Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

mess 723 - re medical cert....

pretty sure you do - the lady put the docs into a specific order and threw out ones she didn't need (copies of all the docs) - she didn't throw out the medical certs, so this would indicate that they are needed....

also there was a Thai man in front of me and he had a medical cert.....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no such thing as renewing from 1 year to 5 year. You are applying for a 5 year license after holding a 1 year license and you should take a medical certificate when 'applying'. Renewing a 5 year license does not require a medical certificate.

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS FLASH

Be aware that in some provinces the test is now 3 days! Same as before but extra VDO lessons on day two

Day 1 Eye/Reaction test

Day 2 Lesson / VDO + Theory test on computer

Day 3 Practical

You mean they don't check you for syphilis for a drivers license? Lol

Serious question now, no previous thai license, farang one expired a long time ago, would appreciate the steps required to get a thai one.

Sorry if this has been asked previously.

Thanks

Replaced my 1 year temp with 5 year license last friday. Along with a medical cert Land Transport Office also required a Certificate of Residency from Immigration... something new as I did not need the Residency Cert when I got the one year temporary license a year ago.

Replaced my 1 year temp with 5 year license last friday. Along with a medical cert Land Transport Office also required a Certificate of Residency from Immigration... something new as I did not need the Residency Cert when I got the one year temporary license a year ago.

Requirement of a Residence Certificate is not something new, it has always been required, never heard of anyone receiving a Thai driving license before without a Residence Certificate.

However requirements do vary at different DLTs. Where did you manage to get your one year temporary license without supplying a Residence Certificate?

Serious question now, no previous thai license, farang one expired a long time ago, would appreciate the steps required to get a thai one.

Thanks

If you’re going for both motorcycle and car, bring two copies each of:

Main page passport.

Visa page passport.

Last entry stamp and TM card.

Residence certificate.

Medical certificate.

You will need to do a written and a driving test at the DLT, as well as some minor vision and reaction tests. Photos are taken there so no need to bring along.

The requirements are most likely to be found somewhere in this 30 page tread. wink.png

The one year temp in Sakon Nakhon. 5 year in Udon Thani.

Interesting, maybe someone in Sakon Nakon can verify that RCs are still not required at that DLT. Does save you a trip to immigration.

(Note that a work permit can of course be used instead of an RC.)

this week I obtained a 1 year driving license from a land transport office in southern Suphanburi with the following documentation:

- copy main/ID page of passport

- copy of extension of stay page

- copy of residence certificate from immigration, original was returned

- medical certificate

- copy of current valid California driver's license

Color, periferal vision, depth perception and reaction tests were required.

Took about an hour; courteous and efficient staff.

I obtained a Thai Motorcycle and Thai Auto Drivers license today the DLT at Sukumvit Soi 99. The staff was very friendly and assisted me throughout the process. Here is the morning,s activity:

Arrived at DLT at 08:00 and obtained two application forms from the information desk just inside the main door. Signed front and back as instructed (by english speaking staff) and got in the sue at window 10.

Window 10 is a document check station and the clerk checked all my documents:

1. Passport and copy of details page, current visa page and departure card (2 copies since I applied for both car and motorcycle.)

2. Yellow También Baan and 2 copy. (Proof of residence.)

3. International Drivers license and 2 copies. ( copy all pages that are in english.)

4. US drivers license and 2 copies.

5. Medical certificate and 1 copy.

All documents in order so I was given a sue number and sent to door 15.

At the waiting area for door 15 I was instructed to watch a video the explained the physical tests that I was about to undergo.

First test was a peripheral vision test as explained elsewhere in this forum. Then I stepped on the gas and brake pedals for the reflex test. Lastly, I completed the depth perception test. The staff conducting the test spoke english and she was very helpful in explaining every test.

Having successfully completed the physical tests, I was sent to counter 18 and received another que number. When my number came up I sat at desk 6 and the lady checked my documents again, collected 360 Baht and sent me to window 11 for a stamp. I then returned to desk 6 the lady took my picture and processed both licenses. I received a car license and 2 receipts totaling 205 Baht and a motorcycle license and 2 receipt totaling 155 Baht.

I checked everything and was out the door at 10:30.

Note: Many sites state is that you must bring pictures, but this is no longer true. Also, a Yellow Tambien Baan accepted at this office as proof of residence.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would throw this into this topic for those who are with TW/TGF, went to local DL place with wife to apply for 5 year car licence from I year temporary one.

Visit town doc for medical certificate, cost 30 Baht

Photo copy wife ID & Tabien Baan.

Hands over money for licence

TW takes two red/green eye tests.

Does brake test.

Has a Photo taken

Licence issued, 5 year one, to her birthday date.

Time taken, about 15 mins.

Farang hubby, has DL from a few years back, and just chats good looking counter staff up.

ph34r.png

My 1 year license expires 11 feb this year so ineed to get the 5 year license next but my non-o visa expired last month, my last entry stamp is still valid so can i still get my license with the expired visa? thanks

You should have no problems getting the 5 year license with your current status.

Thanks

That's obvious, look at how many drivers here have already lost their minds biggrin.png ....

Edited by WarpSpeed

This is the sign in the Samui office, which I believe is the nationwide requirement,

post-7384-0-32029600-1329048121_thumb.jp

There have not been any recent changes in the law

If you go equipped with the documents on the list you will get your licence.

There may be minor exceptions at a few local offices. TIT

The residence certificate :

1, can be obtained from your embassy

2, A yellow tabien bahn will suffice

3. A letter from the local immigration office where you report, if they will issue it.

A current Non imm stamp in the passport is required, not an actual visa.

Many people will be in re-entry permits.

IMO you should be able to speak basic Thai, if not how are you going to cope with events on the road,

let alone the LTD officials? However IME most have LTD staff have a little English

Let's try to keep future discussions to those exceptions at local offices

Thanks

Thanks, very helpful! This question was probably answered in some older post but the chain is way too long to read now: Please tell me, what is a tabien bahn and how/where does one get it?

TG

Thanks, very helpful! This question was probably answered in some older post but the chain is way too long to read now: Please tell me, what is a tabien bahn and how/where does one get it?

TG

Tabien bahn is proof of house ownership and should have been given to you at time of purchase but if one does not own then you need to get a proof of residence letter either from your embassy or from Immigration..

Edited by WarpSpeed

TG

Tabien bahn is proof of house ownership and should have been given to you at time of purchase but if one does not own then you need to get a proof of residence letter either from your embassy or from Immigration..

Thanks! I don't own a home so now my question is: does anyone know whether it's generally easier to get the residence letter from Immigration or an embassy? I suppose embassies vary, I'm Canadian.

Cheers,

TG

Thanks! I don't own a home so now my question is: does anyone know whether it's generally easier to get the residence letter from Immigration or an embassy? I suppose embassies vary, I'm Canadian.

Cheers,

TG

Foreigners can not be entered into normal tabien baan (blue book) unless you have Permanent Residence status. Even if you own your condo. But you can obtain so called Yellow book, which looks the same as the blue one but is for foreigners. No need to own property. There is separate threads on this on the forum to explain what it actually is and how to get one.

If you are in Bangkok, then get the embassy letter as that is what they expect and is the norm. This is easier.

If you are outside of Bangkok, get the letter from nearest immigration as this will be cheaper and more convenient. Outside BKK the immi letter seems to be the norm.

Work permit also accepted as proof of address.

Cheers,

TG

If you are in Bangkok, then get the embassy letter as that is what they expect and is the norm. This is easier.

Thanks!

This is the sign in the Samui office, which I believe is the nationwide requirement,

post-7384-0-32029600-1329048121_thumb.jp

There have not been any recent changes in the law

If you go equipped with the documents on the list you will get your licence.

There may be minor exceptions at a few local offices. TIT

3. A letter from the local immigration office where you report, if they will issue it.

A current Non imm stamp in the passport is required, not an actual visa.

Many people will be in re-entry permits.

IMO you should be able to speak basic Thai, if not how are you going to cope with events on the road,

let alone the LTD officials? However IME most have LTD staff have a little English

Let's try to keep future discussions to those exceptions at local offices

Thanks

dated info

old DL must not be expired any more, you can get a new one before old expires. My Gf and I just did.

as stated in #4, "NON" (visa) can be replaced by certficate of residence, just did

• 2 weeks later...

th_A-Annoucer2.jpg?t=1265029987 What you will need when applying for your FIRST 1 year Thai drivers license:

• If you can not read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.
  • Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
  • Signed copies of the passport's first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card.
  • A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).

Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification.

If you are working in Thailand: the blue workbook, better known as your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!

• A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)
  • 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (photo service is available on the premises).
  • Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).
  • Note that 1 set of these documents is required per licence applications. However, when applying for both a car and a motorcycle license, an extra copy of the doctor's certificate and the letter of address will suffice for the second application.

I plan on going through the process in about a month and will let everyone know of my results! th_an_cheers.gif?t=1318072024

Edited by MikeOKitches

th_A-Annoucer2.jpg?t=1265029987 What you will need when applying for your FIRST 1 year Thai drivers license:

• If you can not read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.
  • Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
  • Signed copies of the passport's first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card.
  • A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).

Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification.

If you are working in Thailand: the blue workbook, better known as your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!

• A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)
  • 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (photo service is available on the premises).
  • Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).
  • Note that 1 set of these documents is required per licence applications. However, when applying for both a car and a motorcycle license, an extra copy of the doctor's certificate and the letter of address will suffice for the second application.

I plan on going through the process in about a month and will let everyone know of my results! th_an_cheers.gif?t=1318072024

You have bit outdated information.

1. Photos are not needed as they take them with digital camera at the DLT and print direct to the DL.

2. In Bangkok the embassy letter is the norm, outside immigration letter and there might be a "fee" and you should get it same day

3. Apart from above, also yellow house book and work permit can be used as proof or address

4. Intenational DL (the correct one which is translation of you home country DL, not bought from internet) does not need to be certified by your embassy. Only if you don't have the IDP and use home country DL only you need to translate and get it stamped by embassy. If your home country DL is in English most likely you don't need any stamps from embassy

5. While non-immigrant visa remains a requirement some DLT's are know to issue one year temp DL without it

Edit: Read Astral post above on the list of requirements from Samui. That is the official list but note that some DLT's or officers apply their own rules. More strict or might not require all the paperwork.

Edited by MJo