Travelling With Handicapped Person

Pink Mist

My Wife is a Carer (she cares for a wheelchair bound Lady).

We are coming back to LOS in May and the Lady wants to come with us, she has become very attached to Catdi ( bonding is a common occurence I am told).

I realise that logistically it presents some huge problems as the chair is motorised and large and cumbersome.

My questions are

1/does anyone know of a car hire company that would have a vehicle suitable for transporting her, it would have to have a chair lifter.

2/ I know bangkok is not really wheel chair friendly and the footpaths challenging, so any suggestions for the more accessable areas in Bkk.

3/ Does Thai airways have the capability to move her and her chair.

I realise that it's not gonna be easy, but we are talking about 1 very determined Lady so if we can keep the posts positive or at least constructive that would be great.

We are coming back to LOS in May and the Lady wants to come with us, she has become very attached to Catdi ( bonding is a common occurence I am told).

I realise that logistically it presents some huge problems as the chair is motorised and large and cumbersome.

My questions are

1/does anyone know of a car hire company that would have a vehicle suitable for transporting her, it would have to have a chair lifter.

2/ I know bangkok is not really wheel chair friendly and the footpaths challenging, so any suggestions for the more accessable areas in Bkk.

I realise that it's not gonna be easy, but we are talking about 1 very determined Lady so if we can keep the posts positive or at least constructive that would be great.

Seems to me your biggest obstacle is using a motorized wheelchair, not so much because of the weight, but because of it's being unable to fold up for easy stashing... Doubtfull that you could even get it on a plane without it going down in the luggage bays... Airlines have their own wheelchair that fits in the aisles, and they will take your collapseable chair inside the plane and store it for you for easy use when disembarking

As for a vehicle with a chair lift in Thailand, good luck, A search might get something, but it'd be just by luck, I feel sure. The only thing I can think of here is a commercial truck with a cargo lift... Or, maybe rent a Pickup and stash the chair in the (open) back, and stash the lady inside via some strong arms ..

If she can use a regular chair for travelling, then no sweat. I also use a wheelchair, and I've never had any real problems with mobility with it here. Everyone will go out of their way to help if needed, in my experience. And any rental van can take her and the chair easily. I drive a 4-door Isuzu truck, and I can stash the chair in the back seat, or inside the 'carryboy' (camper shell on the back)

Good luck :o

Edited by Ajarn

My questions are

Seems to me your biggest obstacle is using a motorized wheelchair, not so much because of the weight, but because of it's being unable to fold up for easy stashing... Doubtfull that you could even get it on a plane without it going down in the luggage bays... Airlines have their own wheelchair that fits in the aisles, and they will take your collapseable chair inside the plane and store it for you for easy use when disembarking

As for a vehicle with a chair lift in Thailand, good luck, A search might get something, but it'd be just by luck, I feel sure. The only thing I can think of here is a commercial truck with a cargo lift... Or, maybe rent a Pickup and stash the chair in the (open) back, and stash the lady inside via some strong arms ..

If she can use a regular chair for travelling, then no sweat. I also use a wheelchair, and I've never had any real problems with mobility with it here. Everyone will go out of their way to help if needed, in my experience. And any rental van can take her and the chair easily. I drive a 4-door Isuzu truck, and I can stash the chair in the back seat, or inside the 'carryboy' (camper shell on the back)

Good luck :o

Ajarn

I had read this post and had considered giving my thoughts and opinions but hesitated after realizing that my views would not be from a 'mobility challenged' aspect (not counting those late night meanderings after pub crawling). Now I can see that what I had intended to say would have been well off the mark. Thanks for setting me straight. You are much more qualified to give advise regarding this subject. Carry on

Keep on travelin" Bronco, you can't keep a good man (or woman) down

Sometimes it is better to keep the mouth shut and make them wonder than it is to open it and confirm.

thanks so far for the advice, the electric stays here and she has a push one coming with her.

good idea about the van I guess we can manage to move a smallish woman in and out of it, my trouble is I'm not experienced in dealing with mobility challenged people, but as time goes by am learning.

She also wants to bring a shower chair, but would they be available in LOS? easier I think.

am trying to think of some of the accessable areas in Bkk, we will overnight there probably, any ideas??

Here is a link to a chatroom that my friend SITNSEG participates in. If you care to discuss traveling in a wheelchair, he has loads of experience.

http://draft.cc/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=...Forum&ForumID=1

Pictures here:

http://draft.cc/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=50

I have a Segway rental shop in Bangkok.

I know quite a few folks that are using Segways for mobility devices.

Stop by my office on Soi Nana for a free demonstration.

thanks so far for the advice, the electric stays here and she has a push one coming with her.

good idea about the van I guess we can manage to move a smallish woman in and out of it, my trouble is I'm not experienced in dealing with mobility challenged people, but as time goes by am learning.

She also wants to bring a shower chair, but would they be available in LOS? easier I think.

am trying to think of some of the accessable areas in Bkk, we will overnight there probably, any ideas??

Here is your best bet for housing in Bkk. It's the only place I would ever stay in Bkk, and it is wonderful for any disabled person to stay there. Feels like a hotel, but with all the hospital services... Not expensive either.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/en/inter/apartments.asp

The shower chair she referred to is actually a 'potty chair' for adults, and it has wheels for moving around. It can fit in a shower that is big enough for a wheelchair. Bumrungrad's are big enough, and they will have those chairs, or you can simply put the whole wheelchair in, like I do.

Outside of Bkk is a bit trickier, but doable. The bathrooms often won't take a chair, but some can fit one in, but not close enough to shower.. In those cases, I use a bucket and scoop the warm water out of that to wash with. No sweat.

The scooter idea might be good, but I've never tried them. They seem mostly suitable for malls and other places with smooth floors. I'm not so sure I'd want one in one the streets, due to their top-heavy nature, it seems. If there is enough ballast in the form of batteries to make it more bottom heavy, then I'd wonder how heavy the scooter would be, and it's practicality for travelling, since it would require the same lifting as a wheelchair when being stored, etc.

If you need it, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find someone willing to travel with you as a wheelchair helper, but you'll see that it's not too difficult to move a small woman around, or lift her. When traveling, if you need help, just ask. I guarantee you that will get whatever help you need from bystanders. I'm actually pretty independent, but when I'm in public, I always notice plenty of volunteers standing around ready to help. If you do ask for help in moving her, be extremely specific in your instructions. Tell the exactly what to do, step by step. Your only real chance for misshap can happen at these times, in my experience.

Have a great trip :o

I would not recommend a novice rider take a Segway into Bangkok traffic although the average speed of Bangkok traffic is only 5kph.

I do find it a major convienence for running those errands that are a bit to far to walk but inconvienent to take a car.

The weight of the larger model is 35 k so it can be tossed in a trunk or back seat if you have a strong back handy.

Without question, it is a super option for some disabled. My friend comes here 3 times a year and always brings his.

By the way, we don't sell or rent out our Segways.

Our Segways are only available for our 90 minute guided rides in a very quiet area at the end of Soi Nana, visiting a Park, Temple, and Fresh Market.

Anyone reading this is welcome to stop in for a free demonstration.

Jeff

Thailandsegwaytours.com

I would not recommend a novice rider take a Segway into Bangkok traffic although the average speed of Bangkok traffic is only 5kph.

I do find it a major convienence for running those  errands that are a bit to far to walk but inconvienent to take a car.

The weight of the larger model is 35 k so it can be tossed in a trunk or back seat if you have a strong back handy.

Without question, it is a super option for some disabled. My friend comes here 3 times a year and always brings his.

By the way, we don't sell or rent out our Segways.

Our Segways are only available for our 90 minute guided rides in a very quiet area at the end of Soi Nana, visiting a Park, Temple, and Fresh Market.

Anyone reading this is welcome to stop in for a free demonstration.

Jeff

Thailandsegwaytours.com

Jeff, how do riders stay balanced? It looks like it would dump you on your ass/face in a flash :o

Dean Kamen and some engineers spent 10 years and 100 million on development of the Segway.

Dean Kamen is genius that has some incredible devices coming out of his invention factory in New hampshire.Mostly medical equipment such as the Heart Stent. Drug pumps used by hospital everywhere and a portable Kidney dialisys machine to name a few. His biography is available for download on the web somewhere if interested.

He first developed the IBOT Wheelchair that is self balancing and climbs stairs with ease. The Segway personal transporter borrowed alot of that technology.

Some pretty fantastic engineering keeps the Segway platform level at all times.

5 gyroscopes, 10 microprocessors, software, tilt sensors , precision motors with backup systems for rider safety all jammed into a space the size of a laptop(the platform).

A very rugged machine that goes 20k on a 2 baht charge, non polluting and zero maintenence required.

A rider takes no more room on a sidewalk than a pedestrian.

I predict, small, personal electric transporters will be common in the near future.

PICTURE OF THE SEGWAYS HERE:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/youngjarvis/...m/ph//my_photos

My questions are

My questions are