Mee And My Dad

Mrbiggus

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me a one line destroyed any illusion that this might be something different or new in terms of this type of relationship.

"If you carry on like this, you're fuc_kED!" at the wedding crying scene from husband to wife.

(You could write pages on what this sentence comes loaded with)

I just think, it wouldnt be possible even in the most angry moment, to say something like this if it were not at the back of your mind that this was anything but a sincere relationship.

As for the doc as a whole, the son states his mission is to find out if the relationship is genuine. He ended up concluding based on a completely new proposition- "could I forgive my father for perceived wrongs"? The documentary was a bit all over the place and went from A to 2 instead of A to B. Despite that I found it enjoyable. And we must remember it was a student documentary for UWE.

For me a one line destroyed any illusion that this might be something different or new in terms of this type of relationship.

"If you carry on like this, you're fuc_kED!" at the wedding crying scene from husband to wife.

(You could write pages on what this sentence comes loaded with)

The last farang who i watched on the internet say something like that ended up KO'd by a 15 year old!

"who wants some?"

Bitch slapped! on the blind side and ko'd

I fear for this man if in a drunken rage he turns to slapping his wife especially in a little village...

There maybe trouble ahead.

But lets give them cheer and hope for the best..

Happy man bonking his brains out and happy girl getting money for old rope.

Dek serve my @ass but i'm sure the son didn't want to face his class mates with your dads bonking a hooker.

saving face farang style!

Great documentary.

Mee is straightforward about why she is in the relationship. She doesn’t truly love him but the security is what she is attracted to. So she is not deceiving the old man so I have no problem with her intentions. She knows there is a high likelihood the marriage will not last and she will do whatever she can to improve her family’s life (her kids, parents, etc). You can call her a gold digger, but at least she is telling him the truth of why she is in the relationship.

The old man is in the relationship to distance himself from the pressures of his past family. He probably feels a lot of pressure about why he can’t be a good father to his son. And is running away to the hills of Thailand to get away from it all. It’s unclear if he fully understands Mee’s intention, but he would be somewhat gullible if he does not. He is old enough to know better. He seems to be getting married to try to resolve the issue of being a bad father. Maybe he just has to sit around and Mee will raise her own kids and it will make him feel better that he contributed to someone’s life.

His son is dealing with a few issues. His father is marrying another woman so there is probably some resentment related to his mother. There is also the issue of losing his father even more. And there is the financial issue. It’s not clear if this is an issue, but in most cases, a son does not want to lose an inheritance to some stranger and doesn’t want to see his father disgraced and broke. He is trying to protect his father both emotionally and financially.

But the son must understand one thing. His father has to play out his life the way he needs to. The father must release the demons inside of him. It is expected the marriage will eventually end in divorce. Mee will get what she wanted. And the old man will eventually find out that his son is really the family he was looking for. The son will finally understand how his father thinks when he himself become a father and has a family. The pressures of a family can be intense, and some people just need to get away. Unfortunately some stay away a long time.

Not being judgemental here, just being curious.

Ralph's life is very beyond my ken. I work and live in BKK, rarely go to bars or other nightlife, don't really drink, and I date pretty regularly. I enjoy going to the movies, having access to Villa Market, going to the gym and such, things not available in small villages.

While Ralph seems to be within driving distance to Chiang Mai, he lives in what looks to be a small village, and he has an extended family in his house.

For those of you who live in simliar circumstances, do you like it? Are you there only because your wife/gf is there? Would you choose living in a small village as the only or one of the only foreigners there if you weren't married to a local woman?

Believe me, this is no flame or criticsm. After watching this, I just wonder about the lifestyle. I don't think I could handle it myself.

Some people like it. I am thinking about moving up to the mountain village since I am getting tired of the hot weather here in chiang mai. I am from the mountains in the USA and grew up having to drive into town if i wanted to go to the movies or whatever. i have never really liked living in the city or having neighbors too close to me. When i moved here i had the illusion of being alone in the trees but more and more people are moving in around here. I can here cars traveling down the road when i am trying to sleep and i do not much care for it. I sleep much better during my weekends in the mountains.

Well if that is Mee and her jerk,drunken idjut - big thumbs up to her and him.

Website looks nice and i'm tempted to book for some quiet time.

Will Mee "greet me" does anyone know :)

I loved the bit where she was descibing what she did in the entertainment place where there were ladyboy shows etc. So obvious that she was lying.

Poor farming girl turns to selling herself - some drunken old git falls for it and marrys her :D and gives his money.

Soon he'll be told where to go - same old story I've heard a million times.

The Galae food center is in Chiang Mai at the Night Bazaar. I get the impression that they may have made this story up because she was talking like she was serving food and the old man pops up with "it was a bar". He should have kept his mouth shut. Unless it has changed since i was there a few years ago the Galae Food Center is not a bar. At least it wasn't before they did the remodle. I have not been there since. It was a bunch of food stands that you buy you food at like the food courts in the shopping malls with tables you go sit at to eat. There was a stage that put on thai dancing shows with real girls and a boxing ring with fake Muay Thai fights. I don't remember there being katoey shows but they could easily have been added. I would guess the katoeys and Muay Thai they showed in the doc were filmed at the Galae.

Maybe it is different now and is more like a bar. I will have to get down there sometime and check it out.

edit to add

After watching more of the film i guess it does look more like a bar than it did. if she was a server at the Galae food Center then she isn't the hard core bg that some posters have suggested. Someone clue me in. Does the Galae now have girls that come and sit with you like the Loih Kroh road bars have ?

Edited by wolfmanjack

it seemed clear to me that the father does not want to admit his age, (refuses to call his son a son but rather his mate), never mentions his own age or mortality, when talking about the prospect of having another child does not mention the fact that he will likely be dead before the child's 18th birthday when talking about his responsibilities to care for the child.

now some might say that this is called living for the moment or whatever, so to each their own.... it seems to me though that this is a common psychological condition amongst these type of guys who seek these marriages to try to prove to themselves or continue living in the illusion that they are still young.

my impression is that he is very insecure and very scared of growing old, not that there is anything wrong with that.

anyways, looks like there is not much to do up there but drink. he clearly has a bad temper. wife openly admits she is only interested in his money. so i am guessing it ends well.

Great documentary.

Mee is straightforward about why she is in the relationship. She doesn't truly love him but the security is what she is attracted to. So she is not deceiving the old man so I have no problem with her intentions. She knows there is a high likelihood the marriage will not last and she will do whatever she can to improve her family's life (her kids, parents, etc). You can call her a gold digger, but at least she is telling him the truth of why she is in the relationship.

The old man is in the relationship to distance himself from the pressures of his past family. He probably feels a lot of pressure about why he can't be a good father to his son. And is running away to the hills of Thailand to get away from it all. It's unclear if he fully understands Mee's intention, but he would be somewhat gullible if he does not. He is old enough to know better. He seems to be getting married to try to resolve the issue of being a bad father. Maybe he just has to sit around and Mee will raise her own kids and it will make him feel better that he contributed to someone's life.

His son is dealing with a few issues. His father is marrying another woman so there is probably some resentment related to his mother. There is also the issue of losing his father even more. And there is the financial issue. It's not clear if this is an issue, but in most cases, a son does not want to lose an inheritance to some stranger and doesn't want to see his father disgraced and broke. He is trying to protect his father both emotionally and financially.

But the son must understand one thing. His father has to play out his life the way he needs to. The father must release the demons inside of him. It is expected the marriage will eventually end in divorce. Mee will get what she wanted. And the old man will eventually find out that his son is really the family he was looking for. The son will finally understand how his father thinks when he himself become a father and has a family. The pressures of a family can be intense, and some people just need to get away. Unfortunately some stay away a long time.

Great documentary.

Best of luck to all of them. They all seem like good people, sure the dad has issues but he would not tell you any different. The wife was forward and honest and she is doing well for her family. Perhaps by making the documentary he was able to answer some questions and come to peace with his old man.

Which i don't disagree with however it's a complete different set of values that we are raised on in the West & completely different to what the Vows of a Wife are meant to be in Western Cultures..

" Will you love, honour, and cherish her, in good times and in bad, and do you promise to stay true to her as long as you both shall live? "

The above does NOT apply to Mee as she quite clearly stated that if there wasn't any money from the beginning, then Mee doesn't really think they'd be together..

He " came different to other Customer " would also be a it of a concern for me if my New " Wife " said that, along with within minutes of getting Married, she says that's ok for me to go back to my own Country..

But everyone's differen i suppose.. :)

Great documentary.

Best of luck to all of them. They all seem like good people, sure the dad has issues but he would not tell you any different. The wife was forward and honest and she is doing well for her family. Perhaps by making the documentary he was able to answer some questions and come to peace with his old man.

Which i don't disagree with however it's a complete different set of values that we are raised on in the West & completely different to what the Vows of a Wife are meant to be in Western Cultures..

" Will you love, honour, and cherish her, in good times and in bad, and do you promise to stay true to her as long as you both shall live? "

The above does NOT apply to Mee as she quite clearly stated that if there wasn't any money from the beginning, then Mee doesn't really think they'd be together..

He " came different to other Customer " would also be a it of a concern for me if my New " Wife " said that, along with within minutes of getting Married, she says that's ok for me to go back to my own Country..

But everyone's differen i suppose.. :)

Doesnt have anything to do with this.

Let's say you're an average woman with a very manly voice like mee. You meet george clooney's twin brother. He's dead broke. 6k us a year. Would you marry him even if hes as charming as the real one and good looking?

hel_l no.

What if clooney was the same but he only made 35k a year.. hel_l yes.

Being in love and broke is way more retarded than being in semi-love and living confortably.

Or alone.

Edited by greenwood01

Was that you in the video sanook?

it well maybe in 30 years time.....

i came to Thailand when i was in my twenties and i,m still in my thirties now..got a few years to go yet you taleung ling:P

Great documentary.

But everyone's differen i suppose.. :D

Doesnt have anything to do with this.

Let's say you're an average woman with a very manly voice like mee. You meet george clooney's twin brother. He's dead broke. 6k us a year. Would you marry him even if hes as charming as the real one and good looking?

hel_l no.

What if clooney was the same but he only made 35k a year.. hel_l yes.

Being in love and broke is way more retarded than being in semi-love and living confortably.

Or alone.

As i said, everyone's different.. :)

Yes very good documentry. but I think he would have had a lot less stress with a girl closer to his own age. it's like shes married to her grandfarther.

On the airplane from Bangkok last night there was a guy who said he was 68, married to a 29 year old woman - they looked ridiculous and what on earth could they have in common? :)

I have a theory that when men get to 60 years old, some of them get a condition that makes them act like a teenager - they then come to Thailand and make a total <deleted> of themselves.

Edited by Neeranam

Yes very good documentry. but I think he would have had a lot less stress with a girl closer to his own age. it's like shes married to her grandfarther.

On the airplane from Bangkok last night there was a guy who said he was 68, married to a 29 year old woman - they looked ridiculous and what on earth could they have in common? :)

I have a theory that when men get to 60 years old, some of them get a condition that makes them act like a teenager - they then come to Thailand and make a total <deleted> of themselves.

Last time my mrs collected me from the airport she got chatting to another Thai girl who was 29 and was waiting for her English 58 year old English b/f to come through customs.

My mrs told me she asked her "are you embarrassed to walk around with him?"

Girls answered " yes, but what can i do he gives me financial security like no Thai man i can meet" (mrs assumed she was a b/g)

so there it is folks.

Old man gets loveable young chick to bonk and loveable young chick gets financial security. everybody is happy.

Its the opposite way here for me. my Thai Misses is older and pays for me :D

• Like 1

I'm just watching this now.

I don't think it really matters if your an oldie. Making the most of the end of your life. But it's the young blokes who can really screw up here.

Real life changing experience.

The young fella there is a great bloke. Good on him.

Who cares what it looks like? If the couple is happy with the arrangement then no harm, no foul. It's nobody else's business but their own. How much does ANY couple have in common... anywhere? Over 50% of all western marriages end in divorce. Of the remaining 50% a lot of them are NOT happy and are only toughing it out for strictly social or financial reasons. That leaves only a small percentage still happily in love.

I don't know any man of ANY age who would choose an older, homelier woman over a young and beautiful woman if there is an option. What it comes down to is sex, and most men are more attracted to younger, prettier women. I hate to be blunt, but men are fairly shallow and that is just how it is.

Most Thai women get married at a relatively young age, or at least they start having kids then. If they are not married when they reach 30 they start feeling "over the hill" so to speak, and a few of them start feeling desperate for a mate. I know, I've talked to a lot of them. In the western world a woman is just reaching her peak at the age of 30. Many western women are financially independent and don't feel the need to have someone to look after them. They act more like single men.

I agree Neeranam when men get older they start to retard in years. The older you get the younger you get and thats why when people go senile they revert back to their youth and start remembering their childhood rather than the present time. lets make the most of it while we can and I don't begrudge anyone enjoying their old age.

Cheers, Rick

• 2 years later...

Update

I know this girl, I know several of her friends..

The couple in the video have seperated now,.

She has a new boyfriend.

Do you know what happened to the old guy? Did the lady get another Farang? Did she get the house?