Travel Warning

faber

Travelers beware!

Another complaint about the police checkpoint at Cha-am on Phet Kasem Highway 4 when passing through Phetchaburi province. Police have been stopping south bound traffic and conducting dubious urine tests for drugs. They have not allowed the persons being checked to watch the test process and have subsequently claimed that there were positive test results when clearly this was not possible. Payments of 10 or 20 thousand baht were then demanded to stop any charges being filed or arrests being made. Threats of incarceration for 6 month periods and a long court process were made to ensure payment. No phone calls were allowed and No identification was shown, Uniform name plates were covered by the reflective vests worn. What agency has the authority to protect the people of Thailand from the National Police force, how is it possible for the Thai police to prey upon their own people in this manner.

Travelers beware!

Another complaint about the police checkpoint at Cha-am on Phet Kasem Highway 4 when passing through Phetchaburi province. Police have been stopping south bound traffic and conducting dubious urine tests for drugs. They have not allowed the persons being checked to watch the test process and have subsequently claimed that there were positive test results when clearly this was not possible. Payments of 10 or 20 thousand baht were then demanded to stop any charges being filed or arrests being made. Threats of incarceration for 6 month periods and a long court process were made to ensure payment. No phone calls were allowed and No identification was shown, Uniform name plates were covered by the reflective vests worn. What agency has the authority to protect the people of Thailand from the National Police force, how is it possible for the Thai police to prey upon their own people in this manner.

Thais? Farangs? Both? Source?

Another complaint to who???where is this info from. This checkpoint has been there at least 2 years and have never heard of this.....

no problems even on big bike with no number plate - more interested in shining their torches into cars and pick ups etc - looks like illegal immigrants search to me - there are alot of vans, pick ups etc going south with factory workers inside

Why do these alarmist posts always seem to be the first posts from new members?

I was worried about this post as the checpoint is a few minutes from my house and I actually sent the OP a PM....he hasnt bothered to reply...as you can see his first post and a duplicate is on Thailand Forum also......think it is nonsense....best to ignore idiots like him

I agree that his post doesn't seem credible when he won't answer.

But it does point out a "potentially" severe issue. I thought about it a bit and decided if ever asked to give a roadside urine sample .. or be subjected to a personal "hands in pockets" style search, I would ask to be taken to a police station to have it done.