Actor David Carradine Dead in Bangkok

medegen

American actor David Carradine has been found dead in a closet in a hotel room in Bangkok.

Carradine: Golden Globe winner

Police have not confirmed whether he took his own life or was murdered.

The naked body of the 72-year-old actor was found by a housekeeper in a closet in room number 352 of Swissotel Nai Lert Park Hotel in the Lumpini area at 11am yesterday.

Lumpini police said the body of Carradine was found curled up inside the wardrobe with one end of a shoelace tied around his penis and the other end fastened around his neck.

Both of his hands were bound with a cord which was also tied around his neck, said an officer at the station who requested anonymity.

Forensic experts said Carradine had probably died between 12 and 24 hours before his body was found.

They said there were no injury marks on his body and no evidence of a struggle having taken place in the room. Mysteriously, a footprint found on the bed did not match the shoes worn by Carradine.

There was a glass of water in the room. Experts were checking to see if the drink had been tampered with.

Police refused to give further details, saying they needed to gather more evidence to determine the cause of death.

Carradine was in Bangkok to star in a new movie, Strand.

He arrived with a film crew in Bangkok and checked in at the hotel a few days ago.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1790...-carradine-dead

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lumpini police said the body of Carradine was found curled up inside the wardrobe with one end of a shoelace tied around his penis and the other end fastened around his neck.

Both of his hands were bound with a cord which was also tied around his neck, said an officer at the station who requested anonymity.

Good to see the Thai police and the Bangkok Post showing discretion at this time ! :)

Edited by Chaimai

Let's hope people don't just sweep this under the rug and instead that this event can help others who are suffering with the compulsion towards autoerotic asphyxiation. There is tremendous social value to be gained in the honest dialogue regarding the details of his tragic death.

Something strange about this.....He was in heaven while acting....he was here to act....hung himself...why not do it back at his home.. just strange...

I love watching him do his best not to fight...then the last resort he would fight and beat up 6 cowboys, so cool, RIP David....

The original BBC article said that he had been found with cord tied "around his neck and genitals". This was later changed to, "neck and other parts of his body."

Seems much more likelt to be autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong than suicide.

RIP.

Exactly, my first thought also.

Suicide is a sad thing, especially for the ones left behind and LOS seems to have more than it's share of suicides than the rest of the world.....or are the tourist suicides just more newsworthy??

Would be interesting to see stastistics on Thai falang suicide rates vs Thai population suicide rates vs world suicide rates.

RIP Grasshopper.....you will always be a hero!!!

My condolences to the family, friends, fans and colleagues who will no doubt miss him and be negatively affected by his passing.

I was never a fan of Kung <deleted> movies and thus not a big fan of his, but that said, he was a constant presence in Hollywood movies, he was a good actor and had a number of other memorable roles outside his Kung <deleted> roles. A face we remember and one I hope we don't forget.

It's been reported and discussed on BBC radio. They quote Thai Police as the source of their news.

Jonathan Head is currently being interviewed on BBC Radio.

He was in BKK for some filming. He was 72. He was found in a wardrobe with string round his neck. No other details at present

Thai television is reporting some very gruesome details as usual, probably untrue. Certainly quite sickening and I am not repeating such speculations.

Why can they not just report the facts and report them sensitively. TIT

For some reason it makes me feel better to know it wasn't suicide. Perhaps he went out doing something he really enjoyed.

I feel very emotional about this - Kung <deleted> was probably my most favorite series of all time; endless reruns on state TV introduced us European kids to buddhist philosophy. We had never seen anything like it, yet it all made sense. And in the end there was always some cool Kung <deleted> action beating up baddies - what could be better? Like, ever?

R.I.P. David Carradine.

BREAKING STORY

"Big Hollywood star" kills himself in Bangkok

A leading Hollywood star is said to have committed suicide in a Bangkok hotel on Wednesday, police sources said.

The identity of the elderly male star would be released soon, pending confirmation of his identity.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 04/06/09

Wait for postive ID :) Sad who ever it is.

TMZ.com is reporting this from a representative for David Carradine:

David's rep added, "We can confirm 100% that he never would have committed suicide. It was an accidental death. Everybody is in shock."

http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/04/david-carrad...was-accidental/

TMZ.com is a bit of a rag sheet topic-wise, but they are usually reliable in terms of sources. If the rep is already drawing a conclusion and not waiting for further investigation, seems like it is AEA.

Pretty surreal.

its amazing how everyone seems to just want him to have killed himself..

He had an ENTIRE room all to himself..

Why go into the closet!!!

Was the room THAT SMALL???

THis reeks of foul play or at least someone else in the room with him.

i havnt read all the posts ,perhaps someone has mentioned this ,but in the British papers its being reported that he was found hanging in a wardrobe with his genitals tied ,so it looks as if it was an auto erotic act that went wrong . remember Hutchins and the mp with an orange in his mouth ,sad way to be found.

Edited by thaimate

I am guessing that a hotel like this one employs CCTV throughout. Surely, there is footage of him entering the room (and anyone else if there was)?

An earlier Bangkok Post article already reported on this. CCTV was checked and no one observed exiting or entering besides the victim.

Sad news indeed, was a great fan of the Kung <deleted> series as a kid. RIP.

I find this very difficult to believe. However there is no chance that there was "foul play" because we know the height of Integrity and effectiveness of the Thai Police. :)

An actor from Los Angeles, divorced 4 times, with past documented problems with depression, suicidal thoughts, drugs, alcohol, aggression dies during a episode of autoerotic asphyxiation. Not hard to believe really.... Let's hope he's happier where he is now, having broken the bondage of self!

An actor from Los Angeles, divorced 4 times, with past documented problems with depression, suicidal thoughts, drugs, alcohol, aggression dies during a episode of autoerotic asphyxiation. Not hard to believe really.... Let's hope he's happier where he is now, having broken the bondage of self!

Agree wholeheartedly,

As I tweeted elsewhere, the autoerotic asphyxiation is very Michael Hutchence-esque.

Enjoyed the Kung <deleted> television series immensely.

But, of course, the von Daniken types will have a field day

Agree wholeheartedly,

As I tweeted elsewhere, the autoerotic asphyxiation is very Michael Hutchence-esque.

Enjoyed the Kung <deleted> television series immensely.

But, of course, the von Daniken types will have a field day

(consider the source... http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/0...15875-21415881/ ) but paints a different picture of events leading up to his death.

Carradine was found dead Thursday in Thailand. The 72-year-old actor appeared to have hanged himself in a suite at the luxury Swissotel Nai Lert Park Hotel, said Lt. Teerapop Luanseng, the officer responsible for investigating the death.

"I can confirm that we found his body, naked, hanging in the closet," Teerapop said. He said police were investigating and suspected suicide, though one of his managers questioned that theory.

"All we can say is, we know David would never have committed suicide," said Tiffany Smith, of Binder & Associates, his management company. "We're just waiting for them to finish the investigation and find out what really happened. He really appreciated everything life has to give ... and that's not something David would ever do to himself."

Carradine had flown to Thailand last week and began work on "Stretch"

A great loss...hopefully in the next few days we will find out more answers.

Of course if he died doing that auto erotic thingie, it wouldn't have been a suicide, rather an accident. I can understand the impulse to call it suicide as a way of respecting the deceased, as that would likely be seen as less shameful than this other possibility.

Edited by Jingthing

His reputation tarnished by his idiotic Hutchence style death. You would think a 72 year old would have a bit more common sense and maturity than to hang himself by accident whilst masturbating. At that age one is well advised to have a safer pastime like chess or golf, or Thai Visa.

Or pay someone to choke you while you do it...safest there is...

RIP David, I grew up enjoying your show Kung <deleted>. :/