Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I have 5 year DL for both car and bike that are about to expire so I was going through the adventure game of getting all the paperwork together when I just realize I can't find my car license anymore. I used to have it in the car but somehow it's gone. I remember reading somewhere that you have to get a police report for that before you can get a new one (or get it renewed presumably) - but I don't quite understand what I am going to report as it isn't necessary stolen, just lost. Still need a police report? (Dreading the though of having to sit opposite 3-words-per-minute Somchai while he is taking down the details with a "how can I get a tip out of this" expression on his face).

Edited by Phil Conners

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anyone link me to a page somewhere that clarifies what the different colours of the bars at the top of the license means? My wife has a green bar with "Temporary Car" written in it. Beauracrats in Australia are giving me a hard time to prove that it's an "open" license and not a "provisional" license.

Would really appreciate some help. My googling is apparently too weak.

The motor office in Pattaya must be the most farang-unfriendly public office in Thailand. Not a single sign in English, nobody speak anything but Thai. 4 hours of paperwork and waiting. Every time there is a test it is announced in Thai first and only when all Thai's have gone through the tests do they call the farangs.

Pattaya City Expats Club have a checklist of what's needed here: http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expat...haiLicense.html - some updates to that: Apparently renewing a 5 years license does NOT require a medical certificate. I brought one because the PCEC said it was required but they gave it back to me with a "not necessary for this renewal".

In spite of "no tests required" they require 3 tests: a color test, a reaction test and a depth perception test. They also require those renewing a 5 years license to sit through a bit of Thai soap opera - some disaster stories about what can happen if you're not careful. Not a bad idea, but I think they should show it on national TV instead of at the drivers license office, so the majority of Thais who don't bother with a driving license can have the benefit of it as well.

Edited by Phil Conners

Latest news for Morchit. I got my 3rd 5 year licence today with no hassle.

Same documents as Page 1 plus Medical Certificate from my local Clinic. I had an Embassy letter confirming my address which had changed since the last licence. They retained both original documents.

They take the photographs.

You have to take eye tests for 5 year licences and sit through a one hour film on safe driving. The film had English sub titles and was quite good.

The eye tests were for:-

Colour blindness = OK

Reaction or emergency braking test = Press accelerator pedal under desk until a red light comes on and then hit the brake pedal. The problem here is that the pedals are too close to your chair and so I had three attempts before I got it right. Also the lady doing the test on me was unable to explain In English precisely what I was supposed to do.

Peripheral vision test = OK but where you had to place your nose on the machine was too low for me. I was wearing my driving glasses but the colour of the lights that I had to identify were behind my glasses. Fortunately my close up sight is good and the test was easy.

The cost is Baht 650 + Baht 5 for a little plastic wallet.

The lady who was dealing with foreigners could not speak English. She checked my documents, took the photographs, received my money and issued the licence.

The whole process excluding their lunch break took about two hours

Oh, apparently you can apply up to 90 days before expiry but I applied after expiry. This conveniently gets you to your next birthday after 5 years :).

I recommend you take a Thai person with you to help with the explanations.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news from Sukhumvit Soi 62 (Area 3).

I got my 1st 5 year license today with no hassle (20 minutes total time).

Same documents as Page 1, except no letter from the Embassy or Immigration confirming address; plus Medical Certificate.

I used my work permit to confirm my address which had changed since the last license.

The cost for a car license is 555THB + 100THB processing fee / motorcycle is 305THB + 100THB.

You can apply up to 90 days before expiry, and it will expire in the 5th year on your birthday.

I got my 1st 5 year license today with no hassle (20 minutes total time).

Same documents as Page 1, except no letter from the Embassy or Immigration confirming address; plus Medical Certificate.

I used my work permit to confirm my address which had changed since the last license.

The cost for a car license is 555THB + 100THB processing fee / motorcycle is 305THB + 100THB.

You can apply up to 90 days before expiry, and it will expire in the 5th year on your birthday.

An Ozzie friend renewed his 5-year license at Lob Buri this morning. As part of the documentation they required his Work Permit, said it's a new rule, no Work Permit, no license.

Something new here? I'm retired, don't have a WP.

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Is it only me who is getting more and more interested in the fact that most people on TV tend to take the mickey out of the Thais for being unable to provide correct information, when at the same time every single Farang tends to have absolutely no clue as to the correct address of Land and Transport in Sukhumvit?

It is NOT on Sukhumvit 62. Ignore ALL previous references to this address. The CORRECT address is probably somewhere between 99 and 101, but it sure as he** aint 62. How many of you have been there and not a single one has reflected over this...?????

Too many beers every day..? :)

Edited by Forethat

Applied for my temporary one year driving license today.

First of all, the biggest mistake by far was to search for the Department of Land & Transportation on Sukhumvit 62. Since there are hundreds of references to this address here on TV I was confident this was accurate. It wasn't. The place is located in a small soi with it's entry between Soi 99 and Soi 101 (it's not even on the same side as Soi 62). If someone ever again tells you to go to Soi 62 if you want a driving license, tell HIM to bugger of, because he is either:

1. Drunk

2. Completely disoriented

3. A crack head

4. Simply wrong and should refrain from providing information to others.

So, if you're driving along Sukhumvit in a southeastern direction, keep an eye out for a portal on your LEFT hand side just after Soi 99. Turn left and drive thru the portal and continue down the soi a couple of hundred yards. The building is on your left hand side.

I brought:

1. Passport + WP

2. Driving license from my native country

3. Certificate of address from the Embassy

4. Medical Certificate

All the tests were done in less than 15 mins, and after waiting one hour I got my picture taken and 3 minutes later my driving license was done. On my way out top the parking lot the girl who took my picture called me on my cell and asked me if I had a girlfriend.

I've just renewed my 5 year license at the Nonthaburi office.

Total time 1 1/2 hours including colour test, reaction braking test, and watching the road safety movie. There was no other test.

Documents required:

Old license

Passport

1 photocopy set of information page, visa page and current stamp page

Residency certificate from immigration

No application form or medical certificate required.

The place was packed but service was efficient, friendly and fast.

Just today renewed my 1 year licence from Bang Phu(?) that expired 18 months ago :D at the Transport office @ Sukhumvit 99ish

Arrived about 10:15AM and forgot that previously I needed a letter from my embassy - the girl on the reception desk told me that you can use your work permit instead. My workplace is currently closed for Songkran/Easter, but I decided to chance going there as the WP/Visa/Immigration lady is always busy, often works during the holidays and the price the embassy charges for the letter is extortionate. Luckily she was there and I got my WP and returned to the Transport office a little after 11AM. With:

Old Licence

Passport

Work Permit

Medical "Certificate" (not sure if necessary but only cost 60฿ so why chance it?)

Some cash

Made some photocopies of WP and PP, 2฿ a sheet, but the photocopy lady will squish 2 PP/WP scans onto one A4 sheet for you.

I was told that because the previous licence had expired over a year ago I had to resit the multiple choice test (in English). After finishing that just before midday I got a number and had 68 people in front of me.

Walked out at around 1:30PM with my new 5 year licence (almost 6 given it expires on my birthday) - 655฿. :D

All in all, I was very impressed with the service. :)

Edited by hextac

Renewed 5-year licence today at Bang Khun Thien (off Rama 2).

First to Level 2, Window 16 to submit documents. Needed Passport (original and copy of personal particulars page and current visa page) and Work Permit (original and copy of each page). Each page had to be signed.

Did not need photos.

After document submission, went upstairs to do colour test (say colour she points to), brake response test (easy), distance estimation (I wasn't sure what was required, but the guy helped), and peripheral vision test (my PV is poor, so failed the first time, but took a peek the second time and sort of guessed the other colour). I sensed they weren't out to fail you and would help a bit.

Then the road safety/awareness/courtesy film (one hour). I thought it was quite good, though a bit boring. (I'm easily pleased though.)

Then back downstairs to Window 18 to collect documents again, then to windows 1-6 with a queue number. When called, paid up and had my photo taken; then collected the licence.

All quite efficient, about 2.5 hours (busy day in there, pre-Songkran). My previous licence expired in mid-March, so by going in late I got an extra 11 months, as they take it up to your birthday after 5 years.

If you don't have a work permit (e.g. retired people), does a letter from the Embassy cover you?

Has anyone had to take the motor cycle test. Used my Canadian License to avoid

the regular driving license, but have to take the test for the motor cycle license.

So far had to give them copies of passport, health certificate, drivers license and

residence book.

Question: Could i also apply in Nakhon Phanom Provice for the Drivers License although I live in Bangkok?

Family of my BF lives there, and they have a car. In BKK we don't have a car, but we plan on getting one, so

it would be nice to have a Drivers License before we actually get one.

I never had a drivers License but I learned how to drive a Pick Up recently at BF's Hometown, would be nice to

have a license though and make everything nice and legal.

The Residency Certificate is something I've never heard of. Is it easy to get at Immigration in BKK?

Thanks in advance,

Nut

There seems to be some flexibility on what is accepted. Can anyone confirm if the below is acceptable?

-Passport and photocopies of necessary pages

-Medical certificate

-Work permit (as proof of address)

-International or driving license from home country

If someone could recommend a clinic or medical centre around the phahonyothin/mo chit area that can give me a medical certificate it would be helpful. I wish to avoid the rather expensive private hospitals (last time it was 1000bht for a doctors certificate and that was reduced with insurance).

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished licences at Chiang Mai Office (out near Big C on Hang Dong Road)Total time 45 minutes for car and motorbike.Arrived around 1445 and was out at 1530.No hassle at all.

Took following docs and photo copies(yes you do need 2 sets if applying for car and motorbike licences).

Passport data page and last entry stamp page plus visa

Yellow Tabien Baan

International licence

Medical cert(Chiang Mai Ram 100Baht)

Apec Card.

Had to do a reaction test and colour blindness test.

As i had a old Thai licence from 1994 with me they accepted that and gave me 5 yr car licence but only 1 year bike licence(old Thai licence only for car)

All in all a painless experience and ladies in the office helpful and friendly.

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

My cousin-in-law's father-in law (??) just bought his first driving licence from Klaeng (mid-way between Rayong and Chanthaburi). He reportedly gave a "friend" 600 baht and a photograph, and magically he received his new licence yesterday - no paperwork, no test, no ability to drive. A week ago when he drove the Toyota Vigo he had just bought (2nd hand, on finance) out of his soi he drove straight across the main road and up the dividing embankment before stalling when he ploughed into a convenient bush. When he has finished taking his labourers home (he has a "construction" business) he has to ask the neighbours to park for him, as he has not mastered reverse gear yet. Last week his son (my cousin-in-law's husband) pressed the wrong pedal by mistake when parking in front of the next-door neighbour's rented room and knocked down the front wall of the room. He's getting his licence next week!

All 100% true - be warned!

Hi there,

I have a couple of friends from the UK coming to stay for a few months - they have a multi-entry tourist visa.

They intend to buy a motorbike/scooter.

It appears from this thread they will need an International License - is that still the law or can they use their UK licenses??

thanks for the help

My 1 year license expired 2551, I have been driving since with no problems, except 100baht 1 time :)

I want to go and re-new, will i get the 5 year license after such a long period of my 1 year license being expired?

Any one know?

Cheers.

dsfbrit - they will need an international license to be safe... but they will probably get by with an English license... depending on where they are going... :D

Edited by Murf

As i had a old Thai licence from 1994 with me they accepted that and gave me 5 yr car licence but only 1 year bike licence(old Thai licence only for car)

All in all a painless experience and ladies in the office helpful and friendly.

Cheers :)

Maybe i should read a bit before posting!! :D

I have searched many of the 25 or 26 pages here on drivers licensing and so much has been devoted to renewing your license and this information is quite valuable. I am in need of a drivers license here in Thailand now, my past two overseas postings, Singapore and Bahrain, I have not driven as there was no need, the last time I drove was 5 years back when living in Taiwan.

As my license is expired since, what is the procedure for getting a new licenses? I have heard that a driving test is also required, that makes sense, where would I go to get particulars.

Thank You

C

If you have the old License from Taiwan you maybe able to exchange it for a Thai License...

Driving test is simple and can be done in 1 day at Mo Chit (if you are in Bkk) A 1 armed blind man could pass the test :)

If you have the old License from Taiwan you maybe able to exchange it for a Thai License...

Driving test is simple and can be done in 1 day at Mo Chit (if you are in Bkk) A 1 armed blind man could pass the test :)

Going to renew 5 year license on Monday, so thanks for all the info- especially the whereabouts of "Soi 62"- thats where I'm headed. Do I need the health certificate? I know, easy to get, but one less thing to do if I don't have to have it....oh, and hows the big bike parking?

Edited by Netfan

Renewed 5 year license today on soi 99/ 2? It's the soi past 99/1. go right up to the "Drivers License" window to get started. The whole thing took 2 hours, one hour of which was watching the movie, which is really a thai soap - subtitled in english- with a couple of "if you don't fasten your seat belt, its a 400 baht fine" thrown in. The staff are really friendly, with one exception.

I didn't get asked for a medical certificate, but a guy behind me did by a different clerk. The rest is just what everyone has said - the tests are silly. The whole thing is painless. What I brought- old licenses (mc & auto), 2 copies of passport front page and visa page, address certified from embassy + one copy, work permit 2 copies. No photos needed, they have a copy machine 1 baht per page.

hello just renewed my 1 year dl for a 5 year one what i needed was passport and all the copys

copys from my work permit a letter from a doctor that im healthy

and my old licence

i came there on the same day as whats printed as expire date

had to pay 505 baht + 100 baht + 10 baht and they make a new one on the spot

photographs were taken on a digital camera over there they didnt want my photos that i bring that day

this was in Koh samui

This is what printed information I got from the Phuket Provincial Land Office and Phuket Immgration Office today, scanned by Hewlet Packard optical charter recognition. It only got a few things wrong, which I corrected. Mostly... You need a set of copies for each license, car and motorbike. If you don't have the motorbike license in your home country, you have to take the test. I'll post about my experience when I get around to doing it. I'm busy with my one year extension visa at the the moment!

BEFORE 9.30 A. M

THAI DRIVER LICENSE

1. PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA AND TOURIST VISA (ORIGINAL) BEFORE YOUR VISA EXPIRES and PHOTO Copy

2. PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY OR WORK PERMIT

OR IMMIGRATION OFFICE (ORIGINAL) and PHOTO Copy

3. DOCTOR REPORT OR DOCTOR TREATMENT ( NOT OVER 1 MONTH)

4. INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE ORIGINAL and PHOTO Copy OR DRIVER LICENSE TRANSLATED IN ENGLISH FROM YOUR EMBASSY

(CONVENTION OR INTERNATIONAL ROAD TRAFFIC

OF 19 SEPTEMBER 1968 , 1949 )

See item #2 above. This is from the Phuket Immigration office as of today:

Certificate of Residence

To purchase a motor vehicle, motorbike, apply for Thai Driving License etc you will need a

Certificate of Residence here at the Phuket

Town Immigration Check Point.

To obtain the Certificate you will need to show the following.

1. Copy of your Passport (photo Page).A copy of the Visa in your Passport. A copy of your Departure Card TM6

2. Copy of Lease or Rental Agreement

3. Copy of Landlord or House Owners ID Card.

OR

1. Copy of your Passport (photo Page),A copy of the Visa in your Passport. A copy of your Departure Card TM6

2. Copy of Blue Book.

3. Copy of Landlease with a copy of Land Owners 10 Card -or- copy of Land Lease and Company Stamp.

NOTIFICATION FORM FOR HOUSE·MASTER OWNER OR

THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED.

Edited by Jimi007