Whats Going On With Cat - Cdma

ThaiLife

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is something that I really don't understand. Following is a copy of the recent connection log. I left the computer at 5pm on Moday 4th and while I was not using the browser, it stayed connected for 9 hours. I return to the computer and try to open a webpage and it immediately disconnects! Then often takes 2 or 3 attempts before reconnecting, I try to open another webpage and it disconnects again. This is from 2AM so there is hardly likely to be high internet traffic!

04/01/2010 16:55:13 008:59:34 19.4

05/01/2010 01:56:06 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 01:56:16 000:01:24 0.0

05/01/2010 01:57:48 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 01:59:38 000:01:27 0.0

05/01/2010 02:01:36 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 02:04:12 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 02:05:20 000:01:26 0.2

05/01/2010 02:06:59 000:22:11 0.8

05/01/2010 02:29:23 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 02:30:04 000:00:24 0.0

05/01/2010 02:30:39 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 02:31:04 000:00:32 0.1

05/01/2010 02:31:42 000:35:18 6.4

05/01/2010 03:07:07 000:00:47 0.8

05/01/2010 03:08:02 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 03:09:12 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 03:09:48 000:16:24 5.2

05/01/2010 03:27:07 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 03:27:28 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 03:27:34 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 03:27:36 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 03:29:17 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 03:30:56 000:00:50 0.1

05/01/2010 03:32:05 000:00:00 0.0

05/01/2010 03:32:35 000:00:55 0.0

05/01/2010 03:34:36 000:00:30 0.0

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having problems with a directory or executable file called Phoenix.

It seems that Firefox uses a directory called Phoenix,

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/releases/0.5.html

but there is also a file called Phoenix used by Novatel.

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/Q...px?Process=9309

I'm not techie smart enough to understand the ramifications of this, but I have found by accident that disabling Firefox and using IE instead, The MC727 stays connected!

The connection has stayed stable for a few days (but with the inevitable slowdowns) and as soon as I try to use Firefox again, I get disconnections one after the other!

This is at least a solution to my problem with frequent disconnects, the only thing is that I really do not like IE very much. I guess that I will have to get used to it, using IE is less frustration than having disconnections hundreds of times a day!

My wife received a call from CAT yesterday regarding my EVDO complaints. They told her that the tower in our area is working very well and to take my EVDO modem to the office in Loei to be checked out. I'm in Jomtien right now so that will have to wait until I get back home.

I wouldn't be surprised if they want me to buy a new modem. I have no idea if it is under warranty or not.

My wife received a call from CAT yesterday regarding my EVDO complaints. They told her that the tower in our area is working very well and to take my EVDO modem to the office in Loei to be checked out. I'm in Jomtien right now so that will have to wait until I get back home.

I wouldn't be surprised if they want me to buy a new modem. I have no idea if it is under warranty or not.

It will depend on how long you've had the modem Gary.

My MC 727 was guaranteed for a year. They took it back for repair on 15th September and loaned me a replacement. At the time they said that it wll take a month or so to repair my modem. That was 4 months ago. The only contact that I've had from them since is that they wanted to see the loaner for some reason, very strange.

I am beginning to wonder what will happen when the warranty period expires, if my modem is still not repaired

I don't think it has anything to do with your modem0. I would like to know howmany people with a landline experience the same slow downs or stalls like we have using CAT CDMA. I was at a friends house 2 days ago. He is using a TOT landline and he has the same slowdowns as I've been having for the last week.

First I thought CAT's CDMA was getting faster as I got great results sometime, but lately for example, IDM (internet download manager) runs normalluy at a spead around 225 KB/s. It's running at that speed now but a few minutes ago it went down to 4 KB/s. It has been very stable for the last few months but lately it has been poor. The speed varies a lot. I do stay connected. I am in a rural area. Just a few people use this tower. I think the problem is somewhere in Bangkok. As usual.

hello all

I have been using a Novotel MC760 now for around two months with no problems

I am very impressed and suprised at how good it is,to be honest.

The thing I have noticed in the last few days is sometimes a web page loads blank but hitting

enter brings the page up.I have a tower very close and they have told me I am the only one on it.(Im in the middle of nowhere)with a signal strength of -70ish

The people who are having problems,is it actually disconnecting for you?

cheers HH

I am moving to Sukhumvit Soi 22, and the building supposedly has pretty bad internet so I am considering getting this CDMA service. I need very reliable internet, not necessarily fast, but stable. Anyone have experience in Bangkok around that area, or Bangkok in general?

Would Tesco or Carrefour sell them?

Thanks

Hi, I think you'll find that the CAT CDMA service is not available in Bangkok.. you will have to use Hutch, Edge or the buildings own internet.

Regards

Totster :)

read the other day CAT have bought service from Hutch, should be available to all Hutch provinces in 4-5 months. sods law i move from samui to bangkok next week so will have scrap CDMA

hello all

The thing I have noticed in the last few days is sometimes a web page loads blank but hitting

enter brings the page up.I have a tower very close and they have told me I am the only one on it.(Im in the middle of nowhere)with a signal strength of -70ish

cheers HH

When i first got the MC727 I was very impressed for the first 2 months as well!

I used to regularly get download speeds up to 1500Kbs with 500 upload

Nowadays 300-500Kbs on a good day and maybe 30Kbs up.

2:30 AM on a Sunday morning, hardly a time of high internet traffic and this is the speedtest to Bangkok!

post-12326-1263670433_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how good a company Novatel is, but there do not seem to have been any available updates for the software and drivers since they started to sell the MC727. My original modem (in for repair now) used to get very hot, so I don't know if they are really suited to this climate.

You have the MC760 and it is possible that this is a better modem than the 727. I find it rather annoying that although the 760 was available in the States when I bought my modem, only the 727 was available here. In fact it was a year after the release of the 760 in the States before CAT started selling it ( after all stocks of 727 were exhausted?)

It would be nice for those with the 760 to keep us updated on their satsfaction levels as i imagine that i will eventually have no choice but to pay for a new modem. From what i understand the MC727 is not compatible with Windows 7.

The performance has been much better since I stopped using Firefox. I am still getting disconnections, but nowhere near the frequency of before.

I suspect that the problems I am having are a mixture of poor software support from Novatel and inconsistant service levels from CAT.

hello all

cheers HH

When i first got the MC727 I was very impressed for the first 2 months as well!

I used to regularly get download speeds up to 1500Kbs with 500 upload

Nowadays 300-500Kbs on a good day and maybe 30Kbs up.

2:30 AM on a Sunday morning, hardly a time of high internet traffic and this is the speedtest to Bangkok!

post-12326-1263670433_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how good a company Novatel is, but there do not seem to have been any available updates for the software and drivers since they started to sell the MC727. My original modem (in for repair now) used to get very hot, so I don't know if they are really suited to this climate.

You have the MC760 and it is possible that this is a better modem than the 727. I find it rather annoying that although the 760 was available in the States when I bought my modem, only the 727 was available here. In fact it was a year after the release of the 760 in the States before CAT started selling it ( after all stocks of 727 were exhausted?)

It would be nice for those with the 760 to keep us updated on their satsfaction levels as i imagine that i will eventually have no choice but to pay for a new modem. From what i understand the MC727 is not compatible with Windows 7.

The performance has been much better since I stopped using Firefox. I am still getting disconnections, but nowhere near the frequency of before.

I suspect that the problems I am having are a mixture of poor software support from Novatel and inconsistant service levels from CAT.

Hi loong,

Ive read many posts about the CAT CDMA and it does seem that people in different areas are getting different results , some people are well away from a CAT tower, and some like my self are fairly near a tower, originally I thought these consistences

were due to the users location , but it seems this some times is not an affecting factor for people who are experiencing problems and live near a CAT tower. I live in a fairly remote area and I am sure there's not many other CAT CDMA users around the tower location apart from my self, your comment about Firefox is interesting and brings into play what other factors are affecting the problems . I can only give you my current personal situation , I am using a MC727 , connected to a high roof antenna , as suggested by another forum member I replaced the original Coaxial cable type that came with the CAT supplied antenna , and I replaced the original CAT supplied small lead

that connects the external roof antenna coaxial to the MC727 , the original small lead fitted into the small MC727 socket but was not too tight, The new one I bought fits a lot better , with out the roof antenna connected I get Two bars on the signal strength

readout, with the antenna connected its all way's a full signal. I am currently not experiencing any problems with speed or drop off's , I have now stopped checking the speeds as some times the test results show a different story to my actual working results

Ive found that the MC727 does get hot when used with a USB hub, but connected directally into the computers USB port it run's fairly cool, I use the MC727 on my iMac , ASUS N10J netbook and an Acer E500 PC, on the PC I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate at first the MC727 would not connect , but after some research I managed to get it running and it now connects

and runs well. I wish I had an answer to your problems but all I can tell you is above , why do I have no current problems and some people have current problems , is there another factor apart from the users location relative to a CAT tower, or the number

of people using that tower, may be some one who has a more technical knowledge on this subject may like to comment . I wish I had an answer :)

TL

hello all

cheers HH

I have the same thing using google chrome. Webpages open blank or display a message that I am non connected. Then, after reloading it does come up. I get disconnected lately, although not often. Internet is either deadslow or very fast up to 2Mb/s. But at the moment I am stuck with this: 685055257.png

And then a minute later it is this:

685055856.png

Going to this again a few minutes later:

685056776.png

I haven't contacted CAT yet. I wonder what excuse they come up with. My connection has been great for the last few months, but the last few weeks it's with ups and downs.

685071596.png

My speed in Kalasin this morning

Totster :)

Is it stable? The speed? Or also with ups and downs?

I find it to be stable. Actually it's a little quicker than usual today, it's normally around 1.3meg from the Bangkok server, and 500-600 from US/Europe

totster :D

Some of you are really having a nightmare with this,I have been following this thread

before I signed up for CDMA but I took a chance because I am so close to one of their

towers and I had no other options available to me,please post your details again(equipment.distance from tower,signal strength etc and what the Cat office are telling you.

Cheers

HH

My connection log from last night

Maximum Throughput 93847.2Kbps

Total Data 3534.6MB

Current Connection Time 10:10:49

Resettable MB Counter 3479.6

It looks like the problem I had before has been solved. I went to the CAT office in Pai today and they checked the modem. After "resetting" the modem the results were still the same. The guy left his office and I played around a bit with the speedtest. I saw the connection go to zero bars. A little later he came back and said he had asked Chiang Mai to reset the towers between Pai and Mae Hong Son. Since I got back, I got similar results as here below without the ups and downs I had before. Don't they check every now an then? Anyway, you experience the same ups and downs, call CAT and ask them to reset the tower!

687454214.png

a happy cutomer (again)

I'm really jealous of the speeds that so many people are getting.

This is a test to London at 6AM

post-12326-1263944046_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't you love a connection like this?

I believe that it is multiple issues affecting my connection. Software corruption is one of them.

earlier I opened Mobilink Lite and just got "Searching for Network"

After a scan and repair with Advanced Systemcare, I was able to connect.

Often when I start, the signal shows as EVDO rev A, and sticks on "Authenticating" or as soon as it connects, the signal changes to 1XRTT.

It's better than it was, but up and down all the time. I think that I will dust off the old laptop and try out the dongle in different locations. That way, I may be able to pinpoint if there is a problem with my desktop, the dongle or my local tower.

TL. I understand from another thread that the MC727 doesn't work with windows 7. As you've been able to solve this problem, I'd appreciate it if you could share your research with us :)

I believe that it is multiple issues affecting my connection. Software corruption is one of them.

Often when I start, the signal shows as EVDO rev A, and sticks on "Authenticating" or as soon as it connects, the signal changes to 1XRTT.

It's better than it was, but up and down all the time. I think that I will dust off the old laptop and try out the dongle in different locations. That way, I may be able to pinpoint if there is a problem with my desktop, the dongle or my local tower.

TL. I understand from another thread that the MC727 doesn't work with windows 7. As you've been able to solve this problem, I'd appreciate it if you could share your research with us :)

Maybe you should go to the CAT office and ask them to reset the tower.. It worked for me!

Greetings

Loong

I have a MC760 which came with Mobilink3 software which I normally use.

A few days ago I downloaded Sprints own software which is called Smartview(Ovation U727 supported)

and it seems to be working fine,they says its for Windows7 too.

HH

I'm inclined to believe you have a signal problem, it has to be an antenna or tower problem that causes the signal to change to 1XRTT. The only time I have had this happen was when i was using it at home without the antenna connected.

Totster :D

Hi loong, I messed about trying to get my MC727 running on my Windows 7 Ultimate for some time, and in the end I found for me , this to be the simplest way ..

1. load the Mobilink Lite software from the CD that came with MC727 and run

2. open control panel and go to Network status.. shown here ...

Capture-CAT-10.png

click on ..... Connect to a network

3. Select ... connect to dial up connection as shown here.....

Capture-CAT-4.png

For user name use .... [email protected]

For password use ...... cdmacat

For Dial number use ... #777

Make sure the right modem is selected as shown here...

Capture-CAT-5.png

Other settings shown here.....

Capture-CAT-6.png

My Windows 7 Ultimate up and running on CAT CDMA - MC727 ...

Capture-CAT-12.png

Capture-CAT-7.png

there may be other ways to do the same, but the above is the one I currently use .

hope this may help , regards TL :D

Loong

A few days ago I downloaded Sprints own software which is called Smartview(Ovation U727 supported)

HH

Hi Half head,

With the 727, I have also tried to use the Mobilink 3 and sprints software. They have not worked for me. I lost connections totally and had to do a restore to get connected to the internet. I'm sure that the 760 has sorted out a lot of the problems that comes with the 727.

ThaiLife,

I think that the next time I am at Dtuk Com I will try to get a legitimate windows 7. I am not great at these things, especially loading a new OS, so I may well be running my old laptop with the desktop side by side and annoy you with some stupid questions looking for advice. Do you think that you can help?

Can you give any indication so that i know if the windows 7 is legit or not? Obviously, I would know if they told me to wait and then somebody delivers after a phone call.

Loong

HH

Hi Half head,

With the 727, I have also tried to use the Mobilink 3 and sprints software. They have not worked for me. I lost connections totally and had to do a restore to get connected to the internet. I'm sure that the 760 has sorted out a lot of the problems that comes with the 727.

ThaiLife,

I think that the next time I am at Dtuk Com I will try to get a legitimate windows 7. I am not great at these things, especially loading a new OS, so I may well be running my old laptop with the desktop side by side and annoy you with some stupid questions looking for advice. Do you think that you can help?

Can you give any indication so that i know if the windows 7 is legit or not? Obviously, I would know if they told me to wait and then somebody delivers after a phone call.

Pm on its way :)

• 3 weeks later...