Laundry Services That Use "real" Dryers?

NancyL

Yes, it's very cheap to have clothes washed here in Chiang Mai, but the quality has really declined with the onset of rainy season. We used to get our clothes back in a day, but now it's stretched to two, even three days plus the towels are still damp when returned. Like many, our laundry lady dries everything on the line. She doesn't have a proper clothes drying machine. I've used "dryers" in do-it-yourself facilities and found they don't actually have heat -- they just tumble your clothes until they air dry.

Last week I visited Bangkok and spent big baht for a really nice set of towels. In the States, the first thing I'd do with a new set of towels is wash and dry them, often three or four times, to remove lint. Here, I sent them to our laundry lady and they came back three days later, still damp, obviously line dried and full of lint. The final straw was when I found a stain on one towel, a stain that would suggest she's drying them on a rusty bar. I carefully checked them in the store for stains and defects.

I've visited several laundry facilities in our neighborhhood (KSK/Central) and all seem to dry their clothes outdoors. Any suggestions for a laundry that uses "real" drying machines, ones that generate some heat and produce dry fluffy towels, free of lint?

I've used the "search" function looking for recommendations on this forum, to no avail.

There was one before in a shop opposite the university on the southern side about 200 metres from the big canal. A friend of wife was working there and they dried all clothes in dryers as they had no hanging space.

NancyL,

I hesitated to answer with this, as it doesn't exactly fit your parameter of "near Central/KSK".

But I'll offer it anyway.

If you head west on Huay Kaew Rd. towards the mountain, just after crossing Irrigation Canal Rd. (where the Phucome Hotel is) about 100 yards up on the left (south side of the street) is an apt bldg- Lanna 2.

On the ground floor is a laundry that I have used for 3 years. They have a bank of electric washers and dryers out front. They offer a deal which is 100 pieces for 500 B. A king sized bedsheet, or a pair of jeans, or a t-shirt, whatever- 5 B each.

Everything is impeccably washed, dried and ironed.

Get to them by 9 AM or so, get clothes back the same day by 4 or 5 PM, unless they're swamped (like on Monday morning). Closed Sundays, but open 7 AM to 5 PM the rest of the week.

I'm sure there are other places closer to Central, and some no doubt cheaper....but I doubt better than this service.

Hope this helps.

NancyL,

I hesitated to answer with this, as it doesn't exactly fit your parameter of "near Central/KSK".

If you head west on Huay Kaew Rd. towards the mountain, just after crossing Irrigation Canal Rd. (where the Phucome Hotel is) about 100 yards up on the left (south side of the street) is an apt bldg- Lanna 2.

On the ground floor is a laundry that I have used for 3 years. They have a bank of electric washers and dryers out front. They offer a deal which is 100 pieces for 500 B. A king sized bedsheet, or a pair of jeans, or a t-shirt, whatever- 5 B each.

Get to them by 9 AM or so, get clothes back the same day by 4 or 5 PM, unless they're swamped (like on Monday morning). Closed Sundays, but open 7 AM to 5 PM the rest of the week.

I'm sure there are other places closer to Central, and some no doubt cheaper....but I doubt better than this service.

Hope this helps.

McG, are you sure that they only charge "1 piece" for the sheets? All the laundries in my neighborhood charge 2-4 pieces for big towels and 3-5 pieces for sheets and other large objects.

Nancy, there's a "laundromat" on Sirimankalajarn Soi 3 or 5, at the back car entrance to KSK that had dryers the last time I looked. I've never used them so I don't know if they produce heat or not.

My friend, Nong has a laundry on Wiang Phing road in south Chiang Mai (east of airport area). I know they have driers and use them on special occasions. Nong speaks good English and can do whatever you specify. She is married to an American friend of mine. But, you have to be sure it is NONGS LAUNDRY because there are several on the same road.

NancyL,

On the ground floor is a laundry that I have used for 3 years. They have a bank of electric washers and dryers out front. They offer a deal which is 100 pieces for 500 B. A king sized bed sheet, or a pair of jeans, or a t-shirt, whatever- 5 B each.

Hope this helps.

McG, are you sure that they only charge "1 piece" for the sheets? All the laundries in my neighborhood charge 2-4 pieces for big towels and 3-5 pieces for sheets and other large objects.

Nancy, there's a "laundromat" on Sirimankalajarn Soi 3 or 5, at the back car entrance to KSK that had dryers the last time I looked. I've never used them so I don't know if they produce heat or not.

Yup, sure as rain is wet. 5 B for anything. But not a comforter, or curtains, or some humongous item.

The way this works for me is, I wash in a small basin the little items, like socks, swim trunks, etc.

Then hang them on one of those drying racks that every Thai has on the balcony.

To reiterate- huge bath towel- 5 B.

Pair of slacks- 5 B.

King size sheet- 5 B.

All washed, dried in a real dryer, and most things ironed- including sheets.

No lie, GI!

Yes, it's very cheap to have clothes washed here in Chiang Mai, but the quality has really declined with the onset of rainy season. We used to get our clothes back in a day, but now it's stretched to two, even three days plus the towels are still damp when returned. Like many, our laundry lady dries everything on the line. She doesn't have a proper clothes drying machine. I've used "dryers" in do-it-yourself facilities and found they don't actually have heat -- they just tumble your clothes until they air dry.

Last week I visited Bangkok and spent big baht for a really nice set of towels. In the States, the first thing I'd do with a new set of towels is wash and dry them, often three or four times, to remove lint. Here, I sent them to our laundry lady and they came back three days later, still damp, obviously line dried and full of lint. The final straw was when I found a stain on one towel, a stain that would suggest she's drying them on a rusty bar. I carefully checked them in the store for stains and defects.

I've visited several laundry facilities in our neighborhhood (KSK/Central) and all seem to dry their clothes outdoors. Any suggestions for a laundry that uses "real" drying machines, ones that generate some heat and produce dry fluffy towels, free of lint?

I've used the "search" function looking for recommendations on this forum, to no avail.

Why not buy a washing machine with a dryer and do it your self not hard is it

Why not buy a washing machine with a dryer and do it your self not hard is it

Nah it takes longer to drive there.

Thank you for the many suggestions.

I've considered purchasing a washer and dryer and aside from the obvious problem with having a heat-producing dryer in our condo (lack of space and appropriate electrical outlets), I found that the cost would pay for many, many songtaew trips to McG's fabled laundry service.

I've also seriously considered sending the towels to my brother in the States for him to wash/dry four or five times and return. After all, the main problem is getting rid of the "new towel" lint and fuzz not in maintaining them long-term. Mailing them to the States is less investment than buying a washer and dryer, but the suggestion caused serious eye-rolling from hubby.

Meanwhile, I've added "buy and launder new towels" to the very short list I maintain of stuff I'd like to bring back from the U.S. if I ever return for a visit.

So today I'm off to check out a few laundry options.

Meanwhile, we're still showering twice daily and everything in our condo is covered with a thin layer of towel lint. It's even on the dishes in the kitchen!

After running a business for many years, dealing with impossible deadlines, employees and customers, I'm just glad this is the biggest problem I have in life! Life is good here in Chiang Mai.

Yesterday morning I checked out the capabilities of Washy Mashy, a full service laundry/dry cleaning store on the south (Orchid Hotel) side of Huay Kaew between Shell Station/Sport World and the technical college. That's near the outlet of Sirimangkalajarn Soi 1. They offer either self service or full service and definitely have heated dryers. The charge for them to wash, dry and fold a load is 160 baht, with about 15 pieces making up a full load. More expensive than McG's place, but within dragging distance from home.

So, hubby brought in a week's work of laundry, including the cursed new towels. They completed their work in 7 hours, no extra charge for same-day service and returned beautifully laundered clothing. They charge 15 baht a piece for pressing, so we asked for just the shirts and blouses to be pressed. They were done well, but I can't see paying this amount for pressing napkins and hankies.

So, in the future we'll take the sheets and towels to Washy Mashy and try a cheaper neighborhood laundry lady for the other items. Sometime I'll have to try Washy Mashy's self-service option to see how much cheaper it is. Meanwhile, I wonder if our former laundry lady will "get the message" when she sees me still walking around the neighborhood but not bringing her my laundry anymore. That stain on a brand new, unused towel was really unforgivable.

That stain on a brand new, unused towel was really unforgivable.

I couldn't agree more. Follow the advice of Jesus, Bhudda, Mohammed and others and forgive many things but never a stain on a brand new unused cursed towel. It also pisses me off that when paying the low Thai prices for services that you can not get them done appropriately to a western standard. Why can't they understand that rust stains are not Zen art. You really should contact the tourist police about your towel, that will give your laundry lady the message for sure. And yes, 15 baht to press hankies is just too much.

I couldn't agree more. Follow the advice of Jesus, Bhudda, Mohammed and others and forgive many things but never a stain on a brand new unused cursed towel. It also pisses me off that when paying the low Thai prices for services that you can not get them done appropriately to a western standard. Why can't they understand that rust stains are not Zen art. You really should contact the tourist police about your towel, that will give your laundry lady the message for sure. And yes, 15 baht to press hankies is just too much.

Proud of you Bill97. sFun_mischieviousbig.gif

Now who have you been taking lessons from?

Now, now.. we should embrace the new type of people coming to live in Chiang Mai. May well make it a better place! You know, the people who go talk to pick-up truck drivers because their vehicle emits smoke, or to banks for charing a fee, or to laundry shops. I'm all for it, let them shape up!

It is like many things in life. Some people do not care about the price; they just want it done correctly. That goes for building a home, fixing a car or doing the laundry. Unfortunately, when you can't speak the language in a foreign country you have to rely on others to understand YOUR wants and wishes. That is unlikely to happen in Thailand where standards are much different. It could also vary between a city in Germany and a small town in the southern states. Standards vary. If you choose to live in a foreign country then you have to accept the living standards there. As for myself, I wouldn't buy anything in Thailand that I couldn't walk away from and forget if I had to go home and not come back.