New Comer

HusseinHussein

I'm amazed at the amount of useful information on Chiang Mai that has surfaced in this thread.

It makes one wonder how anybody used to travel to a strange country before the days of the internet, heaven forbid, they did it even before the telephone or television was invented.

Hussein, CM is very nice, not big, city. You are young & therefor adaptable. You will love it!

By the end of the 2nd day you will have made new friends both Thai & others, & they will show you around.

I wish i had the chance to do something like this when i was younger.

Edited by Lancashirelad

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed at the amount of useful information on Chiang Mai that has surfaced in this thread.

It makes one wonder how anybody used to travel to a strange country before the days of the internet, heaven forbid, they did it even before the telephone or television was invented.

Hussein, CM is very nice, not big, city. You are young & therefor adaptable. You will love it!

By the end of the 2nd day you will have made new friends both Thai & others, & they will show you around.

I wish i had the chance to do something like this when i was younger.

I am pretty much amazed myself :D

I never expected all those answer, really very amazing people

I am sure it will be very pleasant summer for me

what courses do you recommend I should apply for

I saw some cooking classes and other things

I am particularly interested in the cooking

is there a good place where I can apply? and what other courses would you recommend :)

I was planning to get my mobile phone, and I some one here said I can buy a sim from CM, what are the best mobile operators I would subscribe with??

@lannarebirth its no problem :D

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome, Hussein. In East Texas we say, 'it's not (only) the heat; it's the humidity.'

I thought maybe because we are in the wet season, i wouldn't sweat that much, but it hasn't rained since I came

It's not the rain; it's the humidity. I am surrounded by flooded rice fields.

it hasn't rained since I came
:):D:D
i have no clue the exact place of where i am staying

Could be in Texas :D ?

Better ask someone, if you can? Do you mean, where you are in relation to other parts of CM or that you don't know the name of the area you are in?

P.S. There are various online maps which might help you. Someone might post a link to a good map for HH?

Edited by WaiWai

it hasn't rained since I came
:):D:D
i have no clue the exact place of where i am staying

Could be in Texas :D ?

Better ask someone, if you can? Do you mean, where you are in relation to other parts of CM or that you don't know the name of the area you are in?

P.S. There are various online maps which might help you. Someone might post a link to a good map for HH?

I don't know the name of the area or the exact address I am in right now. but I am staying in a nice motel

I don't know the name of the area or the exact address I am in right now. but I am staying in a nice motel

Do they have cards with the address/maps? If not, have them write the address for you and don't leave the place without it. (Easy to forget to do this).

They can probably also teach you how to say the name of the area & some nearby landmark so if you are coming back by tuk tuk/songthaew, you can get the driver close to the motel, then point or walk :).

If you have a mobile phone, put in the motel's number. You can dial and pass the phone to the driver for directions.

For SIM cards, go for a pay as you go. Happy (DTAC) are ok and cheap, although are reaming users on the time validity at present. You can buy top-up cards at 7/11s anywhere and also register online to change to a different promotion. If you already have a phone, get it unlocked at a phone place - about 150/200 baht. If not, standard new Nokias can be a had for just a few k, negating the need to rough it and go secondhand.

thx WaiWai, i will sure ask them about it

but one more thing, I just saw a lizard in my room, thanks god, now its trapped in the bathroom

but i dont know if i should kill it or not???

NO! It's probably just one of the little geckos that are so common everywhere. They are harmless and eat bugs.

Do take the good advice offered here and I suggest short walks around your hotel area to get acquainted with the local road systems. The little "sois" are lanes that twist and turn throughout the city and it can be confusing until you get a sense of direction.

Chiang Mai has a lot of one way roads that you have to pay attention to if you take rides on bikes, motorbikes or taxis. Do NOT expect people to go the correct direction on a one way street or you might get run over. The only rule in Thailand is nobody follows the rules.

The inner city is surrounded by a square moat. There are two roads that follow the moat and each goes in the opposite direction. Each section of the moat is 1.8 kilometers long. There are a series of named "gates" that are used as reference points when describing an area. For example, the Thai Pei gate is an important one about half way along the eastern side of the moat. It is in an a busy area of markets, bars and accommodation.

Get a local map and go for a walk. You are going to have a great time. There is a section between the eastern side of the moat and the Ping River that is muslim oriented.

There is a section between the eastern side of the moat and the Ping River that is muslim oriented.

Welcome to CM, HH.

IanForbes is correct - but don't confuse the muslim-oriented area with the very conspicuous bar/entertainment/Night Bazaar area that is also "between the eastern side of the moat and the Ping River"....... :)

If you can, leave the lizard to get on with its business - controlling the insect population. Anyhow, you may think it's "trapped" in the bathroom - but I can promise you it will go where it wants to go and that won't be on you. It's a kind of gecko (called "jinjok" here) and totally harmless to you; I have at least half-a-dozen in my house - including one who regularly scurries across the wall in front of me where I have my computer.

You will sweat for a few days - it's natural as you acclimatise. Take it easy and wear lightweight, loose clothing. Personally, I try to not get used/addicted to aircon - just makes it feel worse when you finally venture into the natural air........ but up to you. If you don't already have one, I suggest you try to get a small personal bag with strap to go over your shoulder in which you can keep your cell-phone, wallet, papers etc. CM is pretty safe, but most locals still take sensible care of their valuables.

The "motel" where you're staying should have at least a free tourist map. When you have the chance, I suggest you get to one of the many bookshops to find something better. So many maps of Chiang Mai show you almost every soi (alley) in the old city (that's the square area with the moat all around it) - but the larger scale sections barely show you more than that CM is in northern Thailand. I already recommended the unique Nancy Chandler map + booklet directory (both packed with masses of info), but you might like to look at two more CM maps I like to use:

B&B (Berndtson & Berndtson) City Streets - ISBN 3-89707-178-9 (laminated, has street index - very clear layout).

Big Map (Finder Map) ISBN 0-9678586-1-5 (particularly good for the areas outside CM centre)

Not sure if anyone mentioned travel by tuk-tuk yet - they're the noisy 3-wheel open taxis that are everywhere. No fixed fares so you have to haggle - and you will get overcharged. Once you decide you want to go from A to B somewhere, try to get an idea from someone at 'A' of what sort of fare is reasonable to get to 'B'; after a while you'll have a sense of what's reasonable for a given distance so that the overcharge won't be too much more than a Thai will pay. A useful bit of Thai language: "oh! peng mahk kup" - "oh! very expensive".......... say it with a big smile and look very surprised - it may get you a big reduction to something more normal; if it doesn't, just walk away and find another one. With the songthaew ("songtao" - pick-up converted to [mostly] dark red open minibus with two benches), it's usually up to about 20 baht but you'll need to know your way around before you start using these - try it with a Thai friend a few times.

Good luck - and enjoy :D .

Edited by Steve2UK

Hussein, hope you got back home OK :) ?

Re lizards: if it's a small one and makes chirrupy noises, it won't bother you at all and will eat the mosquitoes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko

If it's a large one, and says, "to-kay, to-kay, "to-kay" it won't attack you either but you may wish to ask the management to remove it. Don't touch it. They are reputed to have a fearsome bite and are reluctant to let go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko . They do eat rats and other nasties but I'd probably not want one in my bathroom, either.

There are various other kinds, but these two seem the most common.

I can proudly say, that in the morning i opned the door and the Gecko was gone :D and I asked the manager he said it was nothing

anyway, with the maps, I think I will be provided with one tomorrow, I have taken a walk today, and I found a Dunkin Donut near where I stay I was thrilled

I also tried a Kaw Pod Kai for 20 Baht, wasnt that bad also, just to many garlic and onion but was ok :)

but I wanted to ask about sth, when do Thai people eat?? in US the morning breakfast and snacks at 12 for lunch and at 6 comes the dinner

do Thai people have the same??

and for transportation I will be provided with a bicycle, they say that the distance is so close from work

and everyone seems to have a motor cycle

I want to know more about CM, is there english movie theatre ?? whats the common places to hang out?? is it safe if I took a walk like 11 pm???

and please if you have any thing about Racha Mankala, do tell me :D

Hussein, hope you got back home OK :) ?

Re lizards: if it's a small one and makes chirrupy noises, it won't bother you at all and will eat the mosquitoes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko

If it's a large one, and says, "to-kay, to-kay, "to-kay" it won't attack you either but you may wish to ask the management to remove it. Don't touch it. They are reputed to have a fearsome bite and are reluctant to let go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko . They do eat rats and other nasties but I'd probably not want one in my bathroom, either.

WaiWai

its a normal Gecko :D

I want to know more about CM, is there english movie theatre ??

Yes, there are a few. The most modern one is Major Cineplex, located at the top floor of Central Airport Plaza (a shopping mall near the airport).

whats the common places to hang out?? is it safe if I took a walk like 11 pm???

The shopping malls are popular hangouts during daytime and early evening. The two main ones are Central Airport Plaza (same as above) and Central Kat Suan Kaew (located at the North-Western corner of the moat, on the way up to Doi Suthep (the mountain).

Other people hang out at pubs and clubs all over town... the backpacker crowd is mostly concentrated around the sois off Moon Muang Road. Especially in an open area behind the UN Irish Pub, with restaurants, cafes and bars.

Tourists of all types walk up and down the Night Bazaar on Chang Khlan Road every evening. Next to the Night Bazaar is Anusarn market with restaurants and one or two pubs. Loi Kroh Road is also popular with the tourists it has restaurants and bars, the bars at the western end of Loi Kroh have girls who are friendly with everyone.

There's Nimmanheimin Road if you want to see where the local young, trendy Thais (and visiting young trendy Thais as well as a smattering of mostly younger farang) hang out.

The areas in front and back of Chiang Mai University get fairly busy at night too, with food stalls, markets and restaurants. Not so many foreigners there either.

I also tried a Kaw Pod Kai for 20 Baht, wasnt that bad also, just to many garlic and onion but was ok :)

but I wanted to ask about sth, when do Thai people eat?? in US the morning breakfast and snacks at 12 for lunch and at 6 comes the dinner

Thai people don't have set times like in the west - Thai people eat any time of the day they feel like it.

Edited by Krupnik

Hussein, hope you got back home OK :D ?

WaiWai

its a normal Gecko :D

But you really don't want one of these guys walking about your room... :):D:D

Monitor_lizard_3.jpg

Monitor_lizard_6.jpg

Thai people don't have set times like in the west - Thai people eat any time of the day they feel like it.

Mostly true, except that lunch time (12 noon) is really lunch time and most eating places are bustling around that time.

Sawadi Krup :)

@IanForbes: you didnt have to scare me that way :D

@Thakkar: yes I have noticed, I once asked my professor, he said he eats 4 times aday

Today I have known for sure that Thai people are a very good people and always love to help.

I Have 5 days next month from 4-7 till 8-7 and I am really thinking to go to another cuty, I am considering Pheuket but I am worried about the weather and i dont have an exact plan, I also want to do lots of activities but dont know from where to start, I have every saturday and sunday free, and I finish work at 5

I just need a little help (as usual)

where can I get an english-thai dictionnary that has thai words written in english??

is there anything like it?

Quite a few - and any large bookstore will have quite a selection. IMO, probably the most useful, user-friendly and compact one is "Robertson's Practical English-Thai" (Asia Books) - bright yellow cover and small enough to slip into your pocket. Very useful for beginners - and also for people like me who really should speak Thai better by now.

One that came out earlier this year is the "Three-Way English/Thai Script/Thai Sound" (Paiboon Publishing ISBN 9781887521321) - bit more bulky and awkward to use compared to the Robertson.

Its predecessor (not sure if still available) is/was "Thai-English/English-Thai" (also Paiboon Publishing - ISBN 1-887521-14-3).

Any dictionary featuring a transliteration of the Thai word (i.e. "written in English") will have its own approach to trying to show pronounciation of tones - way more important in Thai language than anything you're used to. None is easy - but you start to get the feel for it after a while.

As you probably realise, most Thai will be pretty impressed and pleased that you're trying to learn their language - you're in for some fun moments when you make mistakes (and you will).

I have all three of these suggested dictionaries at Gecko Books and I would suggest the "Three-Way English/Thai Script/Thai Sound" (Paiboon Publishing ISBN 9781887521321) over the Roberson's dictionary as it has so many more words and customers like it better. However, it is less convienient to carry around because it is bigger.

• 2 weeks later...
I have all three of these suggested dictionaries at Gecko Books and I would suggest the "Three-Way English/Thai Script/Thai Sound" (Paiboon Publishing ISBN 9781887521321) over the Roberson's dictionary as it has so many more words and customers like it better. However, it is less convienient to carry around because it is bigger.

I tried to look at Central Mall, but couldnt find the book

where is your store located Ulyssess ?

If you go where Thapae Road and Thapae gate meet, you will see a Starbucks Coffee place and a Boots Drug store next to a small soi (Chang Moi Kao) with a couple of yellow and black Gecko Books signs at the mouth of the soi. If you look down the soi, you will see Gecko Books - the first bookshop on the right side. The dictionaries are right in front of the cah register.

Sawadi Krup guys :)

I have went to Gecko store, it took me some time but I was there

the recommended book is way professional to me, I just got a simple Thai book for beginners.

I wanted to ask you if anyone recommend any Tour Office. we are a group of 4 maybe 5 and we are planning to be doing a lot of adventures and trips as all of us are staying for minimum of 2 month.

Lagoon Krup :D

Hussein