Billboard Tax

My neighbor the gold shop just got a visit from Tessaban officials.

Apparently he had not paid tax for the sign "Gold Shop" outside the shop.

Lucky for me my sign had just blown down from the recent wind and was placed on the ground=no tax. :)

Do you have a sign hanging outside your place?

Have you ever heard about this tax.

Lucky for me my sign had just blown down from the recent wind and was placed on the ground=no tax. :)

we paid a tax every year approx 60k and this year when we closed shop and took the sign down they have yet to reverse the fee.

Yes its quite true, we did have a sign and did have pay sign tax. Apparently if the sign is not in Thai the tax is slightly more expensive??

we paid a tax every year approx 60k and this year when we closed shop and took the sign down they have yet to reverse the fee.

it is a legitimate tax, but it should not be more than a few hundred baht..maybe a few thousand at most even for a Tesco...so if you were paying 60,000 you were financing other interests...welcome to Thailand :D

It depends on the sign. If there is no Thai on the sign at all the tax is quite a bit higher. In order to get the lower tax the Thai language name of the business must be at the top of the sign with the English language name of the business underneath.

It depends on the sign. If there is no Thai on the sign at all the tax is quite a bit higher. In order to get the lower tax the Thai language name of the business must be at the top of the sign with the English language name of the business underneath.

but the difference we are talking about is minor. again, NO sign should be anywhere near 60,000...not even in that universe.

simple answer is yes and the price depends on the size of the sign. i have been there. i put a sign up then when i got a visit from the teesa baan. realised that i didn't really need it so i took it down.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is different for Thai language and non-Thai Language (i.e. English). I heard that the tax is 3 Baht/500 sq.cm (or 60 Baht/sq.m.) per year if the sign has only Thai language, but 20 Baht/500 sq.cm (or 400 Baht/sq.m.) per year if there is another language such as English.

So 60,000 Baht would mean a sign with English measuring 150 sq.m. (which is a big sign!)

• 5 months later...

:) Does the sign tax apply to moving signs as on loudspeaker trucks ? It should do as they are getting zillions more coverage not to mention the high volume intrusive noise they make. I may be missing some but at last count passing by the hour were Petch Bancha boxing, Q Bar, Ice Bar, Swing Bar, Escape party, Reggae Pub, Nikki Beach, The Resort Nightclub, Ladies Thai Boxing, weekly temple fairs. The policy in Phuket is not to attend those entities that use sound trucks to promote their business and it seems to have worked. Bangkok dosn't have this problem but once again it seems anything goes on Samui. Wot say u mayor ?