Less Perks For Thailand Elite Card Holders

Thaising

Why does everyone thinks (at least th one who post here) think that buyng into the program has/had something to do with the name

When one enters a membership it has to be paid upfront

Look at some health club (although I am not comparing TEC to theses places) selling life memberships.....what does it mean? How long will these businessess stay around ( not talk about the life expectancy of these members) It can cost hundrded of thousands

Please do understand that people buy a product they believe in - at least at the time they do so - and not for the brand name but for the quality (even if it turns out it could have been a rotten deal)

Well You are (wrongly) reading people's thoughts: all the clubs I have been affiliated to all asked for money upfront (small or big fee but sill a fee)

I have never paid attention to the name of the card: I have always heard about "the program allowing one to get a 5 year renewable tourist visa"

Who are the people who have bought the card? they are certainly not wealthy (as they already get VIP service), not businessmen as they would not need this kind of visa, and certainly not businessmen (who on earth would strike such a lousy deal)

It might come to a shock to you, but I am sure that most of the people have bought the program, not for the name it bears, but for the advantages. I am also convinced that some of them even borrowed at the time.

You are confused. There are the members for whom the card was tailored (they haven't bought it) and the members who actually "bought" it, you should ask them their reasons instead of judging them

Unless this was planned from the beginning: we know that the Elite will never give in, so let's sell the package to idiots who will not be able to defend themselves when they are thrown out

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe 3 different threads should be created

1) Who is happy about the outcome (I had told you, you asked for it and other ...)

2) Who is unhappy about the way it turns out (apart from the members)

3) Actual members: this way they could get to know each other and tell the reasons why they were attracted to it

What exactly is this card

WHAT that card really existed? Thought it was once joke with that 5 Million 5 year visa elite card! :)

I mean , come on be real if you want trouble free visas and stay in thailand for 5 years there are other and cheaper ways.

Even legal ones.

And buy land in own name? You as a farang never own ANY land in thailand even it´s on your name.

There are many ways to rent 50+50 years, why buy.

Chock dee!

-Keenjau-

Of course this hadn't involved expenditure of 1 million baht but I regard it as just

symbolic of the mindset here regarding honouring obligations to do anything

after making an advance payment.

The classic example is buying a condo off the plan.

Of course this hadn't involved expenditure of 1 million baht but I regard it as just

Yes indeed and the government could easily help buyers overcome that problem

if they really wanted to by enforcing every developer to adopt the Escrow Act.

Edited by midas

Didn't that development in Pattaya in the Property Section that went tits up adopt the Escrow Act?

Didn't that development in Pattaya in the Property Section that went tits up adopt the Escrow Act?

"TPC has also learned many cardholders are now living in Thailand, which is against the membership criteria and pushes up the operating costs."

What a bunch of BS. They specifically marketed to card to foreigners living in Thailand. They should be sued by the members.

:)

"TPC has also learned many cardholders are now living in Thailand, which is against the membership criteria and pushes up the operating costs."

What a bunch of BS. They specifically marketed to card to foreigners living in Thailand. They should be sued by the members. :)

Yes it's BS, pretty much similar BS as the Thai gov't top authority who said Thai women who are married to farang - might get in trouble if the lady's name in on a chanod (land title deed). And similar BS to the head of the gov't retirement fund getting caught losing money for the fund, and at the same time, lining his pockets with insider trading - then his lawyer saying he can't be liable for any wrongdoing because he quit his job, and he's not subject to the labour laws that his underlings are subject to.

It's no big surprise that so many top bananas in Thai gov't can't think well. Besides all being whiskey guzzlers, they're all products of the Thai school system which, even apologists agree is a problematic school system. It's a system where it's almost impossible to flunk a class - even if you don't attend. It's an educational system where alternative thinking is dissuaded, where plagiarism is accepted, where cheating on exams is accepted. Promotions within Thai gov't is predicated on charm and how well a person can bribe higher ups. Skills and analytic thinking abilities mean nothing. With a system like that, it should come as no surprise that many folks in top gov't positions are either thugs or dummies.

What a bunch of BS. They specifically marketed to card to foreigners living in Thailand. They should be sued by the members.

I am surprised it took 7 pages for someone to point out the only reasonable course of action: Mass Litigation and Media Publicity.

Certainly the Elite group members can manage to pool their resources together for a lawsuit.

But I wouldnt be surprised if the members just sighed, diverted their eyes to the ground and snuck out like scared dogs with their tails between their legs. Just like when their 'wives' rip them of for millions of baht in sin sod or for a house etc.

What is it that attract spineless idiots to Thailand? Grow some balls and stop taking abuse from everyone!

Yes its harsh, but hopefully you will realise that no one respects a pushover and you have to fight once in a while.

I am surprised it took 7 pages for someone to point out the only reasonable course of action: Mass Litigation and Media Publicity.

Certainly the Elite group members can manage to pool their resources together for a lawsuit.

But I wouldnt be surprised if the members just sighed, diverted their eyes to the ground and snuck out like scared dogs with their tails between their legs. Just like when their 'wives' rip them of for millions of baht in sin sod or for a house etc.

What is it that attract spineless idiots to Thailand? Grow some balls and stop taking abuse from everyone!

Yes its harsh, but hopefully you will realise that no one respects a pushover and you have to fight once in a while.

As always – with the Thai Elite Card there are more people out of the know prepared to knock it than there are members who care enough to respond to the speculative and narrow minded barstool comments.

Class action Law Suit – Not yet.

The Company is under Audit hence the accounts have been frozen. Some of the vendors (golf courses and spa’s) have refused to provide services while payment is not immediate, some continue the service regardless.

The 7 Series BMW service has been dropped and replaced with a Camry – I received a letter explaining that this was due to reducing costs. Understandable, and apart from the principle I don’t care, I care about the golf and visa (I don’t work here, I am decades away from retirement age, not yet married, I travel too frequently to really require the visa, but some months I stay here longer than a month, the visa is good convenience to have).

Beyond speculation that the program is failing, there is not much meat to this thread so far. To some, Central Dept store is about to collapse and to others the TAT is deliberately targeting and ripping off westerners… mostly speculation and ill-informed bumf.

So, apart from the Camry’s and the non-participation of some of the vendors as a result of the Audit process nothing else has been confirmed. The only question that remains is ‘why are they under audit?’ this alone has created a founded uncertainty which as of yet no one has asked… Why? And its because none of the Thai Visa experts knew about the Audit, did they?

If the time comes a Class Action Law suit will be filed with whomever wishes be included. However in the event of collapse I still believe it more likely that some form of compensation will be offered so that we receive our outlay minus any services we have used. Besides, some TE members are resourceful enough to sue a government. Not me though, I am merely humble enough to mix with the TV cyber folk who are daft enough to bring into the mêlée his opinions on sin-sod (sorry, cheap shot, couldn’t resist).

One Final Point in response to the Original Article on the first page if this Thread: Part of the promotional package of the Thai Elite card was that at one time per year a Thai Elite member would assist us to expedite any bureaucratic processes such as work permit applications.

The Thai Elite Card was clearly advertised to non-Thai nationals living and working here as much as it was frequent visitors. Any statement otherwise is false.

Look at the bright side.

Less perks is better than no perks at all.

Quite true - I've paid for 1 round of golf in 2 years (and used approximately B250,000 worth of privileges (Golf, Massage and Airport transfers).

I do hope the program continues. 1MB is excellent value in my opinion. IF IT LASTS !

Once the audit is complete we will have a far clearer picture of what to expect.

Look at the bright side.

Quite true - I've paid for 1 round of golf in 2 years (and used approximately B250,000 worth of privileges (Golf, Massage and Airport transfers).

I do hope the program continues. 1MB is excellent value in my opinion. IF IT LASTS !

Once the audit is complete we will have a far clearer picture of what to expect.

I've paid for zero rounds of golf in the past 2 years - or the past 20 years for that matter.

I climb cliffs. It's free and will remain free, regardless of what sort of schemes ex-PM Thaksin thinks up to enrich himself and his buddies.

Look at the bright side.

I've paid for zero rounds of golf in the past 2 years - or the past 20 years for that matter.

I climb cliffs. It's free and will remain free, regardless of what sort of schemes ex-PM Thaksin thinks up to enrich himself and his buddies.

I fail to see how this is relevant to this thread.

Climbing is Great fun, I’m jealous if you live in the Krabi area by the way, I love sailing and windsurfing too… But, Where can I do any of this within 30mins of central Bangkok ?

I wakeboard a lot and there is a place within 30 mins from central Bangkok. I wish they had that on Thai Elite also, but unfortunately I have to pay each time. So, if you like golf, TE is still good, no?… Otherwise for free it’s a jog around Lumpini Park and I'm scared of the 'Hia' !!!

If the time comes a Class Action Law suit will be filed with whomever wishes be included.

Not me though

I think it would be better to be ready to act than starting to enquire about how to go about it when it is too late

I still think that some of the members (obviously not you) should get in touch with each other if something is considered abusive

Noone knows what tomorrow is made of, but when when its cloudy out there, plan ahead and bring an umbrella along.

If the time comes a Class Action Law suit will be filed with whomever wishes be included.

Not me though (I was referring with regards to the extent of my resources)

I think it would be better to be ready to act than starting to enquire about how to go about it when it is too late

I still think that some of the members (obviously not you) should get in touch with each other if something is considered abusive

Noone knows what tomorrow is made of, but when when its cloudy out there, plan ahead and bring an umbrella along.

Please don't quote me out of context. There is enough misleading information on this subject without adding to my comments as if you are quoting me directly.

If it ever got to the point of being necessary a Class Action Law suit will be filed with whomever wishes to be included. (I will be part of that group when I deem it necessary).

Any such action might be completely unnecessary. The last flare-up regarding Thai Elite was the erroneous reporting that the government were shutting down the program when in fact they were evaluating the programs business ethics and ensuring protection for the members in the way of compensation if the program was to fail. That topic went quiet due to lack of information otherwise.

What is happening now is a result of the ongoing audit. The outcome as yet unknown will take a couple of months. I may well be wrong, but preparing for a class action law suit at this stage may be letting the foot off the clutch a little early....

Edited by richard_smith237

Please don't quote me out of context. There is enough misleading information on this subject without adding to my comments as if you are quoting me directly.

If it ever got to the point of being necessary a Class Action Law suit will be filed with whomever wishes to be included. (I will be part of that group when I deem it necessary).

Any such action might be completely unnecessary. The last flare-up regarding Thai Elite was the erroneous reporting that the government were shutting down the program when in fact they were evaluating the programs business ethics and ensuring protection for the members in the way of compensation if the program was to fail. That topic went quiet due to lack of information otherwise.

What is happening now is a result of the ongoing audit. The outcome as yet unknown will take a couple of months. I may well be wrong, but preparing for a class action law suit at this stage may be letting the foot off the clutch a little early....

Well I do apologize for misunderstanding but your comment was a bit misleading. In any case, footing the bill for such an action would be quite expensive , that if one thinks on an individual basis.

Who is talking about preparing for a lawsuit: as you said it is going to take a couple of months before one gets any news. Well in the meanwhile get to know, meet, or at least be able to get in touch with your fellow members.

If nothing drastic happens to the members, then, who knows, you might get new friends; but if something needs to be done...then you will not start from scratch

lol Just keep kidding yourself.

Can you/anybody give me an example of one successful class action law suit by a farang ? (not being funny, genuinely curious)

lol Just keep kidding yourself.

Can you/anybody give me an example of one successful class action law suit by a farang ? (not being funny, genuinely curious)

Oh come on ! nothing has been anywhere near as newsworthy as this subject :)

The symbolism is astonishing........a government backed scheme ripping people off.........?

If this was combined with the threat of some good international publicity i just couldnt

see the government being willing to go all the way..............it could be devastating for their

already badly bruised reputation.

Edited by midas

• 1 month later...

An Elite Card holder writes today to the Bangkok Post's Letters to the Editor pages, POST BAG

SERVICES NOT RENDERED

Following on from the comments made by a disgruntled member of Thailand Elite _ the programme started in 2003 by Thaksin Shinawatra to attract wealthy tourists and businesspeople by giving them some special benefits and considerations, for a hefty fee _ I feel light needs to be shed on this matter for Bangkok Post readers.

Members of Thailand Elite such as myself don't consider themselves to be ''elite'' and don't particularly favour this label. We do however enjoy Thailand and its culture very much, and were willing to sign up to a programme that assured us of lifetime membership, with golf and spas at select establishments throughout the country in addition to a limousine service and visa, etc. The programme has gone somewhat off the rails recently since the management squandered the money that was paid into it and has after only two years cut back the services to the point of worthlessness now.

Nearly all the members are in agreement that they have gotten back less than 10% of the money that they invested into the government-sponsored programme, and now we're left with very poor service and little to no

Not so Elitist

Letter continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...54/services-not

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-19

"this is insulting to even the meanest of intellects, and a sad indictment to the racist xenophobia of many in Thai officialdom."

I disagree. The official that made that remark spoke off the cuff, and wildly misstated the worth of the visa. Neither racist, not xenophobic - it's simply wrong.

From an elegant BMW 7-series to a mere Camry. Next, a Diahatsu Mira Mimt, then a tuk-tuk.

Eventually ending up with the Elite organisers giving you a pocketful of 10 baht coins for the songtaew.