I Need Good General Advice For Gaining A Uk Visitor Visa For My Thai Girlfriend

Hi.

In a few weeks my girlfriend is applying for her first visitor visa for the UK. I think between us we meet all the criteria:

- She is working and her employer will write a letter guaranteeing she can go back to her job

- I have a house and earn a good wage

- I have over six months of bank records and proof of supporting her

- We have evidence of relationship over 6 months from telephone records and photographs

What I'd like is some good general advice please as I want to maximise the chances of the visa being granted. What are the main things I can do and things I shouldn't do? Are there any good tips for filling in the visa application form?

Although I earn a good wage I don't have much in the way of savings. Is this likely to affect the chances of the visa being granted?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Simon.

To be granted a visit visa she will need to show that, on the balance of probabilities, she:-

Is a genuine visitor who will leave the UK when, or before, her visa expires.

She can support and acommodate herself for the duration of her visit without recourse to public funds or employment in the UK; either from her own resources, those of a sponsor or a combination of both. Savings are not important provided your joint income is sufficient to pay for the trip.

As her sponsor, you should write a covering letter outlining a brief history of your relationship, the reason for her visit at this time and what your future plans together are.

If you are helping to fund the visit then you should provide evidence of your ability to do so; I would recommend the last 6 months payslips and bank statements.

If you are providing acommodation then you should briefly describe such accomodation to show that there is room for her. If you own the property then include a mortgage statement or some other proof of ownership. If you rent then a letter from your landlord granting her permission to stay there.

You should also include a copy of your passport to show your status in the UK, e.g. British citizen, and how often you have visited her in Thailand.

The best tip for completing the application is to tell the truth; don't try and 'beef up' the application or in any other way make it look better than it is. The ECOs are wise to all the tricks.

You may find the following helpful:-

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Supporting documents, Social visit

For how and where to apply, fees etc. see UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok

Edited by 7by7

I am hoping to bring my Thai gf over to the UK in May 2010 and I am helping her with her visa application.

I'm a little confused by the section on Income and Expenditure in particular these questions.

What money is available to you for your trip?

Who will pay for your travel to the UK?

Who will pay for your expenses such as accommodation and food?

If someone other than yourself is paying for all or any part of this trip, how much money will they give you?

What is the cost to you personally of your stay in the UK?

My gf works for the Ministry of Labour in Isaan so she is probably not too badly off compared to many in that area but a trip to th UK is well beyond her means but between my daughter and I we are easily able to pay for her flight and accommodation. She will stay at my house to start with and then join some of my family on a trip to Scotland where she may well freeze to death lol. So that she is not dependent on me for money I will send funds to her for her return flight and some extra so that she will be financially able to return herself to Thailand.

If I send money to her it then becomes hers not mine so that money "is available to her for the trip" and would be used for "the cost to her personally of her stay in the UK" This would also mean I am not paying for her trip.

Am I reading this the right way or not? Then again maybe I'm being a bit picky?

Have just went through this with my Thai GF and am waiting to hear back from the Embassy. She had her appointment on June 8th.

She is coming over for a 2 week holiday before her final exams at the end of July.

In truth, despite her being fluent in English with a masters degree it was a nightmare to get all the information from her. Took we 2/3 weeks but to give her credit she got everything she said she would, the typical Thai, laid back attitude won't wash though, she needs to be proactive and get her finger out.

The icing on the cake was her forgetting my photocopy of passport and having to go back and hand it in. Was "stuck in the envelope".

My only advice is prepare, prepare, prepare. Make sure you include ALL documents.

I have no idea if she will get a visa or not, I can't see any reason why she won't but am concious she may have missed a document out or something stupid like that.

Good luck

Edited by brian272727

If her employer are some Nana bars, hold the employer letter.

They all tell me me they are student of some sort. And their English are all quick good.

Why did you bother posting this rubbish, the OP was asking for advice.

I am hoping to bring my Thai gf over to the UK in May 2010 and I am helping her with her visa application.

I'm a little confused by the section on Income and Expenditure in particular these questions.

If someone other than yourself is paying for all or any part of this trip, how much money will they give you?

My gf works for the Ministry of Labour in Isaan so she is probably not too badly off compared to many in that area but a trip to th UK is well beyond her means but between my daughter and I we are easily able to pay for her flight and accommodation. She will stay at my house to start with and then join some of my family on a trip to Scotland where she may well freeze to death lol. So that she is not dependent on me for money I will send funds to her for her return flight and some extra so that she will be financially able to return herself to Thailand.

If I send money to her it then becomes hers not mine so that money "is available to her for the trip" and would be used for "the cost to her personally of her stay in the UK" This would also mean I am not paying for her trip.

If you are sending her the money then you are paying for the trip!

Answer the questions truthfully. Lot's of people get visas when their sponsor is paying for the trip. It is not a problem.

Trying to hide the fact that you are paying for the trip is a problem; one that will probably result in a refusal if discovered, which it almost certainly will be.

As her sponsor you can fund her trip. The money doesn't have to be in her bank account.

If you read 7by7's earlier post that covers just about everything. Providing proof that she will return to Thailand at the end of her trip is always the most difficult part. Also a good sponsors letter explaining her trip and your relationship is a must.

If you are sending her the money then you are paying for the trip!

Answer the questions truthfully. Lot's of people get visas when their sponsor is paying for the trip. It is not a problem.

Trying to hide the fact that you are paying for the trip is a problem; one that will probably result in a refusal if discovered, which it almost certainly will be.

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't thinking of hiding the fact that I am sending the money, as you say it shouldn't be a problem. My point was that if I send her money it's then hers and I have no control over what she uses it for and anything she buys with it is hers not mine.

I didn't want to cause confusion which as your reply shows is very easy to do without realising. I never thought it could be seen that way.

I suppose that if she says that I am paying then it should be more transparent.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I was in the same boat as before, although I have applied for many work visas in many different countries I wanted to get this one right the first time as I didnt want to upset my girlfriend if refused. I used one of those visa agencies for my girlfriends first application and she got refused and a BLACK refusal stamp in the back of her passport. I questioned the refusal as we had everything together correctly and after 3 stressfull days she was asked to come back to the Embassy with her passport and she was granted the visa. The reason for refusal was she had no reason for return. I now do them for her myself and have also done them for friends with Thai wives/GFs.

Its a bit like going to a court of law, you have to present your case and you have to present it well. You have to cover all the bases or you WILL get refused. For example, if you say my girlfriend lives in Issan and she gets the bus to meet me at Suvarnaphumi Airport and then we both head down to Pattaya for a 2 week holiday, the British Consulate will say where's her bus ticket, wheres your flight itinery, wheres the taxi reciept of 2 people going to Pattaya on the day you flew in? and wheres the reciept from the Hotel you both stayed in (with both your names on it?)

She will need to get information about her parents, their age, address etc. Its not as easy as people think and if you dont have everything together you will get refused and the black refusal stamp in her passport! Tell her to ignore the touts outside the VFS office offering to check her file as they dont know what they are doing and it will be a waist of 300 baht+.

Heres a check list of what you will need and if you cant get all of it together dont apply.

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Completed VAF1 <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">6 months minimum proof of communication <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Photos of each other <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Emails from each other <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Your phone bills with her number on them (originals and copies) <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Cover letter from You explaining how and where you met in Thailand and inviting her to the UK <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Proof of where you are both going to stay in the UK (mortgage statement/rental contract) If she is to stay with your parents you will need an invitation letter from them and their mortgage statement/deeds for their home. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">6 months bank statements and any savings from You. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Proof of work from You (work contract) <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">6 months pay slips from You <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Proof of Her employment (if she's unemployed she needs to explain why and where she gets her money from for food etc i.e. from you. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Cover letter from Her employer saying she can have the time off and her job will still be there when she gets back. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Her bank books and photo copies of all pages <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Money in Her bank (minimum 40,000 baht) <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Proof of any assets, house, motorbike, car, land etc. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Copy of Her Thai ID card <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Her Passport <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Copy of Her passport <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">All immigration pages from Your passport showing your entry and exit stamps in all Countries and signed by you. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Copy of Your passport main page. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Flight Itinerary/reservation of when you plan to go <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Reason for the trip <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Any hotel reservations with both your names on them <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Travel insurance for her. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Reason for return to Thailand (this is the main reason for refusal)
  • Needs to be presented in a clear plastic folder and in order.

You should also get her to sign a Data Protection act letter aswell, here's an example.

Chok Dee

Moo. 12 Jan Yai

Amphoe Kantharalak

Si Saket

Thailand

1st June 2008

British Embassy

Visa Section

1031 Wireless Road

Lumpini,

Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

Thailand

Dear Sir/Madam

Re; My Visa (tourist) application for Miss Wanpoo Longsay (Tik)

I give you my full permission in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1988 (UK) to contact any person with regard to my visa application for the UK.

Yours Faithfully

Signed here..................................

Attached is a copy of my ID card and passport

Hi.

In a few weeks my girlfriend is applying for her first visitor visa for the UK. I think between us we meet all the criteria:

- She is working and her employer will write a letter guaranteeing she can go back to her job

- We have evidence of relationship over 6 months from telephone records and photographs

What I'd like is some good general advice please as I want to maximise the chances of the visa being granted. What are the main things I can do and things I shouldn't do? Are there any good tips for filling in the visa application form?

Although I earn a good wage I don't have much in the way of savings. Is this likely to affect the chances of the visa being granted?

Simon.

Check_list.pdf

PM me as I sent you info on UK visas but it didnt post correctly, dont know why. Trying again.

Completed VAF1

6 months minimum proof of communication

Photos of each other

Emails from each other

Gordon's phone bills with your number on them (originals and copies)

Cover letter from Gordon explaining how you met and inviting you to the UK

Proof of where you are both going to stay in the UK (mortgage statement/rental contract) If she is to stay with your parents you will need an invitation letter from them and their mortgage statement/deeds for their home.

6 months bank statements and any savings from Gordon

Proof of work from Gordon

6 months pay slips from Gordon

Proof of Tik's employment (if she's unemployed she needs to explain why and where she gets her money from for food etci.e. from you.

Cover letter from Tik's employer saying she can have the time off.

Tik's bank books and photo copies of all pages

Money in Tik's bank (minimum 40,000 baht)

Proof of any assets, house, motorbike, car, land etc.

Copy of Tik's Thai ID card

Tik's Passport

Copy of Tik's passport

All immigration pages from Gordon's passport showing his entry and exit stamps in all Countries and signed by him.

Copy of Gordon's passport

Flight Itinerary/reservation of when you plan to go

Reason for the trip

Any hotel reservations with both your names on them

Travel insurance for her.

Reason for return to Thailand (this is the main reason for refusal)

Needs to be presented in a clear plastic folder and in order.

Hi.

Simon.

Hi.

Simon.

Hi Simon

Looks like many have given help needed using a combination of the points mentioned will help to get the visa however remember to write a letter of invite to her to visit for holiday and little bit about what you will do. Also add that you will be off work at the time to spend time together. I have todate helped 21 friends with tourist visa and 10 with wifes visa with no refusals to simply remeber points are: Bank statement both you, phone records, hotels/resorts habit together, emails, if you use phone cards or cheap call numbers then state which ones highlite your phone bill, home mortgage statement or lease/rent letter, return to work letter for her, your own sponsors letter written to the embassy, photo's of you together, the main point is for her to prove your relationship together and after the visit she has reason to return important family ties, job to return to, home of her own/ lease agreement of her own, I notice one person has said in your letter add about your future intentions do not best to state after spending time together in Thailand you want to invite her to visit your country for a holiday to vist your family and friends and all the nice places to visit same you have done in thailand. the important thing is for you to fill out a form together and then for her to copy all the correct info onto a new form in her handwriting.

my girlfriends appointment was 27th may and her appointment to pick up her bits was 19th june, gladly we was successfull,

i live in koh samui and have a decent business here, and i believe that helped, were only going back for 3 weeks as my parents are renewing there wedding vowels (35yrs)

what the people have said is correct, but in honesty the more paperwork you give the better, we included everything we could to proove the relationship, even pictures with us when our dog was a puppy and some now hes fully grown,

what im trying to say is "every little bit helps" i even went to a travel agent and got quotes for flights and included them.

good luck

Hi folks,

I don't have any advice to offer, just a query. What's wrong with a girlfiend just applying for a tourist visa? Surely the millions of tourists who come to the UK every year don't have to go through all that procedure? How long does a tourist visa last?

A couple of years ago a retired Englishman, about 73 years of age, tried to get his Chinese fiance into the UK. It was their intention to marry, they knew each other for years. She was a doctor. Her application was refused mainly on the grounds the man was too old and it would clearly be a marriage of convenience. She was in her thirties. Can't a 73 year old fall in love?

The problem of course is the total ineptitude and laxity of the immigration authority in the UK over the years. The flood gates of immigration have been wide open for decades, they don't know how many illegal immigrants there are, foreign gangsters and people traffickers have become established in organized crime, there is a constant flow of drug 'mules' from the Caribbean filling our women's prisons. The Immigration Dept. headquarters Lunar House in Croydon has meen nicknamed 'Lunatic House'. In short the pricks who run this country are now getting the wind up and genuine people are being victimized.

Hi folks,

I don't have any advice to offer, just a query. What's wrong with a girlfiend just applying for a tourist visa? Surely the millions of tourists who come to the UK every year don't have to go through all that procedure? How long does a tourist visa last?

All visit visa usually last for 6 months, and all applicants who are visa nationals have to complete the relevant form and provide the relevant documents; regardless of whether they are applying for a tourist, social, family, business visit or whatever.

Those who are not visa nationals have to abide by the same rules. Although they don't need to apply for a visa in advance they can only stay for a maximum of 6 months, cannot work etc., and if immigration at their port of entry feel that they are not a genuine visitor then they can be questioned and may be asked to provide documentary evidence. If they cannot satisfy immigration then they can be refused entry.

One should apply for the type of visa applicable to one's visit. Making up stories is a sure fire way of being refused. There are questions on the application form about who is paying for the trip, whether the applicant has friends or family in the UK, whether they will be travelling with anyone.

For example, a girl who earns 100baht a day on a rice farm applies for a tourist visa. First question the ECO is going to ask is where the money is coming from! How does she answer? Get caught in a lie, wave the visa bye bye!

Another girl in the same situation applies to visit her British boyfriend. They can show they have a genuine relationship and that her sponsor has the funds for the visit. Result? As many can testify; a visa.

In an ideal world anyone who wishes would be able to come to the UK for whatever reason they choose for as long as they like; and I would be able to live in Thailand with my Thai wife without having to prove an income of 40,000baht a month and having to report to the MFA every 90 days!

Its not an ideal world, and, IMHO, the blame for tight visa regulations lies firmly with those who have abused the hospitality of host countries in the past.

Hi guys.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I think I'm feeling even more nervous about my g/f getting her visa now than before. Not because there's any good reason she might be refused, but because there seems to be even more evidence/documentation to provide than I previously realised, and hence more opportunity to make mistakes.

A general question about the length of the visit. As I understand it the length of a tourist visa is 6 months? The plan for the visit is to spend some time sightseeing, but also to spend some time living normal life. Obviously she can't work on a tourist visa, so by normal life I mean I go to work, she stays at home entertaining herself and preparing delicious Isaan food for me. We need some time like this so she can see how she gets on with England and find out if she can settle here at some point in the future. I don't think it would be a good idea to say all that on the tourist visa application. I'm thinking I should state that she is coming over here for a couple of months just for holiday, sightseeing and meeting friends/family. She could then stay longer than that up to the length of the visa. Does this sound like a particularly good/bad idea? Any obvious problems with this approach that I may have missed?

Regarding flights/reservations. On the visa application my g/f will state her intended date of travel. I'm reluctant to spend money on a flight until the visa has been granted just in case it's refused or delayed due to the extra cost of changing dates on tickets. Is providing the intended flight numbers and dates adequate, or should I just bite the bullet and buy the tickets?

My g/f has family and a job to return to after her visit. Are there any other reasons she should state? What's the best way of phrasing this on the application?

Does my g/f actually need 40K baht sitting idle in her account? She has more than that passing through her account each month with her salary and the support I send to her.

7by7 - I've got all the necessary bank statements, payslips and mortgage documents together thanks. No emails though as my g/f's not online. I will tell the truth (with the possible exception of length of stay) and not attempt to make the application look better than it is.

Misterphil - I met my girl at the beginning of a month long stay in Thailand last year and then visited her again for two and a half weeks in April/may this year. While we spent all that time together I don't have receipts for anything we did together. We spent time in Laos and Cambodia, travelling by coach and staying in hotels arranged by a travel agent, but I paid in cash and didn't keep the receipt. We flew to Isaan on my last trip to visit her parents, but I paid for the flights in cash. Both times we stayed in Bangkok I paid for the hotels by cash and didn't have any reservations. Is the embassy likely to find this lack of evidence suspicious? We do both have the appropriate stamps in our passports for travelling to Laos and Cambodia, and the dates match on those showing we travelled together.

Apologies if it looks to you experienced guys that I'm getting myself hung up on details here. I just want to do my best to make sure everything goes smoothly, we'd both be really upset if she can't come to stay with me.

Thanks,

Simon.

The visa will be for 6 months, unless the ECO has some reason to doubt her intentions but not enough to refuse. In which case it may be shorter. For example, if she says she intends to stay for a month but the ECO is doubtful about this then they may issue a visa that is valid for only 1 month!

Also, everyone's circumstances can change. If she said on the application she only wants to stay for a month and is given a standard 6 month visa then she would not be breaking any laws or rules if she then stayed for the full 6 months. However, she may be asked to explain the reasons for staying longer than stated when she next applies.

So fully explain the reason for, and actual intended duration of, the visit as you have done above.

This will also help with her reason to return. If the ECO is satisfied that you are a genuine couple and may wish to apply for settlement in the future then the ECO will also feel that she is unlikely to jeopardise any future settlement application by overstaying a visit.

The advise from the embassy is to not pay for any travel tickets until one has got the visa; so don't. However, you should say when she wishes to travel and when she intends to return.

Family, on it's own, is not deemed a reason to return. Many Thais travel long distances, often abroad, to work and send money home to their family. Having said that, she should fill in the appropriate parts of the application form regarding her family.

You should give details of her job in your covering letter, and she should obtain a letter from her employer confirming whether or not they will keep her job open for her. Be careful, though. Very few, if any, Thai employers give more than 2 weeks holiday to their staff. The ECO may not believe that her boss will keep her job open for her for 6 months. If her boss is willing to do so, then the employers letter must make this clear, and say why.

She does not need any money sitting idle in her bank! All you have to do is show that between the two of you there are sufficient funds for the visit. If she is going to be staying with you then obviously she will not need a large amount once in the UK, simply some spending money. There is no minimum figure as every case is different. Someone saying that they are a tourist staying in hotels will obviously need more money than someone staying with friends or family.

You do not need receipts etc to prove you have stayed in hotels together! In your letter explain, briefly, the history of your relationship and cross reference to the matching entry/exit stamps in your passports. Include any photos you have of one or other of you, and if possible both of you, in the various places you have visited. You do not need to e-mail each other, but include phone records to show your contact. If you use a low cost access number or phone cards then say so and highlight these numbers on your phone bill.

Considering how much some posters seem to relish making obtaining a visit visa seem next to impossible, it is unsurprising that you are worried. However, the plain fact is that it is actually very easy; provided you make sure that you have everything covered and any possible questions by the ECO already answered.

On average, well over 90% of visit applications in Bangkok are granted. The burden of proof lies with the applicant, and the most common reason for a refusal is that the applicant did qualify, but failed to show that they did! So prepare properly and ask us any questions you need to.

Edited by 7by7

How do you get a tourist visa for your girlfriend if you work in Thailand and earn THB35,000?   I tried naming my parents as sponsors but they don't have alot of money-my mother works part time.  Needless to say my visa was refused, partly because my girlfriend is a nurse and therefore, having a low salary, she obviously doesnt have a reason to return to Thailand(!) ,despite the fact that she would be returning with me!

Any suggestions?

How do you get a visa? Apply and show that you meet the criteria, one of which is being able to afford the trip, with the help of one or more sponsors if necessary.

If you want specific comments on a previous refusal then we will need to see exactly what the refusal notice said.

Thanks for you reply 7by7. You've reduced my stress level by a few notches!

I don't want to prejudice any future visa applications so I'll go with the truth regarding length and purpose of stay. The truth is she wants to stay for 3 months so that's what I'll say. She may want to extend to 6 months, but that's only a possibility rather than a plan at this point.

We know which flight she would like to travel on so I will provide those details, but not actually purchase tickets yet. Her boss at the restaurant where she works seems fine about letting her come back after even six months, and is happy to say so in a letter. Good news about not needing money sitting in her bank. We're planning on visiting friends around the country, not staying in hotels.

I have a few dozen photos of us together, and dozens more we've taken of each other at various locations. All phone bills since we met have been retained, and I'll be sure to highlight the access number I use to call every day.

So....it looks like I'm all set. Unfortunately I can't be in Thailand to make the application with her so I'll be sending a large bundle of documentation over next week. I think that with your help, and the others on this forum, I am finally prepared and have everything I need to make the best case possible. If I think of any last minute issues I'm not sure about I may ask some more questions. Otherwise, keep your fingers crossed for us.

Thanks again, and all the best,

Simon.

Anyone applying for a UK tourist visa needs to apply in plenty of time. It used to be quick, but in early June the UK Embassy announced that the processing time will be 4-6 weeks. They also said that the longer stay settlement visas were taking 12 weeks now, but there are many howls of anguish on another thread about delays longer than this. Best to leave 2 months for processing before the journey to be safe I think.

My girlfriend is waiting for a tourist visa - applied June 8th. Do any posters have any experience to share about the length of time they have been waiting, if it is already over 4 weeks? I can see that the dilatory UK immigaration folks are going to screw up my honeymoon!

"The advise (sic) from the embassy is to not pay for any travel tickets until one has got the visa; so don't. However, you should say when she wishes to travel and when she intends to return."

Yes - they say that, but then the Application Form also asks the applicant to attach "details of any hotels/flight bookings". I'm not sure where you can get "flight bookings" (as opposed to a mere selection of a flight from an airline timetable, which surely is worthless to an immigration officer as evidence of intent to return) without paying. Also I note that their current pre-recorded telephone message says that applications will be cleared in order of the priority of flight dates.

The intent to return seems to be all important to UK Border (and was the sole purpose of the grilling I got from 'the man at the podium' at LHR the first and previous time I came back to the UK with my girlfriend. It is incidentally worth accompanying her if you can - relieves a lot of stress for her and I hung around the UK Border podiums last time in case my girlfriend had any problems. I could see she was beginning to get a bit harrassed by the immi guy. He seemed quite pleased to talk to me and beckoned me over when my gf was about to burst into tears. He was reasonably pleasant, but clearly he had none of the evidence of my good character and wealth in front of him so started from a presumption that I was a pimp!!)

Taking all this together I thought for this second visit that it was probably worthwhile buying a ticket on the internet that was cheap, but which allowed a change of flight date at minimal cost. This surely gives an immigration officer good evidence of intent to return, but protects your downside. It takes a bit of research and knowledge which part of the web-site to get the fare rules but I found (I used Opodo.com as I have done for 3 years) that Emirates were as cheap as anyone on their BKK to London (LGW) to BKK route and the change of flight date cost for her ticket was minimal (£25 or £30 from memory). Do not rely on me though - do your own checking).

Maybe the change of flight charge is cheap going westbound first because the ticket is so expensive to start with. I think my Thai girlfriend's ticket cost about £700 (outbound from BKK 15 July return early Spetember) and has a cheap change clause on any leg and all other airlines - except Jet (Mumbai? no way!) - were no cheaper for the tocket price. My ticket going Eastbound first from LGW to BKK in late May and coming back with her on Emirates on 15 July was only £375 return but costs £75 to change any leg of the flight.

Why do the airlines charge so much more for a return flight from BKK than from LGW? Who knows? I think I've seen that debated on TV.com before with no real result. As always they charge what they can get - perhaps the airlines also know about the surge in applications at Regent House!

Edited by SantiSuk

Its interesting the lengths that some people have to go to / have gone to but i agree with most of whats been said. One thing that would add to your case is if you took her somewhere else first - a weekend in Cambodia/Malaysia etc - would show she's left Thailand before

When my girlfriend went to UK on 6 month tourist visa last year we just followed the principles: be truthful and transparent, show why she's going, show that she wont work illegally and has money to support her stay (that was demonstrated by my own bank account and income) and lastly but most importantly demonstrate she'll return to thailand - that could be she has a job to come back to, family,a busines, property or whatever will give them reason to believe she WILL return.

We sailed through the visa application, and telephone interview . in the interview she knew enough about me and my family to demonstrate we are in a real relationship and she was totally believeable why she wanted to go etc etc.

Now the best part was that on the back of the UK visa we were able to get a USA visa for a two week holiday in florida - returning to uk after the holiday. She got this visa in Thailand before she left Thailand for the UK and again sailed though.

Be prepared for questions on arriving in the UK also - my gf was interviewed for 3/4 hour while they continually asked similar questions in diofferent ways to try and catch her out (mostly work related or are we going to get married - remember thats a different visa so the answer was a definate NO !). Again, she was on the level and therefore her answers were believeable and she was eventually allowed though.

When we did go to USA, we passed throught both USA immigration and UK immigration on our return without any problem. The first entry is always the hardest !

"The advise (sic) from the embassy is to not pay for any travel tickets until one has got the visa; so don't. However, you should say when she wishes to travel and when she intends to return."

Yes - they say that, but then the Application Form also asks the applicant to attach "details of any hotels/flight bookings". I'm not sure where you can get "flight bookings" (as opposed to a mere selection of a flight from an airline timetable, which surely is worthless to an immigration officer as evidence of intent to return) without paying. Also I note that their current pre-recorded telephone message says that applications will be cleared in order of the priority of flight dates.

Apologies for the typo. I wont bother pointing out yours!

Obviously, if one has a travel itinerary then that should be attached, including flight bookings if made. I suggest that the recorded message says 'flight' for brevity.

Even if one does have a return ticket, this is not on it's own accepted as a reason to return. If someone intends to overstay and work illegally in the UK then losing the cost of a return ticket is a worthwhile expense.

Having said that, although there is no requirement under the rules to have a return or onward ticket, if visitor turns up at a UK port of entry without one then they will probably be questioned by immigration as to their intentions.

Anyone applying for a UK tourist visa needs to apply in plenty of time. It used to be quick, but in early June the UK Embassy announced that the processing time will be 4-6 weeks. They also said that the longer stay settlement visas were taking 12 weeks now, but there are many howls of anguish on another thread about delays longer than this. Best to leave 2 months for processing before the journey to be safe I think.

My girlfriend is waiting for a tourist visa - applied June 8th. Do any posters have any experience to share about the length of time they have been waiting, if it is already over 4 weeks? I can see that the dilatory UK immigaration folks are going to screw up my honeymoon!

My girlfriend also applied on the 8th June, not heard anything yet.

One thing that is worrying me, is my lack of bank statements, my girfriend does have 3k in savings and she has shown this, also I stated that she will be paying for the trip. I did include my payslips however. Hope this is not reason enough to refuse us.

A friend of mine applied on 26th May, and is still waiting.

One thing that is worrying me, is my lack of bank statements, my girfriend does have 3k in savings and she has shown this, also I stated that she will be paying for the trip. I did include my payslips however. Hope this is not reason enough to refuse us.

I also hope that your girlfriend will not be refused because you didn't supply them, but it does mention them in the list of supporting document's. But as the VFS staff did not comment on their absence, I presume, then your pay slips may suffice. When you say your girlfriend has savings of 3k, is that Baht or UK Pounds? she has to convince the ECO that she has sufficient funds available for the trip, be it her money of that of her sponsor.

Regarding the processing of applications, 7by7 is absolutely correct the term flights on the telephone message is for brevity, they are clearing applications by the planned flight date as stated on the visa application.

Edited for typos

Edited by theoldgit

A friend of mine applied on 26th May, and is still waiting.

I also hope that your girlfriend will not be refused because you didn't supply them, but it does mention them in the list of supporting document's. But as the VFS staff did not comment on their absence, I presume, then your pay slips may suffice. When you say your girlfriend has savings of 3k, is that Baht or UK Pounds? she has to convince the ECO that she has sufficient funds available for the trip, be it her money of that of her sponsor.

Regarding the processing of applications, 7by7 is absolutely correct the term flights on the telephone message is for brevity, they are clearing applications by the planned flight date as stated on the visa application.

Edited for typos

She is 150,000 baht so £3000 in savings.

All I said was that I would pay half her flight ticket and showed that I earned £40,000 a year via my P60 and payslips. I omitted my bank statements as I am technically not sponsoring her financially, only providing a roof over her head. I stated this in her application and sponsors letter, I said that she would pay for any food and entertainment and would reside with me. I showed proof I own my home.

I am not sure if I am worrying unneccesarily. She has 2 months of her MBA course to finish at Uni, so needs to return to complete this and graduate in October, has travelled outside Thailand 10 times + including a trip to KL with me, owns land, a 2 year old car and has good savings. Its not her circumstanes that bother me rather some technicality like a missing document or dodgy passport photo.

Interesting that your friend is still waiting to hear, I guess the 4-6 week timescale is realistic and we are not going to see any early decisions :-(

Good luck to him anyway :-)

Edited by brian272727