Decent Bagel With Lox & Cream Cheese In Ch. Mai?

mp413

Bake & Bite serves far and away the best bagels I have ever had outside of Manhattan (other than the bagels I used to eat in Tokyo, but they were flown in frozen from Manhattan, so were close to the same thing).

[Added in edit]: And they serve them with lox and cream cheese, in two different versions, one as a snack and one as a sandwich. In one of them (and I don't remember which), the lox has been chopped up and mixed in with the cream cheese. In the other, the lox is served as slices separate from the cream cheese.

Edited by Rasseru

Yes, Bake & Bite has great bagels. I don't really remember seeing bagels anywhere else — until recently at the newish bakery counter just after the cashier at Rimping Rhaumchok. I haven't tried them so can't pass judgement. They were 19 Baht, which seems reasonable if they're any good. I was just about to grab one when an ad on the bulletin board caught my attention. I left the store after reading the ad and remembered the bagel only when I read this forum entry.

Hey, I like Bake & Bite for pancakes, omelettes & sandwiches, but in my opinion (born & raised in New Jersey) their bagels are weak. Certainly I'd say they're nothing like NY bagels, & don't even measure up to the decent bagels you can now get all over northeastern US & the west coast. I've yet to find a good bagel in Chiang Mai & don't even try anymore. Every one I've had has been just round bread with a hole. I do think that Rimping has some decent craft breads, but haven't seen bagels there. Might be worth a try but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The Hideaway sells ginormous bagels, taste's not bad, not a touch on Brick Lane in east london though! However I've never had a cream cheese one there. Rimping sells delicious bagels (2 for 27b ) from Pie Sabai, so one could go direct. Yes I also agree Bake and bite are good but for anyone who hasn't tried Pie Sabai ones...... give them a whirl.

Regards Bojo

Hey, I like Bake & Bite . . . but in my opinion (born & raised in New Jersey) their bagels are weak. Certainly I'd say they're nothing like NY bagels, & don't even measure up to the decent bagels you can now get all over northeastern US & the west coast. . . .

To be clear, I did not mean to suggest (but can see how I might have sounded as if I did) that Bake & Bite's bagels were just like or very close to NY bagels. I agree that they are far from NY bagels, but they are still better than any bagels I personally have had outside of New York. You mentioned later in your post how bagels are often nothing more than round bread with a hole. Exactly. That has been my experience in any number of places, including every place I have had a bagel in the United States outside New York (full disclosure: the last time I did so was perhaps fifteen years ago, and things may have changed). But that is not my experience at Bake & Bite. The bagels there at least taste like they were boiled first before being baked, as bagels should be.

Rasseru: It is true most bagels in the US are not boiled as they properly should be, but some of the non-boiled versions are quite good, such as Noah's Bagels, much better than any bagel I have had in Thailand. On the other hand, most large US cities if they have a critical mass of Jews (yes this food was brought to the US by Jews and then Americanized for the masses) will have some places that offer very good boiled bagels. OK, not as good as New York or Montreal, but good.

Bake & Bite serves far and away the best bagels I have ever had outside of Manhattan (other than the bagels I used to eat in Tokyo, but they were flown in frozen from Manhattan, so were close to the same thing).

I have never had a bagel in New York, but I have had a lot in Vermont, Montreal and San Francisco and, to me, Bake and Bite's are just as good as most in the U.S. and Art Cafe's are very close to Bake and Bite's (The owner of Bake and Bite was once the manager of Art Cafe and probably added them to the menu in the first place).

Bake and Bite has more varieties, but I have a choice between the two places in the morning and I am happy with either one and I'm pretty sure that both are boiled.

Bake and Bite's bagels are slightly better, but they also use imported cream cheese. Art Cafe makes their own. :)

All this talk about bagels is making me hungry. How much is a bagel with cream cheese at Bake and Bite? UG, I've heard you rave several times about Bake and Bite, so I think I'll have give it a try for breakfast tomorrow:-)

I would not say that I "rave" about Bake and Bite, but I do think that it is pretty good for Thailand and I do like their breakfasts.

I think that a warm bagel with cream cheese is about 30 baht -chives and garlic are available - and a mixture of smoked salmon and cream cheese is about 100 baht. They have onion, 7 grain, whole wheat and raisin - maybe more.

Right now, they have pancakes with rhubarb and strawberries which is not bad. and a large variety of different kinds of pancakes, waffles and french toast including whole grain. IMHO their American style bacon is the best in CM.

Their Eggs Benedict is nice, although the English muffins are overly sour for some reason.

They have a LOT of other choices inluding, muisli and baked beans on toast and some British breakfast ingredients, so please tell us what you think. :)

I would not say that I "rave" about Bake and Bite, but I do think that it is pretty good for Thailand and I do like their breakfasts.

I think that a warm bagel with cream cheese is about 30 baht -chives and garlic are available - and a mixture of smoked salmon and cream cheese is about 100 baht. They have onion, 7 grain, whole wheat and raisin - maybe more.

Right now, they have pancakes with rhubarb and strawberries which is not bad. and a large variety of different kinds of pancakes, waffles and french toast including whole grain. IMHO their American style bacon is the best in CM.

Their Eggs Benedict is nice, although the English muffins are overly sour for some reason.

They have a LOT of other choices inluding, muisli and baked beans on toast and some British breakfast ingredients, so please tell us what you think. :)

Thanks Ulysses G:-) I just remember when I was looking for a good Turkey Dinner over Thanksgiving and Christmas, you spoke highly of Bake and Bite (but I opted for Dukes and Mad Dog). Crazy I've been in Chiang Mai off and on for 4+ years and haven't tried the place. Guess it's about time to give them a visit. Which location to you recommend (I believe there are 2)?

[Thanks Ulysses G:-) I just remember when I was looking for a good Turkey Dinner over Thanksgiving and Christmas, you spoke highly of Bake and Bite (but I opted for Dukes and Mad Dog). Crazy I've been in Chiang Mai off and on for 4+ years and haven't tried the place. Guess it's about time to give them a visit. Which location to you recommend (I believe there are 2)?

I ate at the Duke's also, but Bake and Bite has the best inexpensive holiday dinner in town that I have been to in CM.

I make sure to eat there or get the dinner delivered every Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I tend to go to more expensive places with friends.

I always eat at the Night Bazaar branch. I am guessing that it has the greatest choice.

No where to be found in this part of the world ....!! Trust me !!!

The best real authentic bagels are made in Montreal , Canada, by the Hasidim Jews in a real wood oven and baked freshly every morning either with seame seeds on them or poppy seeds and people still to this day line up for them at 5.30 am and they are sold out by 9.00 am ...and they are not the fat doughey ones that New york refers to as bagels ....far far far from it ..... those are rubbish compared to the real thing .......have never found the real ones any where in the world and the only close ones I ever ate that came close were in Kashmir .... :D Would love to have the real ones again ....could we import them :):D

My wife runs the Butter is Better Bakery at Rim Ping Mi Chok and she is now making bagels. She uses high quality unbleached high gluten flour & barley malt syrup and boils the bagels. I'm prejudiced, but to me they taste authentic and I'm a New Yorker. The color still isn't quite brown enough, but the taste and texture are definitely there. There's really nothing that difficult about bagel making if you're willing to put in the time to follow the correct procedure and use authentic ingredients. She doesn't always have them in stock but I'll see about getting her to make some more tonight. As for lox and cream cheese, for that, you're on your own.

My wife runs the Butter is Better Bakery at Rim Ping Mi Chok and she is now making bagels. She uses high quality unbleached high gluten flour & barley malt syrup and boils the bagels. I'm prejudiced, but to me they taste authentic and I'm a New Yorker. The color still isn't quite brown enough, but the taste and texture are definitely there. There's really nothing that difficult about bagel making if you're willing to put in the time to follow the correct procedure and use authentic ingredients. She doesn't always have them in stock but I'll see about getting her to make some more tonight. As for lox and cream cheese, for that, you're on your own.

I haven't tried the bagels yet, but my compliments to your good wife for great moist, not too sweet pumpkin cake, and the various breads. I'd love to try more of the offerings, but Mrs T loves to bake too, so my needs are mostly taken care of.

Where is the best place for this? I have a craving, and for once I'm in Ch. Mai and can fill it.

thanks!

mp413

Or what about a Hot Salt Beef sandwich with all the trimmings

The closest thing that I know of is the hot pastrami rueben at the Dukes. :)

Hey, I like Bake & Bite for pancakes, omelettes & sandwiches, but in my opinion (born & raised in New Jersey) their bagels are weak. Certainly I'd say they're nothing like NY bagels, & don't even measure up to the decent bagels you can now get all over northeastern US & the west coast. I've yet to find a good bagel in Chiang Mai & don't even try anymore. Every one I've had has been just round bread with a hole. I do think that Rimping has some decent craft breads, but haven't seen bagels there. Might be worth a try but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I was born and raised in the Jewish East End of London, England. The home of the bagel.

Oh boy, how do I miss my bagels and cream cheese, those big green and black olives, pickled herrings, pickled cucumbers, smoked salmon.

Being as my family is a mixture of Jews and Irish, we used to eat bagels with bacon filling, real Irish soda bread with cream cheese. Those were the days.

I’m with cm das. I’ve seen so called bagels on my travels in Chiang Mai, but they are really only plain rolls shaped like bagels and gave up searching for them here long ago.

How about this for a business idea:

If anyone has the knowledge of how to make the real thing, set up a shop somewhere and make a killing.

I'm with cm das. I've seen so called bagels on my travels in Chiang Mai, but they are really only plain rolls shaped like bagels and gave up searching for them here long ago.

cm das says that they are "weak" compared to New York bagels. You say that they are just bread. There is a big difference there. I can accept that New York has super-bagels as it has super-pizza, but I know what bagels taste like and what kind of texture they have and Bake and Bite makes real bagels-and pretty good ones - not just plain bread. There are bagels in town that are just bread at other places. Have you tried bagels from Bake and Bite? :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm with cm das. I've seen so called bagels on my travels in Chiang Mai, but they are really only plain rolls shaped like bagels and gave up searching for them here long ago.

cm das says that they are "weak" compared to New York bagels. You say that they are just bread. There is a big difference there. I can accept that New York has super-bagels as it has super-pizza, but I know what bagels taste like and what kind of texture they have and Bake and Bite makes real bagels-and pretty good ones - not just plain bread. There are bagels in town that are just bread at other places. Have you tried bagels from Bake and Bite? :)

Bake and Bite is just a few minute walk from where I live but never tried their bagels, sandwiches aren't bad though.

What is a bagel?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Monsierur Hulot,

What is a croissant ?

~o:37;

A croissant is a sunny morning

A croissant is earth, water and fire

A croissant is wind in a wheat field

A croissant is a rainy Sunday afternoon

A croissant is a scent

A croissant is the hand of my mother

A croissant is her smile

A croissant is a moon that shines exclusively for the children

A croissant is solace.

A croissant is chocolate’s best friend

A croissant is warmth

A croissant is my father’s hard earned money

A croissant is a heritage

A croissant is love

Khun Hulot.

« But when from a long-distant past nothing subsists, after the people are dead, after the things are broken and scattered, taste and smell alone, more fragile but more enduring, more unsubstantial, more persistent, more faithful, remain poised a long time, like souls, remembering, waiting, hoping, amid the ruins of all the rest; and bear unflinchingly, in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence, the vast structure of recollection. » Khun Proust.

What is a bagel?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Monsierur Hulot,

What is a croissant ?

~o:37;

A croissant is a sunny morning

A croissant is earth, water and fire

A croissant is wind in a wheat field

A croissant is a rainy Sunday afternoon

A croissant is a scent

A croissant is the hand of my mother

A croissant is her smile

A croissant is a moon that shines exclusively for the children

A croissant is solace.

A croissant is chocolate’s best friend

A croissant is warmth

A croissant is my father’s hard earned money

A croissant is a heritage

A croissant is love

Khun Hulot.

Yeah, well, hmmm, ya know, um, yeah . . . a bagel is kinda like that too! :)

Love your homage to the croissant.