Dual nationality - thai citizen

PETER THE EATER

Peter.I have asked all my Thai and Phillipino friends (mostly female) here in London and they all seem to hold on to their National as well as their UK/Euro passports.According to Home Office info. duel nationality is not against any law-per say.I recon anyone who travels a lot should try for a second even if its only a Scottish one.The haggis symbol confers diplomatic status and quite rightly so. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

the way it goes is like this-

In the UK (and US for that) it is okay to hold Dual Nationailty. The primary nationailty (Thai for your wife) takes percidence should it arise. This is British law.

Second, Thailand. Thai law states that a person holds citizenship (Thai Nationality) unless they wish to renounce it - if so, it is revoked by the Thai Government.

The UK does NOT require that you give up your nationlisation when you become a Brityish citizen - although you can if you wish. Britain does NOT report on the fact that you have become a citizen.

Therefore, it is not illegal to be a dual national, and your wife will keep her Thai Nationality. Personally, not knowing if all Thai officials understand this, would not flout the fact to the Thai authorities, but there should be no problem.

Same with the kid.

See  

WWW.VISA-HELPLINE.COM - DUAL NATIONALITY THAI UK

Hello.

I am thai citizen in the US and also US citizen with two different names in each citizenship. My question to someone with this situation is how do you travel into and out of Thailand with 2 passports because I know that when you leave thailand the airline counter always check if you overstay your visa and when you get back to US immigration always look at your ticket for the duration that you left the country

Anybody care to comment on it.

Thank you