Health Insurance For A Person With Diabetes

damslund

Hey

I have that big problem to find a health insurance for a person with diabetes or to find one there would like to have me and beside that if they would like to have me, so when do they cover?

If i end up at the hospital of any risen there have nothing with my diabetes to do, the most of the time the hospital have to take care of my diabetes and do the health insurance then cover?

I am 31 and had no problem with my diabetes at all and i have no bad history. Beside me i need my family to be cover to. (1 adult + 1 child)

If it is possible i would like a health insurance there only cover Thailand.

And i am young and that mean i am not that person with the most money in the world so i would like it to be as cheap as possible.

Hope somebody can give me a little help.

Hey

I have that big problem to find a health insurance for a person with diabetes or to find one there would like to have me and beside that if they would like to have me, so when do they cover?

If i end up at the hospital of any risen there have nothing with my diabetes to do, the most of the time the hospital have to take care of my diabetes and do the health insurance then cover?

I am 31 and had no problem with my diabetes at all and i have no bad history. Beside me i need my family to be cover to. (1 adult + 1 child)

And i am young and that mean i am not that person with the most money in the world so i would like it to be as cheap as possible.

Thai Visa Insurance can offer you Health Insurance with the diabetes as an exclusion.

Please send an email to : [email protected]

Hey

Any health insurer in Thailand will insure you. But they will exclude coverage for any treatment, testing and medication for diabetes. If you have Type 2 diabetes, that should not be a serious cost problem; I don't know about Type 1. In any case, though, you have absolutely no other choice but to pay yourself. No insurance company here covers pre-existing conditions.

They will also exclude coverage for any medical conditions related to your history of diabetes. That is only a problem, though, if you don't keep your diabetes under control and have regular check ups. Have your blood-sugar checked regularly. You need to have your heart, kidneys, blood vessels and other vulnerable parts of your body checked often.

"No insurance company here covers pre-existing conditions."

OP

If you can find work here, you should be covered by Thai Social Security.

Thai Social Security does cover pre-existing conditions.

I think that you are over simplifying a bit. I agree with you, though, that if he gets hired by an employer providing group coverage under the government SSI program his diabetes will be covered. But not all employers are insured under the program. Many aren't. The main thing that he needs to undersand first is that he can't go out buy the coverage he wants here. If this is of very serious concern to him, then he should focus on finding himself a good job that provides coverage under SSI.

"No insurance company here covers pre-existing conditions."

OP

If you can find work here, you should be covered by Thai Social Security.

Thai Social Security does cover pre-existing conditions.

I think that you are over simplifying a bit. I agree with you, though, that if he gets hired by an employer providing group coverage under the government SSI program his diabetes will be covered. But not all employers are insured under the program. Many aren't. The main thing that he needs to undersand first is that he can't go out buy the coverage he wants here. If this is of very serious concern to him, then he should focus on finding himself a good job that provides coverage under SSI.

One needs to remember that the SS scheme was extended in 1994 and again in 1999 to include smaller enterprises.

"The insured person is the employee who starts working at the age of not under fifteen and not over sixty years old in the enterprise with 1 or more employees"

http://www.sso.go.th/englishsite/page_276

The big remaining gap is the informal sector, It is true that far more people are covered by the UC gold card scheme (the old 30 baht scheme) than the SSS.

'Group coverage' probably isn't quite the right term. This is not group coverage analogous to that provided by employer schemes in the USA, which tend to contract for private insurance for members on different terms for different groups of employees. The standard SSS terms and benefits apply equally to all members and are not affected by the characteristics of particular groups (which could be as small as one member) associated with particular employers. Thai employers do not contract with an insurance provider as such, but rather meet their statutory duty to pay insurance contributions where required. Risk pooling operates across the whole SSS insured population (about 8 million or 13% of the total population). It is also worth mentioning that the Thai SSS covers other things besides health care.

So employees in quite a wide range of Thai enterprises may qualify for cover, if they pay the contributions.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey

Thai Visa Insurance can offer you Health Insurance with the diabetes as an exclusion.

Please send an email to : [email protected]

I worked with the folks here at Thai Visa, and they have been doing a lot of hard work for me.... BUT, i have been declined by BUPA and LMG for PRE hypertension and PRE diabetes. What a scam. 20 yrs ago these diagnosis did not even exist.... but i digress.....

They would not even do exclusions.... so i would be very interested in hearing from folks who say... "you can get insurance, they will just do an exclusion for the pre-conditions". If such companies exist, why aren't the folks from Thai Visa offering them?

I can get "Patriot" insurance from here in USA, which will not require medical exam and not cover any pre-conditions. Would cover me if i got hit in the road, got a dose of Dengue, or any other problem... just nothing related to my pre-conditions. But i have to pay all bills up front, then send to USA company for reimbursement.

I would welcome a thai company reference that would simply "exclude" my pre-conditions.

Zippy

Zippy,

If you have tried one agent as you have suggested, then perhaps you should PM Tony Dabbs, he has helped me with a number of insurance matters. Never led me astray yet.

thanks... i sent tony an email.... keeping my fingers crossed.

zippy

Let me get this straight. If you have hypertension and are being successfully treated for it with medication, you can't get medical insurance in Thailand (supposing with treatment for hypertension excluded)? A huge percentage of people over 50 have treated hypertension. I suppose a hypertension exclusion would also exclude anything potentially caused by the condition, such as heart attacks, yes? Typical insurance companies, that is why there is now a revolt against them in America.

I can get "Patriot" insurance from here in USA, which will not require medical exam and not cover any pre-conditions. Would cover me if i got hit in the road, got a dose of Dengue, or any other problem... just nothing related to my pre-conditions. But i have to pay all bills up front, then send to USA company for reimbursement.

Can you supply a link for this firm?

Let me get this straight. If you have hypertension and are being successfully treated for it with medication, you can't get medical insurance in Thailand (supposing with treatment for hypertension excluded)? A huge percentage of people over 50 have treated hypertension. I suppose a hypertension exclusion would also exclude anything potentially caused by the condition, such as heart attacks, yes? Typical insurance companies, that is why there is now a revolt against them in America.

Basically, you are right... at least a small part of my problem in not being able to get exclusions, is my age. As others have mentioned... it is possible to get exclusions... but my personal experience has shown me that after 60, it is dam_n near impossible....

i haven't given up yet.... but only have a couple of weeks left before i need to make a choice.

OTOH... i could wait and just get to thailand and check out some of these health plans that are riders on life insurance... meaning like ING... I don't know.... rather annoying to have to spend so such time trying to figure out such a basic thing as my health insurance.

zippy

Can you supply a link for this firm?

here you go... i have chatted with the guy on the phone and checked all over the net for "better" pricing on Patriot insurance... but this is the best i can come up with.

http://www.worldtravelcenter.com/eng/infor...cfm?line=patint

zippy