Land Of Smiles?

Livinginexile

If you spend any considerable amount of time in Thailand you can’t help but notice an incredible amount of contradictions in Thai culture.

For me one of the most blatant of these contradictions is their perverse sense of morality.

My Thai wife and I now live in Australia and one thing that constantly surprises her is the amount of nudity and sex on TV. As you know even kissing is not allowed on Thai TV.

Wide spread prostitution not only exists in Thailand it is unofficially encouraged by everyone from the family, the temple and even the government.

It is nothing less than state sponsored exploitation of their women and girls and yet officially, it doesn’t exist!

Thai authorities are always taking the moral high ground in regards to the general moral behaviour of the people. Censorship is allmost absolute and any form of overt sexuality of violance is a strict no no and yet the allow and encourage places like Pattaya, Nana, Patpong, Soi Cowboy etc etc. How do they keep a straight face? :)

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand and yet authorities on ALL levels profit from it in one form or another. It is so in your face everywhere you go and yet officially they deny it exists!

I have lived and travelled in many countries in my time and no other even comes close to the hypocrisy of Thailand.

Do you think Thailand can ever clean up it's image the way Hong Kong and Singapore did?

Or is Thailand doomed to be forever the laughing stock of Asia?

If you spend any considerable amount of time in Thailand you can't help but notice an incredible amount of contradictions in Thai culture.

For me one of the most blatant of these contradictions is their perverse sense of morality.

My Thai wife and I now live in Australia and one thing that constantly surprises her is the amount of nudity and sex on TV. As you know even kissing is not allowed on Thai TV.

Wide spread prostitution not only exists in Thailand it is unofficially encouraged by everyone from the family, the temple and even the government.

It is nothing less than state sponsored exploitation of their women and girls and yet officially, it doesn't exist!

Thai authorities are always taking the moral high ground in regards to the general moral behaviour of the people. Censorship is allmost absolute and any form of overt sexuality of violance is a strict no no and yet the allow and encourage places like Pattaya, Nana, Patpong, Soi Cowboy etc etc. How do they keep a straight face? :)

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand and yet authorities on ALL levels profit from it in one form or another. It is so in your face everywhere you go and yet officially they deny it exists!

I have lived and travelled in many countries in my time and no other even comes close to the hypocrisy of Thailand.

Do you think Thailand can ever clean up it's image the way Hong Kong and Singapore did?

I would like to change the term "Land of Smiles" to Land of sulks or smirks or Surly

As regards cleaning up their act like Singapore....have you ever been to Orchard Towers ??... :D ....Singapore hasnt really cleaned up their act, maybe not as in your face as Thailand, but certainly there, and strangly enough...even legal as opposed to the hypocrisy in Thailand

Having spent the last couple of months travelling extensively in SEA due to work have the following comments related to the LOS monikor...

Singapore - Far more pleasant people to deal with, than comperable persons in Thailand. Have received many a genuine smile and laugh there, as opposed to to surly or smirking face when returning to Thailand.

Indonesia - As above Re Singapore

And now I await the " I you dont like it, you should leave" brigade to start.... :D

Reminds me of watching a movie I had downloaded. A couple started ripping their clothes off and made passionate love on the sofa. My female companion was stunned.

When I explained it happens a lot and in various locations, be it in the car, out on some grassy field, on the beach and a multitude of other places, she refused to believe me. Of course the bedroom is the only place to make love!!

On one of the rare occasions I visited a go-go bar, I took a vibrator in, for a bit of a laugh. The look of shock and disgust on the Mama-sans face was a picture. Yet she was happy to take all the bar fines and not bat an eyelid.

There can definitely be two faces here on the subject of sex and of violence too. As you have said in your original post.

I feel it is too deeply entrenched along with the need to earn a little extra from many in all levels of life here to be changed easily. Though I am not sure they are a laughing stock.

Most countries have their own 'Red Light' areas, though many countries are not so prudish about kissing in public - as long as you are not trying to eat her alive :)

Reminds me of watching a movie I had downloaded. A couple started ripping their clothes off and made passionate love on the sofa. My female companion was stunned.

When I explained it happens a lot and in various locations, be it in the car, out on some grassy field, on the beach and a multitude of other places, she refused to believe me. Of course the bedroom is the only place to make love!!

On one of the rare occasions I visited a go-go bar, I took a vibrator in, for a bit of a laugh. The look of shock and disgust on the Mama-sans face was a picture. Yet she was happy to take all the bar fines and not bat an eyelid.

There can definitely be two faces here on the subject of sex and of violence too. As you have said in your original post.

I feel it is too deeply entrenched along with the need to earn a little extra from many in all levels of life here to be changed easily. Though I am not sure they are a laughing stock.

Most countries have their own 'Red Light' areas, though many countries are not so prudish about kissing in public - as long as you are not trying to eat her alive :)

[/quote

Thats's enough of the BS you carry around vibrators yet your missus was stunned at a sex movie

Does your Thai misses know what you are typing on the internet :)

Why would I care? I am only concerned with my own life here.

Again, <deleted> are you talking about and who cares?

So, Australia is free of hypocrisy, and you live in Australia, so I guess that means you win. Congrats! You rule, dude! Now, I am going to go partake in some of that hypocrisy. Have fun with your dirty movies and lube of KY.

So, Australia is free of hypocrisy, and you live in Australia, so I guess that means you win. Congrats! You rule, dude! Now, I am going to go partake in some of that hypocrisy. Have fun with your dirty movies and lube of KY.

without being rude to the OP, but the Godfather hits the nail on the head. i can't see why you'd take the time to post about Thailand when you don't live here. and no, nothing is going to change. the world is actually on track to completely implode, so i wouldn't worry much about things...

I think the hypocrisy, contradictions, absurdity, duality etc is all part of the experience of living here.

However, one thing that really gets me is how the average polite Thai man becomes a rude, inconsiderate, mad man when behind the security and anonymity of the dark glass windows of his turbo charged pickup.

Hmmm I hope Thailand doesnt clean up its act, who can afford to stay, Long Time, in Hong Kong or Singapore, and why would you want too. Hmmm never heard that Thailand is the laughing stock of asia, but I have read many aricles that praised Thailand. Theres not to many on TVF, I have to admit.

I have done just about everything on God's Good Earth that boys und gals are supposed to do. Groupies and all.

I have never dreamed of, nor thought it necessary to carry a dildo into a gogo bar. Customs & Airports OK.

On the street - thats a No No. How creepy you must be. Go get a shrink.

Gives more lie to the fat, naked creeps trying to lure sickos into their on line lairs.

Leave the Thai folk alone.

BR>Jack

Every Country has it's own 'foibles', the customs and culture of Thailand is unique, nothing is as it looks or seems, indeed, that is what has attracted many westerners to it's shores over many, many years.

No way could Thailand be called the laughing stock of SEA, that observation is demeaning to a true connoisseur of the far east. The Country has many and varied qualities for the determined traveller.

I suggest that perhaps the OP has had a very limited perspective of Thailand, clearly the post was written before he had his afternoon nap...!!! :)

It is nothing less than state sponsored exploitation of their women and girls and yet officially, it doesn’t exist!

Complete ignoramus statement I've read on this site. Everyone in the family, the temple, the entire government encouraged these girls to become prostitutes? Where on earth did you get your information from? Or may be this is another case of the "I need attention to my thread so I'll make a big bold stupid statement to gain interest"?

I often think of the kingdom as the "Land of paradox", sluts and virgins, the worlds most delicious and worst foods, one moment the the smell of jasmine, the next, shit. clean people living in filth, honest liars........ I do love this place!

Why would I care? I am only concerned with my own life here.

Again, <deleted> are you talking about and who cares?

G'day John :D

I myself would truely love to see Thailand discard it's image of "the sex capital of the world".

You obviously would not.

Did you have a good time last night? :)

Wasn't this fellow's last topic about the hypocrisy of the girls working at Nana? Apparently, obviously for research purposes only, he wanted to know why they would pray before going to work in such a hel_l-hole.

Completely glossing over the fact that he was in the same place! :)

I see a trend here and it isn't pretty.

Find a new hobby.

Livinginexile, its a veritable contradiction, and only God could explain the Thai psyche, or anyone elses for that matter. Canada is hardly better... eg's..the government cancelled the fiancee visa 5 years ago ( you f'n lucky brits,aussies,yanks etc. who still have it..).. my wife could have got here 2 years earlier if they still had it...Canada is one of the the most strict countries to let immigrants in, yet paradoxically Canada is the ONLY westernized country with ZERO data on human trafficking ( a new law here..if you got your wife pregnant in Thailand or anywhere and she had the baby prior to getting the visa to come to Canada..the new rule states the baby would NOT be Canadian..lovely eh mate??)..yet there are massage parlours all over the place in Vancouver and elsewhere with thousands of illegal thai/filipina/chinese etc. immigrants working as VIRTUAL SEX SLAVES working on premises as we speak (i did some homework)..why do the Canadian authorities turn a BLIND EYE HERE?? ..because some of them use the services...same same Thailand... my bpen rai..my cow chai.. :) ..btw keep it up bro..

Wasn't this fellow's last topic about the hypocrisy of the girls working at Nana? Apparently, obviously for research purposes only, he wanted to know why they would pray before going to work in such a hel_l-hole.

Completely glossing over the fact that he was in the same place! :)

I see a trend here and it isn't pretty.

Find a new hobby.

And you are PRETTY? pretty what...?? pretty judgmental for starters..

Livinginexile, its a veritable contradiction, and only God could explain the Thai psyche, or anyone elses for that matter. Canada is hardly better... eg's..the government cancelled the fiancee visa 5 years ago ( you f'n lucky brits,aussies,yanks etc. who still have it..).. my wife could have got here 2 years earlier if they still had it...Canada is one of the the most strict countries to let immigrants in, yet paradoxically Canada is the ONLY westernized country with ZERO data on human trafficking ( a new law here..if you got your wife pregnant in Thailand or anywhere and she had the baby prior to getting the visa to come to Canada..the new rule states the baby would NOT be Canadian..lovely eh mate??)..yet there are massage parlours all over the place in Vancouver and elsewhere with thousands of illegal thai/filipina/chinese etc. immigrants working as VIRTUAL SEX SLAVES working on premises as we speak (i did some homework)..why do the Canadian authorities turn a BLIND EYE HERE?? ..because some of them use the services...same same Thailand... my bpen rai..my cow chai.. :D ..btw keep it up bro..

Rant. :)

I'm not aware of widespread prostitution in Thailand. It's widespread in Cowboy and Nana and a few Thai places with gaudy lights to warn general public but you can drive around Bangkok for days and won't see any prostitutes.

Ten years ago every karaoke bar had dozens of gilrs strutting outside, now they are all behind the doors and certainly not in your face. Does that count for "cleaning up the act"?

Ten years ago getting a massage was like going to a whorehouse, now I guess you have to search for massage places that provide any extra service, and most clients are women.

>>

What I mean to say is that the rest of the country doesn't look like Nana.

If you spend any considerable amount of time in Thailand you can't help but notice an incredible amount of contradictions in Thai culture.

It is nothing less than state sponsored exploitation of their women and girls and yet officially, it doesn't exist!

Your wife lives in Ozz and wont come back to LOS as you said in one post, but you seem to spend vast amounts of time in LOS in all the seedy places by your past post..........watching BG pray before going to work,or maybe just looking for short time........thats it not getting anything in OZZ stupid me....no that can not be right OZZ is full of sheep.

Your wife lives in Ozz and wont come back to LOS as you said in one post, but you seem to spend vast amounts of time in LOS in all the seedy places by your past post..........watching BG pray before going to work,or maybe just looking for short time........thats it not getting anything in OZZ stupid me....no that can not be right OZZ is full of sheep.

Hope you can ride a bike better than you string a coherant sentence together... :D

Hope you can ride a bike better than you string a coherant sentence together... :D

Certainly can ride a bike, take it your from Ozz also? :D

I'm not aware of widespread prostitution in Thailand. It's widespread in Cowboy and Nana and a few Thai places with gaudy lights to warn general public but you can drive around Bangkok for days and won't see any prostitutes.

Ten years ago every karaoke bar had dozens of gilrs strutting outside, now they are all behind the doors and certainly not in your face. Does that count for "cleaning up the act"?

Ten years ago getting a massage was like going to a whorehouse, now I guess you have to search for massage places that provide any extra service, and most clients are women.

>>

What I mean to say is that the rest of the country doesn't look like Nana.

It doesn't, sod it. :) .