Whats Your Favorite Pub?

sbk

Used to go to the Toby Jub in Silom (gornn)and Bobbys (not the same)in Pats Place ..but now tend to spend my time floating between Gullivers (soi5 )the Offshore (yeah I know)Londoner on 2 for 1 nights and the old fav for the 'one for the Road' ...Bulls Head. :)

Good for Villa Mkt and can pick up newspapers.cheese and half price french bread befor jumping a taxi home (Sam Prat-Roi Bt )

• 1 month later...

I like Princess Terrace Pub & Restaurant @ 94 Charoennakorn Soi 21, Charoennakorn Rd. that was just opened not long ago.

Good selection of drinks and food. They also have karaoke for a night when I feel like singing :)

It's by the riverside, so the view is also a great plus... unlike the other "stuck" in city view I always see.

Search for "Princess Terrace" and you can find their website.

post-60101-1245351320_thumb.jpg

Thong Tapan, Thong Nai Pan Noi, Koh Phangan

Is Bar Nu still around on TNP Yai?

That Austrian guy got excellent burgers and cocktails.

Guy's Bar on Fridays. Coolness! Location? Well, the people on KPN should know where it is.

In BKK, I don't have a fave bar. Could not be assed to drag myself out to bar on the WE.

A buddy of mine keeps dragging me to the Heidelberg. I like the German food there.

And how could I forget Cafe Uno in Chaweng. A bar for the whole day and sweet staff.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Bpuu's Bar opposite Chain Bungalo on the dirt road leading to White Sand in Lamai Koh Samui.

About the size of your average bathroom, has one table, half a dozen plastic chairs and about 6 ft of bar space.

Old Bpuu, a Swedish guy who stays at White Sand gave someone a couple of grand to open a bar where he could get a drink on the way back to his hut after the hurley burley of Lamai.

Sue (I no have boyfriend) will stay open all night if you want to keep drinking.

I must congratulate Bpuu on his forward thinking as many a time I have dropped in for a night cap or six before stumbling the 30 metres to my hut.

Bullys and Robin Hood (75bt a pint of tiger after 4pm at Robin Hoods) - newspapers, internet. For food Huntsman terrace. Soi 8 on a Friday - free bbq and always bump into people. The Black Swann has a nice old world English pub feel to it. Cheap Charlies for a late drink.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I like CrossBar (no I've nothing to do with it), free parking in Sino Thai over the road and handy for the office. Also use the Pickled Liver (formerly The Old Bell, Soi 11) both friendly, reasonably quiet and I can take the Missus without getting kicked on the ankle too often.

Occasionaly sit outside the Corner Bar at the end of Cowboy opposite The Old Dutch and watch the floozies arriving for work :)

I like CrossBar (no I've nothing to do with it), free parking in Sino Thai over the road and handy for the office. Also use the Pickled Liver (formerly The Old Bell, Soi 11) both friendly, reasonably quiet and I can take the Missus without getting kicked on the ankle too often.

Occasionaly sit outside the Corner Bar at the end of Cowboy opposite The Old Dutch and watch the floozies arriving for work :D

Only downsoud to the Crossbar is you stand a good chance of having Toady slobber on you if you get there too late in the afternoon :) . That being said, Brian makes a great lasagna!

• 3 months later...
What about someplace where the beer isn't something like 300 baht a glass? Landmark is nice but rather paeng, isn't it?

Carrefour food court. THB 130 a jug, or something ridiculous like that

Different atmosphere from most of the other places mentioned,

SC

:) cheers, so, atmosphere of any kind comes at a rather steep price, is what you are saying? Or are you assuming that the Landmark is the only kind of atmosphere there is?

I'm saying that if I was making a decision about whether to meet friends in the Landmark or somewhere else, the alternative wouldn't be Carrefour food court. On the other hand, if I was making arrangements to meet friends for a drink near the office, Carrefour food court would be up there alongside various Thai places the names of which I don't know.

I don't understand why beer in Western pubs is half again the price in Thai places, when generally, Western fellas will swill a lot more beer a lot quicker than Thais. And the Western pubs are generally quite busy as well. I suppose they charge those prices because they can, and people will still pay.

I'm overseas just now; I found the cheapest beer was in an Indian place, that sold exceptionally strong Indian beer in big bottles which left you with a memory like a newly cleaned white board, and a similar smell as well. I'm frightenend to go back...

SC

I don't understand why beer in Western pubs is half again the price in Thai places, when generally, Western fellas will swill a lot more beer a lot quicker than Thais. And the Western pubs are generally quite busy as well. I suppose they charge those prices because they can, and people will still pay.

AC, clean western toilets, good music, maybe live music and garantee other costumers who can speak English.

Happy to pay a few baht more for this.

Cheers :)

where I live they ain't got no pubs...if yew wanna drink beer yew go down the bus station and sit at one of the food stalls...they got sum karaoeke places around but that's where yew go to get laid, not to drink and socialize...

come to think of it, I've never seen a thai pub...what do they look like? :)

not havin' a pub around don't matter much to me these days...in my dotage I stay away from crowded, noisy places...easier to get drunk at home an' talk to meself; I always say the things that I want to hear... :D

I'll second the vote for the Black Swan, it's expensive, but the environment and food make up for the price. They do the only "Yorkie" I've had in town that wasn't sitting in a puddle of oil.

For a more down-to-earth experience, I like to sit on the side-lines and watch the zoo go by at Khao San from a place called Lucky Beer. They are across from Center Khao San, with much better prices. While I don't really like Khao San in general, the amusement I can get from watching people there is generally higher than the annoyance factor. There's nothing quite like the sense of schadenfreude that can be gained from watching some young "spring-break" frat boy walk down the street with what he thinks is a woman.

My girlfriend gives me heck for enjoying another person's folly, but I guess we all have our own personality flaws... :)

:) cheers, so, atmosphere of any kind comes at a rather steep price, is what you are saying? Or are you assuming that the Landmark is the only kind of atmosphere there is?

What do you want, American style bar and grill, Brit style pub, Aussie style sports bar, bar with a decent atmosphere, a place to go for a quiet drink and relax, or one of those pretentious type places where people go to be seen rather than to enjoy the place.

Atmosphere I have found comes from the company I am with and not one of those plastic tourist traps.

I know it's not Thailand but the question was not qualified by that condition (yeah I know it's ThaiVisa but you may find tourself in HCMC).

Probably my favourite in District 1 (HCMC) is Bar 5 at 44 Duong Pasteur. Draft Tiger 35,000 VND a glass (just under $2 and around 350ml), bit of a/c (not too cold though), a bevvy of beauties behind the bar serving (but no hassle unless requested :) ), reasonable food, reasonable music (all tastes catered) and sports on the three TV screens. Gets a good cross section of working and long time expat residents so conversation is varied.

Over the river in District 2, a scruffy cafe (can't remember the name) most people wouldn't feed a dog in, no music (well sometimes but only Vietnamese), no beauties serving, food is great but VERY Vietnamese (not dog though), no televisions, no expats (except me). So what's it's attraction? Cold Bia Hoi at 4,000 VND a liter (22 US Cents).

The nearest there is to a pub I can think of in HCMC is Le Pub (bluddy French nicking our institution) just off Pham Ngu Lao in the tourist area near De Tham, not great but a lot better than Allez Boo (Corner of De Tham and Pham Ngu Lao).

Shameless plug - The Sportsman in Washington Square!

Sorry, couldn't resist it...

Didn't go that area for months, where is this bar.

I know the Show theatre, Silver Dollar and Dubliner?

By the way i have many favourite bars, related to: company joining the evening and my mood.

Here a few:

-Robin Hood

-Silver Dollar

-O reilly's

-Bamboo bar (oriental)

-Morning night (Nana) not sure if this is the correcty name, first bar left hand side.

-Londonor

-Molly Malones (Silom)

-Cosmos

By the way i have many favourite bars, related to: company joining the evening and my mood.

Here a few:

-Robin Hood

-Silver Dollar

-O reilly's

-Bamboo bar (oriental)

-Morning night (Nana) not sure if this is the correcty name, first bar left hand side.

-Londonor

-Molly Malones (Silom)

-Cosmos

The Sportsman is located next to The Dubliner but slightly inside Washington Square, if you stand by The Dubliner you're basically right in front of it.

Tonight we have Lee SHamrock playing again and would be a very good night to pop in to say hello...

Cheers,

The Sportsman

Here a few:

-Robin Hood

-Silver Dollar

-O reilly's

-Bamboo bar (oriental)

-Londonor

-Molly Malones (Silom)

-Cosmos

The Sportsman is located next to The Dubliner but slightly inside Washington Square, if you stand by The Dubliner you're basically right in front of it.

Tonight we have Lee SHamrock playing again and would be a very good night to pop in to say hello...

Cheers,

The Sportsman

Thanks, can't go tonight but will go there next week

• 2 weeks later...
Used to go to the Toby Jub in Silom (gornn)and Bobbys (not the same)in Pats Place ..but now tend to spend my time floating between Gullivers (soi5 )the Offshore (yeah I know)Londoner on 2 for 1 nights and the old fav for the 'one for the Road' ...Bulls Head. :)

Good for Villa Mkt and can pick up newspapers.cheese and half price french bread befor jumping a taxi home (Sam Prat-Roi Bt )

Toby Jug moved to Sukhumvit 52. Good fish & chips

London Bar - Hau Hin

Nice ambiance and good music.

Owned by Paul and Toon.

No hassle of bgs.

Plenty of humour and joking.

Coming to Hua Hin in mid Jan.....can you give me a soi.....thanks :)

Hi, Carn't remember the soi, however.... It's on the only bar street in Hau Hin near a temple and the Hilton Hotel. Carn't be more specific.

Edited by coolhandjoe