Thai Public Tv Is Trash!

george

TV is trash!

Public TV schedules clogged with mindless entertainment and adverts, says survey. Watchdogs seek change

Trashy shows and too many advertisements are dragging down the quality of free TV channels, according to a survey by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

Tharm Chuasatapanasiri of the Foundation's media moniฌtoring group said yesterday that Channel 3 and Channel 7 are dominated by entertainment programmes. Of their total airtime, Channel 7 devotes more than half (55.3 per cent) to entertainment shows, while Channel 3 devotes 46.7 per cent, the study reports. Channel 3 has the most soap operas, at 7.5 hours a day.

"Channel 5 has the least news content — five hours a day, while ModernNine has cut programmes regarded as of useful content from 3,579 to 2,059 minutes per week," Tharm said.

Though Channel 7 has pumped its news content up to as much as 500 minutes per week, it runs adverts for almost three hours a day and cartoons for one hour.

Channel 5 gives more than 86 hours of its schedule to socalled "magazine" shows (variety shows), says the study. Reality shows get an average of 35 minutes per day on free TV channels.

Celebrityobsessed

The survey was conducted on every free channel, including Channel 3, 5 and 7, ModernNine, NBT and Thai TV from February to April this year.

The survey concluded that Channel 3, 5 and 7 did not have enough programmes promoting Thai culture. The focus of entertainment shows also came in for criticism.

"Entertainmentnews shows tend to focus on celebrities' personal life - love affairs, scandals and quarrels - rather than the value of their work," said Tharm.

"There are very few shows presenting social development in Thailand. Government agencies should get together with the free channels to improve programming quality," he added.

Anyaorn Panichpuengrat, leader of the Family Network Foundation mediawatchdog, said the government needed to take more serious action on this issue by funding creative programmemakers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-11

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TV is trash!

...Trashy shows and too many advertisements are dragging down the quality of free TV channels, according to a survey by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation...

Keep the people dumb and give them bread and games. Already known in ancient Rome. The best way to gain power and control.

oh my, I hope the execs don't cut back on the katoy entertainment shows, with men dressed as women screaming at each other.

....and please, for my girlfriend's sake, please don't cut back on the women crying and screaming on TV soaps. She might have to resort to reading books, and that would cost money (guess who would have to buy the books) and it's tiring for her to focus on reading the words (she told me that, really) - so it's cheaper for me if she watches free TV - and plus, she likes it.

I thought Aussie soaps were moronic until I came to Thailand. Don't wanna bring out the IQ argument again, but really, how mentally challenged do you have to be to get enjoyment out of Thai soaps.

Did you notice almost all Thai soaps have only 4 main characters?

1. The beautiful young heroine, dove-eyed, and love-sick.
  2. The handsome young man, for some reason, always in a hospital bed.
  3. The angry middle-aged father who is always slapping around his...
  4. ...bitchy middle-aged wife.

Conflict between character #2 and #3 is always a given, as is between #1 and #4.

All the soaps: Same, same. Not different.

I would say it's not confined to Thailand. If people escapism it's OK with me... I will just get on with my life. I have 72 channels and the TV is usually off. When it's on, most of the time in the background.

Does Thailand have any 'old time' radio shows?

The tradition has died down in the States - from it's heyday in the years before the advent of TV (1950's). Yet it's still alive there, particularly in the form of Garrison Keilor's "Prairie Home Companion" which is an excellent entertainment show carried By the US's NPR. There are other 'old time radio' shows in the States, such as commercial-free station KVMR (kvmr.org) from my home town in northern California - which has 50 to 60 volunteer DJ's in their pool, and the variety of venues is awesome. Some shows are hosted by 13 year olds, others by octogenerians. There are a slew of other such radio formats cropping up in the States, and perhaps in Europe also.

Could something similar happen in Thailand? Highly doubtful, as Thais are so eager to follow the mainstream of 'modern' trends they see from Japan, Korea, China, The US, Europe, etc.

Yet good quality radio programs, particularly with storytelling, can be entertaining as well as educational. The range of potential subject matter is staggering. From world music, interviews, cooking shows, history, news, debates, live concerts, comedy routines. Even classified ads, and how-to or fix-it shows, with listener call-ins can be implemented. NPR's "CAR TALK' is a shining example.

From what little Public TV I watch I must say that I totally concur, but it's a supply and demand thing, many Thai people seem to love it, so the power that be keep bring it to them, and the public is buying the sponsors products so the public at large is getting what it pay for. :):D:D

I thought Aussie soaps were moronic until I came to Thailand. Don't wanna bring out the IQ argument again, but really, how mentally challenged do you have to be to get enjoyment out of Thai soaps.

Conflict between character #2 and #3 is always a given, as is between #1 and #4.

You forgot the good looking but slightly hard faced lady who hates the young heroine and tries to steal the handsome young man from her.

There is also the quirky gay guy, usually friend of the young heroine and the slightly less good looking but very cute young friend of the young heroine who falls for the not as good looking friend of the handsome young man.

The good looking but slightly hard faced lady(who sticks out her chin like Michael Schumacher whilst deep in thought or when she has been caught out) also has a mother who schemes on her behalf to advance her interests with the handsome young man.

Throw in a trip to Paris, unless it's a historical costume drama, and recycle ad infinitum.

You forgot the good looking but slightly hard faced lady who hates the young heroine and tries to steal the handsome young man from her.

There is also the quirky gay guy, usually friend of the young heroine and the slightly less good looking but very cute young friend of the young heroine who falls for the not as good looking friend of the handsome young man.

The good looking but slightly hard faced lady(who sticks out her chin like Michael Schumacher whilst deep in thought or when she has been caught out) also has a mother who schemes on her behalf to advance her interests with the handsome young man.

Throw in a trip to Paris, unless it's a historical costume drama, and recycle ad infinitum.

sounds like you guys been watching a load of that pap smear.

From what little Public TV I watch I must say that I totally concur, but it's a supply and demand thing, many Thai people seem to love it, so the power that be keep bring it to them, and the public is buying the sponsors products so the public at large is getting what it pay for. :):D:D

And that is the point. The public gets what it wants. And as long as the televisons stations are in profit mode, then they won't air programs pushing Thai culture, as the article seems to suggest, unless people will watch them.

Many people seem to decry the huge number of channels now being offered in many countries via cable or satellite. I think this is great. I happen to like Discovery/National Geo, reality shows, cooking shows, comedy shows such as the Daily Show, CNN/BBC, Mixed martial arts/American football, and a very small number of network series. For my eclectic tastes, the only way to be able to watch the shows I want is with some sort of mass distribution such as satellite--but as offered in most countries, not as offered by TrueVisions.

BUt in the end, my liking to watch "Dirty Jobs" makes me no more nor less superior than any Thai who loves his or her soap opera. It is all just entertainment.

When I first arrived in Thailand I had a (Thai) gf, nice girl, masters degree, government job, etc. Anyway, the first time I saw her watch TV she viewed it so intently that I thought "Has she ever seen a tv before?!?" Of course I knew she had but she appeared as if she were in a trance, she was that absorbed in the program.

Last night I had a burger at Kiss Foods (Not bad considering the price) and the staff was pretty engrosed in a popular series. I happened to catch one girl's eye and gave her a thumbs-up; I joined in the viewing, yuked it up a bit and we all agreed that it was the best series ever.

If you can't beat them... :)

Edited by Lancelot

Prime Time Thai TV is on a Par with Kids TV in the UK, in my opinion..

I always wonder why Brits think their TV is superior. From the samples I've seen, it's as crappy as any other TV.

Americans at least created some truly amazing shows like Lost and Heroes, comparing to that Brits are still in the high school amateur category.

Both Lost and Heroes have lost the plot after first successful seasons, but that's not the point.

BUt in the end, my liking to watch "Dirty Jobs" makes me no more nor less superior than any Thai who loves his or her soap opera. It is all just entertainment.

Mike Rowe is a legend.

As are Jamie and Adam.

Bear Grills is enjoyable until he drinks his own p1ss and eats puss filled worms.

How do they do it? can be interesting.

etc

The screaming woman and crying daughter and abusive father, the camp male and oh so serious handsome Thai man who has never smiled in his life whilst totally over acting is utterly pathetic.

Mind you, this is not only a Thai phenomenon, I think every Asian country I have lived in have the exact same soap opera dross on their TV.

Look at that <deleted> in Singapore with the mole on his cheek, PCK is it?

Say what you like about the Mythbusters, but atleast you can learn and experience whilst watching them 'blow stuff up'

I always wonder why Brits think their TV is superior. From the samples I've seen, it's as crappy as any other TV.

Americans at least created some truly amazing shows like Lost and Heroes, comparing to that Brits are still in the high school amateur category.

Both Lost and Heroes have lost the plot after first successful seasons, but that's not the point.

You have got to be joking

US tv has absolutely nothing over quality BBC productions

Does Thai TV have any travel like shows? Like Australia's Getaway?

Or even the good old Burkes Backyard? shows like Burkes Backyard help to instill a sense of pride in where you live and help motivate one to make improvements.

Give me a home among the gum trees...

With lots a plum trees...

A dog or two and a kangaroo

or something like that.

You missed out the obligatory dwarf or learning disability character as well.

Oh and don't forget the Ghost.

You blaggards!!!!

You have just ruined the plots of Thai soaps for the next 10 years!!

Shame on you.

Does Thailand have any 'old time' radio shows?

The tradition has died down in the States - from it's heyday in the years before the advent of TV (1950's). Yet it's still alive there, particularly in the form of Garrison Keilor's "Prairie Home Companion" which is an excellent entertainment show carried By the US's NPR. There are other 'old time radio' shows in the States, such as commercial-free station KVMR (kvmr.org) from my home town in northern California - which has 50 to 60 volunteer DJ's in their pool, and the variety of venues is awesome. Some shows are hosted by 13 year olds, others by octogenerians. There are a slew of other such radio formats cropping up in the States, and perhaps in Europe also.

Could something similar happen in Thailand? Highly doubtful, as Thais are so eager to follow the mainstream of 'modern' trends they see from Japan, Korea, China, The US, Europe, etc.

Yet good quality radio programs, particularly with storytelling, can be entertaining as well as educational. The range of potential subject matter is staggering. From world music, interviews, cooking shows, history, news, debates, live concerts, comedy routines. Even classified ads, and how-to or fix-it shows, with listener call-ins can be implemented. NPR's "CAR TALK' is a shining example.

I agree. There are some great radio stations. I listen to BBC on line most of the time and there are some great schedules:

Radio 1 popular music (mainly for the younger brigade).

Radio 2 apparently one of the most listened to stations in the world. Popular middle of the road music interspersed with interviwes and chats and some excellent DJs.

Radio 3 classical music.

Redio 4 News and debates and the arts and some very good comedy shows (much better on the radio - leaves more to the imagination)

Redio 5 All news and sports although, sadly due to their licensing agreements they can't do live sports commentaries.

Just go to www.bbc.com

Recommend you give it a try - great escape from all the crappy TV and you can do other things while you're listening

US tv has absolutely nothing over quality BBC productions

I'll give it another try. What would you recommend?

When BBC entertainment on True was free before the official launch, it was dreadful, in my opinion.

I can't think of any Brit show that has made any acceptance outside their own borders in recent years, and I don't mean game shows like "who wants to me millionaire" or the "weakest link". I can't stand them as a matter of principle.

tv is so much better than UK tv... for lots of reasons, a couple being;

1. can't understand a word they are saying so i don't have to listen to a load of rubbish

2. the thai ladies are much more attractive than the ladies in the UK (not all of them, but most)

3. tv sucks anyway... go outside and enjoy