Rain Water In Pool

jaideeguy

As I have heavy suspended calcium deposits in my ground water, I take advantage of the rainy season and gutter most of my roof into my pool, more than doubling the surface area of the pool. I have been told that too much rain water can cause algae blooms......maybe true, but easily controled by extra cholorine?

Also get a bit of small dust that goes thru the screen , but easy to vaccume up.

Do other's have an opinion on this practice of running your rainwater into your pool??

So long as your roof and gutters are clean this should not be too much of a problem. The first place you will normally spot algae is on the back of the skimmer door. What level do you normally run your chlorine at?

Rain water is all right for landscape watering, but a swimming pool?

Watch out for acid rain, dust and pollutants that may be caught by the rain, and those that collect on your roof.

Rainwater is probably better than groundwater, but I would install a valve to only fill up the pool when needed. When pool is full, let the rainwater go to drain. More easy to control algea this way.

When you have ground water that is too hard it's one of the best ways to dilute your pool. Rain water has to go a long way to have as many containments as ground water.

If you are harvesting rain water from your roof, I would suggest allowing some initial run-off to waste to ensure all dust, bird sh1t etc is not feed directly into your pool each time you elect to use rain water.

We have had a few heavy rains in the last month and I think the roof is washed clean enough to drink. As far as acid rain....we live in the outskirts of CM and not too much industry here.

In a former life, I lived in Hawaii, off the water mains and the only water we had for household consumption was rain catchment....which we stored in above ground swimming pools covered with shade cloth.......we all survived that, so swimming in it shouldn't be a problem.

All I want to do is dilute the heavily calcium laden water to minimise problems and cholorine is a cheap fungicide and antibacterial.

As a 15 yr pool guy in Calif, rain water is no problem. Just test the water first to see what is going in your pool.

Then, make sure that your water is "Balanced"!

If you don't have water balance you will have headaches continuously. You may, and I would suggest, running the filter system a bit longer, more of a turnover rate! And make sure the filter is clean and doing its job. Sand is ok, but I like the better media that are used in sand filters today-more expensive but clean at a rate comparable to DE filters, which is a smaller micron. And make sure the filter is BIG enough.

You can never have too big of a filter-remember-it is the kidneys/lungs of your pool!

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

I have been having a problem with my filter... I paid 7,500 baht for some sand from Australia, but everytime it rained, my water would become 'dirty' from something.. I replaced the water twice, figuring something was wrong with my sand, then I went out and bought some cheaper (3000 baht) sand, and flushed out the Australian sand and replaced it with the cheaper stuff. No problem at all. Works great.

Can anybody tell me why the Australian sand (put in by a local Pool company) failed?

It sounds like the Australian sand wasn't of sufficiently small micron size to filter out all algae, which is more plentiful after rains as the spores are all over. Even if the chlorine is killing it, there will be dead material in the water. The new sand probably has some diatomaceous earth in the mix which greatly improves small particle filtration.

• 3 months later...

When you have ground water that is too hard it's one of the best ways to dilute your pool. Rain water has to go a long way to have as many containments as ground water.

Still think rainwater is safe for your swimming pool?

Rainwater 'no longer safe to drink'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Rainwat...nk-t313334.html

• 2 weeks later...

Still think rainwater is safe for your swimming pool?

Rainwater 'no longer safe to drink'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Rainwat...nk-t313334.html

Yes.

• 4 months later...
I have been having a problem with my filter... I paid 7,500 baht for some sand from Australia, but everytime it rained, my water would become 'dirty' from something.. I replaced the water twice, figuring something was wrong with my sand, then I went out and bought some cheaper (3000 baht) sand, and flushed out the Australian sand and replaced it with the cheaper stuff. No problem at all. Works great.

Can anybody tell me why the Australian sand (put in by a local Pool company) failed?

maybe someone neglected to remove the kangaroo poop...