2.5 Mtr King Cobra Has Moved In Under House

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King Cobras are opertunity feeders, while they may prefer other snakes they will eat any small mammal. A bite of caution tho, they are aggressive.

I have had my share of run-ins in tunnels in S.Vietnam and a few in Laos in the 70's. They dont care who they bite or even if they can eat them.

Elephants are one that seem to be in the line of fire as they tramp through the forest. One has died last year near Chang Mai I think.

Calling snake rescue would be my first choice, but then I also have a ahhh :D taste for som tam cobra! :)

Edited by meelousee

Hi, It is a golden tree snake. Rearfanged, mildly venomous, enough to kill a gecko. Day active and superb climbers. I used to catch them and let my daughters play with them. (Chrysopelea spp.) Enclose a picture that shows one I caught while driving the kids to school. (There are other pictures of snakes if you check out my profile and pasts posts.)

Pit vipers.... (Trimeresurus spp.) Been bitten in the thumb and my whole arm grow bigger than my thigh. That was PAINFUL and costed me three days in the intensive care unit. Enclose a picture of how it may look. Not from when I was bitten.

Cobras... Well, all cobras "hisses" and due to the construction of their fangs, venom might come out and if you are very, very close, you might end up in the hospital. Having rinsefluid being dropped every second for 24 hours in your eyes. Happened to a friend of mine.

Then you have the spitting cobras which actually can spit apx 2-3 meters with precision. Eyeglasses is a very good protection.

If you get venom in your eyes, do not touch the eyes. Make sure you pour huge amounts of water in them and get to the hospital. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES! Blodvessels might bust and that will be equal to a direct bite in the eye. Remember that all cobras of the genus Naja have one part of their venom to support their diggesting. However, when bitten, it is very, very common that you get tissue death up to 3 months after the bite. And not always at the same place as the bite occured. Trust me that people has been surprised when the toes are rotting away, after being bitten in the hand....

But.... the King Cobra is not a Naja so that is not the case. However, the amount of the venom it produces is extreme. And it is very, very potent. So bitten, without treatment, you will die. There are several reports of lethal bites of KC:s. I enclose one old picture from a lady in the US named Grace Wiley who was bitten by her, thought to be, tame one. She died at the scene.

I have been handling snakes for apx 40 yrs and had most of the species in the world for breeding purposes. Cobras are easy and not to be worried about. But King Cobras plays in another league together with Taipans and Black Mambas. Some african cobras play in the same league as well. I enclose a few pictures of KC:s so you understand the magnitude of King Cobras.

They act intelligent and trust me, so many times when you are about to catch them, you recognize the fact that the snake is actually controlling the situation and is trapping you. A KC of 5.5meters actually raise about 2.5-3 meters above the ground, looking down at you with a head at the same size as a Dobermann. It controls you.

KC:s are cannibals and only stay together when they nest. One of the few venomous snakes in the world that actually does that. And it protects its nest. Otherwise it is very docile and calm, just trying to get away if you approach it.

A KC must be removed by professionals. Be very, very careful.

All other stories that if you kill one, the male will hunt you down, etc are just bs. Many times when you see shows the cobras are exhausted or chilled down to act slow. Remember that snakes just have one functioning lung and can´t "fight" for long. At the same time, the males has two penises so.... :-)

Hopefully this information help you out to understand the situation better. All this information is by personal experience and from fact books. No, "my friend .... "

Rgds.

Grace_Wiley.bmp

post-41583-1245141428_thumb.jpg

post-41583-1245141456_thumb.jpg

post-41583-1245141489_thumb.jpg

post-41583-1245141553_thumb.jpg

post-41583-1245141662_thumb.jpg

Hi, It is a golden tree snake. Rearfanged, mildly venomous, enough to kill a gecko. Day active and superb climbers. I used to catch them and let my daughters play with them. (Chrysopelea spp.) Enclose a picture that shows one I caught while driving the kids to school. (There are other pictures of snakes if you check out my profile and pasts posts.)

Pit vipers.... (Trimeresurus spp.) Been bitten in the thumb and my whole arm grow bigger than my thigh. That was PAINFUL and costed me three days in the intensive care unit. Enclose a picture of how it may look. Not from when I was bitten.

Cobras... Well, all cobras "hisses" and due to the construction of their fangs, venom might come out and if you are very, very close, you might end up in the hospital. Having rinsefluid being dropped every second for 24 hours in your eyes. Happened to a friend of mine.

Then you have the spitting cobras which actually can spit apx 2-3 meters with precision. Eyeglasses is a very good protection.

If you get venom in your eyes, do not touch the eyes. Make sure you pour huge amounts of water in them and get to the hospital. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES! Blodvessels might bust and that will be equal to a direct bite in the eye. Remember that all cobras of the genus Naja have one part of their venom to support their diggesting. However, when bitten, it is very, very common that you get tissue death up to 3 months after the bite. And not always at the same place as the bite occured. Trust me that people has been surprised when the toes are rotting away, after being bitten in the hand....

But.... the King Cobra is not a Naja so that is not the case. However, the amount of the venom it produces is extreme. And it is very, very potent. So bitten, without treatment, you will die. There are several reports of lethal bites of KC:s. I enclose one old picture from a lady in the US named Grace Wiley who was bitten by her, thought to be, tame one. She died at the scene.

I have been handling snakes for apx 40 yrs and had most of the species in the world for breeding purposes. Cobras are easy and not to be worried about. But King Cobras plays in another league together with Taipans and Black Mambas. Some african cobras play in the same league as well. I enclose a few pictures of KC:s so you understand the magnitude of King Cobras.

They act intelligent and trust me, so many times when you are about to catch them, you recognize the fact that the snake is actually controlling the situation and is trapping you. A KC of 5.5meters actually raise about 2.5-3 meters above the ground, looking down at you with a head at the same size as a Dobermann. It controls you.

KC:s are cannibals and only stay together when they nest. One of the few venomous snakes in the world that actually does that. And it protects its nest. Otherwise it is very docile and calm, just trying to get away if you approach it.

A KC must be removed by professionals. Be very, very careful.

All other stories that if you kill one, the male will hunt you down, etc are just bs. Many times when you see shows the cobras are exhausted or chilled down to act slow. Remember that snakes just have one functioning lung and can´t "fight" for long. At the same time, the males has two penises so.... :-)

Hopefully this information help you out to understand the situation better. All this information is by personal experience and from fact books. No, "my friend .... "

Rgds.

Great information! Thanks for taking the time to bring us up to speed.

You are welcome!

And thanx for helping me out with the Grace Wiley pic.

And sorry, I noticed that one of the pics were missing. Here it is!

It is a picture of a typical example of the damages from a bite of a snake with Haematoxin. I.e Vipers and Rattlers.

The damages from neurotoxins, (Elapids i.e Cobras, mambas, kraits), etc are rarely noticeable more than out of needle size markings of fangs/teeth. However, neurotoxins also very often contains tissue melting ingredients that causes necrosis, even several months after a victim has been bitten.

Rgds,

post-41583-1245146248_thumb.jpg

Just an update on hissing Sid. Err in doors says it is lucky to have the snake move in and it has to stay, I even offered to go to the Wat to make amends but she is having none of it. I can't figure it out ? :D Is it a Thai thing ? I thought as she is from Issan that she would immediately want to kill and eat it but it's not happening. So I just have to be a little more careful when coming home drunk and am getting some of the herbal repellent for the house. Thanks for all the advice, Cheers Dunc :)

Edited by H2oDunc

Great info and pics. I guess it's easy to see where it got the "King" tag. As big as it is, I bet if I ran into one face to face I'd crap twice his size before fainting.

Seriously, a large, very venomous snake residing somewhere around or under or near your home and your girl says let it stay because it's good luck? I think a new girlfriend might be good luck too.

Maybe your girl wears the pants in the family, but in this instance, the snake must go. You need to put your foot down, before you step on Mamba.

Just an update on hissing Sid. Err in doors says it is lucky to have the snake move in and it has to stay, I even offered to go to the Wat to make amends but she is having none of it. I can't figure it out ? :D Is it a Thai thing ? I thought as she is from Issan that she would immediately want to kill and eat it but it's not happening. So I just have to be a little more careful when coming home drunk and am getting some of the herbal repellent for the house. Thanks for all the advice, Cheers Dunc :)

Duncster, read a couple of Posts up Mate & i guess you could be forgiven for going over the Mrs Head on this one... :D

Fantastic Post by the way Okidoki ( good User name too ) & superb Pictures, thanks.. :D

I'm no expert, but when you see so many Thai women playing solitaire and making "blessing" motions at the cards, and saying that certain solitaire positions are lucky...I have to just shake my head.

Then again, maybe the snake is a guardian spirit. Kiss it and see if it turns into a tailor or fake DVD seller.

Or better yet, capture it and learn to charm it with your flute...

I'm no expert, but when you see so many Thai women playing solitaire and making "blessing" motions at the cards, and saying that certain solitaire positions are lucky...I have to just shake my head.

Then again, maybe the snake is a guardian spirit. Kiss it and see if it turns into a tailor or fake DVD seller.

Or better yet, capture it and learn to charm it with your flute...

I don't care what it is, a lucky Charm, a Lottery Ticket, a fake DVD Seller & a Thai Soap Star in a formr Life, it's a King Cobra & very dangerous, get rid of it pronto before something unfortunate happens & it's better to be safe than sorry & no offence but having the Mrs say what she' ssaying & you the Duncster going with the flow, is a nonsensical in my opinion....

There must be hundreds of king cobra on the island of Samui if not thousands. How many people are killed by them ? I have got some herbal snake repellent for the house and am prepared to let it live as long as it keeps itself to itself. First sign it wants to rumble then its cobra yang on the menu :D Chock dee or not.

Getting rid of the missus is a no no ! She cooks too good :D among other things :)

There must be hundreds of king cobra on the island of Samui if not thousands. How many people are killed by them ? I have got some herbal snake repellent for the house and am prepared to let it live as long as it keeps itself to itself. First sign it wants to rumble then its cobra yang on the menu :D Chock dee or not.

Getting rid of the missus is a no no ! She cooks too good :D among other things :)

Rather you than me, good luck Duncster, you might just need it... :D

Nah no luck. I am a great believer in when your time is up that's it. Like the woman in Brazil who missed her flight on the doomed French airliner. Lucky you might say ?

She died 2 days later in a car crash. Go figure. :)

on the other hand peoples say "could get hit by a bus Tommorow" but you dont play in bus lanes uh

Lets hope it dosnt find its self under the bed or behind the toilet. (image the hit off KC whislt squating or half a sleep)

dont leave the front door / or patio door open for too long :)

Nah no luck. I am a great believer in when your time is up that's it. Like the woman in Brazil who missed her flight on the doomed French airliner. Lucky you might say ?

She died 2 days later in a car crash. Go figure. :)

Yeah i too am a believe in that however i am also a firm believer in trying to limit the chances of dying that you give yourself/myself by not putting yourself/myself in certain positions that increase my chances of dying, like allowing a 2.5m King Cobra to live under my House..... :D

So my snake is a green pit viper and very poisonous or a golden tree snake, which is either mildly poisonous or not poisonous at all.

I guess the only way to really know is to let it bite me.

I'll post the result.

By the way, I see photos online of Chrysopelea ornata where it is being held in someone's hand. The picture was taken, obviously, before they were fatally bitten....

definitely NOT a viper. wrong colour, wrong shape.

H2oDunc:
I have got some herbal snake repellent for the house...

This I gotta hear about...

I was told sprinkling lime around the house works, tried it anyhow and nothing to report so maybe that is a good thing. Also lemon grass (duly planted) according to a Thai lady who swore by it. But I am not sure if this is all old wifes tales of course. Herbal have never heard of, so i wait to hear..

It is common amongst folklore that there are snake repellants. Lemongrass, cayenne, diesel, magic powder..., etc. Nothing of that works and it has been sold through various snakeoil resellers through hundreds of years. Maybe if you pour Ether, gasoline, ammoniac, etc the fumes would make most living creatures to stay away. Including you....

Sometimes, if a snake escapes in the house, you can use powder, flour, etc and pour out a line to see if the snake has crossed over to a certain area. By that you are reducing the search area. Or you combine it with double sided *duck" tape to catch it. But... you will have to kill the snake afterwards if it get stuck in the tape.

A good recommendation if you think the KC has escaped in to the house and you can´t find it... Because you will most certainly be bitten if you open a cupboard, not prepared that a KC is in there.

H2oDunc:
I have got some herbal snake repellent for the house...

This I gotta hear about...

I was told sprinkling lime around the house works, tried it anyhow and nothing to report so maybe that is a good thing. Also lemon grass (duly planted) according to a Thai lady who swore by it. But I am not sure if this is all old wifes tales of course. Herbal have never heard of, so i wait to hear..

My Father, who lived in remote places of Africa always reckoned that laying sheets of newspaper around the bed before going to sleep would always

let you know when there was a sake a' slithering when they crossed over it. Also if the snakes got past the Daily News they would be seeking warmth amongst the bed incumbents, so it was best not to make rapid movements when encountering a strange bed fellow. (I have been advocating this for years). :):D