Thailand Expects To Import New Tata Cars From India Soon

sriracha john

Thailand to import the Tata Nano from India

MUMBAI, June 4 (TNA) -- Visiting Thai Industry Minister Charnchai Chairungrueng said here on Thursday that Thailand is expected to import the price-competitive 650 cc Tata Nano brand manufactured by India’s Tata Motors soon.

Accompanied by Atchaka Brimble, Secretary-General of the Thai Board of Investment (BoI), and several leading Thai businessmen, Mr. Charnchai, who is leading a roadshow to Mumbai, said he had also invited Tata Motors to establish a manufacturing plant to build the Nano in Thailand.

Tata Nano will be launched commercially next month and is priced between Bt80,000-150,000. If it could be produced in Thailand it could allow low-income earners in Thailand to buy it, said Mr. Charnchai.

Ajit Venkatraman, CEO of Tata Motors (Thailand) Ltd., said he is confident that the Tata Nano would receive a warm reception in Thailand.

The car has a maximum speed of 85 kilometres per hours, consumes one litre of gasoline every 22 kilometres,and plans are to develop the car to Euro 4 and Euro 5 standards in future.

On a plan by Tata Motors to manufacture eco cars in Thailand, Mr. Venkatraman said the company needs to review the plan again due to the current global economic meltdown as its sales in India have already declined 60 per cent, causing a liquidity crunch for the company.

He urged the Thai government to find low-interest loans for the company as the eco car project requires an investment of more than Bt7 billion.

Mr. Venkatraman added he is also uncertain whether production requirements at 100,000 units annually would be too much, as the auto market has turned sluggish.

During talks with Mr. Charnchai, senior executives from Tata Motors also requested the Thai government lower the horsepower of one-tonne trucks required by the Thai government to 2,200 cc from 2,500 cc. The company does not produce the 2,500 cc trucks and, is therefore unable to join in bidding to supply smaller vehicles.

Mr. Charnchai said on his return to Thailand he would confer with the Thai Budget Bureau, Finance Ministry and economic ministers regarding the Tata Motors request.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-06-04

Saw one of these on display in a mall in Bangalore. Seats 4 in an amazingly roomy cabin, does over 20km per Litre :D Makes a noise like a sick outboard :)

Unfortunately being made of tinfoil it also likely kills 4 in anything other than a minor shunt :D I certainly wouldn't like to be in one if it got hit by anything other than a motocy, and at 85kph it's going to be rear-ended a lot :D

EDIT Besides, they're not making enough to satisfy demand in India (there's a Lotto to be able to order one) so getting them in Thailand is going to be a while.

Obviously it is not very safe, but surely safer than a motorcycle, yes?

Yes, JT, even though these trash cans on 4 wheels are <deleted>, they do offer more protection when hitting a motorcyle.

Wonder how many hi-so Thai Indians will line up to show off theirs?

India also produces and exports electric cars. Maybe they should be importing some of those rather than putting more petrol engines on Bangkok's streets.

Agreed ^^^

The REVA, I see these things buzzing all over Bangalore, they seem to keep with the (slow) traffic flow just fine, an excellent solution for the in city traveler.

http://www.revaindia.com/

Much better deal than the motorcycle,and you keep dry too.

Not good for the snooty snobby ones though.Great for people on a low budget,yes there are some living thru out the world with smallish income.The car is not for me but i would love to see more of these on the roads and less m/bikes,especialy for the crazy farangs.

EDIT Besides, they're not making enough to satisfy demand in India (there's a Lotto to be able to order one) so getting them in Thailand is going to be a while.

They're not going to import the actual cars, but rather the brand. They want Tata to set up a factory to manufacture the cars in Thailand.

Import taxes on cars are too high, this car would be expensive if imported to Thailand. Only the rich import cars, and aside from a few Thai Indians no one would want this that could afford the taxes.

Saw one of these on display in a mall in Bangalore. Seats 4 in an amazingly roomy cabin, does over 20km per Litre :D Makes a noise like a sick outboard :)

Unfortunately being made of tinfoil it also likely kills 4 in anything other than a minor shunt :D I certainly wouldn't like to be in one if it got hit by anything other than a motocy, and at 85kph it's going to be rear-ended a lot :D

If you are afraid of being smashed, try Chinese Hummer. It will be in the showroom near you soon.

I should mention that something related to this article was in the wednesday's bangkok post. It had more inregard though about the fact that practically all car prices are out of reach for most thai's. A basic cheap car was more than 350,000 and if you consider most wages are under 20,000, if you factor in

estimated car payment over 60 months ( 5 years ) is 5833 per month

then factor in gas

I know most people won't be happy about this but thai's should at least be able to get a car they can actually afford. If tata can bring something in the market and its affordable, but in my opinion it should be safe though. Let them try. A majority of thai's I know for 5,833 thats more than there house payment every month.

1. I know that in most regards the roads would be possibly more dangerous

2. I believe a higher number of accidents would occur due to lack of driver training

People should have the chance for an opportunity though why should car prices only be for the few who can afford them.

As well traffic will flow much better for cars since they won't be able to clog up automobile traffic riding their motorcy's between cars to the front of the queue so that no cars can get through the light when it changes.. :)

As well traffic will flow much better for cars since they won't be able to clog up automobile traffic riding their motorcy's between cars to the front of the queue so that no cars can get through the light when it changes.. :)

I wanted to add this but couldn't edit, I would gladly consider one for short outings at that price. Would be really handy around town.

Ive seen the crash test, only the front and the side.

The front test was good, takes impact well, the sides arent that good like most cars but did ok.

I havent seen the back yet though.

Just because its cheap, doesnt mean its not safe (I know it does in most cases)

But it sounds like crap, goes like crap and those tiny wheels on them look funny. I wouldnt get one

I just worry that people are going to switch to them from scooters then drive them with a similar lack of care and attention to how bikes are often ridden.

Thats guaranteed to happen :) , you seriously didnt expect otherwise, did you?

I'd like to buy one & modifiy it with a V8 engine & give a couple of the Fortuna owners from this thread a run or two :) ....bloody tossers!

Fortuners are slow as and handle like a cement block on logs. Easy pickin's.

You would be able to surprise Porsche and M-Power Beemer owners with a V8 Tata!

^ yes, it would certainly require some fancy welding here and there.

I think the nano is a great thing for poor people, gets them out of the rain. The problem of over crowding the roads etc is also very valid.

The roads are already over-crowded and too many cars are appearing on the roads each year for the infrastructure to cope.

On a motor related note, Daimler are closing their Thai factory that builds the Mitsubishi engines. First of many I would imagine.

The roads are already over-crowded and too many cars are appearing on the roads each year for the infrastructure to cope.

On a motor related note, Daimler are closing their Thai factory that builds the Mitsubishi engines. First of many I would imagine.

Yes, it seems it won't be long until we are all driving Toyotas or Nanos.....they may be the only to manufacturers left at the end of this. I prefer bikes anyway. :)