Termites Active In Thailand ?

pautai

Ive had some interesting times with termites, we did try using a pest control company but basically the just come account and spray insecticide randomly around the place, with little interest in getting rid of the termites.

eventually we told them not to come back and got rid of them by laying down boric acid and borax, which is very toxic to insects, relatively toxic to plants and as dangerous as salt to humans, where it was dry. In addition we used traps to attract the termites so we could spray them with nematode worms, sold by a local university, which spread around the termite nests killing them on mass.

took a while be we seem to be termite free at the mo

anything with a antibiotic property can work to as the termites are very dependent on gut bacteria to make the wood digestible.

Edited by hazz

Has anyone used this company? Was it effective?

Nanoherb English page

They claim to be to get rid of termites using herbs to disrupt their digestion, and say that no poison or drilling is required. I would like to use them as I have a termite infestation in my spa, and want to avoid using poison if at all possible for obvious reasons.

Cheers.

Since the local Pest Control companies are ineffective I have done most of the search and kill work myself but have one colony which defies detection. I am trying the termite baits from the Singapore source that I posted above but it will be another ten days before I can comment on the effects.

lopburi3

Termites are a very serious problem here in Thailand. For that last 10 years we have used a spray firm that comes every other month and checks/sprays and have not had further problems. First visit will include drilling holes in cement floors to get under house and in ceilings but after that it becomes a find/destroy before they can establish themselves again. Cost per year is only about 6,000 baht or less so not a major expense.

simcity

Idem for me, first three years i took one year contract, now i take a 3 years contract (bit cheaper) problem resolve !

termites i find start by soft wood, going into harder wood when soft wood supply gone.

CS control i use

Edited by simcity

• 1 month later...
A good Thai friend ouf ours had us visit his house In Bangkok. I was wondering why the big door frames and furniture was discoloured.

Termites. They have eaten through doorframes , bookshelves,bannisters, underside of the roof outside, bedframes.

I believe the discoloration is from some acid the termites excrete after eating up the wood. You could walk around the house and knock on things and they all sounder hollow. They had also chewed through gypsum in the garage to get inside through pipes leading inside the house.

SO, beware if you start seeing discoloration in some wood around the house and knock here and there to see if anything sounds hollow.

We have a constant come and go of tiny red ants that come inside the house. The usually try and find open packages of food in the cupboards. The also feed on all the bugs that have died inside the ceiling lamp covers. In a few days I will place a few bowls of a sugary mixture around the house and try and see where the nests are when they head back that way. It will be their last meal.

Ants have chewed up concrete and gypsum here as well, get rid of them before they do any further damage to the concrete. You may just see tiny holes on the outside but the uprights may very well be hollow inside now or soon.

My wife says she had the whole underside of the concrete slab sprayed with some anti-termite chemical. Haven't seen a termite, except for the ones with wings that come from somewhere else at night.

So why dont you all use Permedan

Non-Toxic, odorless, stain free a water based contact spray that works for up to one month or morea water based contact killing spray,kills all known cold blooded insects,harmless to humans and pets,can be used in hospitals,schools,kitchens,meat producers,stables,kennels.No loss of business due to toxic odors,does not stain,can re enter room as soon as spraying is complete,works for up to one month or more.Totally bio degradeable and eco friendly,comes in 400mll hand sprays,1 litre refills or 5 litre cannisters. Not like the well known Rent a kill they use Toxic this is not you do not have to clear away anything. Spay it on the windows and entances to your house anything cold blooded touches it they are dead meat.

I actually saw the demo a rep was doing on this in the expats club in Pattaya he mixed a glass half full of water the other half with Permedan mixed it together and drank it was very impressed the rest he had left in the glass about 1/4 he used to kill some insects he had brought along. need to know were to buy easy do not call Eco Pest Control they are very expensive.

pawncom at gmx dot net for wholesale prices.

Tell ya what else its good for 100 pro Mossy bites get bitten spray on one hour the mosquito bite is gone,

post-59670-1269872563_thumb.jpg

Edited by canukbob

Has anyone used this company? Was it effective?

Nanoherb English page

They claim to be to get rid of termites using herbs to disrupt their digestion, and say that no poison or drilling is required. I would like to use them as I have a termite infestation in my spa, and want to avoid using poison if at all possible for obvious reasons.

Cheers.

I have used this Permedan product on and off over the last 3 years. For the most part it works ok but I think its too expensive for large applications and you can buy other products with permethrin(spelling?) cheaper.

Secondly and the main reason we stopped using it is my Thai wife hates the smell,,,,,,,,,,ads say it is "odorless",,,,,,,but it does leave a lingering ODOR the wife hates

• 3 months later...

I have used this Permedan product on and off over the last 3 years. For the most part it works ok but I think its too expensive for large applications and you can buy other products with permethrin(spelling?) cheaper.

Secondly and the main reason we stopped using it is my Thai wife hates the smell,,,,,,,,,,ads say it is "odorless",,,,,,,but it does leave a lingering ODOR the wife hates

Well thats a loda bu-----t if ever I heard it Permidan does not smell at all.

Thanks for that! Only 5K baht a year? I will definitely look them up.

Thanks again.

We came home one day to find 4 inch high Baiyoke towers sticking out of the teak floor. Somehow they found cracks or other ways to get into the floor from underneath. Company came in, bored several holes completely through the floor and into the dirt and injected poison. They said it only lasts about a year and that the buggers will be back. Termites are amazing insects.

We came home one day to find 4 inch high Baiyoke towers sticking out of the teak floor

I thought termites don't eat teak?

Teak is not their favorite dish but they'll eat it if nothing else is on the menu.

We came home one day to find 4 inch high Baiyoke towers sticking out of the teak floor

Teak is not their favorite dish but they'll eat it if nothing else is on the menu.

I didn't think they ate teak either, but in the last 9 months they have about completely eaten an old teak chair in the brush at our place. They do indeed eat teak.

Depends on the teak. First off, teak needs to be from trees about 15+ years old to have developed enough oil to resist termites. Younger than that and termites will eat it. Then you have two types of wood in the tree. The white to yellow colored part from around the outside of the tree is called sapwood. They eat that. The orange to brown part from the inside of the tree is called the hardwood. They don't eat that. So what you want is hardwood from mature trees.

I didn't think they ate teak either, but in the last 9 months they have about completely eaten an old teak chair in the brush at our place. They do indeed eat teak.

Any wood kept damp is game to wood eaters.

Common source of termites in condo buildings is planting soil brought in by occupants, soil that may be harboring the eggs.

Edited by trogers

Hello,

Are termites a risk for laminate floor in condo ?

Thanks.

Yes, if it is not the type that has been chemically treated. Laminated floor panels are just MDF boards with a finsihing paper stuck on the top.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Are termites a risk for laminate floor in condo ?

Thanks.

My parquet floor is "My Makaw". It also makes great & beautiful furniture. It is very dense & heavy.

Not sure the English translation.

There is a furniture store (factory) in front of my condo. They do not use teak but my makaw exclusively.

Equally beautiful to teak.