Beware:internet dating scams

chenposeb

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, also, hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this, but just trying to save anyone else some heartache, but my sister-in-law just had a pretty upsetting hoax.

Someone calling themself Ben with the email **email removed per forum rules**

He had been playing my sister-in-law with the marriage hoax and sent her emails every day, even chatted to her on msn. He was stringing her along for a long time with many sweet words and to someone not English, he seemed pretty genuinely English.

Then yesterday the email came through from " ADAX WORLD WIDE COURIER & CARGO EXPRESS " now the email was obviously a hoax/scam to me as soon as I saw it, demanding money for a package held in Malaysia, but to an innocent Isaan girl who had been spending most of her cash talking to this dude in the hope it was genuine it seemed real. She had even told our parents about the wedding and so word gets round the village and..blah blah..you know the story.

Just to warn anyone who may have family in a similar position to warn them or to any thai girls who may have come across this guy. There really isn't a gold rolex, a laptop, and $4,500 waiting for you in Malaysia.

I would post a pic of this guy, but it was probably fake also.

Please advise if in wrong section or violation of rules, but I feel there has to be some kind of warning against this guy as I doubt my sister-in-law is the only girl he is stringing along.

Hi chenposb,

Sadly i read this kind of story already here in Thaivisa. I think its a group of people going under different names, so posting the name and pic isnt relevant. Glad your sister did not fall for the hoax, but sorry that it happened to her. Thank you for posting the warning.

Do I read this correct?Announcing a marriage to a man your sister or anyone in your family had ever seen.

It didn't have anything to do with money did it?If it was me I would be really ashamed to let people on this forum know my morality's.

basjke, there are a lot of legitimate dating sites, where the woman is looking for a marriage partner. So, they take time to correspond to see if they are compatible/like each other, before meeting up. It seems that some people who wish to scam, will get to know the person over a bit of time, then thats when the special delivery thing comes in. The lady, thinking the man has sent her a gift, falls for the scam (or hopefully not). Hope that helps you understand better.

basjke, there are a lot of legitimate dating sites, where the woman is looking for a marriage partner. So, they take time to correspond to see if they are compatible/like each other, before meeting up. It seems that some people who wish to scam, will get to know the person over a bit of time, then thats when the special delivery thing comes in. The lady, thinking the man has sent her a gift, falls for the scam (or hopefully not). Hope that helps you understand better.

I think there is a huge difference between looking for a marriage partner and announcing a marriage like happened in the OP case.

I think there is a huge difference between looking for a marriage partner and announcing a marriage like happened in the OP case.

She had actually met him through a legit dating site, the correspondance had been going on for at least 3 months and only recently did he speak of marriage to her. She had spoken to him on messenger also many times. She was excited at the idea of being married, especially since I married my wife (her sister) and we met on the internet a few years ago and we have a happy marriage. She was kind of thinking she could do the same. It is more complicated than the situation, although it is not about our situation... I am writing the post to warn others. Not asking for a judgement on the situation...peace

Scam abound all over the Internet, just had to deal with one myself today(see thread)Anyway glad you were able to clue the SIL(sister-in-law) before she got in to deep a few tears down better than crying a river over a deep lost later :):D

She had actually met him through a legit dating site, the correspondance had been going on for at least 3 months and only recently did he speak of marriage to her. She had spoken to him on messenger also many times. She was excited at the idea of being married, especially since I married my wife (her sister) and we met on the internet a few years ago and we have a happy marriage. She was kind of thinking she could do the same. It is more complicated than the situation, although it is not about our situation... I am writing the post to warn others. Not asking for a judgement on the situation...peace

So you and your wife also agreed to marry before you actually met each other?

I'm sure your marriage must be built on love then.

Thankyou :)

OP

Can you clarify the linkage between your sister in laws suitor and the scam e-mail - is he mentioned somewhere in the scam e-mail. The reason I ask is I am sure I have seen a similar scam e-mail myself - the courier name rings a bell.

Orac

basjke, you have to love it.

sounds like the guy may have been lucky to escape without being scammed for sin sot, gold, buffaloes and God knows what, poor man will never know what a lucky escape he had.

I understand what you mean, a reversal from the usual being played story in LOS (I just got a message from a friend of mine who now calls it LO phony S's), but it's nothing to love. Poor girl. The first step in saving the planet is to destroy all digital technology except music and movies made before 1962.

OP

Can you clarify the linkage between your sister in laws suitor and the scam e-mail - is he mentioned somewhere in the scam e-mail. The reason I ask is I am sure I have seen a similar scam e-mail myself - the courier name rings a bell.

Orac

I agree, I also have seen that particular email scam, plus a whole host of similar ones, many times. But it's not clear to me either from the OP's post what links the two events and it may be important. Can the OP explain, please?

Dont mean to go off-topic too much, but I think many people meet these days through the net. I agree that arranging marriage before actually meeting in person isnt the norm and I personally think that one is a good idea, but I dont see anything wrong with initially getting to know someone via msn, webcam, skype etc. I know of several couples who are going strong after getting to know each other over time online (most from same cultural background).

Edited by eek

Dont mean to go off-topic too much, but I think many people meet these days through the net. I agree that arranging marriage before actually meeting in person isnt the norm and I personally think that one is a good idea, but I dont see anything wrong with initially getting to know someone via msn, webcam, skype etc. I know of several couples who are going strong after getting to know each other over time online (most from same cultural background).

I agree with you, eek. Many people are too shy to meet in the normal places. And, to travel alone from some small farming community to a strange city might be intimidating for a young woman. I know many people who have met on dating services off the internet. Some have blossomed into great marriages. If I didn't travel to Thailand each winter there are not many women I could meet through my own interests in the outdoors. In Thailand I could be married within a week if I wanted to. And, I don't mean to a bar girl. The internet allows one to go slowly and without making commitments.

In the sad case of the young women mentioned in the OP it really is too bad she was misled. It ruins it for her trying again.

Umm not sureabout you but I would say starting a relationship with communication before meeting in person is a veryvalid way of meeting someone. you need to open your mind. relationships are all a crap shoot anyway but if your gonna win you have to roll the dice.

also just a fyi there are parts of the world where you dont meet your spouse until your wedding day. or if you meet them it is for a very short period of time.

my friend's email account got hacked into and the hackers or whoever had sent an email to his whole address book similar to what you are talking about here. You should make sure that it was really THAT GUY that sent the email before placing blame. It is possible that someone has hacked into his email.

just sayin..

Edited by ihunnieibee