Missing Good Chinese-american Food In Bangkok

new27mail

Western-styled Chinese Food ex Sweet & Sour Pork, Broccoli Beef, Kung Pao Chicken  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(I read that there are now more Szechuan restuarants in the US than Cantonese),
Very few of the so called Szechuan restaurants in the US actually serve authentic Szechuan food. In fact, only rather recently were the Szechuan hot and numbing peppers (also called prickly ash, they are technically not even peppers) even made LEGAL to import into the US, and most so called Szechuan restaurants still don't use them. Also, I do not agree that most Chinese restaurants in the US are even fake Szechuan restaurants, that is not my experience at all, though there are regional differences, I have noticed the fake Szechuan restaurants are very popular in NYC. BTW, I predict that REAL Szechuan food has a good possibility of being one of the major new food trends in the future, along with Peruvian. The key is to import actual Szechuan chefs from China who are willing to cook the real stuff ... This is starting to happen in some cities.

Like this ...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view...0d5453bbfbaf116

Click around those dishes and I think you will find that most of you haven't even tried Szechuan food yet.

Edited by Jingthing

This style of Chinese cooking, or at least something very similar, is already available in Bangkok.

http://www.chefsxp.com/home.php?manufacturers_id=274

My office ordered practically the whole menu once, and the appearance and flavours reminded me of Chinese takeaway in the USA. The place is run by Indian-Thais and they bill the food as British-Chinese.

I followed that link and the food did not remind me of anything at an American-Chinese food place.

Maybe somebody can post some pics of the real thing: Kung Pao Chicken, Hunan Chicken, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Lemon Chicken, Beef and Scallops Hunan Style, Egg Foo Young, Pork w/ Black Bean Sauce, Sweet and Sour Pork/Shrimp, etc.

Most of the common American-Chinese places do not serve Dim Sum.......they are usually dishes with meat and vegetables combined in wonderful sauces.

A lot of the food is "Hunan style" because the people from that province were some of the first to come to the USA (West Coast). Hunan food is famous for its sauces.......spices.

For history buffs, the way I understand it, the migrants tried to get Americans to eat authentic Chinese food but it did not work, so they changed the food to fit American taste.

I didn't say it was exactly the same, just similar. Probably the closest you'll find in Bangkok. As in the case of Tacos & Salsa, JR, I suggest you forget about preconceptions based on the menu wording or photos, and instead try the food. Tastes very much like the American junk you're used to in the USA :) In fact there were four Americans eating at the office meal I mentioned, and all agreed -- tastes just like American Chinese. Personally I think there is much better Chinese food to be had in Bangkok, but if you like everything coated with cornstarch and fried, this is the place :D

LOL... I eat like a glutton when I go to HK, Macau or Singapore because it's easy to find great authentic Chinese food. Of course most of what I choose is Cantonese in origin, though sometimes there's great Shanghainese, Pekingese or Szechuan food to be found.

But I must admit sometimes I actually miss American-Chinese food. Especially good Lemon Chicken. Never was a fan of chop suey, moo goo gai pan, kung pao chicken though...

btw, egg foo young and chop suey are actually Chinese dishes... but considered to be fast food. They just happened to work well in the US. The only really American-made Chinese dish is chow mein - which is terrible stuff. Completely different from the chow mein you'll find anywhere in Asia.

LOL... I eat like a glutton when I go to HK, Macau or Singapore because it's easy to find great authentic Chinese food. Of course most of what I choose is Cantonese in origin, though sometimes there's great Shanghainese, Pekingese or Szechuan food to be found.

But I must admit sometimes I actually miss American-Chinese food. Especially good Lemon Chicken. Never was a fan of chop suey, moo goo gai pan, kung pao chicken though...

btw, egg foo young and chop suey are actually Chinese dishes... but considered to be fast food. They just happened to work well in the US. The only really American-made Chinese dish is chow mein - which is terrible stuff. Completely different from the chow mein you'll find anywhere in Asia.

Did someone say "lemon chicken?"

post-36006-1244518083_thumb.jpg

I can understand Thais not interested in American-Chinese style food.........but you do have many Chinese-Thai living in places like Bangkok.....seems odd that they have not attempted to make money by offering American-Chinese style food.

I am surprised you don't see fast food places like Panda Express here.......maybe some day (but one poster has stated you can get something similar in Bangkok).

I absolutely love American-Chinese style food....would eat it every day if I could and would not care if I ever at Thai food again. The variety of delicious foods......nothing like it in the world.

Here is a menu of a NYC Chinese menu that pretty much includes all of the classically popular American Chinese dishes (plus some more it being New York City). Reading it reminded me that nobody mentioned MU SHU dishes ...

http://www2.seamlessweb.com/AtHome/China-P...ork-City.3488.r

Here is a pic of Cantonese-style Kung Pao Chicken.......what surprises me about it is that it looks like the Kung Pao Chicken I ate in China (in Guangdong Province) and in America.

post-36006-1244423897_thumb.jpg

Jingthing is right......it is the Cantonese style food that most of us like.......along with the Hunan and Szechuan food.

I would love to eat at a good Cantonese-style restaurant in Thailand w/ an American-Chinese influence.

I am not at all faimiliar with American Chinese food.

Having said that, the dish pictured here is available in almost any Chinese restaurant in Thailand - it's called "Kai Pat Met Mamuang" .

There's an interesting restaurant in Silom Soi 15 called "Silom Pattakarn" - a very old place - which serves Chinese food with a strong western influence, try:

Pork Chop

Salad Nea San

Stew Lin Wua (Ox Tongue Stew)

To name but a few.

Patrick

Here is a menu of a NYC Chinese menu that pretty much includes all of the classically popular American Chinese dishes (plus some more it being New York City). Reading it reminded me that nobody mentioned MU SHU dishes ...

http://www2.seamlessweb.com/AtHome/China-P...ork-City.3488.r

Here is a pic of Cantonese-style Kung Pao Chicken.......what surprises me about it is that it looks like the Kung Pao Chicken I ate in China (in Guangdong Province) and in America.

post-36006-1244423897_thumb.jpg

Jingthing is right......it is the Cantonese style food that most of us like.......along with the Hunan and Szechuan food.

I would love to eat at a good Cantonese-style restaurant in Thailand w/ an American-Chinese influence.

I am not at all faimiliar with American Chinese food.

Having said that, the dish pictured here is available in almost any Chinese restaurant in Thailand - it's called "Kai Pat Met Mamuang" .

There's an interesting restaurant in Silom Soi 15 called "Silom Pattakarn" - a very old place - which serves Chinese food with a strong western influence, try:

Pork Chop

Salad Nea San

To name but a few.

Patrick

Yes, I eat Kai Pat Met Mamuang a lot.......it has similar ingredients, but it is not really like Kung Pao Chicken.

It is not so easy for me to describe what Kung Pao Chicken tastes like......but my guess is that is has garlic, chile pepper, vinegar, rice wine, ginger, and soy sauce in it.

The picture I posted does not really show the sauce very well.......normally there is considerable sauce on it so that the dish is not dry.

Kai Pat Met Mamuang is usually dry to the bone but tasty for a Thai dish.

Pork Chop

Salad Nea San

To name but a few.

Patrick

I have been there. It is indeed an interesting old restaurant. However, their food has no relation at all to the American Chinese food people are talking about.

Kai Pat Met Mamuang a lot.......it has similar ingredients, but it is not really like Kung Pao Chicken.

Correct, not the same. Coincidentally I was recently at a Thai restaurant on Jomtien beach that had a picture of a dish with peanuts and chicken and dried red peppers in a red sauce which looked somewhat similar to kung pao chicken sans the vegetables. I ordered it and out came Thai cashew nut chicken (the same old same old).

Edited by Jingthing

i really miss panda express. especially the chow mein, one of a kind. where can i get that here?

Panda Express...............where? what country?

haven't you heard of panda express in the states?

It is the "Taco Bell" of Chinese take out.

Horrible.

Plastic forks and hard cooked rice.

Should be a criminal act ( felony ) to eat there.

post-46099-1244596616_thumb.jpg

i really miss panda express. especially the chow mein, one of a kind. where can i get that here?

Panda Express...............where? what country?

haven't you heard of panda express in the states?

It is the "Taco Bell" of Chinese take out.

Horrible.

Plastic forks and hard cooked rice.

Should be a criminal act ( felony ) to eat there.

Panda Express certainly fits the bill as American Chinese.  I am not sure what the orange chicken is.  It is certainly not Chinese, but I have to admit, I sort of like it.  And the BBQ pork is really not bad.  The rest of the menu?  Well, I would pass on it.

Great topic and you guys just made me hungry and nostalgic for The Hunan Place in San Francisco... Dang I want some of that Hunan Spicy Chicken :)

Yes, some of the best food I've ever had. I can still remember the old ladies sitting on the stools in front of the woks in the Chinatown location and the big, "We Use No MSG," sign in the business district location. Loved it and never found anything better except maybe New York City at One Hung Low.

I think I tried orange chicken in Hawaii once. I don't remember it being particularly bad or good.

I have never eaten Chinese food in Chinatown in SF, but I am sure it is some of the best in the USA.

I am hungry for (American style) Chinese food: Bell Pepper Beef, Sweet and Sour Pork, Mu Shu Pork, Kung Pao Chicken, Lemon Chicken, Beef with Scallops Hunan Style, Shredded Pork/Beef/Chicken Szechuan style, Pork with Black Bean Sauce, Shrimp with Lobster Sauce.........any body getting hungry?

It does seem a bit odd to me that not one entrepreneur has opened a Chinese restaurant that caters to Westerners. I would think it would really be a big hit......I just get tired of Thai food day in and day out. This does seem like one of the few unexploited food niches in Bangkok.

When I go to Chinatown in Bangkok I see the same stuff......lots of Shark Fin soup......other seafood dishes that seem to be more Thai than Chinese. I did find a very small restaurant in Chinatown that serves a fried noodle dish with shrimp and pork in it.......sort of reminded me of a Chinese dishe in China (but I prefer the Americanized versions).

GetGoin that's what I was thinking about in all this thread - the MSG or pong chu rot in Thai. I also love Chinese food but not if it's full of MSG. No you guys know places where you can say 'No MSG please' or 'Mai sai pong chu rot kha' and still get decent food. MSG gives some people terrible headaches, stomach aches, rashes, bad feelings... etc etc etc.......

It does seem a bit odd to me that not one entrepreneur has opened a Chinese restaurant that caters to Westerners. I would think it would really be a big hit......I just get tired of Thai food day in and day out. This does seem like one of the few unexploited food niches in Bangkok.

When I go to Chinatown in Bangkok I see the same stuff......lots of Shark Fin soup......other seafood dishes that seem to be more Thai than Chinese. I did find a very small restaurant in Chinatown that serves a fried noodle dish with shrimp and pork in it.......sort of reminded me of a Chinese dishe in China (but I prefer the Americanized versions).

It doesn't seem that odd to me at all. Just a wild guess, but maybe no one has opened a restaurant like you describe because Americans represent a minority among both visiting and resident Westerners here. Maybe most Westerners living and travelling here have no particular affection for Chinese-American style cuisine.

Sounds like chefsxp might be your best bet. But Chinatown does offer a lot more than sharkfin (chiu chow) restaurants. Look for places with small marbletop tables, where they usually serve Hokkien dishes. Hotel restaurants like the New Empire, White Orchid, China Town, Shanghai Mansion, Shanghai Inn etc, in Yaowarat are usually full of guests from Taiwan, Hong Kong and the PRC, and have a variety of regional Chinese cuisines available.

Edited by wayfarer108

I'm no expert in Chinese-American food, but I lived in New Chinatown of Houston in the 1990's. Maybe 100 restaurants along West Bellaire. $3 luch specials, native illegal Chinese wait staff, and in the kitchen, illegal Mexican cooks. My best friend, native of Shanghai, took me to the back of a supermarket. First he ordered in Mandarin, to the owners who asked "why are you with a white guy?" I ordered in Spanish to the Mexican. :) .

Just a wild guess, but maybe no one has opened a restaurant like you describe because Americans represent a minority among both visiting and resident Westerners here. Maybe most Westerners living and travelling here have no particular affection for Chinese-American style cuisine.

There is a place in Pattaya that advertises "European style Chinese food" with all of the same dishes that have been mentioned here. Last time I was in Pattaya, it was doing a heck of a take-out business, but it really isn't very good. I don't think that only Americans like this style of Chinese food! :)

Just a wild guess, but maybe no one has opened a restaurant like you describe because Americans represent a minority among both visiting and resident Westerners here. Maybe most Westerners living and travelling here have no particular affection for Chinese-American style cuisine.

There is a place in Pattaya that advertises "European style Chinese food" with all of the same dishes that have been mentioned here. Last time I was in Pattaya, it was doing a heck of a take-out business, but it really isn't very good. I don't think that only Americans like this style of Chinese food! :)

The nearest Bkk equivalent would have to be the Golden Dragon takeout mentioned earlier, in that case. I doubt Bkk could support more than one Somehow Pattaya seems more appropriate, as just about every sit-down restaurant in town appears to cater more to farangs than to Thais. :D Not saying there aren't good restaurants in Pattaya. Then again I've never seen any regional Chinese menus there, so perhaps it's the opposite, only 'European style Chinese food" can survive there.

Then again I've never seen any regional Chinese menus there, so perhaps it's the opposite, only 'European style Chinese food" can survive there.

That is completely wrong. There is only one European style Chinese place in Pattaya and it is bad. It is true Pattaya is not a great town for Chinese restaurants, but like I said ONLY ONE that is Euro style.

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...