary side effect and discomfort. Should any question persist concerning Malaria, consult your physician for more information."

See point 3 on the following link: http://www.kohchanginterclinic.com/healthtips_eng.html

Ko Chang is on the rise though. Some places (such as KC and Sabai) seem to be slowly going from the mellow background music/tables and mats on the beach to louder music and a bit more raunch.

I am not sure what seasons you have been there in Prof., but when I was there there was at least one bar that had 2.5 m high speakers blasting out commercial dance hall and crap hip hop, complete with island boys and would-be-starchildren Euro and Israeli groupie girls. They went at full blast until one o clock.

Personally I am not going back to Koh Chang anymore, since there are better (read: not as expensive, less exploited, less noise-polluted, less trying to be internationally service-minded and mostly failing) islands available.

Still, Thailand is Thailand and if your previous experience is Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, or Hua Hin you might like Koh Chang. The beaches are still beautiful and there are more quiet spots than White Sand Beach further down the island.

(Deep breath)

Koh Chang is a dull, badly developed, overpriced pit of a place and it's going down hill at a rate of knots......

Why? The land for developement was al bought up by bigwig friends oif the PM and now anyone who wants to set up a business there has to pay tghrough the nose for it. All the hotels are overpriced especially when you compare with Phuket and Samui.

[snip]

Now you may think I hate the place, well I don't, I just get very dissapointed in the direction the powers-that-be have taken KC, it's lack of infrastructure and forward planning will mean that soooner reather than later this place will become a collection of overprice resorts and nothing else.

Sadly, I mostly agree with your post. I've now been there about dozen times, first time 5 years ago, and I'm shocked everytime at how overdeveloped it's becoming, and the invasion of big resort hotels. Bang Bao in the south used to be a cute little fishing village with a few seafood restaurants, 1 guest house, and shops selling their local product: squid. Now it's got several a 7-11, lots of ugly places to stay, and 95% of the homes you used to pass waking down the pier are now shops selling diving packages, clothes, baked good, coffee, etc. But not much squid to be found.

Still, though, it's one of my favorite places in Thailand for it's forest cover, nice beaches, and lots of little explored places to go to on motorbike.

I hope that they've actually overbuilt ko Chang and that these big ugly resorts loose lots of money. But I fear that's not going to happen. 10% growth a year in tourist and they've got to go somewhere, and post-tsumami they're more likely to stay away from the anadaman sea, at least for a while.

KC is way, way better than Samet IMO. Motorbike mafia wants to charge 1000B a day to rent a motorbike there, and for 800B all I got was a basic fan room. Not much forest cover, if you like that sort of thing. (I'll concede though that the powder white sand is nice) They charge 200B a head to go to the island, but don't even bother to make passable roads. Where the ###### is that money going? I won't be going back there.

KC beats Phuket and Samui too IMO. I still like the remote spots on Ko Phangan, though there you're really remote.

On KC I stay at Alina Resort (01-863-0543) on White Sand Beach. I got 1200B in January for air-con/fan room w/ TV (local channels + HBO), hot water, fridge. 1000B off season.

If the beach accomodations are packed try some off beach places:

Para Resort 01-6204411 south of white sand beach a bit

Ko Chang River Side Resort 06-7108283 in klong son village, far from beach

And unless you're uncomfortable on a motorbike, rent one and explore the island you'll enjoy your stay a whole lot more.

Ko Chang is on the rise though. Some places (such as KC and Sabai) seem to be slowly going from the mellow background music/tables and mats on the beach to louder music and a bit more raunch.

Personally I am not going back to Koh Chang anymore, since there are better (read: not as expensive, less exploited, less noise-polluted, less trying to be internationally service-minded and mostly failing) islands available.

What do you recommend? I haven't been to the islands south of KC, mostly because the transport is still very expensive.

when we were in malaysia, we were buying coils, you could incinerate which were working all night as moskito repellent. nowadays they are made by bayer of chemical substances, but there are natural ones from coconut. A fire of coconut leaves keeps moskitos away.

Here are some shots of the Ban Pu Koh Chang Resort which might entice you.

Chang1.jpg

Two of the three bungalows which are closest to the beach.

Chang2.jpg

The view from the bugalows looking southerly in the direction of the Bang Bao area.

Chang3.jpg

Looking the other way [still bungalow front], northerly.

Chang4.jpg

And looking back behind the beach to the imposing summits on Koh Chang.

In reality the mountains loom far taller, and look majestic indeed.

Sorry that I have no shots of the pool area, I found it to be very liveable also. The food was also good and their restaurant has a nice family feel to it. As I recall, I booked this oceanfront bungalow for 1500bt. which in hindsight is and was a steal, considering the location and such.

Edited by GoodHeart