Molasses Or Cane Syrup Available?

kjun12

I got my molasses at Villa, but that was a long time ago. It seems to me that cane syrup, golden syrup, and corn syrup should all be interchangeable, and I have seen corn syrup in Villa also. Whether they have it now I do not know.

Edited by cathyy

It's funny I'm looking for molasses as well, though not in BKK. I discovered that Thai use it for fertilizer and call it "Gak Nam Tan". Though I'm quite reluctant to eat anything sold at along side ammonium nitrate.... YIKES!

Maybe Villa would be a better source?

Understanding Molasses

Do you know the difference between types of molasses? We often hear the term "blackstrap molasses," but what does that mean?

The quality of molasses depends on the maturity of the sugar cane, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction. There are three major types of molasses: unsulphured, sulphured and blackstrap.

Unsulphured molasses is the finest quality. It is made from the juice of sun-ripened cane and the juice is clarified and concentrated.

Sulphured molasses is made from green sugar cane that has not matured long enough and treated with sulphur fumes during the sugar extracting process. Molasses from the first boiling is the finest grade because only a small amount of sugar has been removed. The second boil molasses takes on a darker color, is less sweet and has a more pronounced flavor.

Blackstrap molasses is from the third boil and only has a commercial value in the manufacture of cattle feed and other industrial uses.

(Editor's Note: We received this e-mail:

You should do a little research before making comments like you do about blackstrap molasses. It is used within the health industry because it is natural and high in Iron and other minerals with a very little sugar. It is what is left when molasses is made. Many fine HUMAN product contain blackstrap molasses. You do the industry harm by saying that it is used for animal feed only.... It was from Ron

We stand corrected. We do realize that many people use blackstrap molasses for the concentrated iron content. It has a very strong flavor. It is usually available at health food stores. The main use for the majority of blackstrap molasses is in the manufacturing of commercial cattle feed.

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/molasse.htm

Understanding Molasses

Do you know the difference between types of molasses? We often hear the term "blackstrap molasses," but what does that mean?

The quality of molasses depends on the maturity of the sugar cane, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction. There are three major types of molasses: unsulphured, sulphured and blackstrap.

Unsulphured molasses is the finest quality. It is made from the juice of sun-ripened cane and the juice is clarified and concentrated.

Sulphured molasses is made from green sugar cane that has not matured long enough and treated with sulphur fumes during the sugar extracting process. Molasses from the first boiling is the finest grade because only a small amount of sugar has been removed. The second boil molasses takes on a darker color, is less sweet and has a more pronounced flavor.

Blackstrap molasses is from the third boil and only has a commercial value in the manufacture of cattle feed and other industrial uses.

(Editor's Note: We received this e-mail:

You should do a little research before making comments like you do about blackstrap molasses. It is used within the health industry because it is natural and high in Iron and other minerals with a very little sugar. It is what is left when molasses is made. Many fine HUMAN product contain blackstrap molasses. You do the industry harm by saying that it is used for animal feed only.... It was from Ron

We stand corrected. We do realize that many people use blackstrap molasses for the concentrated iron content. It has a very strong flavor. It is usually available at health food stores. The main use for the majority of blackstrap molasses is in the manufacturing of commercial cattle feed.

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/molasse.htm

I have seen unsulphured organic molasses for sale at Rim Ping for a bottle that looked like it might be more than a liter but how much more I can't say. It cost 500 baht. I have also ordered and received molasses from a place called BBI in Bangkok. I got a gallon and I think the cost was 300 baht plus 40 baht for shipping. It didn't say whether or not it was unsulphured and I haven't tasted it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the same stuff I was advised to use for my Septic tank to encourage the forming of bacteria and get rid of the smell.

The version I bought ( as recommended ) was very cheap as I recall and came in a litre bottle.

marshbags :D:)

• 5 weeks later...

I ordered molasses from BBI in Bangkok and to my taste, at least, it was inedible. I'm assuming this is the class of molasses that ordinarily is given to cattle. Rim Ping in Chiang Mai briefly had Grandma's molasses in stock which is to my taste, and lots of cookbook authors, the molasses of choice to use in baking. I haven't tried the organic kind that Rim Ping is carrying.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 11 years later...

I found this in Rimping Chiang Mai, cost about 60bht for the jar.

As far as I can tell it's molasses ....... but at least the Thai name may help you.

Worked a treat in Malt loaf.

IMG_20210420_201906.jpg

Holy poop, who revived an 11 year old thread!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1