Thai Govt To Publicise Its Six-month Success

george

Deeep down most Thais are profoundly sane and well balanced.

That's why they are not buying red propaganda.

Will PAD party make any progress in changing the politics?

>>>

And will you please let go of Orwell? He imagined life in 1984, and that was twenty five years ago. Big Brother has got a lot more sophisticated than that, he has read the prophecy and adjusted.

And will you please stop quoting Churchil either - "democracy is the worst system...." Time to move on already, the world has changed dramatically.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather like Orwell's observation that Britain could never be fascist because the population would laugh at the jackboot marching style.

There were many varieties of marching styles in Germany. If you watch Riefenstal's 'Triumph of the Will' during the march past, you'll see that the only brigade that goose-steps is 'SS Leibstandarte Adolph Hitler'.

How big a trauma you are talking about?

Say ten million purged? Or would one million be enough? Where do you proposed to build re-education camps for them?

Trauma's the wrong word I agree, but a big shake up needed certainly.

No purges, no re-education camps, no violence.

But I'm guessing a sudden convulsion won't happen.Real question is how smart the elite will be because with savvy it could retain most of its wealth and influence.

We can learn from other countries experiences.History has two main lessons:

1.Everything will be changed beyond recognition

2.Everything will in essence stay the same

Whatever happens there will never be a monolithic authoritarian Thailand.Rather like Orwell's observation that Britain could never be fascist because the population would laugh at the jackboot marching style.Deeep down most Thais are profoundly sane and well balanced.

Factor in age with the "elite". Right now seniority rules but that means in a deacde most will be gone and replaced by younger ones - who will still be old but of a different generation. Something as simple as that alone could be a game changer. The elite have their own cliques, divides etc and a few deaths could change a lot.

And will you please let go of Orwell? He imagined life in 1984, and that was twenty five years ago. Big Brother has got a lot more sophisticated than that, he has read the prophecy and adjusted.

And will you please stop quoting Churchil either - "democracy is the worst system...." Time to move on already, the world has changed dramatically.

I have never quoted Churchill's comment on democracy, not because it isn't pertinent (it is) but because it's such a tired cliche.

If you think Orwell is somehow irrelevant to the modern world you either haven't understood him or haven't read him.How one longs for that crystal spirit to comment on the horrors and absurdities of the age we live in.

I have never quoted Churchill's comment on democracy, not because it isn't pertinent (it is) but because it's such a tired cliche.

If you think Orwell is somehow irrelevant to the modern world you either haven't understood him or haven't read him.How one longs for that crystal spirit to comment on the horrors and absurdities of the age we live in.

jesus !!! would moderators please do something about the hijacking of this topic. there must be a thread where hypothesizing, postulating and philosophy can take place...this is not it. how did we even get here ?

nor should it be about taksin and his performance 3 years ago. that has been done to death. but if you still need to vent, there are plenty of threads out there.

why cant we talk about the current administration and their first 6 months in power ? i would have thought that their supporters (and thus TRT/PPP etc. detractors) would relish the opportunity to show off how it should be done. the policies they have introduced that:

• have reconciled the nation
  • have brought meaningful opportunities to the poor
  • have shored up Thailand's economic situation
  • have bridged the wealth gap
  • have created jobs
  • have brought peace to the south
  • have ended corruption
  • etc

have reconciled the nation

- yes, now everyone thinks reds are idiots

have brought meaningful opportunities to the poor

have shored up Thailand's economic situation

have bridged the wealth gap

- six months is far too short a period for any of that

have created jobs

- I believe the labour market situation is not as bad as was predicted

have brought peace to the south

- not enough time for that

have ended corruption

- see how his main coalition partner can't get their corrupt projects off the ground, from rice and tapioca sale to NGV buses

have reconciled the nation

- yes, now everyone thinks reds are idiots

have brought meaningful opportunities to the poor

have shored up Thailand's economic situation

have bridged the wealth gap

- six months is far too short a period for any of that

have created jobs

- I believe the labour market situation is not as bad as was predicted

have brought peace to the south

- not enough time for that

have ended corruption

- see how his main coalition partner can't get their corrupt projects off the ground, from rice and tapioca sale to NGV buses

you are right of course, we set the bar too high. i guess no one gave any real thought to the rhetoric the PAD had been spouting...they were just the tool to the big office. things like national reconciliation and the wealth gap are simply issues to lure the suckers in.

but i will say one thing before this thread dies inevitably. it's easy to criticise.

PAD has the point, rhetoric or not - under current political system it's impossible to have govt working for the benefit of people.

Even Democrats can't avoid making shady deals with the likes of Newin, and it's not like Newin doesn't have a legitimate reason, too - he needs to wrestle Isan from Thaksin in the next elections, and so he needs serious funds.

Democrats are less reliant on govt budget to finance their campaign, thanks to all the years in opposition, but the fact still stays - politicians need to steal to stay in politics, or need to borrow and then repay favours.

The whole system, including elections, is all set from the start to breed corruption, and at the moment only the PAD who try to raise public awareness of that.

PAD has the point, rhetoric or not - under current political system it's impossible to have govt working for the benefit of people.

Even Democrats can't avoid making shady deals with the likes of Newin, and it's not like Newin doesn't have a legitimate reason, too - he needs to wrestle Isan from Thaksin in the next elections, and so he needs serious funds.

Democrats are less reliant on govt budget to finance their campaign, thanks to all the years in opposition, but the fact still stays - politicians need to steal to stay in politics, or need to borrow and then repay favours.

The whole system, including elections, is all set from the start to breed corruption, and at the moment only the PAD who try to raise public awareness of that.

Recommend a full read of this Avudh piece in the Nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/06/16...cs_30105236.php

Oddly enough it seems to gel well with Plus comments on the system

There was an article by Abhisit himself a couple of years ago where he discussed various problems with financing politics, it doesn't look pretty, whichever way people vote.

Also corruption is a by-product of a poorly designed system, until the flaws are corrected, we will all be watching a fight with the symptoms, not the disease itself.

Bangkok Poll: Majority unsatisfied with Govt

BANGKOK, 22 June 2009 (NNT) - Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has gained 4.06 points out of 10, according to the latest opinion survey by the Bangkok University Research Center.

The Bangkok Poll conducted on people’s opinions towards the Abhisit led government after its 6 months in office showed that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was given 4.06 points out of 10, decreasing 1.36 points from his first month or about 13.6 percent. The government gained the highest score on its work in international relations at 4.58 points out of 10 while receiving 4.13 points for social issues and 3.95 points for economic affairs.

Meanwhile, on the overall performance, the ruling Democrat Party was rated 4.38 points while its coalition parties gained 3.40 points, and the opposition parties got 3.46 points. The majority of respondents were most suspicious of corruption activities within the Ministry of Transport, followed by the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives.

The majority, or 64.5 percent expected the government to remain in office for more than a year. The other 35.5 percent thought differently due to the unresolved conflicts among coalition partners, unacceptable performance and corruption problems.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 22 June 2009

article here

Thaksin Smaksin, as they say in Yiddish.Ain't you sick of him

Sure I am.

But we are always reminded that the majority wants him back. We have another mass this weekend when worshippers from all over the country will gather and Sanam Luang and chant their mantras.

a cleansing trauma may still be just what's needed in Thailand

How big a trauma you are talking about?

Say ten million purged? Or would one million be enough? Where do you proposed to build re-education camps for them?

>>>

It isn't a very smart proposal, you know.

This proposal is much nearer to the PAD aim of educating the part of the population that voted for Thaksin. Sorry that you should have used such an hysterical term without realising it was an aim of your own party.

4 out of ten approval rating, a real hammering in a by election and still, no sniff of a success story. All this after attempts to brainwash the country and turn them against Thaksin.

Sorry guys but if they are not as popular as Thaksin now... they really never are going to be. I think perhaps you may be in the wrong country if your views are so at odds with the populations. Thats the wider population, not the PAD supporting falangs of Thailand population :)

PS, SRJ has frantically been cut and pasting articles from BPost and Nation that seek to harm Thaksin. Why was he caught napping here?

Thanks Hagenvontronje.

Edited by grandpops

'Corruption today beyond belief' - Arthit

Published on June 22, 2009

The former deputy leader of the Democrat Party, Arthit Ourairat, has spoken out about troubles he sees for the current ruling party. In an interview with The Nation's Somroutai Sapsomboon, Arthit said his former party was being too lenient on its coalition partners. He said corruption was widespread and he urged the Democrats to no longer tolerate "things that are wrong".

As a former Democrat, how do you see the government today - especially given the fact that the Democrat Party is seen as yielding too much to coalition partners? Is it against its nature?

We must look at how the coalition was formed. It was well known that the influence came from many sides. In principle, the government was formed to administer the country for the benefit of the nation, so the policies of those who came in to administer had to go hand in hand. But the outstanding feature of this government is that its coalition partners do not share a similar ideology.

If they say they want a government that can see to it that the country can move forward, then they must not stumble and must make sure that they achieve their objective. But the two- or three-party coalition that we see cannot go along with one another. Each [party] may claim to be working for the benefit of the people but in reality [the members of] each are after their own interests and those of their peers. Working for the benefit of the people is just a slogan.

An example we see to day is the sharing of budget and loan money, which, when one looks at it, doesn't appear to be for the benefit of the public, but reflects more of what [Thais] call "division of the cake".

My view is that it's better not to have this kind of coalition. But they claim this is for the survival of the nation, and that we must bear with whatever they do and must compromise and make sure that the government doesn't collapse. It's like the Democrat Party is trying to sail the government through, but others [in the coalition] do not share the sentiment and want whatever they wish.

I tried to analyse it fairly to see if what they're doing is for the nation or not, but it's unclear. There are other issues that are clearer than the issue of national interest.

What should the Democrat Party do?

Adhere to principles and don't look at short-term [gain]. Look into the future too. When they have the chance [to become government] they must dare to take decisions on things that require decisive action - such as the bus loan project. They should have been firm on the matter, but instead kicked the ball further away without shooting it [down].

Why did they dare not decide?

I don't know.

It seems as if corruption is quite pervasive at the moment.

More pervasive beyond belief. I think the quality of politicians today is getting worse. The motive in becoming a politician is worse. It's clearer and clearer that they are [in politics] for power and benefits.

In the past, illegally extracting 5 to 10 per cent [of project cost] was done very discreetly and without evidence. Today they have got no shame. They just spell out how much and do it in such a way that others will know without being perturbed. Some [politicians] banned by the Constitution Court still engage in politics without care and even become government managers and are openly involved in the management of party interests.

Why? Is it because we're in a time of political crisis?

No. Political crisis is not the problem.

Society at large contains evil, to which people pay no attention. Society accepts [corruption]. It's severe and widespread, nationwide and not just in the political realm. Without "that something extra" no project can succeed. This government should have such problems, but in their wish to keep the government afloat [the Democrats] yield to this and that, such as the provincial [local administrative] budget, under the supervision of the Interior Ministry, which reflects the style of [bhum Jai Thai party] and not that of the Democrats, but the Democrats allowed them to go ahead with it.

On the matter of rice and maize sales, in which [bhum Jai Thai] had problems with deputy premier Korbsak Sabhavasu, the premier appointed Suthep Thaugsuban, who is deputy premier for security, to sort it out - which is not right. This is not a political problem, why should it be resolved through political means when it's a problem of management?

Is Abhisit today a different man to the man you used to know?

He's the same man, but under different circumstances he may be different. He has to ensure the survival of the government and he can't do it alone. He should act quickly and decisively, however. He should have the courage to be straightforward because we no longer have time.

How can he overcome the situation?

If they still only think about survival, or fear to upset [their coalition partners] and fear that they may not join the government again in the future and so they must maintain ties - this is not the right thinking.

You think the Democrats are thinking like that?

That's how I see it.

It's like the image of the Democrats has been tainted.

I don't know. We must ask the majority. But the other day, Rangsit University poll discovered that the government [had] failed in their political and economic [duty]. I didn't expect it to be this bad.

On PAD's new party. There has been report that you will become its leader.

I don't know. What I discussed with the PAD was that if a new party was founded it should be a mass party and everything should come from the suggestions of members from below - be it on policy or personnel - so they can feel that the party belongs to them and not that someone has been pre-chosen as a leader. If [the latter] is the way of choosing a leader, then I won't accept it.

Are you for the creation of the new party?

Thailand should have a party based on ideology like this - a party that is honest and acts for the benefit of the people without seeking self interest. This is the only way to get out of the vicious cycle. But it's going to be difficult.

Though the chances [of success] are slim, it's still a source of hope. There is no other way. I must praise them for rising up to light the fire of patriotism.

What factors may lead to its success?

1. The influence of new versus old politics. Old politics is still much more influential.

2. Electoral rules don't bode well for the growth of new politics. There may be 10 million supporters of new politics but they're spread throughout the country and when district-based elections are held, they may not win any seats at all.

3. As long as vote buying is not eradicated, it will be hard for new politics to succeed.

How do you plan your political future?

I have retired from politics and do not plan to return, although I'm still expressing political views because this is our country and I can't help worrying.

If the situation changes, would you be ready to return to politics?

It depends on what I would return to politics for. If it's the same old politics then I am through. Why then should I have quit in the first place?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation June 22, 2009

PM admits corruption, conflicts hit govt's popularity

Published on June 23, 2009

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Tuesday admitted that conflicts within the coaltions and corruption allegations had led to the government's plunging popularity.

He was responding to Bangkok poll' results that showed the government's poor job approval rating.

"Whenever there are reporters of conflicts and corruption, the public will not accept them. The poll is a warning for every one in the government,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation June 23, 2009

article here

PM: Govt won't stay if unable to work

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 23/06/2009

The government will not try to cling to office if it is not able to effectively perform its duties, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said in an interview after the cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

Asked about the findings of an opinion poll that the government's popularity has dropped, Mr Abhisit said the government would just have to work harder.

He said the government rated poorly because the survey was conducted at a time the situation in the three southern border provinces had become more serious. He also understood well that the people would not tolerate news of conflict and corruption in the government.

... continue here

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 23/06/2009

The Dem Govt has been 'frankly' tasked with being BOTH the lead Govt and opposition all at once - This is due to having to spend more time keeping opportunist NEWIN's fickle friends of Thaksin in line by demanding mere TRANSPARENCY in bus 'schemes' and alcohol ban 'schemes' etc, etc, all started under Mr Thaksin's various 'regimes'. Meanwhile, the long in tooth opposition of Puea Thai/Mr Thaksin's perpetual family/business/party/cronies interests are set on stirring up divisiveness (and 'hoped-for' civil war) resulting in his unth proxy-party spending more time attempting to RIP Thailand apart to re-fill ego and off-shore bank accts (which many here seem to sadly support- but for some, it pays the bills). Parasites especially should know it's NOT wise to kill its dumbed down yet 'cultivated' victims/audience... (but as long as it also pays the bills, generates short-term income ala TV...:)

Edited by baht&sold

Thailand's unemployment up 28% in Q1/09

BANGKOK, June 23 (TNA) - Thailand’s unemployment during the first quarter of this year soared 27.87 per cent from the corresponding period of 2008, a government spokesman said on Tuesday.

The spokesman quoted the National Statistical Office as saying that 780,000 people nationwide were jobless during the first quarter of 2009, up 170,000 from a year ago.

The largest number of unemployed during the first three months this year was in the production sector with 280,000 jobless, followed by the service and trade sector with 190,000 out of work and agriculture with 130,000 people, he said.

The highest unemployment rate was in the southern region where 2.6 per cent of the workforce was unemployed. Bangkok had the lowest unemployment rate at 1.4 per cent during the three-month period. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 23 June 2009

article here

SIDELINES

Abhisit still faces unending, unpleasant surprises

By Sopon Onkgara

The Nation

Published on June 23, 2009

SUDDENLY, there is uncertainty about the stability of the government. A group of senators formerly sympathetic and friendly to the Democrat Party has become hostile and wanted to tear apart the bills designed to borrow loans totalling Bt800 billion for economic rescue measures and nation building.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, frequently on a lecture circuit on key national issues to explain government plans, and on foreign trips to strengthen bilateral relations with close and distant neighbours, might have been somewhat complacent about his command and control ability. His partial success in deflecting the pressure from key coalition partners for lucrative projects could be just temporary.

Surely, they grudgingly wait for the day when they can settle scores, with demand for more compensation when there is a real need to survive future political crises and other adversity.

The devastating defeat of Bhum Jai Thai Party in the Sakon Nakhon by-election at the hands of Pheu Thai Party might have punctured the swelling confidence of Newin Chidchob, who needs to reassess his strength and learn some lessons in modesty. At least, there is a signal that the Newin faction is not yet ready to break with the Democrats, despite their conflicts over benefit sharing.

Pheu Thai's victory just adds one seat for the opposition in the House. It was more a psychological boost for the party for the next general election. It gives the party hope that it can continue to control the poverty-stricken region, despite a challenge from the Newin faction.

The party, which has absolute control over the Northeast, has a strong chance of winning a simple majority in the House. More so, with some allies induced through promises for kickbacks from multimillion-baht projects, stability is quite assured. In the inherent gutter politics like ours, self-serving interests based on fair-sharing usually work better than links through ideologies.

The coalition partners will have to evaluate their respective positions now that there are more variables on the political landscape. Before the vote on Sunday, the Newin faction showed considerable confidence that it would win, with the PR stunts of a team of Cabinet members and key party members on the campaign trail. They hoped to diminish the clout and influence of Thaksin Shinawatra, now in self-imposed exile in Dubai. It was not so. The fugitive's frequent phone-ins to seek support from village leaders still worked as a sacred mantra.

With the by-election victory, Thaksin should feel that all hope of regaining power is not lost despite his present predicament and disgraced status. His grievances, full of self-pity, told through phone-ins to gullible, debt-ridden grass-roots folk obviously worked as a morale booster. That means more political trouble for Abhisit through harassment by red-shirt activists loyal to Thaksin.

There was an extremely unpleasant surprise last week. A group of senators could eventually lose their status if the Constitution Court finds their stock holding in media companies and concessionaires of state-owned entities a violation of the charter. The initial investigation and conclusion by the Election Commission was disturbing, though it was not a unanimous decision.

The sudden hostility of the Senators would complicate matters for Abhisit when he needs cooperation from all quarters for the rescue measures to show positive effects before his popularity and public tolerance run out. He appeared on TV on Sunday with a beseeching message for understanding. He also promised to show transparency in financial and fiscal issues with full clarification.

But another hard blow would come soon when the Election Commission also considers the shareholding of House members, whether they too have violated the charter. Included in the list of MPs are political heavyweights with long years in the House, serving as patrons and kingmakers in their own turfs. If found guilty, they would lose their House membership, though they can still return as Cabinet members if they feel no qualms about political scruples.

The Democrats should feel some pressure if they lose members, making the coalition precarious with a slimmer majority in the House. This would take some time before the Constitutional Court makes a ruling and that can be either for or against the senators and House members depending on the interpretation of the spirit of the law and reality.

What is more disturbing is that there has been no solid achievement on the part of the government in its six months in office. Abhisit has spent more time preventing his coalition partners from pursuing big deals with handsome kickbacks than presiding over the real hard work in keeping the country on the right track. The gruelling fight with the red-shirt activists and thugs has also sapped his strength considerably.

With all the adversity tested and won so far, including two survivals following attempts on his life by political thugs, Abhisit might feel that he has gone through the rite of passage and deserves more time from the public. A bit more patience, maybe, but surely Thaksin would not let slip even a second to hasten the downfall of his younger rival.

nationlogo.jpg

article here

Again, to Thaksin self-serving parasites who cynically seek opportunity in a Thailand demise- ^^ there is this 'little thing called a global economic crisis which may have 'conveniently' eluded some (on the payroll;)...

Also, the Dem Govt has been 'frankly' tasked with being BOTH the lead Govt and opposition all at once - This is due to having to spend more time keeping opportunist NEWIN's fickle friends of Thaksin in line by demanding mere TRANSPARENCY in bus 'schemes' and alcohol ban 'schemes' etc, etc, all started under Mr Thaksin's various 'regimes'. Meanwhile, the long in tooth opposition of Puea Thai/Mr Thaksin's perpetual family/business/party/cronies interests are set on stirring up divisiveness (and 'hoped-for' civil war) resulting in his unth proxy-party spending more time attempting to RIP Thailand apart to re-fill ego and off-shore bank accts (which many here seem to sadly support- but for some, it pays the bills). Parasites especially should know it's NOT wise to kill its dumbed down yet 'cultivated' victims/audience... (but as long as it also pays the bills, and generates short-term income ala here...)

Thailand's Industrial Confidence Index rises slightly in May

BANGKOK, June 23 (TNA) - Although business operators faced rising costs and their earnings declined in May, the nation’s Industrial Confidence Index edged up slightly to 78.5 from 76.3 in April, according to an industry executive.

Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) Chairman Santi Vilassakdanont said the minor improvement of the index was attributed to signs of economic recovery, both in Thailand and abroad, which helped pushed up purchase orders from abroad along with calm domestic politics in May.

Despite the rise, Thailand’s Industrial Confidence Index for May nonetheless still remained below 100, now for 38 consecutive months since April 2006, reflecting that operator confidence remained weak, he said.

A rise in oil prices in May posed a major problem for business operators, while worries in response to the world economic crisis lessened compared to previous months, which could be seen from the positive signs on Thailand’s exports.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-06-23

... parasites ...

... and alcohol ban 'schemes' etc, etc, all started under Mr Thaksin's various 'regimes'. ...Parasites ...

MOPH launches no-drinking campaign for Buddhist Lent Day

BANGKOK, 23 June 2009 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has launched a no-drinking campaign ahead of Buddhist Lent Day after a report indicated an increase in alcohol production.

On the occasion of the upcoming Buddhist Lent Day on July 8, Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodi today held a press conference to officially open an anti-alcohol project in collaboration with the Naval Finance Department. The deputy minister said the project will be promoted throughout the country.

Following a report on an increase in alcohol production to over 303 million liters from last year’s 223 million liters, Mr Manit expressed his concern over the information. He assured that the matter will be proposed to a meeting for preparation of preventive measures against alcohol-related accidents, to be chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban at the Government House on June 25.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 23 June 2009

article here

Again, to Thaksin self-serving parasites who cynically seek opportunity in a Thailand demise- ^^ there is this 'little thing called a global economic crisis which may have 'conveniently' eluded some (on the payroll;)...

Global Crisis Hits Expats' Spending, Savings - Survey

LONDON - Expatriates in over 50 countries around the world have had to alter their spending and saving habits owing to the global credit crisis, a survey from HSBC Bank International showed Wednesday.

Now in its second year, the Expat survey shows that those who now live and work in the U.S., Thailand and South Africa are the most affected by the economic difficulties while those living in the U.S. and U.K. are more likely to be considering returning to their countries of origin.

"As the world continues to undergo a significant economic shift, we are seeing some interesting patterns amongst the expat population, particularly in the changes to their spending habits," said Paul Say, head of marketing and communications for HSBC Bank International.

- Dow Jones Newswires / 2009-06-23

Global Crisis Hits Expats' Spending, Savings - Survey

LONDON - Expatriates in over 50 countries around the world have had to alter their spending and saving habits owing to the global credit crisis, a survey from HSBC Bank International showed Wednesday.

Now in its second year, the Expat survey shows that those who now live and work in the U.S., Thailand and South Africa are the most affected by the economic difficulties while those living in the U.S. and U.K. are more likely to be considering returning to their countries of origin.

"As the world continues to undergo a significant economic shift, we are seeing some interesting patterns amongst the expat population, particularly in the changes to their spending habits," said Paul Say, head of marketing and communications for HSBC Bank International.

- Dow Jones Newswires / 2009-06-23

OT!

how is the weather in Beijing today? sunshine or rain?

and will Abhisit on his way to success anyhow be worried about some expats in Pietermaritzburg or OnNut who run out of money for next schnapps?

To me, the most outstanding "success" of this government must have been the alcohol and tobacco tax rises.

Only a public school twit like Korn could announce in advance that they were going to increase these taxes, then turn a blind eye as the wholesalers and merchant mafia are tipped off as to the exact increase to come and watch in bewilderment as they unleash an orgy of profiteering and spivery at the expense of the ordinary Thai consumer!

For those of you not familiar with the English public school system, it's where filthy rich parents send their offspring to be educated at very exclusive, very expensive fee-paying schools. The offspring emerge with all the money in the world, and all the education that that money can buy, but with not an ounce of common sense between them, hence the phrase "public school twit"!

PM blames poor rating on infighting

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Tuesday that news of the coalition's infighting and suspected irregularities could be blamed for the government's poor performance in the latest survey on its popularity.

However, he also defended his government, saying there are some matters that require more time to be completed and some new projects that the administration has yet to start, while waiting for funds in the new fiscal year.

A survey by Bangkok University about public satisfaction on the government's performance over the past six months found the Abhisit administration received an average score of 4.06 out of 10. The survey was conducted among 1,337 eligible voters in Bangkok from June 16 to 18.

nationlogo.jpg

article here

The offspring emerge with all the money in the world, and all the education that that money can buy, but with not an ounce of common sense between them...

Comparing to who? Graduates from UK government schools? Are we, non-UK posters, supposed to believe that UK elite schools are inferior to their government schools?

What about Oxford degrees? Do those have any value in the UK? 'cos they do in the rest of the world.