Thong Lo Police Still Conducting Their Stop And Frisks

johnthaivisa

By law the responsible officer can REQUEST foreigners to show their passport. But there is no FINE PENALTY for the one who doesn't has passport on him/her self at the time of request. If the officer realy want to he can even follow them to the hotel etc. to see the passport, that's it. If the foreigners can't produce passport AT ALL all there is penalty for illegal entry/stay. :)

Thanks for clearing that up. It would be helpful if you could provide the source of your information. By source, I mean the relevant legislation or police order or whatever.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant be sure but I'd guess that all foreigners must carry some sort of ID, just as the Thai's do.

Of course a passport is the only official form of ID that many tourists have and so that is used when needed, a drivers licence does the job just as well.

By law the responsible officer can REQUEST foreigners to show their passport. But there is no FINE PENALTY for the one who doesn't has passport on him/her self at the time of request. If the officer realy want to he can even follow them to the hotel etc. to see the passport, that's it. If the foreigners can't produce passport AT ALL all there is penalty for illegal entry/stay. :)
Thanks for clearing that up. It would be helpful if you could provide the source of your information. By source, I mean the relevant legislation or police order or whatever.

็ำHere's the Immigration Law

http://www.krisdika.go.th/lawChar.jsp?head...wCode=ค02

The PHF link is too long and doesn't work. You have to make selection o nthe page. Chose the top one. There are also other regulation.

Page 21-23 contains penalty section, Section 8 (๘) Article 61-85 (๖๑-๘๕). Some articles describe the cause of offence but some refer to the articles of previous section.

You will find no article stat that failing to produce PP immidiately or not carrying PP with you all the time is an offence.

Edited by oldsparrow

I cant be sure but I'd guess that all foreigners must carry some sort of ID, just as the Thai's do. Of course a passport is the only official form of ID that many tourists have and so that is used when needed, a drivers licence does the job just as well.

Not really,the Thai citizen ID card is made at the age of 15. So many children/teens go around with no ID at all. They don't have driving license and may not any school ID.

Not having PP with you can cause trouble for foreigners in some cae like: You are requested to show PP in Phuket but you left it at your friend's house in BKK. There is no legal different between you and illegal immigrant. On bad day you may be taken into custody and charge. So at least the copy can be useful.

Here's the Immigration Law

http://www.krisdika.go.th/lawChar.jsp?head...wCode=ค02

The PHF link is too long and doesn't work. You have to make selection o nthe page. Chose the top one. There are also other regulation.

Page 21-23 contains penalty section, Section 8 (๘) Article 61-85 (๖๑-๘๕). Some articles describe the cause of offence but some refer to the articles of previous section.

You will find no article stat that failing to produce PP immidiately or not carrying PP with you all the time is an offence.

Thanks for the link. You're right, it doesn't work. I can't access the website either. Could you attach the PDF? And by the way, I just want to make it clear I'm not attempting to dispute you or anything. I'm genuinely interested in precisely what the law is on this issue.

P.S. @globalj - apparently - so those two plod from Thong Lor told me on one of the many occasions they stopped me - a Thai DL is not sufficient (this is generally all I carry). You must produce the relevant page in your passport (the one that contains your current permission to stay stamp).

If there's no fine for not carrying your passport, why were all the foreigners who were arrested for not carrying their passports during the raid on Q Bar fined 500 Baht each?

Because there weren't enough people that failed the drug test to extort money from, so they took money from people without a passport instead.

Thanks. From infor. there, someone was told by someone that 1,000 B was fine for something, in addition to what is publish in the news article.

That'll be more like it.

Cop: Hey you, have passport?

farang 1: No

farang 2: No

farang 3: No

Cop: Hey boss, I can see a pattern emerging here. Is there a fine for having no passport.

Boss cop: Dunno, but there is now.

If there's no fine for not carrying your passport, why were all the foreigners who were arrested for not carrying their passports during the raid on Q Bar fined 500 Baht each?

Whtat does the receipt says?

Here's the link to the story.

Q Bar raid link

Well.. Being Qbar, the patrons will either have been ponces or whores... Either of the afformetioned is worth a 500 baht fine in my book...

Oldsparrow... Not carrying your passport at all times in a imprisonable offence.. :)

Listen up deniers! It happened to myself. I was in taxi and the these police men stopped the taxi. The taxi driver had to show his ID. He asked me for my passport. I did not have it on me at the time. He told me to exit the taxi. This happened on Petchburi Road before entering Soi Nana. It was in the Aftternoon. They said there was a muder around the area and they were investigating the area. While I was there, two Indian guys were stopped by them. They had their passports,although. They frisked me and checked me for drugs. They said that foreigners who don't have their passports can be fined or face jail time. I said it was at my flat. They said we can help you out. I said how? They said by giving us 1500 baht. I only had 100 baht on me at the time. I told them I had to go to the cheque point. They said give us your ATM card and we will get the cash for you. I said no, I can't allow you to do that. I said I will get it myself. First they said no, but then they agreeded. I gave them the 1500 baht and that was it. They said always have your passport on you.

I never saw them again. No receipt was given by the way. They did have police uniforms on.

Edited by britainmal

Listen up deniers! It happened to myself. I was in taxi and the these police men stopped the taxi. The taxi driver had to show his ID. He asked me for my passport. I did not have it on me at the time. He told me to exit the taxi. This happened on Petchburi Road before entering Soi Nana. It was in the Aftternoon. They said there was a muder around the area and they were investigating the area. While I was there, two Indian guys were stopped by them. They had their passports,although. They frisked me and checked me for drugs. They said that foreigners who don't have their passports can be fined or face jail time. I said it was at my flat. They said we can help you out. I said how? They said by giving us 1500 baht. I only had 100 baht on me at the time. I told them I had to go to the cheque point. They said give us your ATM card and we will get the cash for you. I said no, I can't allow you to do that. I said I will get it myself. First they said no, but then they agreeded. I gave them the 1500 baht and that was it. They said always have your passport on you.

I never saw them again. No receipt was given by the way. They did have police uniforms on.

Why didn't you offer the 100baht ?

Like when you're driving and you get pulled and just give the office what ever note is handy...

tip number #1 when have car

Have a handy 50 and a 100baht note so you can palm him with the 50 first.

You are so unlucky with that next time try to get scammed by the demon Yakult ladies then you will have something to really complain about :)

:)

untitled.bmp

how long did it take for them to let you go? how many were you with?

3 of us and they were stubborn so close to an hour, we called friends to bring the passports and we were all going to wait but the cops finally gave up, this was 6 years ago. But ever since then whenever I get stopped by the cops and they ask for a passport I immediately go on about working here for 6 years. They have never asked for money ever since I started doing that. Not exactly sure why it discourages them but it works.

how long did it take for them to let you go? how many were you with?

3 of us and they were stubborn so close to an hour, we called friends to bring the passports and we were all going to wait but the cops finally gave up, this was 6 years ago. But ever since then whenever I get stopped by the cops and they ask for a passport I immediately go on about working here for 6 years. They have never asked for money ever since I started doing that. Not exactly sure why it discourages them but it works.

Might that have something with the fact that you will know more people than a tourist? You might even know one person with some power and that would be more problematic than it would be worth...

Truth is I act very annoyed and tell them I work here and don't bother carrying my dam_n passport around with me all the time like a tourist. They have accepted that 3 times that it has happened. Specifically the passport question, not other types of stops and checks.

I did offer them the 100 Baht, but they said, "Mai dtaai." I did not feel like going to the Sataanee Tamruat, so I gave in to their demands. After this event it never happenned again though. I know better now. I spoke fluent Thai with them. Actually, they were happy when they learned I can speak Thai so well. I should have just played the tourist role. They did ask me what I was doing here. I told them I was teaching. They said do you have a work permit, I said everything is at my Flat. They said, that they did not care about me workig here legally or ilegally, they just wanted the fine money for not having the passport.

Edited by britainmal