Kaffir Lime

Hadrian1

I have read several Thai coockery books which mention that if you want to make the Thai Green Curry paste then you need to use the rind of the Kaffir Lime. I also went on a Thai cookery course in London where the Thai woman giving the lesson stated that the rind of a Kaffir Lime was needed but since it was difficult to get hold of at times or in some locations.....you could subsitute with the rind of a Lime. Anyway, that's what we did on the course, subsitiute the Kaffir Lime rind with that of a normal Lime. At the end, we ate what we had created and it was very nice indeed. So, my question is.......why is the kaffir lime used and specified if the normal lime seemed to to the trick. Does the Kaffir lime have an extra dimension to it's taste or whatever? I understand that the Kaffir lime juice isn't much used for anything except for I think I read somewhere to keep a salad or something similar from discolouring or looking 'fatigued'. Could anybody who knows a bit about the Kaffir lime throw some light on this for me? Thanks you. :)

Yes, it really is better type for using in curry pastes due to its' stronger aroma and more interesting flavour. I prefer kaffir lime over usual one which is too plain if compare. Try kaffir one if you have a chance.

its a bit like using vinegar when you haven't got lemon juice. If you aint got it then you can't use it.

Kaffir Lime imparts a special flavour of its own. Maybe not as noticeable in a hot green curry, but try leaving it out of Panang Curry and then taste the difference.

Kaffir lime leaves also freeze well too, so next time you see some, don't be afraid to stock up.

Kaffir lime leaves also freeze well too, so next time you see some, don't be afraid to stock up.

Thank you both for your replies. I read somewhere......I think David Thompson's book on Thai cooking that you can also freeze the fruit as it's only the rind that you need and freezing won't have any effect on the taste. I have actually got a plant in the house. It's doing ok but I understand that it won't produce any fruite until about 3 years old.