Chiangmai V Phuket

doppa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So how polluted is the air up there during the burning season? Isn't it comparable to Mexico City?

I do feel OP has hit a lot of the problems about Phuket fairly, but if you're a beach person like myself, CM is not an option.

mr. beach boy, first Chiang mai polution in the burn season makes Mexico cities air seem as pure as the driven snow but no big deal in fact some people find it easy to hold their breath for a 2-3 months otherwise thats's what gas mask are for

lets forget all that for now since it is only 2-3 months a year that you can't breath here... hasn't killed me yet !!.....

i have a very easy solution to fill the beach craving need you have right here in CM !!. having grown up on the white sand beaches elsewhere in the world myself....with all my days spent on boats,on beaches and playing with the beautiful ,young, beach bunnies in their bikinis...what to do???whats the answer for CM beachless?

very easy indeed and anybody , eveybody can do this and find true contentment , happiness here in friendly CM...

#1-buy a few posters with cool beach scenes ,then buy a plastic raft ..somewhere, maybe phuket...

#2- slam several of your favorite drinky poos,now slam down two or three more for good measure...

#3-post the posters around one of the many pools , ponds ,lakes, the moat or even the canal , it's up to you which one

#4a- blow up plastic raft

#4b- float on a plastic raft in the pool pond,moat or canal

#5-sing beach boy songs...as you float on plastic raft drunk in the CM pool /pond....of your choosing

#6 now in a drunken haze blindly gaze at the several posters you have put up .

#7-keep singing beach boy songs as you flap your arms in the mirky waters as you continue to float on your plastic raft!!

#8- slam two to four more drinky poos to keep your blinded bliss

Edited by gatorhead333

I wish people would stop talking up ChiangMai. I want all the Pucket and Pattaya types to stay home.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Those guys claim that CM lacks the action they're used to, so they usually crawl back to where they came from. Natural order. :)

I am actually from a place that is locally referred to as Saa-weeden. :)

Me too miss fly fishing, so PM me once you get settled. Beer, fly fishing topped with some Phuket-bashing. Can't wait.

No need to give up fly fishing if you live near Chiang Mai. There are several pay for play ponds within a half hour, and if you are willing to start early and finish late there are several reservoirs worth fishing. You just won't find trout or salmon. But, local species like Mekong catfish, jungle perch and snakeheads are common.

Thanks Ian. I saw your other thread about this and I really want to get my act together and hit the lakes some day. As a teenager I used to build rods and tie my own flies. Do you know if anyone is selling fly tying equipment somewhere in CM?

Edited by mrsouza

I wish people would stop talking up ChiangMai. I want all the Pucket and Pattaya types to stay home.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Those guys claim that CM lacks the action they're used to, so they usually crawl back to where they came from. Natural order. :)

CM does lack the action that is why it is so nice! once CM has action, if ever, then it would get busy like pattaya and phuket ,it would have many more farangs with much more money here ,in time this would drive the people with no money out of here.... hmmmm....

Edited by gatorhead333

I am actually from a place that is locally referred to as Saa-weeden. :)

Me too miss fly fishing, so PM me once you get settled. Beer, fly fishing topped with some Phuket-bashing. Can't wait.

No need to give up fly fishing if you live near Chiang Mai. There are several pay for play ponds within a half hour, and if you are willing to start early and finish late there are several reservoirs worth fishing. You just won't find trout or salmon. But, local species like Mekong catfish, jungle perch and snakeheads are common.

Thanks Ian. I saw your other thread about this and I really want to get my act together and hit the lakes some day. As a teenager I used to build rods and tie my own flies. Do you know if anyone is selling fly tying equipment somewhere in CM?

The guy to contact in Chiang Mai is Jon Ingi Agustsson. Jon has a fishing travel outfit and a company selling fishing flies.

Asian Angling Adventures

Office 087-192-2276 private 081-025-9415

CM does lack the action that is why it is so nice! once CM has action, if ever, then it would get busy like pattaya and phuket ,it would have many more farangs with much more money here ,in time this would drive the people with no money out of here.... hmmmm....

Lets pray that never happens, but I don't think it will. Funny thing is that Phuket used to be a very high end resort in the early 90's. For some reason, the more bars they built and the more expensive the place got, the cheaper the clientele. The rich tourists went elsewhere, which is understandable. Of course it still has rich tourists, but they are on a different end of the food chain.

Each to his own I suppose - but having lived in CM for five years and now living in Phuket for two, Phuket continues to win hands down, for me at least. Actually, have just returned from CM yesterday as part of a larger holiday and was somewhat depressed at seeing CM so very quiet and local businesses clearly struggling. But that fact aside, I could no more spend another January through May in CM than fly to the moon. And yes, parts of Phuket can be termed a cesspool and quite rightly so but I chose not to live in those places and all is just fine, even in Patong.

Each to his own I suppose - but having lived in CM for five years and now living in Phuket for two, Phuket continues to win hands down, for me at least. Actually, have just returned from CM yesterday as part of a larger holiday and was somewhat depressed at seeing CM so very quiet and local businesses clearly struggling. But that fact aside, I could no more spend another January through May in CM than fly to the moon. And yes, parts of Phuket can be termed a cesspool and quite rightly so but I chose not to live in those places and all is just fine, even in Patong.

It's hard to deny the attractions of Phuket...

Patong_Beach_bird.jpg

Patong_Beach_2.jpg

Laem_sing_beach_sunset_5.jpg

Pretty_dress.jpg

sorry to burst your bubble of enthusiasm for phuket, but 2 yrs is no where near enough to realise the major basic flaws of phuket, here are just a few, if you require more dont hesitate to ask, i think 7yrs living here qualifies what i'm stating.

that the very basics of refuse, water and electric supply is on the verge of collapse, the pollution that's pumped into the ocean is visible to all on occasions

that crime is increasing on a daily basis, and i'm not just talking of theft

that sexual transmitted disease is rife

that roads will need expanding within the next 5 yrs, but they have nowhere to build them, without tearing down the hills, which will make phuket a major building site, as if it isn't already

that land and house prices are hideous, and just this morning i met an estate agent friend of mine, who's extremly worried about the general future of phuket, and agreed that it's becoming seedier every day.

and you say even patong is ok,it's the biggest cesspool of all the areas, you are deluding yourself, was there this morning, the place stinks, the beach is full of litter, and every inch of the road system is taken up with the local tuk tuk mafia, but i guess you had to defend phuket, having uprooted from chiangmai, so if you dont mind being treated like a tourist everyday, by extremly rude and aggresive people, well i guess thats upto you, but time will tell, i would say another 3/4 years and you will be on the move.

be careful my friend, especially on the roads at night, there are some seriously dangerous people looking for single driving farangs.

sorry to burst your bubble of enthusiasm for phuket, but 2 yrs is no where near enough to realise the major basic flaws of phuket, here are just a few, if you require more dont hesitate to ask, i think 7yrs living here qualifies what i'm stating.

that the very basics of refuse, water and electric supply is on the verge of collapse, the pollution that's pumped into the ocean is visible to all on occasions

that roads will need expanding within the next 5 yrs, but they have nowhere to build them, without tearing down the hills, which will make phuket a major building site, as if it isn't already

that land and house prices are hideous, and just this morning i met an estate agent friend of mine, who's extremly worried about the general future of phuket, and agreed that it's becoming seedier every day.

and you say even patong is ok,it's the biggest cesspool of all the areas, you are deluding yourself, was there this morning, the place stinks, the beach is full of litter, and every inch of the road system is taken up with the local tuk tuk mafia, but i guess you had to defend phuket, having uprooted from chiangmai, so if you dont mind being treated like a tourist everyday, by extremly rude and aggresive people, well i guess thats upto you, but time will tell, i would say another 3/4 years and you will be on the move.

be careful my friend, especially on the roads at night, there are some seriously dangerous people looking for single driving farangs.

What a load of nonsense it is to say that someone has to live here for seven years before they understand all the problems you describe, I suppose I could say the same thing to you about CM, but I didn't think it was necessary to do so, except of course in the case of the problems during burning season which may well take a few seasons before the problem truly registers!

Look, if you like CM and enjoy it, good for you, enjoy your stay. For my part I love waking up to the views I have of the bay, I truly enjoy my drive down the coast to the gym in Karoen and enjoy many many other aspects of living here. What works for one person at any point in time doesn't work for someone else or even the same person at a different point in time, no need to rubbish the place that works for me right now however. As I said earlier, each to their own.

What a load of nonsense it is to say that someone has to live here for seven years before they understand all the problems you describe, I suppose I could say the same thing to you about CM, but I didn't think it was necessary to do so, except of course in the case of the problems during burning season which may well take a few seasons before the problem truly registers!

Look, if you like CM and enjoy it, good for you, enjoy your stay. For my part I love waking up to the views I have of the bay, I truly enjoy my drive down the coast to the gym in Karoen and enjoy many many other aspects of living here. What works for one person at any point in time doesn't work for someone else or even the same person at a different point in time, no need to rubbish the place that works for me right now however. As I said earlier, each to their own.

just setting the record straight, and if you use the names of villages at least get the spelling right. :)

just setting the record straight, and if you use the names of villages at least get the spelling right. :D

:)

I have been to Chiang Mai a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not been to Phuket so I don't really have a vote on this one.

However, I would be interested to hear the views from people in Phuket, who have also at least experienced Chiang Mai.

Been there a few times to both places and it still does not compare to any other place in Thailand like in Kan :D

Couldn't agree more, but as mentioned there is no beach. If you prefer waterfalls and rainforests to beaches, as I do, CM is great.

In Kan we do have a Beach, fresh water one btw

large.jpg

and Waterfalls

Huay Mae Khamin Waterfall

large.jpg

and Rainforests up in 'Sangkhla Buri' and it is just about half distance between Phuket and Chiang Mai with only 100 kms odd from Bangers and Mash.

Kan Win :)

Thanks for the photos, Kan win. It puts in perspective another place in Thailand that I haven't visited.

Where is Kan located in relationship to Bangkok? From the photos it looks to be west.

I'm a picture person (as others on tv already know) and I have thousands of photos in my various forum galleries. People can describe in words what a place is like, but until you actually see a photo you don't really understand. After that it's just a case of learning the area on a more personal level. Everyone has different tastes and no one place is perfect for everything. However, spending a holiday in one place is far different than living somewhere year-round. I enjoy my fishing and hunting trips, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in the wilderness... but some people can.

Khun Ulysses : "Maybe someone should bring up one of Mapguy's famous pollution threads from about March."

Khun Rasseru : "That might unfairly give the impression that air pollution causes brain damage."

Sawasdee Khrup Esteemed Khuns,

I think I will "side" with Khun Rasseru on this : many of us here have earned our brain damage the hard way, on our own, without Head Start programs, social entitlement programs, free psychotherapy, or government subsidized medications, independent of whether our families put a silver spoon in our mouth or were dysfunctional, or utopianly warm and loving, and to attribute it to natural causes diminshes our pride in our achievement.

regards, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

. . . I think I will "side" with Khun Rasseru on this : many of us here have earned our brain damage the hard way, on our own, without Head Start programs . . .

Most highly esteemed Khun o:37 :

Your kind support in this matter is gratefully acknowledged and humbly accepted, but as a matter of detail, which is where of course the Devil famously dwells, I think perhaps you might have had in mind, as it were, the more renowned Head Stop program.

Yours respectfully,

Rasseru

Your kind support in this matter is ... snip ... humbly accepted

It has nothing to do with the topic at hand but, and you will acknowledge that it's a strange coincidence, it reminds me a quote I found, entirely by accident, 10 minutes ago: "With people of only moderate ability modesty is mere honesty; but with those who possess great talent it is hypocrisy." Arthur Schopenhauer

Your kind support in this matter is ... snip ... humbly accepted

It has nothing to do with the topic at hand but, and you will acknowledge that it's a strange coincidence, it reminds me a quote I found, entirely by accident, 10 minutes ago: "With people of only moderate ability modesty is mere honesty; but with those who possess great talent it is hypocrisy." Arthur Schopenhauer

My goodness, that is well beyond me! :D

Khun M. Hulot : "It has nothing to do with the topic at hand but, and you will acknowledge that it's a strange coincidence, it reminds me a quote I found, entirely by accident, 10 minutes ago: "With people of only moderate ability modesty is mere honesty; but with those who possess great talent it is hypocrisy." Arthur Schopenhauer"

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun M. Hulot,

Thanks for the quote : a sweet lagniappe, a thirteenth free donut whose hole is more than the sum of its parts.

According to the "Banananatha," the collection of apocrypha surrounding the public oral teachings of Ur-Orang, there is an anecdote where a young seeker-Orang (these are known as "yahoos" or "serious clowns") asked Ur-Orang what "humility" was : as usual Ur-Orang replied with a question : "Is humility a giant who never admits he stands on the top of a pyramid of dwarves ?"

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Personally I enjoy waking up to this view everyday as opposed to mountains (when the air is clean) and a city.

Yes, there is more to Phuket than Patong beach...

Phuket_014.jpg

Phuket_036.jpg

But Phuket is over priced by any compared standards in Thailand. And, Patong is where most tourists wind up when they don't know any better. It's main street is low class sleeze even by Pattaya standards and everything costs twice as much. I couldn't even find a Thai meal of Kow Pad for under 100 baht.

Patong_street_2.jpg

Personally I enjoy waking up to this view everyday as opposed to mountains (when the air is clean) and a city.

Phuket_014.jpg

Phuket_036.jpg

But Phuket is over priced by any compared standards in Thailand. And, Patong is where most tourists wind up when they don't know any better. It's main street is low class sleeze even by Pattaya standards and everything costs twice as much. I couldn't even find a Thai meal of Kow Pad for under 100 baht.

Patong_street_2.jpg

Kow Pad Gai, Food hall in the basement of Jungceylon, 60 baht and very fine it is too - try it with a serving of Mamassan curry, 80 baht all in, very good.

Kow Pad Gai, Food hall in the basement of Jungceylon, 60 baht and very fine it is too - try it with a serving of Mamassan curry, 80 baht all in, very good. [/img]

Yes, that is where we ate most often. It was a busy place when other restaurants were relatively empty. But, I get Kow Pad gai (or moo) and a bowl of soup in Chiang Mai or Pattaya for 30 baht in street cafes, and 50 baht in restaurants. No big deal really, but it's just a comparison. When you really only need to eat twice a day and fill in the rest with fruit, it doesn't come to much in the long run. Where you know the difference is comparing hotel accommodation. If you own your own place then it's all relative. You pay more initially in Phuket, but you get it back when you sell.

Khun M. Hulot : "It has nothing to do with the topic at hand but, and you will acknowledge that it's a strange coincidence, it reminds me a quote I found, entirely by accident, 10 minutes ago: "With people of only moderate ability modesty is mere honesty; but with those who possess great talent it is hypocrisy." Arthur Schopenhauer"

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun M. Hulot,

Thanks for the quote : a sweet lagniappe, a thirteenth free donut whose hole is more than the sum of its parts.

According to the "Banananatha," the collection of apocrypha surrounding the public oral teachings of Ur-Orang, there is an anecdote where a young seeker-Orang (these are known as "yahoos" or "serious clowns") asked Ur-Orang what "humility" was : as usual Ur-Orang replied with a question : "Is humility a giant who never admits he stands on the top of a pyramid of dwarves ?"

~o:37;

Sawatdee Krap, Khun Orang37,

May I humbly request that, from now on, you refer to me as Monsieur Hulot, M. Hulot or Khun Hulot but NOT Khun M. Hulot or Khun Monsieur Hulot? I'm allergic to useless repetitions and unfortunately I'm running out of drugs. I also believe, in all modesty, of course, that we are now cyber friends. My friends usually call me "Monsieur". I call them when I need something. Dude, I am a simple man, and wish to remain the simplest of all simple men, so you don't have to be that obsequious. :)

By the way, are you from New Orleans?

Monsieur Hulot

Phuket_014.jpg

Phuket_036.jpg

Patong_street_2.jpg

the never ending question, do pictures tell lies, or is it pictures dont tell lies, beneath the beauty of a single frame lies an underworld of neverending problems.

Sawatdee Krap, Khun Orang37, Monsieur Hulot,

May I humbly request that you guys consider the PM function?

And, to keep this safely distanced from the original topic, may I ask ChiangMai and Doppa:

Do we really need to see Ian Forbes' photos - nice as they are - posted three times?

Even if you have bandwidth to spare, why?

Your humble servant in the quest for an excellent forum,

a