British Airways: A Warning In Today's Newspaper

syd barrett

i'm needing to buy tickets from edinburgh to london (going to bangkok) on august and coming back september.

should i have something to worry about if i book them?

Yes.

Economy - Lousy legroom- 31". Nannying, indifferent staff.

Club - Coffin like flat bed that costs 60% more than most other airlines. Worst business class food in the sky. "Raid the larder" that will contain two bags of walkers crisps and goo paste sandwiches that S and P might have sold in 1995 to be shared amnong 20 passengers.

First - Crowded, dated cabin. Even Thai only puts 10 seats where BA squeezes 14. Most likely full of "re-positioning" BA crew / job club members who will be served before you and be allocated the best seats.

Edinburgh to London only has one class - economy. I have already booked London-Edinburgh-London in August, before the threat of strikes. If there's a strike I will have to make alternative arrangements, such as BMI, or the train. I think if BA strike, the predicted "fighting for survival" threat by Walsh will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

London-Edinburgh-London Does that mean you are living in London, taking a plane to Edinburgh, then going to Bangkok? Was it a typing mistake?

Are you staying in Edinburgh too? :)

Or are you taking that flight for something else other than coming to Bangkok? (probably this one).

Could do BMI anyway, could use the miles (even though it's 420 or something) to put with my Qatar miles (BMI and Qatar partners and i'm coming to Bangkok with them).

Edited by Enjibenji

British airways owns around 85% of the planes in the sky.

They lease them to carriers which is a major chunk of their business model.

If other airlines are failing, british airways will be hurting right along with them.

Sometimes it sucks to have a monopoly.

please enlighten me with more details of this revelation.

Just google British airways leasing.

100's of articles related to their leasing to airlines but nothing on percentages, sorry :D

Both of my brothers are in aircraft maintenance for BA and it's common knowledge in the airline industry about the monopoly BA holds in leasing.

Ask anyone in the industry,you will hear the same thing.

Well, not one to just go on a few lines of text, i decided to do some actual research. Take a peak at this link and perhaps you will change your mind as to your original statement mate. :)

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/...anies-2008.html

i'm needing to buy tickets from edinburgh to london (going to bangkok) on august and coming back september.

should i have something to worry about if i book them?

Yes.

Economy - Lousy legroom- 31". Nannying, indifferent staff.

Club - Coffin like flat bed that costs 60% more than most other airlines. Worst business class food in the sky. "Raid the larder" that will contain two bags of walkers crisps and goo paste sandwiches that S and P might have sold in 1995 to be shared amnong 20 passengers.

First - Crowded, dated cabin. Even Thai only puts 10 seats where BA squeezes 14. Most likely full of "re-positioning" BA crew / job club members who will be served before you and be allocated the best seats.

Edinburgh to London only has one class - economy. I have already booked London-Edinburgh-London in August, before the threat of strikes. If there's a strike I will have to make alternative arrangements, such as BMI, or the train. I think if BA strike, the predicted "fighting for survival" threat by Walsh will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

London-Edinburgh-London Does that mean you are living in London, taking a plane to Edinburgh, then going to Bangkok? Was it a typing mistake?

Are you staying in Edinburgh too? :)

Or are you taking that flight for something else other than coming to Bangkok? (probably this one).

Could do BMI anyway, could use the miles (even though it's 420 or something) to put with my Qatar miles (BMI and Qatar partners and i'm coming to Bangkok with them).

No, I live in Bangkok, but I'm travelling on CX, transitting through London, to Edinburgh, and returning through H'row for stopover in London.

Crap Airline, Crap staff. Next.

Well, be a sport, please supply me with the name of an airline which is not crap, including the staff.

UTA when it existed and personally I think thai airways and singapore airline staff are good KLM TOO. Better than other companies like Air france or qantas.

The Worst:

Aeroflot (1 time was enough not to mention the plane was on the verge of falling apart)

qantas

Air france

British airways

all italian airlines