Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I need a private driving lesson from english speaking driving tutor about 4-6 hours (maybe less?) to get into Left-hand traffic and get my Thai drivers license (I don't have international drivers license and I don't want to visit my home country to get it).

I've drivers license in my homecountry and been driving car for 8 consequent years. All I need is some kind of orientation and tips to drive in suicidal bangkok traffic and get thai drivers license easily.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there another way to obtain Thai drivers license without Int. Drivers License? Like participating theory test?

What document i need?

I am malaysian,

No work permit

Have non o visa

Staying with my thai wife home in bangkok

Hi "tommyuk77",

BTW, I am a also a Malaysian staying in Bangkok.

No, you can't have a Thai Driving licence.

You need a "Work Permit" or a "Retirement Visa"- Extension of One year stay.

I possess a Thai Driving Licence, because I am on Retirement Visa.

To get a Retirement Visa, you must be 50 years old and above and

you must fulfill certain financial requirements.

Is there another way to obtain Thai drivers license without Int. Drivers License? Like participating theory test?

What document i need?

I am malaysian,

No work permit

Have non o visa

Hi "tommyuk77",

What a load of hogwash Charlie, tommyuk77 most certainly can obtain a Thai drivers licence on his non O visa, along with the rest of the usual paperwork he will have to watch the video and do the theory test.

What document i need?

I am malaysian,

No work permit

Have non o visa

Hi "tommyuk77",

What a load of hogwash Charlie, tommyuk77 most certainly can obtain a Thai drivers licence on his non O visa, along with the rest of the usual paperwork he will have to watch the video and do the theory test.

thanks spoonman

My Dad wanted me to apply for a driving licence but you have to be 18 to have one, even though you can take lessons at 17. But apparently 17 year olds still drive on the road. I just wondered if anyone knew where I stood?

Lol, I have seen 8 year olds on motorbikes. 15 year olds with no licence, have a prank with a farang, put him in hospital with the result the child receiving a healthy payout (if that farang was not there this would not have been )

Is a work permit still acceptable as proof of residence for obtaining the 5 year license ? My one year expires next month.

I have to answer yes but considering your Name and the fact your a sponsor here shouldn't you know these types of things ?

Despite Spoonman's attempt at belittling genuine questions, and the fact that I am not a sponsor in this forum ( which he well knows ), I would like to add my experience of obtaining my 5 - year licence today in Pattaya.

I arrived early as I remember from last year, when I got my 1 - year license, that there can be quite a scrum. At 08.00 a lady started checking documents outside the main doors. I was close to the front of the "queue". She required

Copy passport photo page, and copies of my current extension of stay - signed

Copy of my work permit ( or my residence letter, I assume, if I didn't have the work permit ) - signed

Copy of my 1 - year licence ( which I was inclined to question as I had assumed they would keep the expiring licence ). It turned out that they actually return the old license to you, after punching a hole through it, so I guess that explains why they need a copy.

Medical certificate ( original ).

By 08.20 my documents had been checked, and my fee ( 605 Baht ) paid. By 08.30 my photograph had been taken. At 08.40 I had the new license in my hand, and was out of there.

Interesting how you got a 5 year prior to your one year expiring... as all others here indicate one must wait for expiry of your one year to obtain the five year (but dont leave it more than 12 months one said)

--------------------------------------------------------------

You pay, you pay, you pay.....

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved guys, I got my license yesterday. No need for you all to rush at once to answer my questions any more whistling.gif

Does anyone know if it's possible at all to use my Thai driving license to drive in England for a short 2 week trip, or will I have to wait a year to apply for an international drivers license?

Glad you sorted it yourself sometimes it is the best way to do really.

Not a lot of guys read the pinned subjects up top, I for one, I see you are not alone in asking questions up here so to speak, and not getting any answers or just unhelpful ones.

If you have questions like this you would be better off posting in a new topic.

You can use your Thai car driving license for up to one year in UK, be sure to let your insurance company know you are driving on a Thai driving license.

You can not use your motorcycle license but a car drivers license can be used to ride a 50cc machine with ' L ' plates but make sure you check things change.

K

Can't see much point to this pinned thread seeing as all the DLT department go about doing things in different ways. e.g. what everyone calls a 5year license my second license was a 6year one so work that out.:blink:

I wouldn't bother asking questions on pinned topic's they don't seem to get answered much as ' ha55ha ' found out..

As for licenses 1year or 5year just along to your local DLT office and go through the motions, it's nothing to worry about.

Here's a direct link to go to for info and addresses :-

http://driving.infor...h/thai-dmv.html

If you have a question start a new topic.

Edited by Kwasaki

Can't see much point to this pinned thread seeing as all the DLT department go about doing things in different ways. e.g. what everyone calls a 5year license my second license was a 6year one so work that out.:blink:

You license is pegged to your birthdate, so if you go 1 day after your birthday you will effectively get 6yrs till your next renewal.

You license is pegged to your birthdate, so if you go 1 day after your birthday you will effectively get 6yrs till your next renewal.

So when I go for my renewal in 2012 it will be until I'm 70 years young then.:D

Hi, I got a bit confused about re-newing my expired Thai driving license.

The authority requested me to submit a address confirmation from immigration but when I went to the immigration office, they asked me to go to my embassy, which I supposed it is not the way it should be done. Anyway, is it because I don't have a working permit as I am not working anymore in Thailand.

Please help as I had trouble everytime I go thru a traffic police checkpoint.

Thank you very much.

You need a residence letter from the thai immigration .

, this is what you need to do

Thai Immigration Residence Letter (Dated Within Last 30 Days)

This document is obtained from Thai Immigration. When you enter the Immigration Office, tell

them you need a residence letter to get your Thai driving license.

1. Application for Letter of Residence

2. Two (2) Photographs - Passport Size

(approximately 4x5 cm or 1 5/8 x 2 inches)

3. Passport Original

4. Photocopies of pages in your passport

a. Identity Page

b. Latest Visa/Visa Extension Stamp

c. Last Entry Stamp into Thailand

5. Photocopy of your Departure Card (should be stapled in your passport)

6. Evidence of your current address - Ownership papers, rental agreement, or lease

7. Evidence that you reside at the address - utility bill, cable/satellite TV bill, etc. showing

your name and the address

8. Fee for Letter - 200 Baht

HOPE THIS HELPS

Thank you very much for the help.

One more question, since I m staying with my Honey, which all the bills & address are her name, so how to justify our address?

FYI, I did not registered for married and also not having a work permit.

Thank you again in advance.

You need a residence letter from the thai immigration .

, this is what you need to do

Thai Immigration Residence Letter (Dated Within Last 30 Days)

This document is obtained from Thai Immigration. When you enter the Immigration Office, tell

them you need a residence letter to get your Thai driving license.

1. Application for Letter of Residence

2. Two (2) Photographs - Passport Size

(approximately 4x5 cm or 1 5/8 x 2 inches)

3. Passport Original

4. Photocopies of pages in your passport

a. Identity Page

b. Latest Visa/Visa Extension Stamp

c. Last Entry Stamp into Thailand

5. Photocopy of your Departure Card (should be stapled in your passport)

6. Evidence of your current address - Ownership papers, rental agreement, or lease

7. Evidence that you reside at the address - utility bill, cable/satellite TV bill, etc. showing

your name and the address

8. Fee for Letter - 200 Baht

HOPE THIS HELPS

One more question, since I m staying with my Honey, which all the bills & address are her name, so how to justify our address?

If "your Honey" owns the house or condo you're staying in, make copies of these pages from the blue book: Address page (first page), and the page with her name on it.

Also supply a copy of your Honey's ID card. Have her sign all the copies. That should do it.

If renting, copy of the rental contract and a copy of the persons ID card that's the renter.

Thanks for all the help but I think I will only renew it after the flood :P .

If "your Honey" owns the house or condo you're staying in, make copies of these pages from the blue book: Address page (first page), and the page with her name on it.

Also supply a copy of your Honey's ID card. Have her sign all the copies. That should do it.

If renting, copy of the rental contract and a copy of the persons ID card that's the renter.

My Thai driver lic expired a little over three years ago as I was not living in the country. I went today to get new Thai licenses and was informed that I could not get new Licenses due to my licenses being expired for the three years. I was told that I must take a class, written test and driving test. I informed them that I have a current drivers lic from America and Dubai but it did not matter. This was done upcountry and not in Pattaya. Does anyone have any idea regarding this matter ? Is this correct or are the country licenses department misinformed ?

Thanks

I have an American Driver Licenses. Where in Thailand can I get an international Licenses based on my American Licenses ?

Can I drive on an international Licenses even if I am living in Thailand on a Non Img visa ?

I know that an Australian licence is not legal in Thailand and the OZ Gov urges you to get an International licence before you leave country.

I purchased an International licence at our National Roads and Motorists Association (NRMA) and used this anywhere in the world I travelled. Bear in mind it is normally only any good for 3 Months from the time you arrive in country.

The other advantage of having an International licence before you come to Thailand, is that they give you a Thai drivers or riders licence on sighting the International licence. NO Tests at all. At least that is what they did when I went for my licence at Chonbury.

However I did have to do a test when I went for my Bike Licence as I have never had one, it was easy.

I have an American Driver Licenses. Where in Thailand can I get an international Licenses based on my American Licenses ?

Can I drive on an international Licenses even if I am living in Thailand on a Non Img visa ?

As far as I know to obtain an International Drivers Permit (no such thing as an international drivers licence) in Thailand you need to be holding a current 5 yr Thai licence.

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

Would a UK driving licence be sufficiant, have read so many different ways of obtaining a d.l i am somewhat confused now! If not and I have to take a test what do i do if i have no car? hire one or something?

Cheers in advance

I just got my motorcycle and car licenses in Chiang Mai on my Canadian picture license today, Oct 31,2011. Colour test and reaction test only. No written and certainly no driving test.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to change your home address on your driving license? I will have my new home address recorded in my work permit and wondered whether it was possible to have my new address put on the back of my license now, i.e. a new license issued with my new address on it now rather than waiting nearly five years and updating the license upon renewal. The driving license is a useful form of ID so I wondered whether it is possible to update the information appearing on it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is correct to say that there is no such thing as an international driver's licence. You obtain an IDP(transliteration) with your current licence....make sure that you get the issuer to check scooter capability(50cc), as you can usually get a motorcycle licence out of it. Turned down at one location?Try, try again. Mor Chit(2nd floor) is usually the best. Dress nice, smile and have everything in order. There seems to be different reports about a medical for renewal, so take one anyways because they are cheap.

Is it possible to change your home address on your driving license? I will have my new home address recorded in my work permit and wondered whether it was possible to have my new address put on the back of my license now, i.e. a new license issued with my new address on it now rather than waiting nearly five years and updating the license upon renewal. The driving license is a useful form of ID so I wondered whether it is possible to update the information appearing on it.

Yes, Garry it is possible. :P Just pop on down to the local Department of Transport with your driving license, Work Permit (in which your new address has been recorded) and a copy of the same. They will prepare a form for you to fill out and sign and then take your picture so they can issue you a new license containing your new data. If you go first thing in the morning the whole process will take only a few minutes. It only costs 155 Baht for the new license. Other changes can be recorded too provided you have the official documents to back up such changes.

Go to the AAA website and you can apply for an IDP over the net if you have an address back home to send it to and it can then be forwarded to you here. It seems a pain but is really painless and helps considerably to cut the red tape once here. You can also renew the same way in the future as long as your stateside license is current.

JFYI Your visa has no bearing but as Spoon says you can't get a Thai IDP until you're past your probationary 1 year license period and have obtained your 5 year license..

Edited by WarpSpeed

You were very very lucky :o

yep possibly but it's worth a shot if you don't want to take the driving test's

should have made it a little clearer, I did also have the other necisarry stuff, a Non-Im visa and a letter from British Embassey stating residence, they accepted the photocard licence instead of a IDP and didn't need to get it translated!

what if your licence has expired? I have an Australian drivers licence which expired 5 months ago. Been making enquiries about getting it renewed from here but chances look pretty grim and I don't fancy spending 30,000baht going back to Aust. just to renew licence. I may have to unless there are alternatives, like Koa San Road licences. Are they any good or are they not worth the risk?

There are provisions to renew your Australian Drivers licence whilst you remain here in Thailand the RTA will send you the renewal forms or you can google their site.

• 4 weeks later...

Well today was the day....renew from 1 year to 5 yr (car and motor bike) in Pattaya ...

Armed with original residency letter x2, medical cert x 2, copy photo page from passport x 2, copy TM card/latest visa x 2, copy front and rear of existing licences, (i had copies of all these docs, but was told that these were not needed), plus original licence cards...

Got there at 8am and there was about 30 or so people waiting outside (doors not open)

At 8.15 a lady came out and said renewals que on the left side and new applications que on the right - which got us about 6 from the front.....

At 8.30 they start the processing and we were ushered inside - waited about 10 mins then up stairs, gave my docs to a lady, paid the fee - 5 mins later my named called and photo taken - back to waiting room for 5 mins, then called to collect new licences...

No colour blindness or any other tests for that matter..

While i was doing this my bird got the road tax for the car and the scooter......

Was out the door with my 2 five year licences and 2 new tax discs, and on my way, just before 9am.........

Result in anyones book......