Laotians In Chiang Mai

coolxten

Hi,

I'm planning a trip Chiang Mai to learn (beginner) Thai in December for a couple of months. My family is originally from Issan, so I'm able to speak conversational Laotian/Issan. Are there large poplations of Laotians living in Chiang Mai? Would it be difficult for a westernized twenty-something year old to find someone to do a language exchange with?

(Not to tout my own horn, but I'm also fluent in Mandarin, are there are a lot of Mandarin speakers in Chiang Mai as well?)

Thanks

There's a fair amount of migrants from the North East in Chiang Mai.

Also note that the local language shares many words with Lao (as well as with Thai), and that of course all three are closely related.

Certain flavors of Issan-Lao would be understood reasonably well by a person from Chiang Mai who's good at languages and communication.

I think you'll pick up Thai in no-time whatsoever.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hi,

I'm planning a trip Chiang Mai to learn (beginner) Thai in December for a couple of months. My family is originally from Issan, so I'm able to speak conversational Laotian/Issan. Are there large poplations of Laotians living in Chiang Mai? Would it be difficult for a westernized twenty-something year old to find someone to do a language exchange with?

(Not to tout my own horn, but I'm also fluent in Mandarin, are there are a lot of Mandarin speakers in Chiang Mai as well?)

Thanks

Chiangmai gets packed with chinese tourists during golden week, and they're also into learning golf, tennis, extreme sports, eco tourisim, elephants and so on ...

... snip ... Would it be difficult for a westernized twenty-something year old to find someone to do a language exchange with? ... quote]

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Coolxten, Welcome to Chiang Mai,

With your existing, impressive, language skills, I bet you will rapidly learn Thai. And I think it will be fun for you to speak with the older Lannans who still speak Cam Meung, and see how close it is to your Laos-Issarn Thai (Pasat Neur). And, if by "language exchange" you mean you teach a Thai English (or Mandarin ?) and they teach you modern Thai : I think you'll have more opportunities to do that than you will have time for (particularly if you locate near Chiang Mai University).

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/So...7/msg00566.html

The above link is to a comment I made back in 2007 on Cam Meung in soc.culture.thai. I hope you find it informative, but you should take what I say "lightly," since I neither speak Cam Meung or Pasat Neur, or Laos, other than a few phrases, and don't claim any great mastery of Thai, either.

best, ~o:37;

You might try finding local Issan folks through restaurants--there's a great Issan place across from Chiang Mai University called "Million% Issan" if I'm reading the sign right. You could try asking around at the restaurant for some input. There's definitely lots of Issan/Lao folks in town, it's just a question of finding out where they hang. Good luck!