Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do I need to have a Cert. of Residence from Immigration, or will a document from the local amphur office stating my address do?

Chatujak DoLT. Applying for 5 yr Car license after holding a 1 yr which will be then out of date.

If so, what is the name of the document from the Amphur office called? (for example, the doc to declare you are still married is called a Kor Ror 2 or Kor Ror 3.)

Thanks.

Do I need to have a Cert. of Residence from Immigration, or will a document from the local amphur office stating my address do?

Chatujak DoLT. Applying for 5 yr Car license after holding a 1 yr which will be then out of date.

If so, what is the name of the document from the Amphur office called? (for example, the doc to declare you are still married is called a Kor Ror 2 or Kor Ror 3.)

Thanks.

" Do I need to have a cert of Residence " depends on what the DLT wants now.

If you remember what paperwork wise you had to enable you to get a 1 year driving licence then you just take the same stuff along to your DLT to get a 5 year licence.

That's not to say they made of moved the goal post's, the best way is to call in with the mrs and make a check list of what you need.

^ Not quite as easy as that.

Always got a CoR to get my DL's. Now with the Chaeng Wattana Immigration shambols, and immigration just open after songkran, it's a major pain to get one from my house. Also rather not waste half a day taking the wife and baby down to the DoLT just to ask, no point in phoning as they'll just make up an answer. Amphur office is close enough.

Anyone know what the amphur document stating that you are living at whatever address is called? (or abrieviated to?)

^ Not quite as easy as that.

Always got a CoR to get my DL's. Now with the Chaeng Wattana Immigration shambols, and immigration just open after songkran, it's a major pain to get one from my house. Also rather not waste half a day taking the wife and baby down to the DoLT just to ask, no point in phoning as they'll just make up an answer. Amphur office is close enough.

Anyone know what the amphur document stating that you are living at whatever address is called? (or abrieviated to?)

The problem is that every DLT throughout Thailand do things different.

So if you presented a CoR before to get your 1year licence they may require that again.

Certain DLT's will accept for proof of address from any of the following not all they may insist on a perticular one :-

Letter from local police confirming your address of stay.

Letter from local Thai Gov office confirming your address of stay.

Certificate from Immigration comfirming address of stay.

Yellow House book.

Work permit.

Can't think of anything else.

I noticed that both my car and m/c drivers licenses are out of date.

Our local office in Fang says I must have a certificate proving residence.

I cannot get this from the Immigration in Fang (too lazy), and Chiangmai say they are too busy so to get it at my Embassy.

The British Consulate charge over 3000 baht for this letter.....

They are closed today ...Easter Monday so i cannot ask them what I need to take tomorrow to get it...and I cannot wait until they open at 9 am. before leaving Fang.

Does anyone know what is needed to get this letter....and is it really necessary or is my local office just pulling my strings?

I have been on Non-immigrant 'O' for marriage for many years (one year extensions).

Edited by fabianfred

I noticed that both my car and m/c drivers licenses are out of date.

Our local office in Fang says I must have a certificate proving residence.

I cannot get this from the Immigration in Fang (too lazy), and Chiangmai say they are too busy so to get it at my Embassy.

The British Consulate charge over 3000 baht for this letter.....

They are closed today ...Easter Monday so i cannot ask them what I need to take tomorrow to get it...and I cannot wait until they open at 9 am. before leaving Fang.

Does anyone know what is needed to get this letter....and is it really necessary or is my local office just pulling my strings?

I have been on Non-immigrant 'O' for marriage for many years (one year extensions).

I see the only way out of your situation is to telephone or go to your nearest DLT office and ask them what they require, may one of what's in the above post will do.

quote :-

Letter from local police confirming your address of stay.

Letter from local Thai Gov office confirming your address of stay.

Certificate from Immigration comfirming address of stay.

Yellow House book.

Work permit.

unquote.

Directions to DMV from Chatuchak mrt?

Any hope without IDP but US valid lic?

No residence from embassy but have affirm to marry from emb with address <2yrs. Also banking mail and hospital cards?

Also no wp but signed contract last week???

Want to try today, thx.

Just came out of DLT. Must have letter embassy or wp period.

Also states on paper work IDL if not, translated copy of yours CERTIFIED by embassy.

What bs. 400 die on the road every big holiday, my wife has changed apts 4x since her lic issued. Address is irrelevant here as it is in states.

Bet there are a half million Thai driving with no lic whatsoever.

I'm never going to have the time in months ahead.

I had solid proof of residence. She shut me down.

Don't even bother wo the kit.

Just came out of DLT. Must have letter embassy or wp period.

Also states on paper work IDL if not, translated copy of yours CERTIFIED by embassy.

What bs. 400 die on the road every big holiday, my wife has changed apts 4x since her lic issued. Address is irrelevant here as it is in states.

Bet there are a half million Thai driving with no lic whatsoever.

I'm never going to have the time in months ahead.

I had solid proof of residence. She shut me down.

Don't even bother wo the kit.

Just get the residence certificate from immigration, which is where most people are getting it from.

Nakhon Sawan Immigration are refusing Certs of Res (23/4/14) for driving licences (mine is 5 year renewal after 1st year expiring next month).

I was actually going to ask could I email docs to save driving from Uthai Thani, now I have to get hotels & pay for Embassy form in Bkk.

Anyone else been refused or accepted from Nakhon Sawan?

Local DLT weren't very helpful either, they just said they need same docs as last year (1st year licence at Chatuchak, Bkk) - might just wing it & say they accepted 90 Days receipt/rental agreement or confirmation from local police.

Nakhon Sawan Immigration are refusing Certs of Res (23/4/14) for driving licences (mine is 5 year renewal after 1st year expiring next month).

I was actually going to ask could I email docs to save driving from Uthai Thani, now I have to get hotels & pay for Embassy form in Bkk.

Anyone else been refused or accepted from Nakhon Sawan?

Local DLT weren't very helpful either, they just said they need same docs as last year (1st year licence at Chatuchak, Bkk) - might just wing it & say they accepted 90 Days receipt/rental agreement or confirmation from local police.

Just a Quick update from Pattaya Driving Centre 29-04-14
I went to renew 5 Yr Licence and was told they will not accept the yellow Book anymore
Long story short, went back into Pattaya and used my Yellow book to obtain LOR from Immigration department in Jomtien, Very easy 20 Minutes and 500 Baht for 2 Copies (Bike and Car)

Back to Driving Centre with the LOR and no problem, no medical needed for the 5 Year renewal just

1: colour identification test

2: Depth perception test

3: Emergency brake test

Followed by watch a Video for 1 Hour

Missed getting it all done by Lunchtime, even though I arrived back at the office 10.30, so had to wait until 1Pm for Photo and Licence, all done and out of there by 1.20
Bit annoying about the Yellow Book, but maybe this might help others
Cheers

Thanks for the update, but really strange they did not accept the yellow housebook.

Yep !! strange for sure, maybe didn't enquire enough with other people in the DLT office about the non-exceptants of yellowbook.blink.png

Then again Pattaya seems to be a seperate state with it's own rules, I'll not comment further on the area.bah.gif

I did ask, but the Lady said that they used to accept them, but not now, would not budge, no point making an issue so went off to get the LOR

a little painful that's all

Maybe that's why English like me get called " whinging pomes " I would go along to my head office of the province that issued me with the Yellow book and report the DLT because apart from other things the yellow book is obtain for as a proof of address it is used for many other things as well within Thailand.

My 5 years is up soon.

As I remember I went to police station with ex wife. Got a letter

Then went to immigration got another letter

Then doctor quick check up.

Then I got my licence.

Don't have or know what a yellow book is :-(

Although my name is not on the tabien bahn as an entry .. it is there has father to children .

I think at the time I had non O visa .but not sure. But now apparently it's compulsory for a 5 year

Things change all the time here. Just gotta keep up to date.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My 5 years is up soon.

As I remember I went to police station with ex wife. Got a letter

Then went to immigration got another letter

Then doctor quick check up.

Then I got my licence.

Don't have or know what a yellow book is :-(

Although my name is not on the tabien bahn as an entry .. it is there has father to children .

I think at the time I had non O visa .but not sure. But now apparently it's compulsory for a 5 year

Things change all the time here. Just gotta keep up to date.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Things change true and DLT's change their requirements as well, no worries really personally I think it's always best to pop along sometime to your nearsest DLT and find out what you need when you go to renew.

I went to renew 5 Yr Licence and was told they will not accept the yellow Book anymore

Long story short, went back into Pattaya and used my Yellow book to obtain LOR from Immigration department in Jomtien, Very easy 20 Minutes and 500 Baht for 2 Copies (Bike and Car)

Back to Driving Centre with the LOR and no problem, no medical needed for the 5 Year renewal just

Missed getting it all done by Lunchtime, even though I arrived back at the office 10.30, so had to wait until 1Pm for Photo and Licence, all done and out of there by 1.20

Cheers

Thanks for your post. Apart from the three tests above, didn't you also have to do the peripheral vision colour test?

My Thai friend also tests these. He told me it's easy. You can go there, test and pass, only take your time. Maybe local don't have an English test so you have to go to Morchit.

Edited by Emilp

Does anyone know of any DLT where one needn't do any tests when renewing a 1 yr licence to a 5 yr one?

1) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 1 YEAR

- TAKE A THEORY TEST

2) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEARS

- TAKE A THEORY TEST AND PRACTICAL TEST

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471:renew&Itemid=88

Theory test if the 1 yr license has been expired for over a year.

Theory and driving test if it is more than 3 years.

Nope, Just those 3

Cheers

Thanks for your post. Apart from the three tests above, didn't you also have to do the peripheral vision colour test?

I had a five year license that ran out at least 7 years ago.

It was the old style laminated ones with photo.

I have no idea where they are now, will I need to find them for renewing or do you think that is long enough to just get a new one? Passport numbers are all different now as well.

Even with the expired license they will probably make you do the all the theory and practical tests.

Up to 3 years expired they will let you renew without doing the whole kaboodle.

Sent from my V370 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a five year license that ran out at least 7 years ago.

It was the old style laminated ones with photo.

I have no idea where they are now, will I need to find them for renewing or do you think that is long enough to just get a new one? Passport numbers are all different now as well.

OK !! You will have to start again, if you still have a valid licence ( license) biggrin.png still from you own country providing it is writen in English you can go and get a new 1 Year Thai licence and start again towards the 5 year licence, the jumps and hoops are very easy, no worries.

Cheers

Nope, Just those 3

That's assuming he goes to the the same DLT you did.smile.png

Kwasaki, you may know this.

My 10!! year bike and car licenses expire next year. Will I get again 10 years or do have to settle for the same meager 5 years everybody is getting these days?