License Plate Recognition Machine To Be Introduced;

NBT TV Phuket

VDO on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1177

or

Andman-20090618_1177.jpg

item--1--- A License Plate Recognition machine is proposed to be used at Tha Chartchai Check point in Phuket to enhance surveillance measures.

A security system called ‘License Plate Recognition’ is proposed to be utilized at Tha Chartchai check point - the only land gateway to Phuket Island. Having being proposed it by a private firm and demonstrated to how the equipment operates, Phuket Governor Wichai Praisa-Ngob on Wednesday was briefed about the machine at Tha Chartchai check point. It can detect and report clear vehicle number-plates and persons in vehicles. The governor admits that the system is new to Phuket and that it can record the number of times a vehicle passes the system. It can also report a driver’s face and number plate and can call for data back to 6 months. The provincial authority plans to have the system installed in time for the up-coming ministerial meeting and two other regional meetings. This will work alongside the narcotic drugs detection machine – Alpha Six which will also be in place. Governor Wichai stressed that he would block all other land entrances and exits nearby to make sure that anyone or vehicles coming in and out of Phuket Island goes through this check point.

item--2--- Phuket extends networks to mobilize campaign and operation to reduce road accidents risks, while Kathu will be a pioneer location for the new innovation to make sure motorists follow traffic rules.

Related agencies in Phuket pursue with the work to mobilize the campaign in an attempt to reduce road accident rates on the island. The provincial committee is operating under five strategic plans which comprise law enforcement, traffic engineering, public education and participation, emergency medical services and assessments. During an informal gathering on Wednesday, the Provincial Deputy Police Chief Pol. Col. Chalit Thinthanee raised his concerns about high accident rates in Chalong and Tha Chartchai and stated that he had asked local police to talk with local governments to come up with measures and practical operation to reduce the risks and rates. Dr. Wiwat Sritamanote , Deputy Provincial Chief Doctor, told the meeting that his office has been allocated some funds from the Health Promotion Fund to carry out education campaigns and surveillance to make sure that motorists strictly observe traffic law. He points out that Kathu can be a pioneer as best practice location with CCTVs in place and obvious accident rates reduction due to local government’s attention. According to the new program, CCTV will be installed at the Thung Thong police check point after motorists come down from Patong hill to town. If they violate traffic rules their number plates will be recorded and fine notice be issued, either on the spot or sent to their home. If they fail to pay, their license renewal will be halted, he proposed.

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Thursday 18 June 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

& www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

The provincial authority plans to have the system installed in time for the up-coming ministerial meeting and two other regional meetings. This will work alongside the narcotic drugs detection machine – Alpha Six which will also be in place.

Not having the foggiest notion as to what something as ominous-sounding as The Alpha Six was... I decided to have a look see and it's pretty Orwellian:

The ALPHA 6 Detection System

* The ALPHA 6 is a revolutionary product for search and detection of specific contraband substances. The ALPHA 6 is available in two variants, explosive detector and narcotic detector.

* The ALPHA 6 Detection System is a totally unique method of locating contraband in any conditions and from a range of up to 300m. :) The ALPHA 6 works on "Molecular Resonance" and the ALPHA 6 system uses molecular recognition of programmed contrabands.

* The ALPHA 6 is completely passive and has no ill effects on the operators. Nothing can block the molecular tracking of the ALPHA 6 and therefore the ALPHA 6 will find contraband when dogs are fooled by surrounding odors. ALPHA 6 will work from greater range and in conditions where vapor detectors will not.

* The ALPHA 6 is the end product of many years of research into molecular behavior. Whilst the theory is not new, similar technology powers Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanners, the application of the theory into proven technology is the breakthrough of the Alpha 6.

* The ALPHA 6 consists of four parts. An inductor, a conductor and an oscillator which are built into the handle of molecules oscillate at a specific frequency.

* The oscillator within the ALPHA 6 is programmed to oscillate at the same frequency as that of the substance to be located. The oscillator within the ALPHA 6 is powered by the static electricity that is generated in the human body when breathing occurs. These currents are inducted into the ALPHA 6, causing the oscillator, pre-programmed to oscillate at the specific resonant frequency of the search substance.

* Power comes from a transfer of static electricity generated in the human body. The ALPHA 6 then relies on another known physical law. Any charged body in motion generates a magnetic field perpendicular to the direction of motion. This is the principle that all electric motors and generators operate on. Therefore when either the operator or the search substance is in motion, ALPHA 6 will detect the repulsion between the handle and the search substance and will point along the magnetic field generated due to the motion. It is this repulsion that allows the ALPHA 6 to indicate towards a search substance. In simple terms, the molecules in the handle are attracted towards the molecules in the substance resulting in the indication through the antenna.

From their product literature.

Governor Wichai stressed that he would block all other land entrances and exits nearby to make sure that anyone or vehicles coming in and out of Phuket Island goes through this check point.

If that was implemented with this machine could sniff out any controlled substance entering or leaving all of Phuket by road.

Its 300 meter range could cover the entire chokepoint. It can take a "sniff" of every one going on or coming off the island.

Edited by sriracha john

>>According to the new program, CCTV will be installed at the Thung Thong police check point after motorists come down from Patong hill to town. If they violate traffic rules their number plates will be recorded and fine notice be issued, either on the spot or sent to their home. If they fail to pay, their license renewal will be halted, he proposed.

I wonder  how long these cameras will last after someone gets pinched that didn't want to get pinched? 

If they fail to pay, their license renewal will be halted.....

:):D:D ......this assumes two things:

1. the driver has a driver license to be halted in the first place

2. Seeing the 5 year license gets renewed every five years, its going to be long time before they get their fine payed....

Another case of a politican opening their mouth while the gob is not connected to the brain..

I think they mean the vehicle licence, renewed every year.

BTW This has been a common technique for collecting traffic tickets

in LOS for many years now.

Unpaid ticket info is entered on the Road Transport computer

and you are sent to your police station to settle up before you

can get the vehicle tax renewed.

There are also higher fines for paying late!!

* similar technology powers Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanners, the application of the theory into proven technology is the breakthrough of the Alpha 6.

And what happens when you go and get an MRI....they tell you to take off all metal objects, because it c*cks up system !!!!

So to by-pass this new fangled invention is to have whatever you are concealing hidden in something metal......all smoke and mirrors, with some techno-babble thrown in for good measure...

I think they mean the vehicle licence, renewed every year.

BTW This has been a common technique for collecting traffic tickets

in LOS for many years now.

Unpaid ticket info is entered on the Road Transport computer

and you are sent to your police station to settle up before you

can get the vehicle tax renewed.

There are also higher fines for paying late!!

:) ...Of course, never thought of that... :D , dont fine the driver, fine the inanimate object... :D

If you only have the vehicle licence number what other choice is there?

I think you will find this applies in your home country as well?

Of course that would be the only way...

In my country at one time, if they sent you a speeding ticket through the post, you didnt have to pay, as the "ticket" was actually a summons, and a summons for court has to be given to you in your hand, therefore I spent years with a desk draw full of posted speeding tickets. A friend of mine, a lawyer, told me not to pay them, as they couldnt change the law, in the end as you stated above they ended up, refusing to renew you road tax etc unless paid your outstanding tickets, but could get you for contempt of court, if you didnt appear per your summons..ie the ticket

So my sincere apologies...

Edited by Soutpeel

There is a transparent license plate cover you can buy that some how makes it not possible to photograph or record the plate with an optical lens. I used something called "Photo Blocker Spray" in the USA, you just spray the plate and it overexposes the image of your license plate when photographed but for a recognition system you need a "Phantom Plate"

Smokescreen here.

This purchase has everything to do with buying an expensive product and using the opportunity to skim a sizeable wedge of cash off the budget. Same as the CTX scanners in the airport.

It has nothing to do with catching drivers committing motoring offences. More than likely it will not be installed correctly and certainly no maintenance will be done. Databases are often inaccurate, not updated and feudally controlled in Thailand so info is not shared between departments. Many people just stay out of the system. No insurance, no licence, no plate, no registration and there is little centralised effort to reduce their numbers.

The police will continue to use their tried and tested method of road blocks and "on the spot fines".

In my country at one time, if they sent you a speeding ticket through the post, you didnt have to pay, as the "ticket" was actually a summons, and a summons for court has to be given to you in your hand, therefore I spent years with a desk draw full of posted speeding tickets. A friend of mine, a lawyer, told me not to pay them, as they couldnt change the law, in the end as you stated above they ended up, refusing to renew you road tax etc unless paid your outstanding tickets, but could get you for contempt of court, if you didnt appear per your summons..ie the ticket

And some punters wonder why they suddenly have warrants!?

PS. I assume your lawyer buddy was prepared to defend you pro bono when you got busted for heeding his advice?

PPS. Strippers usually keep their speeding tickets in the glovebox. Just so you know.

Edited by NanLaew

There is a transparent license plate cover you can buy that some how makes it not possible to photograph or record the plate with an optical lens. I used something called "Photo Blocker Spray" in the USA, you just spray the plate and it overexposes the image of your license plate when photographed but for a recognition system you need a "Phantom Plate"

Sorry to burst your bubble but most independent tests prove they don't work. Including Mythbusters.

I would love it if it did.

And some punters wonder why they suddenly have warrants!?

PS. I assume your lawyer buddy was prepared to defend you pro bono when you got busted for heeding his advice?

PPS. Strippers usually keep their speeding tickets in the glovebox. Just so you know.

Well first of all its not the US...any yes sending speeding fines through the post was not technically legal, as according to my lawyer buddy its not "due process" and was common knowlege amongst lawyers, and traffic police, and unless you knew this, if you received a fine in the post, the vast majority of people would pay, not knowing.....I never had any warrants out for me certainly.....as mentioned they eventually tacked you fines onto you road tax renewal and wouldnt renew the tax unless you paid your fines...

I did have on ocassion a nice policman come to house to give the fine/summons to me in my hand....which of course I would pay as would have ended up being arrested if I didnt pay...

So never needed a pro-bono lawyer buddy... :)

The machine mentioned will read your plate.

Rumour also said that hairspray could block reading, not true.

The picture is made, and by twiddling the controls of the computer where the police can read he pictures, they can even read plates that are covered by mud.

* The ALPHA 6 is a revolutionary product for search and detection of specific contraband substances. The ALPHA 6 is available in two variants, explosive detector and narcotic detector.

This'll send the druggies into a tizz.

Might be good entertainment.

I can hear the howls of "foul play!" already.

Edited by Texpat

They use number plate recogition in Australia. There if you have an unpaid littering fine,library fine or any fine at all your drivers licence is cancelled. They flag the computer with thenumber plates of vehicles licenced by that person and if stoppped you get charged with driving with a suspended licence and driving an uninsured vehicle. This does not just apply to motor vehicle fines but a whole array of infringments.

Edited by harrry