Non-immigrant O Visa

Hi.

I've currently a Non-Immigrant B visa. I'm married to a Thai and have a Thai daughter. We all stay here in Thailand.

It it true that if I go to immigration together with my wife, and we show her ID, my passport, our marriage certificate and complete a form that I can be granted a three-month Non immigrant O visa? However, if I've lots of cash in the bank--400k, they'll go the whole hog and give me a 1-year visa?

Also, if I've a Non-O visa can I extend it anytime I like? For example: two months before it's about to expire? Are there any time lmit rules on this? Cause if I went on holdays back home, I'd still like to have the visa when I returned to Thailand, not forgetting that I'd need a re-entry permit, of course :) .

Edited by somchaismith

Immigration will issue a 60 day extension to visit your Wife.

These are the regulations for a 12 month extension based on having a Thai Wife.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

You will need a letter from your Thai Bank verifying the balance . Plus an up to date bank book plus a few other things.

They usually like you to apply for the extension with about a month of you current permission to stay remaining.

No you would not be granted any type of visa as you currently have a non immigrant visa. What you probably heard was that you can convert a tourist or visa exempt entry into a single entry non immigrant visa. But that is only done in connection with a one year extension of stay so you would also have to provide the financials for that.

You do not have to change visas all that is required is a non immigrant visa entry which you already have.

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife this only requires your marriage certificate, wifes house book and ID card. Plus copies of these and your relevent passport pages and departure card.

You can get a one year extension of stay if you can prove an income of 40K baht or have 400K baht in a Thai bank for 2 months (3 at some immigration offices).

You can apply for an extension within the last 30 days of your permit to stay.

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife this only requires your marriage certificate, wifes house book and ID card. Plus copies of these and your relevent passport pages and departure card.

Can this be done again, after each 60 days is nearly completed?

But, it also can be applied for before 30-days, right?

No you would not be granted any type of visa as you currently have a non immigrant visa. What you probably heard was that you can convert a tourist or visa exempt entry into a single entry non immigrant visa. But that is only done in connection with a one year extension of stay so you would also have to provide the financials for that.

Okay, this makes sense.

Immigration will issue a 60 day extension to visit your Wife.

OK, an extension...an extension of what kind of visa? An extension of any visa? Please elaborate.

Your B visa as I wrote before. It does not matter if you have a B or an O they are both non immigrant visas. That is all you need.

Can this be done again, after each 60 days is nearly completed?

But, it also can be applied for before 30-days, right?

You can only get the 60 day extension once.

Normal rule is within the last 30 days. They will make exceptions if you have a valid reason such a planned trip out of the country.

These are the regulations for a 12 month extension based on having a Thai Wife.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Is it possible to have a bank account in Thai, when you don't *already* have a visa?

You can open a bank account. You just have to try different banks and branchs. Being able to show proof on address will help.

This webpage has the best info I have found online about opening accounts it should be the same for any bank.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...+Accounts.htm#1

Yes quite true I have an account eith the Siam bank